Transition Spur - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Transition Spur

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonpaul View Post
    I found my rattle and it was not the frame! Maybe you can guess what it was Ė but itís definitely unusual.

The rattle noise was only when pedaling but did not vary when cranking hard and it happened in all gears. Ruled out was: cassette, bottom bracket, seatpost, chainring & chain, pedals, wheels and brakes.

Bet you cant guess what it was!
    Cleats?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    good guess, but no!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    18 bearings on the Ranger apparently! So 3 times as many as the Spur. I too was all set on a Ripley, I had a Mojo HD 10 years ago and loved that bike so the idea of being back on Ibis was super appealing, but their UK support has been poor recently IME and actually getting one was proving hard.

I got info on the Spur and was set on that after, my LBS is one of the biggest TR dealers in the UK and while I'm still waiting for my Spur GX, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. Also going to change the wheels, would love carbon but going for Hunt XC Wides, under 1700g and less than £350. Sticking my favourite Chromag bar/stem and Stylo carbon cranks from my old bike and she'll be ready rip when it arrives!
    Did they give you a timeline on that delivery at all? Before they went to ďout of stockĒ it was saying May 2021

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    good guess, but no!
    Damn dude just tell us!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well good news, I finally have my Spur! It was a few days late rather than a few months. It is a fast bike. Seriously fast. Took a few KoMs on my first ride, and knocked close to 20 seconds of my PB on my short XC loop. It's like a 4 minute section with a half decent downhill/singletrack section, so flat and then a flat out climb back to the start. Feels super poppy, lightweight and yet seems to have great small bump performance too, will need more/bigger rides and more varied terrain to get it really dialled in. Feels great from the off though.

It's a stock GX build with Hunt XC Wide wheels as an upgrade and my preferred Chromag Cutlass bar, Ranger stem and Ergon grips. With XT trail pedals, my cheap scales are saying it's 12.35kg with cage and Exposure light mount, so not half bad! Still need to put my carbon cranks on, but those DUB ones are on tight! Need a longer allen key for sure! My LBS (UK based) had 2 more GX's in stock (M and L, both in Black Powder).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well good news, I finally have my Spur! It was a few days late rather than a few months. It is a fast bike. Seriously fast. Took a few KoMs on my first ride, and knocked close to 20 seconds of my PB on my short XC loop. It's like a 4 minute section with a half decent downhill/singletrack section, so flat and then a flat out climb back to the start. Feels super poppy, lightweight and yet seems to have great small bump performance too, will need more/bigger rides and more varied terrain to get it really dialled in. Feels great from the off though.

It's a stock GX build with Hunt XC Wide wheels as an upgrade and my preferred Chromag Cutlass bar, Ranger stem and Ergon grips. With XT trail pedals, my cheap scales are saying it's 12.35kg with cage and Exposure light mount, so not half bad! Still need to put my carbon cranks on, but those DUB ones are on tight! Need a longer allen key for sure! My LBS (UK based) had 2 more GX's in stock (M and L, both in Black Powder).
    Good looking rig. If they had an XL Iíd be calling ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quick status update for those waiting on their bike. I ordered my large X01, black build in mid July and had a November promise date. I ordered directly from Transition. Itís been pushed back until December. Fingers crossed it arrives before the New Year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I found my rattle and it was not the frame! Maybe you can guess what it was Ė but itís definitely unusual.

The rattle noise was only when pedaling but did not vary when cranking hard and it happened in all gears. Ruled out was: cassette, bottom bracket, seatpost, chainring & chain, pedals, wheels and brakes.

Bet you cant guess what it was!
    Derailleur

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm getting a xl gx spur delivered on Friday and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. I'm curious about a few things, are the g2 rs brakes worth keeping? For those who put on invisiframe is matte finish the way to go? Any recommendations for what carbon bar would be the best upgrade from the stock alloy one, are the one up carbon bars too compliant for this bike ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bayposter View Post
    I disagree with all those people saying a 52t bailout gear is useless. It all depends on the rider and terrain being ridden. Out here in NorCal, there are lots of climbs with 20%+ sections. After a long day in the saddle, a bailout gear is very much appreciated when you hit those. The dry, loose trails also make it next to impossible to stand on these sections. The only choice is to sit and spin.

For 12-speed clusters, I think Shimano actually does a better job, with a smoother transition to their biggest gears.

Sram: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42, 52
    Shimano: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 33, 39, 45, 51
    50t is already a bailout gear. 52 is just dumb

mtbr member
    Picked up my medium XO Spur build on Friday from Salt Cycles in SLC and immediately headed to Moab!

The first shakedown ride had me identifying everything I DIDNíT like about the bike- specifically the grips and shock/fork pressures. Once I swapped out for my Ergon grips and dropped the shock pressures considerably, the bike came alive! Climbed very well, especially power climbs out of the saddle, and descending was a dream. Tight switchbacks took a while to get used to because of the overall length coming from old geo but I think itís a nice trade off.

I will be looking into shorter cranks in the future. Quite a few pedal strikes with the 175s and I like to think I ride with good technique. Will try some 170s sometime soon.

XO was flawless, 35mm stanchion SID held its own in the chunk, and was getting really nice travel without bottoming out the entire weekend with soft pressures in the shocks.

Worth the wait! I was thinking the updated v4 Ripley was my next ride (currently have v2 OG Ripley with 140 Pike) but Iím glad I tried something different!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    My new and not yet ridden Spur. It arrived last week, and I'm just finishing up the build today. Swapped out the SRAM brakes for Hope, The DT Wheels for NOBL/Chris King, and a few other finishing bits. Looking forward to the maiden voyage!

Nice! That brown/bronze on blue/green is a great combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lactic View Post
    dropped the shock pressures considerably, the bike came alive! Climbed very well, especially power climbs out of the saddle, and descending was a dream.

35mm stanchion SID held its own in the chunk, and was getting really nice travel without bottoming out the entire weekend with soft pressures in the shocks.

Did you use the sag gradients on the fork and shock or just go by PSI? I settled on ~30% on shock and ~25% on fork. I tried alternative pressure, but these settings work the best for me. Itís not Uber plush, but more of a sporty/supportive/poppy ride.

mtbr member
    Picked up my medium XO Spur build on Friday from Salt Cycles in SLC and immediately headed to Moab!

Cheers!

Congrats! And...how did it do on those specific, namesake trails???

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mjoeko View Post
    I'm getting a xl gx spur delivered on Friday and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. I'm curious about a few things, are the g2 rs brakes worth keeping? For those who put on invisiframe is matte finish the way to go? Any recommendations for what carbon bar would be the best upgrade from the stock alloy one, are the one up carbon bars too compliant for this bike ?
    I have an XL GX Spur. The G2s arenít bad but I am going to go witha bigger rotor in the back, and maybe metallic pads when the originals need to be replaced. I think the brake choice comes down to your style and terrain, and your weight. The terrain I ride is not too steep but I find myself wanting more bite now and then. If there were more sustained, steep downhills in my diet I would probably go with something more powerful. FWIW I weigh about 220.

I am also considering those OneUp bars with the 35mm rise, would love to hear peopleís opinions too. I currently have a Specialized carbon bar with a 20 or 25 mm rise and just want it higher up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chafingdish View Post
    I have an XL GX Spur. The G2s arenít bad but I am going to go witha bigger rotor in the back, and maybe metallic pads when the originals need to be replaced. I think the brake choice comes down to your style and terrain, and your weight. The terrain I ride is not too steep but I find myself wanting more bite now and then. If there were more sustained, steep downhills in my diet I would probably go with something more powerful. FWIW I weigh about 220.

I am also considering those OneUp bars with the 35mm rise, would love to hear peopleís opinions too. I currently have a Specialized carbon bar with a 20 or 25 mm rise and just want it higher up.

I have G2 RSC on my Spur with a 180mm rotor front and back. Iím happy with the G2ís. Much easier to modulate than the on/off braking of my Shimano brakes.

As far as bar choice, I have a ton of spacers under my bar which is 20mm rise. I imagine it would be similar to a 35mm rise bar.

Transition Spur-41aeac77-693f-4340-b7db-909789ce02ca.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Congrats! And...how did it do on those specific, namesake trails???
    Quite a coincidence, right?

Those are the Bar M trails north of Moab and the Spur did unbelievably well once dialed in. Climbed the tech very well and blasted the short downhills.

I could have taken it on The Whole Enchilada but opted for a proven bike from the quiver with a 140mm Pike on the front. In hindsight, I wouldnít hesitate to run the whole thing on the Spur. Sure would make climbing Burro Pass a bit easier!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chafingdish View Post

I'm 200 lbs full kit, I currently run 200mm front and 180mm rear on my yeti sb4.5, with a zee 4 piston front brake and a slx rear. I ride very aggressively and am not sure if the g2 rs will work out. I guess I'll just start with upsizing rotors and see how the brakes work, thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Here's mine. Picked it up on October 3rd and already have 210 miles and 29,620 feet of climbing on it. This thing absolutely rips. I've ridden every trail in the park hundreds of times, and I'm now again getting new PR's both up and down on everything short of the chunkiest chunk.

I called every single Transition dealer in the Bay Area looking for a medium in any build, and I managed to find just one shop that had 2 mediums on order in an X01 build. Every other shop didn't have any showing up til December-March.

I swapped out for Reserve 27's running DHF/DHR and CushCore XC, X01 AXS drivetrain, Code RSC's on 200/180 rotors, and already had the Transfer post, Enve M6 bars/stem, and power saddle from another bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-img_5023.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMatt5000 View Post

Here's mine. Picked it up on October 3rd and already have 210 miles and 29,620 feet of climbing on it. This thing absolutely rips. I've ridden every trail in the park hundreds of times, and I'm now again getting new PR's both up and down on everything short of the chunkiest chunk.

I called every single Transition dealer in the Bay Area looking for a medium in any build, and I managed to find just one shop that had 2 mediums on order in an X01 build. Every other shop didn't have any showing up til December-March.

I swapped out for Reserve 27's running DHF/DHR and CushCore XC, X01 AXS drivetrain, Code RSC's on 200/180 rotors, and already had the Transfer post, Enve M6 bars/stem, and power saddle from another bike.
    Nice custom build! Whatís she coming in at on the scale?

Debating leaving the XO, upgrading to AXS, or switching over to XTR...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Thanks! Scale is showing 30.1 lbs right now as you see it, including the spare tube kit, and minus the bottles. 29.1 without the tube/co2's/strap.

There's some extra weight in there that I can't track down though, cause it should be 29.3 lbs if Transition's claimed weight (I forgot to weigh it in stock form) and the claimed weight of all the parts I added are accurate.

I made an Excel sheet with the differences in claimed weight between the stock parts and parts I swapped out - I theoretically added 4.1 extra pounds to the bike, but the scale is showing I'm at 4.9 lbs over stock (25.2lbs claimed). I've tried to track down that phantom 0.8 lbs, but it's possible my $10 Amazon luggage scale is inaccurate, or every part on the bike is just slightly heavier than claimed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

I'm riding a new Pivot Switchblade, not a Spur, but I did move from X01 to full XT w/ XTR derailleur when I bought it. I'd make that switch again all day long. Everything just works.

mtbr member
    Looking for a small frame if anyone knows of one. Thanks in advance!
    Debated on selling my epic for a complete but i like my spec so looking for a frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GXP BB Install Question?

Hi, lucked out and found someone selling a brand new, just unboxed XL Spur GX in the deep sea color. I am now swapping over a lot of better parts from my 2017 HT.

Question for you guys, I am swapping over my old XX1 GXP crankset, does anybody know how many spacers I need if any when installing the GXP bottom bracket on my Spur to keep the 51mm chainline? Is it one 2.5mm spacer on the driveside, that's what's on my HT.

Let me know, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Spur has a 73mm shell and from memory GXP bottom brackets require no spacers. I've used Hope though with GXP converter and for those you need one spacer on the driveside, but ifs a Sram one, no need for any

Still need to fit my carbon GXP cranks (Truvativ Descendants) but still can't get the DUB ones off! What's the point of having an easily changed direct mount chainring if you need arms like the hulk and the longest allen key in the world to remove the crank arm?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Still need to fit my carbon GXP cranks (Truvativ Descendants) but still can't get the DUB ones off! What's the point of having an easily changed direct mount chainring if you need arms like the hulk and the longest allen key in the world to remove the crank arm?!
    I had to use a breaker bar and then still felt like I was going to snap something. Finally let loose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Spur has a 73mm shell and from memory GXP bottom brackets require no spacers. I've used Hope though with GXP converter and for those you need one spacer on the driveside, but ifs a Sram one, no need for any

Thank you! Yeah, I just dealt with the same issue removing the stock stylo cranks and dub BB. F'ing A, had to use a handle bar, take the frame off and wedge the crank on the ground being careful not to scratch the frame. It finally break loose but shattered the plastic off my 8mm park tool wrench. This is a well known issue, an impact gun also works well I hear. I did think it was coming off, I had to step on the handle bar with my foot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybah View Post
    Thank you! Yeah, I just dealt with the same issue removing the stock stylo cranks and dub BB. F'ing A, had to use a handle bar, take the frame off and wedge the crank on the ground being careful not to scratch the frame. It finally break loose but shattered the plastic off my 8mm park tool wrench. This is a well known issue, an impact gun also works well I hear. I did think it was coming off, I had to step on the handle bar with my foot.
    Here's how I do it - orient the right crank facing forward (3 o'clock) and put the 8mm allen facing 9 or 10. Hold the rear brake, stand up on the pedal and allen, then jump down on it like you're pumping through a roller.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Carbon Issues?

Have any of you seen this? I am building up my Spur, found some rough, frayed carbon in the seat tube area after pulling out the oneup dropper it came with. I shined light down there and saw some carbon pieces down at the bottom of the seat tube, above and in front of the bottom bracket. I used a bolt grabber to pull out what I thought was one shard and pulled out a ton. Should I be concerned? Has anyone else noticed rough carbon in their seat tube?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-img_6328.jpg  

Transition Spur-img_6332.jpg  

Transition Spur-img_6335.jpg  

Transition Spur-img_6336.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow, didn't have that on mine.
    Probably not an issue, but when I contacted Transition on a non related question they replied promptly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Spur Weight

Mine weighs 26.7 lbs w/ Pike 130 fork, Maxxis Assegai/Dissector combo and 203/180 rotors.
    The frame only weighs 5.2 lbs so hard to imagine how your built-up Spur could weigh over 30lbs!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Photos?

Tried to upload photos to no avail, is there a trick to it??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Rattle found!

It was INSIDE my XX1 crank arm.
    Likely some resin or the like broke loose and, being hollow carbon, it acted like a drum and was driving me crazy!
    Drilled a small hole on the inside of the arm and injected some "3m Rubber and Gasket Adhesive" and noise gone!
    I then tapped the hole for a #6 screw and installed it with some 2-part epoxy so i wouldn't compromise the strength of the crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It was INSIDE my XX1 crank arm.
    Likely some resin or the like broke loose and, being hollow carbon, it acted like a drum and was driving me crazy!
    Drilled a small hole on the inside of the arm and injected some "3m Rubber and Gasket Adhesive" and noise gone!
    I then tapped the hole for a #6 screw and installed it with some 2-part epoxy so i wouldn't compromise the strength of the crank.
    So you tapped a hole, inserted screw and hope to maintain rigidity of your carbon crank. Hmm. Iíve seen carbon cranks catastrophically fail. Wishing you the best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Mine weighs 26.7 lbs w/ Pike 130 fork, Maxxis Assegai/Dissector combo and 203/180 rotors.
    The frame only weighs 5.2 lbs so hard to imagine how your built-up Spur could weigh over 30lbs!
    I'm baffled here as well. How are you weighing yours though? Many weigh theirs on bathroom scales, but if the bike is not perfectly balanced on it's own, you're holding up some of that weight, and the scale will show a lighter weight.

At the end of the day, I've never cared about my bike's weight, but if it's supposed to be a pound lighter, it'd be nice if it actually was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm baffled here as well. How are you weighing yours though? Many weigh theirs on bathroom scales, but if the bike is not perfectly balanced on it's own, you're holding up some of that weight, and the scale will show a lighter weight.

At the end of the day, I've never cared about my bike's weight, but if it's supposed to be a pound lighter, it'd be nice if it actually was.
    Did you check inside your seatube and bb area for loose carbon fill? Could be a half pound of extra carbon scraps in there, lol!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-img_6336.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    210mm oneup dropper vs 185mm bike yoke? Length vs quality, which would you choose?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Did you check inside your seatube and bb area for loose carbon fill? Could be a half pound of extra carbon scraps in there, lol!
    I seriously just thought of that after seeing your post! I can't imagine that it'd be a full pound of extra carbon though. How much did all that weigh?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I seriously just thought of that after seeing your post! I can't imagine that it'd be a full pound of extra carbon though. How much did all that weigh?
    Haha, haven't weighed it, don't have a drug scale but def not close to a half or even quarter pound, maybe a few grams?

I'm glad I got it out though, still going to email transition about it. Not worried with the lifetime warranty, looks like overfill but def a quality control issues in my book.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    210mm oneup dropper vs 185mm bike yoke? Length vs quality, which would you choose?
    My OneUp 180 dropper on my Spur barely lasted a month before the cartridge failed. I contacted OneUp and had a replacement in less than 6 days.

No it shouldnít have failed, but their excellent customer service is well appreciated. It is for this reason I bought a 210 OneUp and will keep the 180 for backup.

Overall the OneUp 210mm is pretty good. I like the action of the seat post, but prefer the lever from my SDG Tellis better.

Iím 5í10Ē on a large Spur and the 210mm if a perfect fit. Itís almost completely slammed....maybe 1mm of collar not inserted.

The easy maintenance and sealed cartridge on the OneUp is a plus.....Iíve had to rebuild 3 out of 4 Reverbs.......I like throwing a cartridge in and being done, no bleeding, no fancy tools.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Weigh out each part on an accurate scale. Do not go by whatís posted on a companies website.

I bought a Maxxis Dissector for my 27.5Ē bike. Website said 787 grams for 2.4Ē 3C Maxxterra. On my digital scale it weighed 841 grams. Thatís a huge difference that from what was claimed on the website. Add in back tire, extra weight from tubeless sealant, etc it adds up quick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

SID Fork Leaking

I know leaking from the SID shock is normal, but anyone else's SID Fork start leaking on the damper side after 250 miles/32 hours? Should I be worried?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-img_1381.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodytesla View Post
    I know leaking from the SID shock is normal, but anyone else's SID Fork start leaking on the damper side after 250 miles/32 hours? Should I be worried?

I would think that fork needs to be serviced. Thatís the damper side, maybe the bleed screw backed out. If it did chances are you now have air in the oil bladder. Looking at the fork crown itís been leaking for awhile. It will eventually run out of oil. No dampening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    My OneUp 180 dropper on my Spur barely lasted a month before the cartridge failed. I contacted OneUp and had a replacement in less than 6 days.

No it shouldnít have failed, but their excellent customer service is well appreciated. It is for this reason I bought a 210 OneUp and will keep the 180 for backup.

Overall the OneUp 210mm is pretty good. I like the action of the seat post, but prefer the lever from my SDG Tellis better.

Iím 5í10Ē on a large Spur and the 210mm if a perfect fit. Itís almost completely slammed....maybe 1mm of collar not inserted.

The easy maintenance and sealed cartridge on the OneUp is a plus.....Iíve had to rebuild 3 out of 4 Reverbs.......I like throwing a cartridge in and being done, no bleeding, no fancy tools.
    Ignore this.......my 210mm OneUp just stopped working properly. Same issue as before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have 210mm OneUp V2 Dropper installed on my Yeti SB130 LR and a 150mm OneUp V2 on Ibis DV9 hardtail. On each dropper I have right around 500 miles and so far zero issues with both.
    So far my only experience with the Bike Yoke was twice when I tried to help someone to fix it on trails.

Whatever
    I have 3 Bike Yokeís. Spur, Ripmo, fatbike. I ride fatbike 4-5 months a year (I live in mtns) and that one is 3 years old, zero issues, never touched it. Iíve broken 3 Reverbs and 2 Kind Shocks. My wifeís OneUp V1 is trashed. Get the new long travel Bike Yoke if you need more then 185.
    just ride

Whatever
    Has anyone tried a 140 fork on their Spur? I got a new RockShox Deluxe rear shock (Sid will be warranteed then sold. It goes from 160 psi to 100 in a 2 hr ride. 10 weeks old). Iím looking at a Pike Ultimate 140 and will reduce to 130 of itís too long. Curious to see who has done this...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    Has anyone tried a 140 fork on their Spur? I got a new RockShox Deluxe rear shock (Sid will be warranteed then sold. It goes from 160 psi to 100 in a 2 hr ride. 10 weeks old). Iím looking at a Pike Ultimate 140 and will reduce to 130 of itís too long. Curious to see who has done this...
    What didnít you like about 120mm?

Whatever
    I like to ride it a bit more plush but still be supportive mid stroke. Thereís no way to set the Sid up that way. Having a bit more travel, and a Pike, helps that.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Curious, why do you want to over fork the bike? Was there something specific the 120mm travel did not perform?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Sent from the singletrack...

Whatever
    I want it a bit slacker in addition to what I said above. The pinkbike review rider had a Fox34 130 and a Float rear shock. And said that Transition didnít recommend longer than 120 fork because it would overwhelm the puny Sid rear shock. Iím selling the rear shock. Iíll have a new RockShox Deluxe Ultimate rear shock. A bit more volume and tunable and hopefully wonít get trashed on long downhills.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I want it a bit slacker in addition to what I said above. The pinkbike review rider had a Fox34 130 and a Float rear shock. And said that Transition didnít recommend longer than 120 fork because it would overwhelm the puny Sid rear shock. Iím selling the rear shock. Iíll have a new RockShox Deluxe Ultimate rear shock. A bit more volume and tunable and hopefully wonít get trashed on long downhills.
    Gotcha. Itís funny, almost every single bike I have owned I bumped up the travel 10mm for the reasons you talked about. Iím not even curious or remotely interested in overforking this bike. I like the Sid and Sidluxe for everything I have rode this year. Itís certainly not as plush as my other bikes and thatís good! Itís plush initially, but is very supportive and gives the bike a sporty ride quality. I understand everyone likes their bikes to ride in a certain way, but this bike in stock form is exactly what I have been searching for in a trail bike for such a long time. My only plans going forward will be to shed some weight from my GX build.

Whatever
    👍 rear shock is a problem for me, but call me over-fork-curious.
    I sold the GX drivetrain on eBay and switched to XT/XTR. Wheels from lightbicycle.com too. Took 2.5 pounds off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    As others have said, no desire so far to over-fork my Spur. It would take out some of what makes it what it is. The Sid fork and shock weigh less than a Pike on it's own, then you add burly tyres and wheels and before you know it, you have a 28-30lb bike... why not get a Sentinel at that point? I get there is a big jump travel wise, but stick a travel spacer in the shock and change the air spring in the fork and you have a 140/150mm bike. If you went that route and frame only, you could even stick a 150mm pike or Fox 34 on the front...

I like the Spur is superlight for what it is, even my GX build with a slightly lighter wheelset is 12.3kg with XT Trails pedals, so it's within .5kg of the lighter, more expensive builds once pedals are taken into account (Transition's claimed weights are without tubes btw). I could put Forekasters on like I had on my old bike to bring it under 12kg but I'm liking how it is now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just built mine up with a Fox 34 Grip2 VVC with 130mm travel, that's as long as I would go, the bike is already really slack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-img_6365.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You guys act like upping the fork by 10 or 20mm is going to drastically change the character of the bike and spoil it's sporty ride or something. It'll change the angles and make it more capable. Whether or not that's a good thing is entirely subjective and largely dependent on where and how you ride. Not sure why the spur is somehow the rare exception that only performs well with one very specific fork a2c... marketing works I guess.

Generally I feel that most bikes perform well with a little more front travel than rear... hardtails being the extreme example. If you have no desire for more than 120 in the front, you probably don't need 120 in the rear to begin with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not so much the additional travel that's the issue, it's the fact you need a heavier fork to get it. If the Sid went up to 130mm, I'd be tempted to give a go, as like wise, I find I do like bikes with a little mismatched travel, I've ridden hardtails for 15 years too after all. But would I give up the lightweight fork (when it's perfectly stiff enough as is) to get an extra 10mm travel? Nope. I'll stick with the Sid and keep the weight and light feel of the bike. My previous bike had a 130mm Pike (my hardtail has a 120mm Revelation) and the difference in the weight over the front is likely way more noticeable than extra 10mm, which is going to be more like 7-8mm once sag is factored in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Not so much the additional travel that's the issue, it's the fact you need a heavier fork to get it.
    This^

Going with anything other than Sid or SC 34 is going to add additional weight.

Sid Ultimate ~1537 grams
    Sid Select + ~1703 grams
    Fox 34 SC ~1623 grams

Pike Ultimate ~1850grams

Depending on which fork you currently have, weight gain to get 10mm of travel can be a huge penalty for marginal gains in BB height or HA. I would look at set up of the fork before ditching the SID. ~150 grams to ~300 grams is a big weight penalty.

Then again, do what you want. Put 35mm aluminum rims with Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT 3CT/TR/DD casing tires at 1335grams and Code brakes on it....

I have never been a real weight weenie, and donít think I am now, however, after pedaling around trail bikes that consistently pushed over 30 pounds the Spur is a refreshing change. Itís counterproductive to add weight to this bike. My stock GX Spur is ~3 pounds lighter than my GG Shred Dogg. When I switch back and forth between the two that 3 pounds is like dragging around an anchor. I canít imagine how much more alive the bike would become if I dropped another 2 pounds with an XX1 build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This^

Going with anything other than Sid or SC 34 is going to add additional weight.

Sid Ultimate ~1537 grams
    Sid Select + ~1703 grams
    Fox 34 SC ~1623 grams

Pike Ultimate ~1850grams

Depending on which fork you currently have, weight gain to get 10mm of travel can be a huge penalty for marginal gains in BB height or HA. I would look at set up of the fork before ditching the SID. ~150 grams to ~300 grams is a big weight penalty.

Then again, do what you want. Put 35mm aluminum rims with Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT 3CT/TR/DD casing tires at 1335grams and Code brakes on it....

I have never been a real weight weenie, and donít think I am now, however, after pedaling around trail bikes that consistently pushed over 30 pounds the Spur is a refreshing change. Itís counterproductive to add weight to this bike. My stock GX Spur is ~3 pounds lighter than my GG Shred Dogg. When I switch back and forth between the two that 3 pounds is like dragging around an anchor. I canít imagine how much more alive the bike would become if I dropped another 2 pounds with an XX1 build.
    +3lbs is like dragging a boat anchor? That's a bit of an exaggeration and there's at least a few variables there besides the weight. Yeah... you're being a weight weenie. I get it, I really do, light bikes are great. But, acting like building one of these with a 130/140 pike is going to inevitably lead to dual-ply assegais and a 33lb total weight is a slippery slope fallacy and just ridiculous. There's a middle-ground. These seem like really versatile awesome frames. A spur with a sid and an xc build at ~23-25lbs would be awesome. So would a 120/140 spur with a pike and a more trail/all-mtn oriented build at ~25-28lbs. It really depends where your priorities are at and what you want from the bike. To say that using anything more substantial than a sid at exactly 120mm of travel is this slippery slope into having a heavy dog of a bike is just narrow-minded and hyperbolic.

I do agree that if you already have the Sid and your only reason for swapping forks is to go +10mm that might be a little silly. But let's also not pretend that the travel range and weight are the only differences between a sid and a pike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    +3lbs is like dragging a boat anchor? That's a bit of an exaggeration and there's at least a few variables there besides the weight. Yeah... you're being a weight weenie. I get it, I really do, light bikes are great. But, acting like building one of these with a 130/140 pike is going to inevitably lead to dual-ply assegais and a 33lb total weight is a slippery slope fallacy and just ridiculous. There's a middle-ground. These seem like really versatile awesome frames. A spur with a sid and an xc build at ~23-25lbs would be awesome. So would a 120/140 spur with a pike and a more trail/all-mtn oriented build at ~25-28lbs. It really depends where you're priorities are at and what you want from the bike. To say that using anything more substantial than a sid at exactly 120mm of travel is this slippery slope into having a heavy dog of a bike is just narrow-minded and hyperbolic.

I do agree that if you already have the Sid and your only reason for swapping forks is to go +10mm that' might be a little silly. But let's also not pretend that the travel range and weight are the only differences between a sid and a pike.
    I actually set up my Shred Dogg with the exact tire same tire combo as the Spur. Aggressor front, Rekon rear. Took everything off the Shred Dogg to get the weight down....spare tube, CO2 kit etc. I then tried to firm up the suspension to make it ride as similar to the Spur as possible.

Yes one is 29er and one is 27.5. Yes the suspension kinematics will be different. The boat anchor analogy may have been an exaggeration, but 3 pounds on the exact same trails I ride can be felt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I actually set up my Shred Dogg with the exact tire same tire combo as the Spur. Aggressor front, Rekon rear. Took everything off the Shred Dogg to get the weight down....spare tube, CO2 kit etc. I then tried to firm up the suspension to make it ride as similar to the Spur as possible.

Yes one is 29er and one is 27.5. Yes the suspension kinematics will be different. The boat anchor analogy may have been an exaggeration, but 3 pounds on the exact same trails I ride can be felt.
    Well, I guess the result of your experiment is that yes weight can be felt, and that those are totally different bikes that ride differently. Seeing as how you have both of those bikes it makes a lot of sense that you'd want to keep the spur on the more xc end of the spectrum to minimize overlap. Let's say that you didn't. Hypothetically, you want 1 well rounded bike... let's call it a "trail" bike... or even a "mountain" bike. I'd argue that for the right person, the spur could be that. Let's also assume that hypothetically, you wanted a damper that performs slightly better than the most minimalist lightweight damper available. So, then you're looking at the Sid select or the pike. Same damper, different chassis. If you choose the pike, you add ~150grams to get a stiffer chassis that also doesn't limit you to 120mm of travel. That's 1/3 of a pound. Pretty reasonable. Thoughtfully spec out the rest of the build and you can still end up with something that's extremely capable and lightweight by most anyone's standard for a well-rounded trail bike. I'm not questioning why anyone would want to keep a spur as a more xc ultralight build. But if you're dismissing the idea of someone building it up slightly heavier, that's just silly. A pound or two can make a difference, but so can a more capable build, and honestly as much as I love a light bike it's not what some people make it out to be, and weight should hardly be the only consideration and if you make decisions like sid vs pike based solely on the weight factor alone, that's pretty much the definition of being a weight weenie. And to imply that if you add 1/3 to 2/3 of a pound to end up with a 120/140 spur with a better damper, that you might as well build a 33lb sentinel, is an absurd slippery slope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    Well, I guess the result of your experiment is that yes weight can be felt, and that those are totally different bikes that ride differently. Seeing as how you have both of those bikes it makes a lot of sense that you'd want to keep the spur on the more xc end of the spectrum to minimize overlap. Let's say that you didn't. Hypothetically, you want 1 well rounded bike... let's call it a "trail" bike... or even a "mountain" bike. I'd argue that for the right person, the spur could be that. Let's also assume that hypothetically, you wanted a damper that performs slightly better than the most minimalist lightweight damper available. So, then you're looking at the Sid select or the pike. Same damper, different chassis. If you choose the pike, you add ~150grams to get a stiffer chassis that also doesn't limit you to 120mm of travel. That's 1/3 of a pound. Pretty reasonable. Thoughtfully spec out the rest of the build and you can still end up with something that's extremely capable and lightweight by most anyone's standard for a well-rounded trail bike. I'm not questioning why anyone would want to keep a spur as a more xc ultralight build. But if you're dismissing the idea of someone building it up slightly heavier, that's just silly. A pound or two can make a difference, but so can a more capable build, and honestly as much as I love a light bike it's not what some people make it out to be, and weight should hardly be the only consideration and if you make decisions like sid vs pike based solely on the weight factor alone, that's pretty much the definition of being a weight weenie. And to imply that if you add 1/3 to 2/3 of a pound to end up with a 120/140 spur with a better damper, that you might as well build a 33lb sentinel, is an absurd slippery slope.
    I concede....

Do whatever makes you happy with your bike!

Whatever
    Exactly. I have 15+ min downhills and at the end the Sid fork makes all sorts of noises. And I have a few 45+ min downhills - did three of that ride (Minerís Creek DH) in a 2 week period this year and the fork felt like crap and still does. Iím ok adding 147 grams. Thatíll take my Spur to 25 1/4 pounds. Maybe 25 1/2 with the Deluxe Ultimate shock. My Ripmo has become more DH oriented and I ride the Spur 19/20 rides now. So I want the Spur to have a bit more capability. Itís a tradeoff Iím willing to accept.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Exactly. I have 15+ min downhills and at the end the Sid fork makes all sorts of noises. And I have a few 45+ min downhills - did three of that ride (Minerís Creek DH) in a 2 week period this year and the fork felt like crap and still does. Iím ok adding 147 grams. Thatíll take my Spur to 25 1/4 pounds. Maybe 25 1/2 with the Deluxe Ultimate shock. My Ripmo has become more DH oriented and I ride the Spur 19/20 rides now. So I want the Spur to have a bit more capability. Itís a tradeoff Iím willing to accept.
    And just to keep things in perspective. 25.5lbs is still very lightweight for a bike with that much capability. In 2005, I bought an XL s-works epic disc for the xc race season... full xtr, crossmax sl... it weighed 25lbs with paper thin 26x2.0 tires and a rigid post. I think that was the last time I've even weighed any of my bikes, although I still try to build them light within reason. 25lbs, or more, for modern bikes like these is not holding anyone back in the slightest unless you're racing xc at a very high level.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A quick update on lead times... I placed my order for a large XO1 with my LBS in August, and they are now saying an ETA of March.

I don't NEED the bike right now, and there isn't another bike I would want instead of the Spur (I think), so I don't really mind waiting. But man that's a long time to wait!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    V2 Ripmo? If so, love to hear your comparison of owning both bikes...Spur vs Ripmo. I have a Ripmo on order, but tried to order a Spur, but the wait times were out of sight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm so curious as to whats going on. Are they at a standstill? Moving zero product? Or did they get 20,000 orders with 5 frames coming in from the factory a month, making each consecutive order bump 3 months? Do they have frames but no components? Are a lot of people getting bikes or is nobody getting bikes? Why does each customer have to "check the status" when they basically tell everyone the same thing? so many questions!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bneall View Post
    I'm so curious as to whats going on. Are they at a standstill? Moving zero product?
    I'd really like to know too. Placed an order with a local dealer over two months ago, but they still haven't received any info back from Transition I don't mind the wait too much, but some sort of a confirmation would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just built mine up with a Fox 34 Grip2 VVC with 130mm travel, that's as long as I would go, the bike is already really slack.

Interesting people going to a fox 34 with 10mm more travel. I'm curious if I'll miss the travel I have already on my Rocky mountain. I have my thunderbolt overworked at 140mm. With this bike I'm going down 20mm. Clint Gibbs had a interesting remark about the Sid in the front vs the Fox 34 130 on his jet 9. This is just his opinion but stated that he could never tell the travel difference, or even the stiffness difference. One person here said that they prefer a softer fork, so the extra travel (only 10mm) gave them a little more for running more sag. Initially I was going to get a bigger bike, and some even feel the rear travel feels like more than 120mm, so I'm also in the camp of trying this bike out stock. Some may be pushing the bike into territory that a 130 rear 140 bike may be more suited for, but my guess is that the flex stays, 29 inch wheels, and the 1700 aluminum rims give it that extra 10mm feel that some may be missing from the suspension. Don't forget, tire choice, TIRE PRESSURE and suspension setup is critical in how the bike feels. My current bike has a very narrow sweet spot. Soon as I'm out, I either have a harsher feeling ride, or it feels sluggish and very un-lively. At any rate, if I hate the Sid setup, I can always sell and go pike, deluxe, or fox 34 grip 2, and Float DPS. You could make up some of the weight by upper killer xc/trail carbon wheel set a la DT swiss1200. Thoughts. Until I get mine this is all speculation and internet talk for me. I really like all the discussion. No bull. Thanks for a nice chill and relaxed bike nerd forum experience.

B

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
    Some may be pushing the bike into territory that a 130 rear 140 bike may be more suited for, but my guess is that the flex stays, 29 inch wheels, and the 1700 aluminum rims give it that extra 10mm feel that some may be missing from the suspension. Don't forget, tire choice, TIRE PRESSURE and suspension setup is critical in how the bike feels. My current bike has a very narrow sweet spot. Soon as I'm out, I either have a harsher feeling ride, or it feels sluggish and very un-lively.

B
    This guy gets it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quick update before the gravel bike and fatbike come out. Well, been doing some pretty rugged Class4 rides on the Fargo the last 2 weeks since our trails are a blanket of leaves (for now)

- Upgraded to some Carbon GX 170mm cranks (great "inexpensive" upgrade).
    - Copper XX1 Chain (just because)

This winter I will build up some i9 Hydras laced to Arch MK2s and pretty much call her done. Oh, and maintenance the Sids (I love them)

Had this bike since July 14, and it has never ever let me down. So capable and so much fun. 120/120 is perfect for 100% of my riding as a nimble, aggressive, and sporty trail bike.

gah:

Transition Spur-img_1707.jpg
    Transition Spur-img_1708.jpg
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I totally agree with your statement. I ride where it would be considered technical xc/trail riding with lots of roots and rocks. I need the bike to be capable but lively. Pedal well but has to be a bit more planted at times than my 2015 thunderbolt. I don't have extensive downhill sections, or super long climbs but the ones that I do have can be steep and fast, and full of tech. The new geo will help with that. The ups are the same. 15 min climbs that are steep and technical at times. If I were you I would change out the suspension. It's still a super lightweight bike with a shit ton of capability, and skewed towards better sustained downhill performance. Think of it the other way. You can put a 100mm shock on it and make it a 21-23 pound race machine if you really wanted to. Most people won't, but you can if you want. I like a bike that has that much latitude. That's why the Specialized epic Evo did not cross my mind. It has a great review, and people love it, but if I want to go one way or another, the Spur starts right in the middle.. ALL Country.. ya. Unit I get the bike, which seems to be in March, my opinion is just that. An educated guess at best.

B

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm so curious as to whats going on. Are they at a standstill? Moving zero product? Or did they get 20,000 orders with 5 frames coming in from the factory a month, making each consecutive order bump 3 months? Do they have frames but no components? Are a lot of people getting bikes or is nobody getting bikes? Why does each customer have to "check the status" when they basically tell everyone the same thing? so many questions!
    At this point it's beyond ridiculous. I ordered mine in the beginning of July, was promised October delivery, now they're saying December. 6 freaking months, it's like I ordered a one of a kind Lambo or something...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
    At this point it's beyond ridiculous. I ordered mine in the beginning of July, was promised October delivery, now they're saying December. 6 freaking months, it's like I ordered a one of a kind Lambo or something...
    Yeah, it definitely sucks, but the Covid19 thing seems to have affected supply chains in many different industries. Not sure what there is we can do about it, and I'm certainly not going to fault Transition for it.

I've seen shortages and delays in the automotive and motorcycle industries as well. I'm sure there are others but that's primarily what I spend my money on...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Delivery dates are based on when your order (or the shop's order) was placed, where you are located in the world, and what spec level you are ordering. We have constant production happening, demand has just far exceeded our supply. The Spur is a popular new model that has sold even better than we anticipated on top of an overall COVID boom in bike sales. Check in with the shop for any updates on the ETA for your order, or contact us if you placed the order with us directly. We can't offer any ETA information for orders placed through resellers, you would need to work with them for that info.

TR has tried to address the shipping time issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There is a medium green GX build on the floor at my LBS. Maybe they will ship?

gearx.com
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Shock Lube Leakage?

Is this normal? I know they leak a little but this seems excessive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-img_6442.jpg  

that guy
    Jun 2011
    With these particular shocks, and based on all of the posts I've seen here about it, that does seem to be the norm for the first month or so.

Mine eventually stopped leaking and still works great, so I don't think it went dry or anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Transition Spur-b5ab618c-e975-49ed-b173-bf8e7410873c.jpg
    Normal

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Found this on Instagram. They address long lead times and the Spur.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG8nQRvjacd/

No. Just No.
    Found this on Instagram. They address long lead times and the Spur.

Thanks - did you happen to note a specific time index at which that portion of the discussion takes place. Just me being lazy and trying to avoid the entire hour.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Thanks - did you happen to note a specific time index at which that portion of the discussion takes place. Just me being lazy and trying to avoid the entire hour.
    Around 8 minutes in they address industry, but around 11-12 minutes in they address more, and it continues for awhile addressing why they are out of stock and most bikes coming in are going to dealers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    With these particular shocks, and based on all of the posts I've seen here about it, that does seem to be the norm for the first month or so.

Mine eventually stopped leaking and still works great, so I don't think it went dry or anything.
    When mine stopped leaking I opened up the shock and refilled per the service manual. Iíve done this twice so far. 1ml in bottom, 1ml on top. I will be buying the 200hr service kit but adding oil is kind of 50hr service.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I have this wacky theory that if you're choosing your tires correctly, that is, the lowest RR while still just having enough traction for what/ how you ride, then the travel segment you should purchase is determined by that.
    Riders that have found themselves on XC/ light trail tires on their Enduro bike should go to a lighter duty overall rig where-as those desiring/ needing Assagais on their DC bike should likely move up in travel.
    I carefully considered the Spur, I even got a short test run on one and that same day I shredded a 1200 gram front tire. Regardless of bike, to ride how I want with my (lack of) riding technique, I need a DH rear rim, aggressive tires with inserts, metal cranks, etc. because otherwise I walk out a lot. If I place those same components on a Spur, I'd just end up with a less capable Enduro bike.
    Consideration should be given to this, lest you become dissatisfied.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I have this wacky theory that if you're choosing your tires correctly, that is, the lowest RR while still just having enough traction and rolling resistance for what/ how you ride, then the travel segment you should purchase is determined by that.
    Riders that have found themselves on XC/ light trail tires on their Enduro bike should go to a lighter duty overall rig where-as those desiring/ needing Assagais on their DC bike should likely move up in travel.
    I carefully considered the Spur, I even got a short test run on one and that same day I shredded a 1200 gram front tire. Regardless of bike, to ride how I want with my (lack of) riding technique, I need a DH rear rim, aggressive tires with inserts, metal cranks, etc. because otherwise I walk out a lot. If I place those same components on a Spur, I'd just end up with a less capable Enduro bike.
    I agree with this. I bought the Shred Dogg because it was a mid/shorter travel trail bike. I embraced the marketing from GG which said, " The Shred Dogg provides an exceptionally lively platform for those that value playfulness more than smashing the super-gnar." It lived up to statement....it is and remains very lively and still is super fun.

That being said the Spur is on another level. Much more playful, much more fun.....slightly less capable....but not by much.

What I found on the exact same trails the Spur carried speed so much easier. 29er wheels...probably...different suspension...probably....faster tires....definitely.

My Shred Dogg is 27.5 150mm/130mm in trail mode. Not exactly an enduro rig. I bought it to use a trail bike. What I found is that Minions and Aggressors are overkill on most of my trails. Swapping the tires dropped weight and sped the bike up.

I'll keep two sets of tires for each bike.

Spring/fall tires for the mud and wet trails. More aggressive tread.

Summer tires for low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I agree with this. I bought the Shred Dogg because it was a mid/shorter travel trail bike. I embraced the marketing from GG which said, " The Shred Dogg provides an exceptionally lively platform for those that value playfulness more than smashing the super-gnar." It lived up to statement....it is and remains very lively and still is super fun.

That being said the Spur is on another level. Much more playful, much more fun.....slightly less capable....but not by much.

What I found on the exact same trails the Spur carried speed so much easier. 29er wheels...probably...different suspension...probably....faster tires....definitely.

My Shred Dogg is 27.5 150mm/130mm in trail mode. Not exactly an enduro rig. I bought it to use a trail bike. What I found is that Minions and Aggressors are overkill on most of my trails. Swapping the tires dropped weight and sped the bike up.

I'll keep two sets of tires for each bike.

Spring/fall tires for the mud and wet trails. More aggressive tread.

Summer tires for low rolling resistance.
    You get it.

If I build a Spur at some point I will indulge my inner weight weenism completely. It'll be fast and light, EXCEPT in that case the brakes/ wheels/ tires/ suspension will simply not be up for how I ride 90% of the time. If I upgrade these components, well then it's not much faster than my enduro bike.

The Spur I briefly rode felt so fast, but with the Dissector/ Rekon combo it had mounted it essentially felt just like my 150 travel bike did when I tried that exact tire combo, and it wasn't enough tire for me, at all.

Hoping to build a 23# Spur some day for flow trail riding days and Bentonville trips where it seems about perfect. They are rad bikes.

Whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    V2 Ripmo? If so, love to hear your comparison of owning both bikes...Spur vs Ripmo. I have a Ripmo on order, but tried to order a Spur, but the wait times were out of sight.
    V1 Ripmo. 2019 X2, and 2019 Fox36 Grip2. I live in Summit County, CO where we donít have tons of gnar chunk. So I ride my Spur 95% of the time. I sold my V10 and have made my Ripmo my DH bike. Unfortunately Keystone never opened this year 🥺

Spur is so much fun. Iím definitely going 130 fork at some point, prob a Pike. Toying with selling the Ripmo, but the Spur wouldnít last at Keystone.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    TR has tried to address the shipping time issues?
    It is a simplistic explanation, and doesn't explain why pre-order customers are getting 1-2 months push every time they call for status update.

I guess if the supply chain isn't getting severely restricted exponentially every month (without notice), the only other explanation is they are promising unrealistic shipping times to customers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It is a simplistic explanation, and doesn't explain why pre-order customers are getting 1-2 months push every time they call for status update.

I guess if the supply chain isn't getting severely restricted exponentially every month (without notice), the only other explanation is they are promising unrealistic shipping times to customers.
    If your looking for a more complex explanation watch this.

Fast forward to about 7 minutes. It explains a lot.

mtbr member
    Quite a coincidence, right?

Those are the Bar M trails north of Moab and the Spur did unbelievably well once dialed in. Climbed the tech very well and blasted the short downhills.

I could have taken it on The Whole Enchilada but opted for a proven bike from the quiver with a 140mm Pike on the front. In hindsight, I wouldnít hesitate to run the whole thing on the Spur. Sure would make climbing Burro Pass a bit easier!

I'm waiting to hear a report from WE or at least UPS/LPS and Porcupine.

Or Capt Ahab, though I've never ridden that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ordered an X01 medium Spur in Seafoam Green in mid August from LBS. The stock date they are seeing has held at Dec/Jan. Hoping it's true and doesn't get pushed!!

mtbr member

Transition Spur

No report from Moabís WE or Porc but I will say, once I maxed out the suspension travel, this bike has eaten up my first 5 rides at the Bar M trails, Slickrock, Lunch Loops, and Maryís/Horsethief in Fruita!

My biggest issue at this point is pedal strikes. Need to sort that out... shorter cranks possibly?

Clip from Gunny Loop/Lunch Loops/Grand Junction. I havenít ridden this trail in a couple years so I was a bit tentative for trail changes but still had a blast!

https://youtu.be/QN80Nfuj5-E

Thanks to Chris at Salt Cycles in Sandy, Utah, for getting me a medium XO1 build and getting me on the trails before the snow starts really flying!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    will it not void warranty if this bike is fitted with a longer travel fork? i thought transition were pretty clear on 120mm being the max for this. those leaky sid shocks are freaky...im surprised people are considering them normal. i would bin them and get something that doesnt leak like a fox or something else. those spurs in blue look very nice though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rabid monkfish View Post
    will it not void warranty if this bike is fitted with a longer travel fork? i thought transition were pretty clear on 120mm being the max for this. those leaky sid shocks are freaky...im surprised people are considering them normal. i would bin them and get something that doesnt leak like a fox or something else. those spurs in blue look very nice though.
    I believe a couple different people have emailed Transition directly and the response has been than over forking will not void the warranty.

I also agree that the leaky shocks are worrisome, as are the forks that have developed bushing play. I'm hoping RockShox will have sorted these issues out by the time I take delivery of my bike (maybe an upside to waiting longer?). Of course maybe the leaky shocks truly are normal like people are saying
    2020 Commencal Meta TR SX
    2016 Soma Wolverine V2.0
    2013 Specialized P.26 Pro

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Donít own this bike and not in the market. But, have to say, from an aesthetic perspective, this is easily the most attractive bike on the market. Beautiful lines from front to back.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Donít own this bike and not in the market. But, have to say, from an aesthetic perspective, this is easily the most attractive bike on the market. Beautiful lines from front to back.
    It really is a great looking bike. Never been a huge fan of Transition but they really nailed it with the Spur.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Med Spur for sale

There is a med Spur for sale on Pinkbike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There's also a Large in San Diego, but the buyer is asking $5800 for a GX build w/ some frame protection and pedals. Crazy... I wonder if they will get full asking price.

I guess if you factor in sales tax it's not too far off from a new price, but still.
    2016 Soma Wolverine V2.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghebinkim View Post
    There's also a Large in San Diego, but the buyer is asking $5800 for a GX build w/ some frame protection and pedals. Crazy... I wonder if they will get full asking price.

I guess if you factor in sales tax it's not too far off from a new price, but still.
    Saw that on PB along with the other overpriced Spur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is a med Spur for sale on Pinkbike!
    Isn't it about 25% over msrp?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Isn't it about 25% over msrp?
    The bike is good, but not that good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I also agree that the leaky shocks are worrisome, as are the forks that have developed bushing play. I'm hoping RockShox will have sorted these issues out by the time I take delivery of my bike (maybe an upside to waiting longer?). Of course maybe the leaky shocks truly are normal like people are saying
    I just bought and installed the Sidluxe 50hr rebuild kit which came with new wiper seals,quad seal and backup seal. One ride so far and there is oil on the shaft again. I will report back after some more rides but judging by the oil present after one ride it appears to be normal.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Interesting limited edition parts that might look awesome on a custom Spur build:
    https://canecreek.com/product/helm-m...all-batch-ipa/
    Transition Spur-ipa-family-white-web.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I just bought and installed the Sidluxe 50hr rebuild kit which came with new wiper seals,quad seal and backup seal. One ride so far and there is oil on the shaft again. I will report back after some more rides but judging by the oil present after one ride it appears to be normal.
    Where id you buy this kit? Did you notice if they had any air volume spacers available?

Thank you,

EV

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTV View Post
    Where id you buy this kit? Did you notice if they had any air volume spacers available?

Thank you,

EV
    Hereís where I got my rebuild, not sure about spacers.

https://northwestbicycle.com/product...-000-942552-01

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hereís where I got my rebuild, not sure about spacers.

https://northwestbicycle.com/product...-000-942552-01
    Thank you BluePitch

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just got back from my ride. I made sure to wipe the oil off before I went out and this is what it looks like after ~1.5 hrs. It weeps oil with fresh seals from the rebuild. While Iíve had previous Rockshox product do this, the Sidluxe weeps the most out of any of those. I will definitely monitor and add oil when I donít see oil weeping out......shouldnít have to, but i am getting along really good with the Sidluxe. This is one of the few bikes I have owned that I donít feel the need to upgrade/change/improve the suspension. Since I have owned it....set sag at 30% and it has been great.

Transition Spur-0ece1b63-e1b2-4441-84d0-825394e8c6b6.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabid monkfish View Post
    Bike really needs a Zeb 190mm travel and an angle head set.... why go half way?
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Some pictures of mine from the last few months. Hopefully this works. Loving this bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm sure most have seen this, but if not.... one of my favorite reviewers, and his take on the Spur is truly real-world objective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQxeOeIb5E

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Another data point on order times:

I ordered a large gray Spur X01 in mid July. The initial guess was Oct/Nov and is now Jan/Feb. The shop tells me that they're close to to the top of the order list, so if someone cancelled it could be as soon as the end of this month. Fingers crossed.

It's rainy here anyways, so it could be worse...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by conorthinks View Post
    Another data point on order times:

I ordered a large gray Spur X01 in mid July. The initial guess was Oct/Nov and is now Jan/Feb. The shop tells me that they're close to to the top of the order list, so if someone cancelled it could be as soon as the end of this month. Fingers crossed.

It's rainy here anyways, so it could be worse...
    Thanks for the info, I don't check in anymore, from my experience and others here, it seems to always be a pushed a month when people inquire. I guess their projections are not working out (on a monthly basis).

I wonder if they going to design 2021 bikes? Seems like it would be bizarre to have a new line of bikes when you cant even get the previous years bikes shipped. I wonder what bike makers in general will do. Probably just change some color options I imagine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Since I'm still waiting on my Spur frame I've had extra time to contemplate and re-contemplate all of my part selections. I'm to the point where the only thing I'm still on the fence about is the wheelset. My original plan was to swap my Zipp 3zero Moto wheels from my Evil Offering. I have really enjoyed those wheels for the last year and a half and haven't gotten a single flat. I realize they are probably a bit overkill for the Spur so I've been thinking about getting a lighter/stiffer wheelset. The Zipp wheels are over 2000g and I've been thinking about getting something in the 1500-1600g range.

Has anyone run different wheels on their Spur? Anyone have regrets running a heavier/burlier wheelset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    Has anyone run different wheels on their Spur? Anyone have regrets running a heavier/burlier wheelset?

@Suns_PSD made a great point about the Spur.

Regardless of bike, to ride how I want with my (lack of) riding technique, I need a DH rear rim, aggressive tires with inserts, metal cranks, etc. because otherwise I walk out a lot. If I place those same components on a Spur, I'd just end up with a less capable Enduro bike.

I bought the GX build that came with the Stans Arch S1 wheel set. They are 26mm ID and weighed 1942 grams.

I just bought the Industry Nine Trail S 1/1 wheel set which is 27mm ID and
    1770 grams. So slightly less weight and slightly wider. I also threw on some XR4 tires that were a little less weight than the Dissector/Dissector combo I was running. The small weight drop and rolling resistance drop can be felt. Earth shattering no, but its there.

I think going the other direction, heavier burlier may be counterproductive.

Anyway, someone will inevitably throw a 140mm fork with 35mm Id aluminum rims with 2.5WT Assegai tires on it.........

mtbr member

Anyway, someone will inevitably throw a 140mm fork with 35mm Id aluminum rims with 2.5WT Assegai tires on it.........
    I agree. Even if there is negligible difference in the travel or geometry I think that's exactly why there's still room in the line-up for a Smuggler-type-bike between the Spur and Sentinel. I've been lusting after the Spur for a while now and it would be a great bike for about 80% of my riding, but I know you're right about it being counter-productive putting heavy parts on it and I know I'd miss that extra capability on trips out of town and when I really want to push it on our local stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I agree. Even if there is negligible difference in the travel or geometry I think that's exactly why there's still room in the line-up for a Smuggler-type-bike between the Spur and Sentinel. I've been lusting after the Spur for a while now and it would be a great bike for about 80% of my riding, but I know you're right about it being counter-productive putting heavy parts on it and I know I'd miss that extra capability on trips out of town and when I really want to push it on our local stuff.
    There is definitely room for a bike between the Spur and Sentinel. 140/140 travel that has the same pedal efficiency as the Spur. More sporty than Sentinel, a little more forgiving than Spur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Transition Spur-thumbnail_img_0700.jpg

I've owned my Spur since August 4th. In the short time I've owned it I've done more riding than just about any year I can think of. Credit part of that to Covid and stay/work at home......but no other bike I have owned has ever encouraged me to go out and get some pedal strokes in. It's a very unique combination an incredibly efficient bike, that doesn't give up much when you point it downhill.

I've had a few issues with the fork(warranty replaced Sid lowers), and two broken dropper cartridges, and the leaky Sidluxe which isn't really an issue.

The only issue I've actually had with the bike is with my cable routing/securing.

Transition Spur-thumbnail_img_0670.jpg

The bike itself though....... very quite, very little maintenance(pivots/bearings) have remained trouble free and quite. Paint has been better than my SBG Scout.....

Just loving this bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The only issue I've actually had with the bike is with my cable routing/securing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0670.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	1377159

!
    What has your LBS said about warranty of that issue? Turnaround, quick fix, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What has your LBS said about warranty of that issue? Turnaround, quick fix, etc.
    I never took it to LBS or contacted TR. It's a non issue for me. I put some Velcro on the frame and cable and have been riding it with no issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Non issue really?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lawnman View Post
    Non issue really?
    Correct. If it got in the way or stopped me from riding I may take issue with it. I may reach out to TR eventually, but for now I will ride until it snows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I get it. You don't want to be without a bike. But your resale is shot! Reach out to Transition/LBS. Submit the warranty claim and keep riding. If they offer you a new triangle then swap it out when it starts snowing. Get your name in the que or there may not be stock.

mtbr member
    There is definitely room for a bike between the Spur and Sentinel. 140/140 travel that has the same pedal efficiency as the Spur. More sporty than Sentinel, a little more forgiving than Spur
    If they give a new Smuggler the Scout/Sentinel treatment, it'll be 130 or 135 rear and 140 front. It'll be more efficient than the previous Smuggler, but it won't be as efficient as the Spur, of course.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I get it. You don't want to be without a bike. But your resale is shot! Reach out to Transition/LBS. Submit the warranty claim and keep riding. If they offer you a new triangle then swap it out when it starts snowing. Get your name in the que or there may not be stock.
    I would not expect TR to send me a new rear triangle for a broken cable mount. I would think that they would offer some solution to mount it differently.

Now if more mounts break off then it will be concerning.

Resale is not shot.

I will reach out to them so they are aware. Maybe they can see it an make V2 Spur better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A very well used large X01 was sold within the hour of posting on PB last night. Had the fork recall taken care of, Traverse SL carbon wheels. $5900!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2930306/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would not expect TR to send me a new rear triangle for a broken cable mount. I would think that they would offer some solution to mount it differently.

Now if more mounts break off then it will be concerning.

Resale is not shot.

I will reach out to them so they are aware. Maybe they can see it an make V2 Spur better.
    You are a much more understanding and/or forgiving person than I am... I would 100% expect a replacement triangle for that kind of failure (assuming it wasn't something stupid I did, like take a chisel and hammer to the cable housing mount). Of course I wouldn't expect it to be overnighted to me given that it doesn't affect function.
    2016 Soma Wolverine V2.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A very well used large X01 was sold within the hour of posting on PB last night. Had the fork recall taken care of, Traverse SL carbon wheels. $5900!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2930306/
    What makes you say that was "very well used?" I see a couple of paint chips/nicks but nothing too major. Seems like a pretty reasonable price given the carbon wheels, condition of the bike, and current market.

A new large X01, presumably being sold by a bike shop.
    2016 Soma Wolverine V2.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Got a few more rides in on my Spur, what a bike! Lockdown here in Wales finished last week so took it to my local centre for a spin and it was awesome. Still tuning the suspension a bit and tempted by the Race Day damper for the fork. The Rockshox fender for the Sid is super neat too.

Finally fitted my carbon cranks, but disappointed I couldn't fit my 34T oval ring, was told it would fit Bigger rotor gone on the rear too, I'm only 165lbs but the 160mm rotor lacks bite.

Transition Spur-spur-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You are a much more understanding and/or forgiving person than I am... I would 100% expect a replacement triangle for that kind of failure (assuming it wasn't something stupid I did, like take a chisel and hammer to the cable housing mount). Of course I wouldn't expect it to be overnighted to me given that it doesn't affect function.
    Iím not sure how exactly it failed. Iím thinking giving itís location it was from my heal from a misplaced foot on the pedal? Definitely wasnít from a fall/crash/wreck. I remember hearing a tick/click/tap and wondered what the hell is that? Sounded like something inside the frame like a pebble. Did my usual investigation for noises and found the cable.

Currently got some Velcro on frame and cable and itís working fine. Certainly not aesthetically pleasing, but Iíll see what TR says.

I seem to be always plagued with warranty issues. Whether itís with the frame or a component.....canít get too upset. While Iím not saying itís acceptable to have to go through as many as I have.....what can you do!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    @Suns_PSD made a great point about the Spur.

Regardless of bike, to ride how I want with my (lack of) riding technique, I need a DH rear rim, aggressive tires with inserts, metal cranks, etc. because otherwise I walk out a lot. If I place those same components on a Spur, I'd just end up with a less capable Enduro bike.

I bought the GX build that came with the Stans Arch S1 wheel set. They are 26mm ID and weighed 1942 grams.

I just bought the Industry Nine Trail S 1/1 wheel set which is 27mm ID and
    1770 grams. So slightly less weight and slightly wider. I also threw on some XR4 tires that were a little less weight than the Dissector/Dissector combo I was running. The small weight drop and rolling resistance drop can be felt. Earth shattering no, but its there.

I'm leaning more towards the lighter wheelset now. One of the main reasons I'm building the Spur is to be a fast, effecient and fun bike for my local trails and the Zipp wheels are definitely overkill. They would also lend to heavier/burlier tires which will probably be counterproductive on this bike for my local trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm leaning more towards the lighter wheelset now. One of the main reasons I'm building the Spur is to be a fast, effecient and fun bike for my local trails and the Zipp wheels are definitely overkill. They would also lend to heavier/burlier tires which will probably be counterproductive on this bike for my local trails.
    I never realized how much tire choice can also affect the acceleration/speed/snappiness/zip on a bike either. I got stuck on Minions DHF/DHR for so long time. Itís all I really knew. I looked at the Rekon on my Spur and it looked so insufficient. It actually was a good dry conditions tire, and had descent traction. It did wear pretty quickly though. Currently trying XR4ís front and rear.....pretty good so far. More aggressive than the Rekon, similar to the Aggressor, touch lighter weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Seller can't ship even though ad says he can. Must be default setting. Anyway, large brand new X01: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2930517/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Seller can't ship even though ad says he can. Must be default setting. Anyway, large brand new X01: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2930517/
    Zip code appears to be Charlotte NC area.....better hurry!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I never realized how much tire choice can also affect the acceleration/speed/snappiness/zip on a bike either. I got stuck on Minions DHF/DHR for so long time. Itís all I really knew. I looked at the Rekon on my Spur and it looked so insufficient. It actually was a good dry conditions tire, and had descent traction. It did wear pretty quickly though. Currently trying XR4ís front and rear.....pretty good so far. More aggressive than the Rekon, similar to the Aggressor, touch lighter weight.
    I've been riding DHF 2.5 EXO+ for almost 2 years and they are great when I travel to big mountains to ride but are absolute overkill for my local trails. Some of my favorite riding in the last year has been on my local trails on my singlespeed Kona Honzo with 2.2 XC tires. I'm finding that I enjoy being fast and effecient more these days which is the biggest motivating factor in purchasing the Spur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been riding DHF 2.5 EXO+ for almost 2 years and they are great when I travel to big mountains to ride but are absolute overkill for my local trails. Some of my favorite riding in the last year has been on my local trails on my singlespeed Kona Honzo with 2.2 XC tires. I'm finding that I enjoy being fast and effecient more these days which is the biggest motivating factor in purchasing the Spur.
    I was riding some of my local trails much more than normal on my other bike with the lockdowns. I thought I knew the exact speed, the exact gear, the exact time to brake, when to pump with that bike and thought I was riding pretty fast on those trails. When I got the Spur everything that was familiar on the other bike was erased. Sure they are different bikes. My other bike is a 27.5 150/130 bike, so itís not exactly a direct comparison to the Spur. I thought it was the tires so I put the exact same combo of Dissector/Rekon and it did speed things up, however, the Spur pedals so much better. It is also much more playful on those same trails. Fast and efficient is a good description for the Spur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got a few more rides in on my Spur, what a bike! Lockdown here in Wales finished last week so took it to my local centre for a spin and it was awesome. Still tuning the suspension a bit and tempted by the Race Day damper for the fork. The Rockshox fender for the Sid is super neat too.

Finally fitted my carbon cranks, but disappointed I couldn't fit my 34T oval ring, was told it would fit Bigger rotor gone on the rear too, I'm only 165lbs but the 160mm rotor lacks bite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spur-4.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	717.7 KB 
ID:	1377369
    What's appealing about the race day damper? Just the lighter weight?

I can't get over how good this bike looks. My mind keeps wandering to similar bikes that others have mentioned - Izzo, Ripley, Ranger... but I keep landing back at the Spur. It seems like the right bike for my situation for so many reasons, and the looks certainly don't hurt!
    2016 Soma Wolverine V2.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I can't get over how good this bike looks. My mind keeps wandering to similar bikes that others have mentioned - Izzo, Ripley, Ranger... but I keep landing back at the Spur. It seems like the right bike for my situation for so many reasons, and the looks certainly don't hurt!
    When my fork went out for warranty service for the bushing issue I almost bought another fork cuz I wasn't sure how long it would take. Did some research and I found a couple things.

Sid Ultimate
    Race Day Damper
    1537 grams

Sid Select
    Charger RL Damper
    1671 grams

Sid Select +
    Charger 2 RL damper
    1703 grams

While the Ultimate has the Race Day damper and extra machining of the crown to get the weight down, I think the main benefit IS the weight. The smaller damper may not be the best for performance? Not less in performance initially, but for longer sustained runs?

Sid Select had the Charger RL so its the older Charger damper with less machining of the crown so its heavier. So heavier damper but its the older version of the Charger.

The Select + has the Charger 2 RL damper so its the newest version of the Charger Damper. Weight is obviously the heaviest, however, wouldn't the Select + give you the best performance? Not talking about weight now. Since its the newer Charger 2 damper you get the newest version with a weight penalty? Since it has the larger bladder it will hold up better during sustained/longer runs?

Select + for now is only OEM on complete bikes from what I understand?

If your looking for lightest weight 35mm the Sid Ultimate would be the choice.

You can put the Race Day Damper in all the forks from what I understand so if you want to lighten your Select that will drop ~100 grams.

I believe though that the Select + will have the better damper if you are not looking for the lightest weight fork.

Unless you prefer Charger 1 vs Charger 2?

Maybe there are some suspension Gurus that can chime in?

No. Just No.
    I believe though that the Select + will have the better damper if you are not looking for the lightest weight fork.
    Is it also an option to go in the other direction, installing a Charger 2 RL damper in the 35 Ultimate instead of the Race Day, for anyone who is getting the Ultimate stock but is looking for increased performance on longer descents?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Is it also an option to go in the other direction, installing a Charger 2 RL damper in the 35 Ultimate instead of the Race Day, for anyone who is getting the Ultimate stock but is looking for increased performance on longer descents?
    Iím only speculating on the performance differences based on oil volume/bladder size based on rear shocks with piggyback reservoirs. I think it should be possible though. That being said, however, I have found it hard to find the actual Rockshox part number for the Charger 2 RL in 120 max travel.

mtbr member
    Currently trying XR4ís front and rear.....pretty good so far
    Really under-rated tyre IMO. I've run them on the rear for a while, currently running a Dissector on the back but it isn't as large a volume, slightly heavier, and doesn't roll any faster. It came with the bike so it's OK, but I just won another as a spot prize at a local enduro and I'm thinking of flicking it off and putting another XR4 on there instead. Best thing about them is you can often score them dirt cheap from people who have bought a brand new Trek and are too brand-focused to even give the stock tyres a chance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Weight partly, but oil volume aside I'm hoping it could perform a little better, there's precious little about the select or select+ forks, but plenty on the ultimate. We don't have huge, long descents in the UK so not worried about it fading (though this seems a non-issue going on reviews anyway), so if it's better and lighter it's a win win, if it's just lighter and performs as well, still a bit of a win!

Going back to tyres though, they make a huge difference to how a bike rides. My old Whyte wore a 3C DHF/HRII combo one winter and it stayed on until summer, by god did they drag, even in 2.3. Went to 2.35 Forekasters and the bike felt so much faster and livelier and didn't feel much less confident descending. The speed between corners made up for any traction loss in the turns. I guess it depends on where you ride, as a lighter tyre won't hold up in super chundery terrain, but then as others have said, have to question whether the Spur is the right bike at that point. For me it's a lightweight trail bike, sure you can overfork it and put burlier tyres and not ruin it, but I think the thing that makes it so fun is how light it and adding weight is going to take away slightly from that, even if you throw down crazy money elsewhere to bring the overall weight down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Really under-rated tyre IMO. I've run them on the rear for a while, currently running a Dissector on the back but it isn't as large a volume, slightly heavier, and doesn't roll any faster. It came with the bike so it's OK, but I just won another as a spot prize at a local enduro and I'm thinking of flicking it off and putting another XR4 on there instead. Best thing about them is you can often score them dirt cheap from people who have bought a brand new Trek and are too brand-focused to even give the stock tyres a chance!
    Dissector seems to wear pretty quickly in the 3C compound. How does the XR4 hold up? Iíve only had a handful of rides so far, but they seem pretty good option for price/weight/traction/rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    About the same perhaps? Not great, but I do have a couple of regular local loops that involve some tarmac miles to link trails together. I think the steep-ish road climbs wear rear tyres pretty quickly, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    I'm about to buy a SID Select but now I read another report of a warranty issue with this fork. Are the problems you had with the fork resolved after you received it back from Rockshox?

How happy are you otherwise with the fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1212 View Post
    I'm about to buy a SID Select but now I read another report of a warranty issue with this fork. Are the problems you had with the fork resolved after you received it back from Rockshox?

How happy are you otherwise with the fork?
    I sent my fork out for the warranty issue. Iím not exactly sure what was causing the klunking noise but mine came back with new lowers. It had something to do with either the bushings or the casting that held the bushings in. Not every fork is affected, there are members here that never had an issue. I had my fork back in about ~7 days. Since it came back the issue has not occurred again.

I am overall very happy with the Sid. It fits this bike really well. It has a very supportive feel, not ultra plush, but sporty feeling. I set my sag to 25% and have never felt the need to change that. I use all the 120mm travel just about every time I take it out, but have never found it bottomed out harshly or felt like I needed to change it or the settings.

I have said it in earlier posts this is the first bike I have not immediately felt the need to change/improve/alter/upgrade the fork or shock. I like the Sid suspension and how it works with the Spur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Sounds good, thanks for your reply. May I ask how heavy you are and if you use any tokens in the fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1212 View Post
    Sounds good, thanks for your reply. May I ask how heavy you are and if you use any tokens in the fork?
    Iím ~190 pounds riding weight. I am not running any tokens currently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Thanks a lot!
    I'm trying to decide between SID Select and Pike Select for my next bike but I think I'll go with the SID.

mtbr member
    I'll add a data point and subscribe to this thread since I've been watching for awhile. In late July I ordered a small X01 Spur in deep sea green for my fiancť and a large X01 Spur in black powder for myself. ETAs were originally October for the small and January for the large. Each got pushed back to the next month (November/February), and I got the call today that the small is ready to ship. It seems like Transition is doing a pretty good job of roughly sticking to their estimated delivery times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crj5 View Post
    I'll add a data point and subscribe to this thread since I've been watching for awhile. In late July I ordered a small X01 Spur in deep sea green for my fiancť and a large X01 Spur in black powder for myself. ETAs were originally October for the small and January for the large. Each got pushed back to the next month (November/February), and I got the call today that the small is ready to ship. It seems like Transition is doing a pretty good job of roughly sticking to their estimated delivery times.
    After reading this I realized I had a missed call from WA. It was indeed Transition trying to call but didnít leave a voicemail. Fingers crossed mine is shipping too. large x01ordered July 18.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post

After reading this I realized I had a missed call from WA...
    Sounds like yours is likely ready. Get in touch with them, they were confirming my order to make sure I still wanted it after waiting so long. They charged my card and give tracking info within a couple hours of the call.

Registered Dietitian
    Zip code appears to be Charlotte NC area.....better hurry!
    Yeah, that one's mine now... first ride was this morning. It's a lot of fun.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    Yeah, that one's mine now... first ride was this morning. It's a lot of fun.
    Nice, almost year round riding in NC.....enjoy!

No. Just No.
    This is exactly what my rides will look like when my Spur arrives. Well, maybe not quite like this.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...ntry-bike.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Need help .. Spur or Switchblade

Hi guys,

My local terrain consists of mainly short ups and downs so I am considering a transition spur. I do occasional overseas trip to bike parks average twice a year.
    I have been eyeing the Switchblade since its out but now the Spur looks really good for my local trails.

Anyone has experience to share on comparing these 2 bikes? Any advise is welcome too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A little more info.
    I currently own a mondraker dune which is a 27.5 170f/160r. Our terrain is not quite buff.. there are some drops (prob 2 to 3 feet) , rock gardens , rooty trails, all thrown into the mix. No super steep stuff though.. the max speed i did was 25 miles/hr in a few sections.

I tried my friend's 2019 trek fuel 7 with 120mm travel and it worked fine albeit a bit harsher at rock gardens. Works better at rooty trails though and climbs better. Weight of both bikes are similar.

That's why I wonder if its 29er effect or travel effect. If its just 29er, then SB would work well. If its travel, then spur would be good.
    Price wise, a x01 spur costs a couple hundred more than a SB pro xt/xtr build.

Does this info makes any difference to the suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by winkplay View Post
    A little more info.
    I currently own a mondraker dune which is a 27.5 170f/160r. Our terrain is not quite buff.. there are some drops (prob 2 to 3 feet) , rock gardens , rooty trails, all thrown into the mix. No super steep stuff though.. the max speed i did was 25 miles/hr in a few sections.

I tried my friend's 2019 trek fuel 7 with 120mm travel and it worked fine albeit a bit harsher at rock gardens. Works better at rooty trails though and climbs better. Weight of both bikes are similar.

That's why I wonder if its 29er effect or travel effect. If its just 29er, then SB would work well. If its travel, then spur would be good.
    Price wise, a x01 spur costs a couple hundred more than a SB pro xt/xtr build.

Does this info makes any difference to the suggestions?
    A short travel 29er will climb/pedal marginally better than a mid travel 29er. The mid travel 29er will descend marginally better than a short travel 29er.

Pick what works better for what you do the most?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Unfortunately, waiting for a ship date for my Spur frame has made my eyes wander. The 2021 Stumpjumper really has my eye. It's actually lighter than the Spur frame boy I love that SWAT storage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Unfortunately, waiting for a ship date for my Spur frame has made my eyes wander. The 2021 Stumpjumper really has my eye. It's actually lighter than the Spur frame boy I love that SWAT storage.
    My LBS has the '21 SJ frame, and says it's been sitting for over a month. Reason: he thinks all the online reviews touting the very-average climbing has buyers going to the Epic Evo or SJ Evo. I do like the SWAT, too.

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    My LBS has the '21 SJ frame, and says it's been sitting for over a month. Reason: he thinks all the online reviews touting the very-average climbing has buyers going to the Epic Evo or SJ Evo. I do like the SWAT, too.
    Please tell me how to get an S3 SJ frame-only, any color. It's out of stock online for the time being, and no ETA. I asked my LBS to demo one, and they said already have 30+ preorders. I'll probably be able to demo eventually, but I'm already ok to order as is.

At least the M Ripley was in stock in one place but now is also out. And for the Spur, I gave up a long time ago. People who ordered in the summer '20 are waiting until summer '21. Really?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've seen mixed reviews of the bike. Flow mtb seemed to love the bike while Bikeradar seemed "meh" about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    Please tell me how to get an S3 SJ frame-only, any color. It's out of stock online for the time being, and no ETA. I asked my LBS to demo one, and they said already have 30+ preorders. I'll probably be able to demo eventually, but I'm already ok to order as is.

At least the M Ripley was in stock in one place but now is also out. And for the Spur, I gave up a long time ago. People who ordered in the summer '20 are waiting until summer '21. Really?
    I must be lucky lately. Called LBS, and they have large GX arriving in December and large x01 in February. Both unspoken for. Want 30% refundable deposit. Will not ship. Called weeks later and still unspoken for. There's a large used Spur with a mishmash of parts on PB asking $5900, and everyone is asking seller to part it out. Frame/fork good. Everything else "meh".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I must be lucky lately. Called LBS, and they have large GX arriving in December and large x01 in February. Both unspoken for. Want 30% refundable deposit. Will not ship. Called weeks later and still unspoken for. There's a large used Spur with a mishmash of parts on PB asking $5900, and everyone is asking seller to part it out. Frame/fork good. Everything else "meh".
    As TR stated in their podcast, the best chance to pick up a Spur will be with a LBS. They are filling the LBS pre orders before the TR website orders since they went in first. I have also seen/heard Spurs show up unsold in a few bike shops as well. You may need to travel...I drove 4hrs to pick up mine.

If you live in NY, VT, ME, NH or Mass and want to take a drive.....there is a medium GX Spur sitting at Chucks Bikes in Morrisville VT. Itís there as of today and he has more on the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Got the call my bike is ready to ship -- should be here by the end of the week. Deep Sea Green XO1 size XL, ordered mid-July.

Just a heads up for those waiting, you may get a call from a private number without any email or voicemail -- I emailed them this AM asking for an update and they said my bike has been ready for a week and they tried reaching out.
    Last edited by evo3gsx; 20 Hours Ago at 06:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Direct order from Transition

I received my July 18th order this past Sunday via fedex ground. Large X01 build in black. I had to chase the truck down since I wasnít there when they arrived and required a signature. A few observations for those that ordered direct.

-Comes with tubes installed and three small Stans bottles and tubeless valves
    -came with the one up lever installed on the brake but also included the clamp if you want to change brakes or adjust further inboard.
    -includes the one up pins to adjust the seat post height which was helpful since I had to slam post and reduce by 10mm
    -comes with the requisite reflectors and the sram rear derailleur setup tool

Super happy it came with all these spare bits for fine tuning.

It took no time to setup bike, set up wheels tubeless, and install cushcore in rear tire.

First ride was a success but I couldnít ride to full potential since the brakes need to be bed in and I needed to do a quick bleed to get the lever feel I desire.

Now need to put on shock wiz to help with the tuning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Spur-f45d54b5-808c-4ca2-8848-ab4f35058680.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That seems promising, I ordered my Large Green frame on July 11th. Although, I'm sure completes and frames are on different timelines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

just shipped as well

echo what's recently been posted. I ordered in Summer.... it shipped to shop and will be here at end of week.

green Medium

mtbr member
    Next SL cranks and Industry Nine's are meh? Not my bike but... LOL. Seems like a good deal. The GX derailleur functions literally no differently than an XO1. You 100% Cannot tell the difference. Shifter yes, derailleur no. Shifter's are $100... Just saying.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Availability still sounds patchy, particularly for Large's here in the UK, my LBS has a medium in stock but the last Large they had in went within a few days. Mine as from their first order, placed around a month before launch and I still didn't get it until mid-October.

Got about 150km on mine now and still loving it, its so damn fast in all conditions, up and down. Thing that amazed me is how tight a line you can hold on it, particularly low-ish speed. There's some awkward flat corners on my trails and the bike just rails them, and can get way tighter than than my hardtail or any other bike I've ridden. Decided to upgrade the fork to the Race Day damper once they need a lowers service, just to see how it goes. Got a bargain full X01 group from my LBS too (it's older 10-50T but still DUB X01 crank) so need to get that fitted ASAP, should drop it to around 12kg on the dot!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Next SL cranks and Industry Nine's are meh? Not my bike but... LOL. Seems like a good deal. The GX derailleur functions literally no differently than an XO1. You 100% Cannot tell the difference. Shifter yes, derailleur no. Shifter's are $100... Just saying.
    Not exactly pillars of high quality or longevity.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Mine, and a few locals riders, all had GX pulleys snap. Didn't hit anything. I'm all about running SLX derailleurs on a few bikes with XTR shifters, but my SRAM bikes have X01. GX chains are crap, derailleurs as mentioned above. Okay, okay, I can't tell the diff between the GX and X01 trigger, but still went X01.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    trail head cyclery in Cupertino has a large black AXS Spur in stock.
    https://www.trailheadcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    echo what's recently been posted. I ordered in Summer.... it shipped to shop and will be here at end of week.

green Medium
    Frame only?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Despite my component failures (Sid bushings and OneUp dropper failures) Iíve got nothing but good things to say about this bike. I know everyone has preferences and opinions about the components that come on the bike but those can always be swapped out.

First bike I have owned in a long time that I havenít felt the need to swap/change/alter/improve the suspension or itís functionality.

I did swap out the wheels and tires, to lose a little weight but thatís all it really needed.

New all time favorite bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just got word that my frame will be arriving at Transition HQ on or about the 8th and they will ship it shortly after that.

I just decided in the last week to get a custom wheelset built instead of using the Zipps from my Offering. The wheel builder said it will be 3-4 weeks so I'll probably have a week or two before I can build up the bike. Not a big deal given the weather lately and already waiting 5 months for the frame.

Still on the fence about whether I'm going to do an invisiframe...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

complete

Frame only?
    It's an X01 complete.....

mtbr member
    As TR stated in their podcast, the best chance to pick up a Spur will be with a LBS. They are filling the LBS pre orders before the TR website orders since they went in first. I have also seen/heard Spurs show up unsold in a few bike shops as well. You may need to travel...I drove 4hrs to pick up mine.
    I can second this. I called around to some local shops. Got a call back from one saying we just got a medium in, unspoken for. I stopped in the following day and nabbed it. Beats waiting months for an order. All the other bikes I was looking at from other brands were similarly backordered. If I was one of you waiting for months and months I'd be on the phone calling shops.

Loving the spur so far! So fast and very capable.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345