Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread

The redesigned Transition Sentinel is now live!

Transition Sentinel 2020 Highlights

• Full EPS molded carbon frame (front triangle, rear triangle, and rocker)
    • New, progressive suspension design
    • 148mm Boost dropout spacing
    • Stock rear travel 150mm with 62.5mm stroke shock
    • Downsize to 140mm rear travel with 57.5mm stroke shock
    • Enduro Max sealed bearings with bearing shields on main pivot
    • 44mm/56mm Press In Headset
    • Threaded bottom bracket
    • Molded rubber chainstay, seatstay & downtube protection
    • External rear brake cable routing
    • Water bottle storage inside the front triangle
    • Accessory mount on underside of toptube
    • 29-inch wheels with tire clearance up to 2.6-inches wide
    • Weight: 7.05 lbs frame with shock

Geometry

How does it ride?

"Iíve cleaned more techy climbing sections, felt more confident on blind trails, and had more fun riding the Sentinel than many previous bikes. The Sentinelís climbing characteristics may require a bit of readjustment if youíre not accustomed to Transitionís geometry, but once you find the sweet spot, this bike will most certainly leave you satiated as you clean more technical bits than you have on any other bike."

Read our first impressions here: https://reviews.mtbr.com/review-2020...ition-sentinel
    News and reviews from Mtbr.

In the trenches

Sentinel v2

Some initial thoughts

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had been anxiously awaiting the release of the 2.0 as an option over the Ripmo AF. Sadly with no AL option Iím out. 4500 for NX with mediocre suspension and no coil options are disappointing. Might still look at OG and the new link option.

mtbr member
    Big fan out the external rear brake as someone who works on their own bikes and changes parts out more frequently than necessary.

Bearing integration looks to be a little better so they donít get destroyed multiple times a year? Maybe wishful thinking.

Paint appears to still be sub-par as the pinkbike tester had paint chips already.

More progressive is awesome.

I like the longer chain-stays personally.

I really like the straight lines. Looks awesome. Though the colors (ďloam goldĒ?) arenít my cup of tea.

Looks like great bike, but if I was to get a new bike right now it would still be an Enduro.

mtbr member
    Good lookin' bike!

Specific to my size, but I wish XL were just a tad longer. I think that because they also make an XXL they didn't push the geometry as far. Wish that reach were like 510, closer to Norco Sight territory.

The "Loam pool," the cavity under the lower shock mount that will fill with water and mud is kind of a bummer. I live in the PNW and so do the Transition guys, so this seems like an oversight.

Given that they kept this bike a bit conservative, and that the "alternative travel" option is shorter not longer, I expect the Patrol to be updated next and to include a 170mm 29er option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So was coil a 18 month marketing trick like plus tires?

mtbr member
    Liked it so much I just bought a gx alloy in red ......$3650 shipped ftw.....not a fan of sramshox.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    In order to avoid canibalizing the new Sentinel a potential 29er Patrol should have 180 front - 170 rear travel and 63 head angle. I would love to see such a bike I doubt it will happen.

EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
    I would think you could just overfork the Sentinel to get a 170/150 bike pretty easy.
    Life is easy. Figure out the price of whatever it is you want, then pay that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I really like the straight lines. Looks awesome. Though the colors (ďloam goldĒ?) arenít my cup of tea.
    Funny, I liked the swoopy lines of the previous versions better. Made Transition bikes stand out from the crowd and you could ID one at a glance. But the new lines aren't bad, at all.

As for Loam Gold, the pictures don't do it justice. I had the chance to see one a few weeks ago when the Transition crew was out testing the new mega jump line they build and it's a really, really nice color in person!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Niner Rep told me they are bringing back the WFO at 180/170 with the new Fox 38.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    is it me or is there a trend with a lot of bike companies that cheaper alloy models are getting pushed out of line ups and being replaces by carbon? I wish this will not happen with transition. I think it is happening already though. Personally I hope I am wrong but I think that the previous gen sentinel alloys will be gone within the next year.

mtbr member
    I've been noticing the lack of alloy options lately too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Funny, I liked the swoopy lines of the previous versions better. Made Transition bikes stand out from the crowd and you could ID one at a glance. But the new lines aren't bad, at all.

As for Loam Gold, the pictures don't do it justice. I had the chance to see one a few weeks ago when the Transition crew was out testing the new mega jump line they build and it's a really, really nice color in person!
    Ok, upon further review I may agree with you. I did like my Pinot Noir sentinel better than my Megatower as far as looks were concerned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    I've been noticing the lack of alloy options lately too.

Even if they did make an alloy sentinel, I donít think transition could come close to touching the value of this bike. Geo is good too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Privateer is hard to ignore!

mtbr member
    Agree - really liking the Privateer's geometry and price

mtbr member
    The Privateer has an 80 degree seat tube angle with ridiculously short top tube numbers. I'm not going to purchase something like that without a test ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The Privateer has an 80 degree seat tube angle with ridiculously short top tube numbers. I'm not going to purchase something like that without a test ride.
    Yea, top tube looks short. I hate climbing with short top tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    without turning this into a Privateer thread, is it me or the sizing for the 161 all effed up?

the P2 has
    reach: 470mm
    wheelbase: 1250mm
    which puts it in the L/XL Sentinel

but has
    Top tube: 581mm
    which puts it in Medium

Edit: Just saw that oldhouseman and MUSTCLIME said the same thing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    without turning this into a Privateer thread, is it me or the sizing for the 161 all effed up?

the P2 has
    reach: 470mm
    wheelbase: 1250mm
    which puts it in the L/XL Sentinel

but has
    Top tube: 581mm
    which puts it in Medium

Edit: Just saw that oldhouseman and MUSTCLIME said the same thing
    Personally I feel like reach is a better gauge of how cramped/stretched out you feel on the bike than top tube length. But yes, that seat tube angle is pretty extreme and would be interesting to see how it rides.

mtbr member
    Wrong thread

mtbr member
    The STA on the Privteer could easily be remedied with a set-back post if you weren't comfortable with it, but I agree that it does seem a little odd unless they're counting on people really sizing up.

I was interested to see the pricing on the new frames too, and that there is no alloy option available thus far. Here in NZ Transition are now Yeti/Santa Cruz kinda dollars for the framesets (haven't compared the various builds closely yet), which part of me thinks is fair enough but another part feels like they're pricing themselves out of a good part of their market. I think we could see a resurgence of the alloy bike, with brands like Privateer or Knolly perhaps, when you can buy a well engineered alloy frame for $1kUSD less which performs very similarly and only has a slight weight penalty.

Trail Ninja
    The Privateer is for people who would like a bike that rewards those who spend more time out of the saddle. Seated pedaling with a steep STA trains more of the muscles required for out-of-the-saddle pedaling, due to the smaller difference between the two positions.

Seated pedaling/training on bikes with a slacker STA doesn't fully carry over to steep STA bikes. Might need to spend like 200-500 miles on the new bike to get muscles trained up in stamina to feel adapted, and able to fully use cardio training without legs fatiguing first, especially if you're the type that spends 85+% of your time in the saddle.

VitalMTB has a Transition QA thread. https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-...kes-Crew,10878
    Last edited by Varaxis; 05-01-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    May 2017
    why are we talking about that bike, this is a sentinel thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    Lol, to me the thing that ďmadeĒ the sentinel the bike that it was the alloy frame option. Transition walked away from that....kinda a let down IMO. I think that is why people are talking about other bikes on the thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    Transition employees come on here, and maybe theyíll see people want well specíd alloy bikes at a great price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My mind is blown with no AL option. With the success of the AF I would have thought it would be a no brainer. I have to assume the profit margin just isnít there.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    its not just Transition you are seeing a trend across the whole industry where alloy bikes are getting pushed out by carbon counter parts.

mtbr member
    From a business perspective, designing, building, maintaining/supporting two frames for the same size/same bike adds costs. They have to build the jigs, keep spare/warranty parts, warehouse, inventory etc etc.

So in that perspective, it makes sense to go to one or the other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was eagerly awaiting for a Super Sentinel but unfortunately the new version is far from it. Don't get me wrong it would be a great option for many people but considering that I have the previous version I am not interested at all in "upgrading". Plus it is only carbon.

Transition please offer a Patrol 29 in aluminium with at least 170mm in the rear!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCman23 View Post
    its not just Transition you are seeing a trend across the whole industry where alloy bikes are getting pushed out by carbon counter parts.
    Having models in the $3000 price range is important for brands. You need entry level items to pull people into your brand. Ibis finally figured this out with the Ripmo AF. Transition had this.... now they donít.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Picked up the Sentinel for 5200 bux Gx Alloy, Best deal around for a new bike. Love this bike. Sure it has some issues, but that build kit is hard to beat. Now the new one is about 2600 bux more. It aint gonna be 26 hunny faster, smoother or higher. Sure if money isnt an object buy it. I tried out some bikes beforehand and I honestly felt more at home on the Sentinel! I think Transition Alloy bikes are really nice. Still have a OG Patrol, running strong, well maintained. The fact that Transition builds the bikes to suit riders with quality components and good engineering puts them up near the lead with other companies. I will wait till this New Sentinel comes in alloy and goes on sale. (probaly is going to be a long wait) Till then I will ride the f0ck outta this one!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I currently ride a 2015 Smuggler that I love and a 2017 Patrol that I love except for the smaller wheelsize. Both great all arounders. Looking to combine both into one bike. All the reviews indicate the Sentinel is a great all arounder. For riders with experience on v1, would you agree it makes for a good daily driver/trail bike (does all arounder capture that)? Or, are the reviewers merely helping the company position the Sentinel between their upcoming Super Sentinel/Patrol and downcountry bikes? My local riding is very steep up and down with rocks/roots/chunk. Daily ride is 1500'+ climbing over 8-10 miles or so, but rough trails with some small natural drops and jumps mixed in

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I have a 2018 alloy sentinel. I was worried it would be too much bike, but that has not been the case. I settled on the sentinel because most of the people I ride with are faster/more experienced than I am and I wanted a little more edge to keep up. 30 mile days are no problem on it, and I've even done a 40+ mile day with a LOT of elevation. It sounds like our riding areas are similar, as I have a good bit of climbing, with some steepish decents and no huge drops so it works quite well. I haven't had the issues blowing through the travel but I'm not that aggressive of a rider. The bike doesn't do well if you smash the pedals while standing in the wrong gear. If you keep the pedals spinning it climbs well. Yes a tallboy will pedal better, but my friends on hightowers/ripmos don't seem to really outgun me going uphill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If any of you swing a leg over the new 150 it would be great to hear about how it rides. No interest at all in the non-existent alu version . . .
    Last edited by Stroganof; 05-05-2020 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Also interested in actual unbiased ďnormalĒ ride reviews from fellow members here and hopefully some comparisons to other modern bikes they have owned or rode recently. All the initial reviews from Pinkbike and other big YouTube channels/MTB pages are positive but would like to hear some reviews from members here. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSparkVB4 View Post
    Also interested in actual unbiased ďnormalĒ ride reviews from fellow members here and hopefully some comparisons to other modern bikes they have owned or rode recently. All the initial reviews from Pinkbike and other big YouTube channels/MTB pages are positive but would like to hear some reviews from members here. Thanks!
    I donít think anyone will say itís worse than the previous gen sentinel. Most peopleís concerns I think will be itís too similar to their previous bike and doesnít warrant the upgrade.

Just more speculation and not a real ride review.

mtbr member
    Mine should be built up next week.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello Everyone,
    New user here. Attempting to get back into the game after a few years out. I am 6'8" and wondering if anyone could give me any input on if the XXL Sentinel would be large enough for me? I have done my research and it seems to be one of the bigger bikes out right now when compared to the likes of the Santa Cruz megatower and Gorilla Gravity Gnarvana.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake N. View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    New user here. Attempting to get back into the game after a few years out. I am 6'8" and wondering if anyone could give me any input on if the XXL Sentinel would be large enough for me? I have done my research and it seems to be one of the bigger bikes out right now when compared to the likes of the Santa Cruz megatower and Gorilla Gravity Gnarvana.

Thanks
    It's definitely a big bike and should serve you well - if you are really looking for the biggest options Geometron and Pole are where it's at though.

Really interested in this new Sentinel coming off a Megatower - be interested to hear from anyone who are comparing the two or ridden both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Nice canít wait for the review once you build it up!
    Last edited by RSparkVB4; 05-08-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: No quotes

iij
    k
    Got my frame and built the bike just before the past weekend, and had a couple hours of riding now to share my initial impressions with the bike, with the bike before this being a V1 Sentinel in large.

The build:

Frame: Large,Loam Gold
    Shock: Fox Float X2 Performance Elite
    Fork: Fox 36 GRIP2, 170mm/44mm offset
    Seatpost: Oneup Dropper 210mm
    Saddle: Specialized Power Comp
    Stem: Easton 32mm
    Handlebar: Easton Carbon 800mm
    Grips: Renthal Push-on, Kevlar
    Brakes: Code RSC, 200mm/180mm
    Rear mech: Eagle XX1
    Cassette: Eagle XX1
    Chain: Eagle GX
    Cranks: Eagle GX, 170mm, 32T
    Pedals: Oneup Aluminium
    Wheels: Roval Fattie SL
    Tyres: Specialized Eliminator BLCK DMND 2.6", Cushcore rear

Size feels very similar to V1, and build weight about the same (14.9kg / 32.85lbs). It feels a bit different pedalling, a touch more effective even. The biggest difference is when pointed downhill; the 10mm extra travel I don't think you really notice that much, but boy, that added progressiveness and support you do feel! To use review terms, it sure felt 'bottomless'. Corners felt the same(which is amazing), even with the slightly longer chainstay and overall wheelbase. It's quite different in character now as well, with the V2 being quite a bit more 'poppy'. Spent the first 4 laps of the day overjumping every jump at the speed I'm used to run at my local bikepark.

Overall I'm quite happy I pulled the trigger on the new Sentinel, even if it doesn't look like much of difference on paper, it really fixed the part that I didn't completely get along with the first gen, the feel of the rear suspension.

And oh: pics or it didn't happen, right?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-dscf1681.jpg  

Last edited by iij; 05-18-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: miss

In the trenches
    I can't see a pic and want to see this new Sentinel in action!

edit: nice build

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Do you think it pedals better than the v1? The v1 has a bit of bob out of saddle.

iij
    k
    Quote Originally Posted by B3nnyH View Post
    Do you think it pedals better than the v1? The v1 has a bit of bob out of saddle.
    I'd say it felt a bit more responsive while pedalling, while still feeling quite active. Wouldn't reach for the compression lever for anything other than fireroad climbing.

mtbr member
    Are these actually available? I checked with my LBS and they're saying late June. I was hoping to throw a leg over one to confirm sizing before placing an order.

iij
    k
    Are these actually available? I checked with my LBS and they're saying late June. I was hoping to throw a leg over one to confirm sizing before placing an order.
    The first batch sold out really quick, I actually contacted 30 or so different dealers and got lucky with getting one frame in the right size.

mtbr member
    Yes, my local shop in Santa Cruz has at least two in stock. (Another Bike Shop) Also saw a gold one in the wild on my ride yesterday and it looked really good.

mtbr member
    This bike is very good. I did not own the V1 so I can't compare but compared to the many other bikes in this class I have owned it has quickly become one of my favorite. Currently running Fox 38 170 which I prefer over the 160. Weight came in at 31 lbs which I was also happy with.

Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-img_7097.jpg

mtbr member
    I would love a large frame in the gold but there isn't any available until late August.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    This bike is very good. I did not own the V1 so I can't compare but compared to the many other bikes in this class I have owned it has quickly become one of my favorite. Currently running Fox 38 170 which I prefer over the 160. Weight came in at 31 lbs which I was also happy with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	1334685
    Not bad weight considering what this thing is. What size frame. Coil/Coil would likely land you around 33 which is still not bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Not bad weight considering what this thing is. What size frame. Coil/Coil would likely land you around 33 which is still not bad.
    Medium frame

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	1334685
    Very nice. How did you get the Factory Fox vs the Performance Elite?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I've been riding it for the past 2 weeks and here's my build:

175lbs / 5'11
    32.1 lbs
    Frame: Large,Loam Gold
    Fork: Lyrik 160mm Offset 42mm Charger 2 + DSD Runt
    Seatpost: Oneup Dropper 210mm
    Saddle: SDG Fly Mtn
    Stem: Ragley 40mm
    Handlebar: SQLab 30x 780mm carbon
    Grips: Chromag Format
    Brakes: Saint Lever on MT7 Calipers w/ Trickstuff pads 203mm StormHC
    Rear mech: Eagle AXS
    Cassette: XTR 12 speed M9100
    Chain: XTR
    Cranks: Eagle GX, 165mm, 32T Oval
    Pedals: XT M8120 Clipless
    Wheels: LightBicycle ASD942 on DT240 CXrays
    Tyres: DHF/DHR 2.6 EXO+ 3C MaxxTerra w/ Rimpact
    RideWrapped - cause their paint job still sucks :P

I came a Pole Machine in Medium size. In comparison, this bike is definitely more playful and navigation of this bike feels quicker. The Machine does feel more planted, however with the long chainstay, wheel base and at 36 lbs, it requires more user input to get the same feeling. For those who are comparing the Privateer to the new Sentinel, you are looking at 2-3 additional lbs just in the frame, which definitely changes your ride characteristic. I personally think there will the an AF version, but the small team at Transisition is probably focusing on their new carbon manufacturing process that gave us these awesome lines on the new Scout and Sentinel.

Other things I've noticed in comparison with the Pole:

Actual Seat Angle - 77 vs 79. Sentinel is 2 degrees slacker than the Pole, but feels equally as comfortable when climbing on my local trails. In fact I prefer the Sentinel over the Pole for pedaling up as it doesn't feel as sluggish. I still have my seat furthest forward as I got use to a 79 degree seat.

Effective Seat Angle - 71 vs 78. Sentinel is much slacker than the Pole. I had to relearn the movement as it required me to drop and push forward in order to slam my dropper. For the Pole, all I needed to do was squat directly down - no forward movement required - It felt more natural and was much quicker to get my seat down.

Stand over / slammed seat heightWith the above mentioned, it does take a little more effort and time to get the seat down, but once it's down on the Sentinel, you have SO MUCH ROOM when descending. On the large I can utilize 210mm of drop for a total of 700mm inseam for me (bb to rail). This includes 50mm (2") of collar showing - If I had my way, I would install a dropper that can retract to the collar of the frame. However pedaling with seat down would be uncomfortable being so cramped against the crank. With having such a low seat, I feel like this is where some of the stability magic comes in because you can tuck yourself into the bike much more (comparatively). It's one of the reason why DH bikes are so stable, because your center of gravity is lower than all other bike classes.

Head Angle 63.6 - I don't think there's any slacker bikes out there at 160mm. It's actually slacker than the Machine at 180mm of travel. Throwing a 170mm on the Sentinel will definitely put it in DH-slack territories (63!). Confidence inspiring no doubt. For what I ride 160mm is perfect.

Chainstay Length 455 vs 440 - Sentinel is 15mm shorter which is actually quite significant. Again for what I ride, 440 feels more playful, less sluggish, and plenty stable/balanced. I think this is a good number for aggressive trail bikes.

Here's a photo of build:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-img_1669.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looking at the sentinel v2, how will the new progressivism(?) do for larger riders? Iím about 250 ready to ride, and worried about bottom out issues. Looking at the XXL as Iím super tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Very nice. How did you get the Factory Fox vs the Performance Elite?
    Bought one for it separate.

Waldmeister
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the XXL addition. Any pictures of the big ones yet?
    IMTB

mtbr member
    Anyone know the max water bottle size that will fit in the front triangle?

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I ordered my XXL GX build and will report back soon after a ride or 2. I am going to switch out some other parts from my other bike first (carbon bars, wheels, stem, and maybe a custom coil shock from another bike.) Will post pics ASAP with my ride report. 6í6Ē 235lbs here for reference.

mtbr member
    I ordered my XXL GX build and will report back soon after a ride or 2. I am going to switch out some other parts from my other bike first (carbon bars, wheels, stem, and maybe a custom coil shock from another bike.) Will post pics ASAP with my ride report. 6í6Ē 235lbs here for reference.
    Curious to hear your ride report. Pretty much the same size and planning on the same size frame but in the NX build

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone know of any bike shops that have a large, grey frame In stock? Transition said mid August before another shipment arrives.

mtbr member
    Just had the shop place an order for a XXL NX build. Fingers crossed the time frame stays at mid June!

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice, sounds like the wait times are longer for frame only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    Nice, sounds like the wait times are longer for frame only.
    Just buy the whole bike and sell all the parts! Lol

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    May 2004

Here is my build

Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-568c1e21-5947-44a9-8e0e-e371474cabcb.jpgFrame: Large,Grey
    Fork: Lyrik 160mm Offset 42mm Charger 2 2021
    Seatpost: Oneup Dropper 210mm Shimmed to 200
    Saddle: Specialized phenom sworks
    Stem: Newmen 40
    Handlebar: enve m5 riser 780mm carbon
    Grips: Esi
    Brakes: Saint brakes swissstop 180 and trickstuff pas pads
    Rear mech: Xtr
    Cassette: XTR 12 speed M9100
    Chain: XTR
    Cranks: Next g4
    Pedals: Hope f20
    Wheels: nextie 32id with 28 spokeson DT350 CXrays
    Tyres: porcupine 2.6 onzas
    Invisiframed
    13.47kg ready to run

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Badass! How tall are you? I feel like Iím in between L and XL at just under 6í1Ē with long arms. Emailed transition and they highly recommended a large frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I just placed a deposit on a large GX build today. I am really looking forward to this bike. I sold my SB150 that i have ridden for a 20 months. I am hoping this is the type of bike i keep for a couple of years.

Anyone have ETA on bikes as i was told the wait could be 2 months.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi

I am 5'11" and its ok on the large. Its fits well climbing on long climbs even. On technical downhills first seemed long, with a shorter stem however is ok. Bur generally the feel of the slack head angle is different to what I am used.
    All in all its a great fit and if I was an inch longer fit maybe even more comfortable.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I am 6'8" and weigh around 250 and own a Xxl X01 build. So far I have ridden some of the rougher trails in my area (norcal) and have yet to bottom it out. The bike is amazing and pedals very well for a big bike. It comes with the new version of the X2 which holds more psi allowing us larger guys to get proper sag.

Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    Looking at the sentinel v2, how will the new progressivism(?) do for larger riders? Iím about 250 ready to ride, and worried about bottom out issues. Looking at the XXL as Iím super tall

ffwd
    Dec 2006
    Ditto here. 6' tall. Ordered a Large GX on the next batch a few weeks ago. Pulled the trigger without even seeing one in person. And I've tested/demo'd a good handful of 2019/2020 "wonder bikes" over the past year..
    Just felt right. Plus it checked more boxes build/option wise than all the others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake N. View Post
    I am 6'8" and weigh around 250 and own a Xxl X01 build. So far I have ridden some of the rougher trails in my area (norcal) and have yet to bottom it out. The bike is amazing and pedals very well for a big bike. It comes with the new version of the X2 which holds more psi allowing us larger guys to get proper sag.
    Thanks for the response! Post up some pics if youíve got them!

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pkrip View Post
    Ditto here. 6' tall. Ordered a Large GX on the next batch a few weeks ago. Pulled the trigger without even seeing one in person. And I've tested/demo'd a good handful of 2019/2020 "wonder bikes" over the past year..
    Just felt right. Plus it checked more boxes build/option wise than all the others.
    Were you given any type of eta?
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

ffwd
    Dec 2006
    Same. July/Aug for the next round.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    What are peopleís thoughts on adding a meg neg to the bike? I have the Super Deluxe on it now and wondering if it could get even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pkrip View Post
    Same. July/Aug for the next round.
    Good luck with that, wave 2 of Covid is on the way.

mtbr member
    What are peopleís thoughts on adding a meg neg to the bike? I have the Super Deluxe on it now and wondering if it could get even better.
    According to some other conversations, only super progressive bikes wouldnít benefit from a larger negative chamber. No personal experience with it, but Iíd say itís a great candidate, especially for how cheap it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Good luck with that, wave 2 of Covid is on the way.
    And the theoretical 2nd wave of covid-19 matters because.... lets bridge that gap IF it happens. I am pretty sure China is about finished with Covid-19 so the factories should be in full production. I am sure delays are due to quarantining product once it arrives in the states.

I am pretty sure the hold up is because of these issues and they have been factored in to current ETA's.

Just my thoughts and not backed up by statistics or anything, just some reasonable assumptions.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor, read up on the Spanish influenzas out brake..... it started around November 1917, swept the country winter 1918, the country shut down for 3-4 months and then they opened up again ... an wave 2 happened in the fall 1918... the second wave killed the most people.... the country closed again, cases went down, then they opened again..... long story made short, the flue kept coming back till 1921

Look it up...... my prediction is it will kill 1,000,000 in the US when all is said an done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Do yourself a favor, read up on the Spanish influenzas out brake..... it started around November 1917, swept the country winter 1918, the country shut down for 3-4 months and then they opened up again ... an wave 2 happened in the fall 1918... the second wave killed the most people.... the country closed again, cases went down, then they opened again..... long story made short, the flue kept coming back till 1921

Look it up...... my prediction is it will kill 1,000,000 in the US when all is said an done.
    Youíre using a pandemic from 100 years ago to make predictions on one in 2020. I think our medical system has advanced a little since then..
    Iím not going to bore this thread with real statistics. I got my eta from the Bikeshop that got it from transition.

ffwd
    Dec 2006
    Agreed, and hope so.. Best to keep positive and look forward to riding new bikes at some point. I'm sorta ok with waiting longer if that happens. Summer can get pretty dry and loose. Now fall, mild winters, and spring.. love it for getting a new bike dialed in.
    Last edited by pkrip; 06-03-2020 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Sounds like you are enjoying your alloy Sentinel. I'm really close to pulling the trigger but am concerned about weight and climbing ability, as well as it being too much bike for my riding skills. I was recently riding a 2017 Process 111 and I felt the slack seat tube angle inhibited it's climbing ability. I also ride a 2018 Chromag Rootdown and I seem to climb better with it however it's not a great comparison as it's a hardtail though it has 27.5 x 2.8 tires but I'm changing it over to 29er shortly.

I have the option of buying a used 2019 Hightower LT from a friend and I know it's been well taken care of. But the 73.7 ST angle is slacker than any bikes I've been considering and even slacker than my Process was. That said, I haven't read one bad review about the LT except one guy seemed to go through his travel and the back tire would hit the seat-post which I found really odd. Regardless, I'm not an aggressive rider and only weigh 160lbs so I don't think this would be an issue for me.

The Ripmo AF is another contender and I read another post where you spoke about the Rimpo and the Sentinel.

How has the paint been on the Sentinel for you? People complain of issues. I don't want to let price be a factor but I can get 2019 Sentinel for a great price and I like the fact that it's new vs. buying a used Hightower LT.

Appreciate any input you have. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Demoed a Ripmo back to back with a sentinel, the same linkage that makes the Ripmo a good climber adds harshness in the descents.IMO... also, read through the ďRipmo afĒ thread both here and pinkbike. The DVO fork is a half pound heavier than the fox and rockshox offerings. Also it seems the DVO forks need a rebuild out of the box..... yea, the fork killed the Ripmo af for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Let's try to get this thread back on track as it is the Sentinel V2 thread. Having said that, has anyone heard if the next shipment of XO build bikes will be spec'd with the 2021 fox suspension?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Sentinel V2 looks killer and I'm stoked to try one out! If anyone's interested in an in-depth suspension analysis and how it compares to a few other modern enduro bikes feel free to check this out and let me know what you think!

https://mtbsr.com/transition-sentinel/

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for that analysis. Now just need to ride it and see if the feel matches your numbers. From what Iíve seen and read the SB 150 is not nearly as progressive which is why cascade has made a link to increase the progressive nature of the frame. From the reviews Iíve read it seems that the sentinel is harder to bottom out than the 150. Also havenít read a review that mentioned pedal kickback yet. Maybe some more detailed reviews will come out once there are more sentinels in the wild.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Love my sentinel however looking for a upgrade or change to the rear shock. I currently have the RS super deluxe ultimate on it and I feel it is harsher than I would like it to be on repeated/fast and hits/bumps when really charging. Iím looking at DVO Jade and Jade X coil options. Iím 240 with gear and ride a XXL for reference. Does anyone have any recommendations for changes to current shock or any time on any DVO coil? Current sag is right at 30% and I only bottom out when hucking to flat. Iíve tried 1 and 2 volume spacers and interesting enough it really doesnít change bottom out for me or any ride feelings. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Love my sentinel however looking for a upgrade or change to the rear shock. I currently have the RS super deluxe ultimate on it and I feel it is harsher than I would like it to be on repeated/fast and hits/bumps when really charging. Iím looking at DVO Jade and Jade X coil options. Iím 240 with gear and ride a XXL for reference. Does anyone have any recommendations for changes to current shock or any time on any DVO coil? Current sag is right at 30% and I only bottom out when hucking to flat. Iíve tried 1 and 2 volume spacers and interesting enough it really doesnít change bottom out for me or any ride feelings. Thanks!
    How much pressure are you running? Could always send it to a custom tuning shop, likely cheaper than a new shock

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have a GX build on order. Plan is to takeoff the suspension and sell it new and replace with 2021 fox stuff. Contemplating the fox 38 but donít want to mess with the geometry too much. 38 axle to crown is 6.6mm higher than 2020 36.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    PSI is right around 235 which gives me right at 30%. I might try to lower some psi and see.
    Duffman- might want to check if you are over the weight/psi for the X2 if you plan to go that route. The max for the X2 is 300psi and at 240 Iím right at that max with most bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    PSI is right around 235 which gives me right at 30%. I might try to lower some psi and see.
    Duffman- might want to check if you are over the weight/psi for the X2 if you plan to go that route. The max for the X2 is 300psi and at 240 Iím right at that max with most bikes.
    Thanks for looking out. But Iím just over 6í and 183-ish so X2 should be fine. The wait is gonna be brutal though. Luckily I have loaner bike to ride in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thoughts on how this compares this to your Megatower? much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Yea Iíd try lowering PSI to ~33-35% sag and see how that works

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    On the current Sentinel, 30% sag at the shock would be on the higher end of the recommended range and would equate to more than 30% sag at the rear wheel. That doesn't leave you with much positive travel available for those repeat hits. That amount of sag is not wrong by any means, but I would suggest also trying less sag to see how that feels. You mentioned trying 1 or 2 volume spacers but it didn't sound like you were having issues with bottoming out too easily. If you are considering a coil shock anyway, you should also try 0 volume spacers which should give a more linear and more coil like feel. See what you think of 25% sag with whatever your current volume spacer setting is. Then perhaps try 25% sag without any volume spacers. It is also might be worth playing with a touch faster rebound in case the shock is packing down, but I have no idea where your rebound is set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @Transition Bikes

This is what I thought your Aluminum Sentinel would have looked like- minus the shock mount and fat rear endTransition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-p5pb18872454.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    thoughts on how this compares this to your Megatower? much appreciated!!
    I've been on a Mega for a year and been riding a demo Sentinel for a few days now and I'm ready to sell the Santa Cruz (when they're back in stock).

Sentinel Pros:
    Lighter bike
    Pedals just as well if not better (see above)
    Simpler suspension design. Feels like SC went out of their way to make VPP feel like a good 4 bar.
    Suspension feels way more progressive and thus more playful.
    Easier to setup. The Mega has a high leverage ratio + short shock (57mm) so you're running high pressures and constantly balancing support without feeling too harsh.
    No perceivable downsides from the slacker HTA

Sentinel cons:
    Doesn't have the fit and finish of a SC. Paint quality is questionable and the rear shock is making a clunking noise (although one review mentioned this was a RS issue).
    Lacks some of the versitility of the Mega - Adjustable CS, flip chip and coil option. Although you can argue it doesn't need any of this.
    Progression could add a touch of instability on the ultimate bumpy stuff at high speed. (note I tested with the Rockshox shock).

Bottom line is the Mega is the "M" or racer version of the Hightower, while the Sentinel feels like a Ripmo, Hightower and Switchblade from the FUTURE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    I've been on a Mega for a year and been riding a demo Sentinel for a few days now and I'm ready to sell the Santa Cruz (when they're back in stock).

Sentinel Pros:
    Lighter bike
    Pedals just as well if not better (see above)
    Simpler suspension design. Feels like SC went out of their way to make VPP feel like a good 4 bar.
    Suspension feels way more progressive and thus more playful.
    Easier to setup. The Mega has a high leverage ratio + short shock (57mm) so you're running high pressures and constantly balancing support without feeling too harsh.
    No perceivable downsides from the slacker HTA

Sentinel cons:
    Doesn't have the fit and finish of a SC. Paint quality is questionable and the rear shock is making a clunking noise (although one review mentioned this was a RS issue).
    Lacks some of the versitility of the Mega - Adjustable CS, flip chip and coil option. Although you can argue it doesn't need any of this.
    Progression could add a touch of instability on the ultimate bumpy stuff at high speed. (note I tested with the Rockshox shock).

Bottom line is the Mega is the "M" or racer version of the Hightower, while the Sentinel feels like a Ripmo, Hightower and Switchblade from the FUTURE.
    This makes me excited to get mine. Sounds like exactly what Iím looking for

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Shop got it built up yesterday, and I set it up last night with renthal bars, spec eliminator rear tire, and added AMS full frame protection. Maiden voyage will hopefully be today after work

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in on my XXL V2 NX build yesterday. Coming from a 2019 XXL capra 29 AL. Both bikes are around the same weight (~33.5 lbs with pedals+tubeless).

The sentinel flat out rips. Was probably 1-2 min faster than my best (when i was in the best shape) on the fireroad climb at my local spot, and I haven't ridden for a week and a half. That, and I'm on the standard EXO+ assegai/dhr2 compared to trail tires on my capra, so probably even faster if the tires were equivalent. Downhill was way more playful than the capra, while being almost as planted in the chunk. Get up and go was crazy, felt way more snappy than any bike i've ridden (could be that this is my first carbon bike).

Also noticeable was how much smoother the shifting was. Capra was XT + e13 cassette, the NX drivetrain blew me away with how quiet it was. Although I do miss my oval ring, can definitely feel the dead spot with a round ring up front.

Overall couldn't be happier, and excited to get some more rides on it.

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any more rides on it socalrider? Website is showing pre-order now instead of out of stock. Also hearing the next shipment of bikes should be available end of July...

mtbr member
    Any more rides on it socalrider? Website is showing pre-order now instead of out of stock. Also hearing the next shipment of bikes should be available end of July...
    Yep lots more riding time on it. I have 0 complaints. Still messing with shock pressure to find the sweet spot

I came from a capra 29 with better components in every major department (36 grip2/float x2, XT drivetrain, code RS brakes) and I donít feel them being noticeably worse. Climbing and descending times are faster on the sentinel. Feels much more balanced up/down instead of heavily skewed towards down with the Capra

Very happy with my choice

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    No alloy frame, no care... have a buddy looking for a new ride and I had him look at a Norco sight a2.... very disappointed in transition walking away from lower price points.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No alloy frame, no care... have a buddy looking for a new ride and I had him look at a Norco sight a2.... very disappointed in transition walking away from lower price points.
    Thanks for your contribution to the thread 🤣

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I don't think Transition have said that they will not release an alloy version. Last time they released the alloy first with no indication that a carbon was coming.....

mtbr member
    I have been riding mine with a 140mm coil. This bike rips with both air and coil but with the coil it makes quick work of rocks and roots.

Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-img_7885.jpg

mtbr member
    I have been riding mine with a 140mm coil. This bike rips with both air and coil but with the coil it makes quick work of rocks and roots.

Name:	IMG_7885.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	481.2 KB 
ID:	1345609
    Why 140mm over the standard 150mm? I will try a coil at some point

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Does anyone else have any more pics of their bikes? Im trying to pick a color lol. can figure out gold or gray. if i go gold im thinking darkish green accents and if i go gray go with purple or blue accents. Any one have anything like that!?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Mortsnarb View Post
    Does anyone else have any more pics of their bikes? Im trying to pick a color lol. can figure out gold or gray. if i go gold im thinking darkish green accents and if i go gray go with purple or blue accents. Any one have anything like that!?
    Iíve got grey with teal accents! I think gold with blue accents would be killer as well

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Name:	IMG_7885.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	481.2 KB 
ID:	1345609
    Nicely done!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíve got grey with teal accents! I think gold with blue accents would be killer as well

Ohhh that looks nice! my GF says gold and blue dont go together lol!! I ended up ordering the Loam gold so we will see how it goes!!

mtbr member
    Ohhh that looks nice! my GF says gold and blue dont go together lol!! I ended up ordering the Loam gold so we will see how it goes!!
    Someone needs to tell the Golden State Warriors their jerseys donít go together then hahaha.

I think the gold with some dark grey would look good too

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    lol that is very true!! I'm a big hockey guy and just remembered the LA Kings classic jerseys are gold and purple!

So i just ordered a size Large GX Build in loam gold! im pumped but wont be here till 1st or 2nd week of August

mtbr member
    lol that is very true!! I'm a big hockey guy and just remembered the LA Kings classic jerseys are gold and purple!

So i just ordered a size Large GX Build in loam gold! im pumped but wont be here till 1st or 2nd week of August
    Thatís about how long I waited for mine. Itís a killer bike Iím sure youíll love it

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

Paste eater
    Anyone put a 38 or Zebb on a v2 yet? Would this make an already slack bike too slack?

mtbr member
    Oh, I'm positive blue and gold go great together!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-blue-angels.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Anyone put a 38 or Zebb on a v2 yet? Would this make an already slack bike too slack?
    Unless the axle to crown is much longer on the 38/zeb, you can get them in a 160mm which isnít any different than a 36/lyrik

Thereís a bike shop down here in SoCal (the path) where one of the employees (or friend of employee, not sure) rides one with a 170mm 38 and he seemed to like it from the podcast that I listened to where he talked about it.

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Iím thinking about putting a zeb on mine. Itís 5mm longer AtoC then the lyrik. So youíre looking at a 63.3į HA. And a minor bump in BB height. This will affect the L and XL bikes less because of their longer wheelbase. 170 and zeb/38 you are looking at around a 63 HA. Could always drop in an angleset to get back to the original HA

mtbr member

Unless the axle to crown is much longer on the 38/zeb, you can get them in a 160mm which isnít any different than a 36/lyrik

Thereís a bike shop down here in SoCal (the path) where one of the employees (or friend of employee, not sure) rides one with a 170mm 38 and he seemed to like it from the podcast that I listened to where he talked about it.

A 160mm 38 has a 6.6mm increase in axle to crown compared to a 2020 160mm 36. That is a noticeable difference, but shouldnít be a deal breaker. Just drop the bars a spacer, or add 5 to 10mm to the stem to get some more weight over the slack front end if you are finding it a problem.

Paste eater
    I was more curious about a 170 zeb/38 :P. Sounds like it's like probs fine but might be pushing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone hear any news about the ETA of new sentinels? Seemed like we were getting close last week as some sizes had ship dates on their website. Now theyíve all gone back to pre-order status. Ugh...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Was wondering the same thing actually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I messaged them within the past 2 weeks. For the scouts, they said end of July / early August. For Sentinels, they said August. Talked to two different people, so not 100% sure if its the same timeline for the two bikes.

FWIW, I did put my pre-order in. You don't get charged until they ship to you. So more so holding your place in line

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah i ordered mine thru a bike shop and was told 1st or 2nd week of August.

I am picking up a demo today so hopefully i like what i ordered!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Let me know your thoughts! I haven't demo'd yet either!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On Monday, so five days ago, I wrote the [email protected] email account inquiring about timeframe on the sentinel preorder. David from transition wrote me back a little later and said ďHey Chris, It looks like October at the moment.Ē

I had specified in my email that I was looking for a size large frame in either color. Not sure if the August timeline some of you have heard is for completes, or if that batch is now all accounted for and the October batch is the next one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    On Monday, so five days ago, I wrote the [email protected] email account inquiring about timeframe on the sentinel preorder. David from transition wrote me back a little later and said ďHey Chris, It looks like October at the moment.Ē

I had specified in my email that I was looking for a size large frame in either color. Not sure if the August timeline some of you have heard is for completes, or if that batch is now all accounted for and the October batch is the next one.
    Wow, hopefully that is because the ones that were ordered 3-4 weeks or so ago are accounted for. When I emailed transition I was told end of early August. When I placed my order around the same time the transition rep said late July. Sold my ransom and have been on a borrowed bike since. October will not work for me, that would be a shame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wow, hopefully that is because the ones that were ordered 3-4 weeks or so ago are accounted for. When I emailed transition I was told end of early August. When I placed my order around the same time the transition rep said late July. Sold my ransom and have been on a borrowed bike since. October will not work for me, that would be a shame.
    Just a heads up for everyone regarding pre-orders and ETA stuff.

Availability dates vary by size/color/build with certain options being available sooner than others. We have been seeing huge demand lately and some items are sold out from the next delivery or more. So you might be quoted an estimate of "early August" but if you don't actually place a pre-order for the item, that might turn in to September or October as we take additional orders. Our dates are estimates only, and things can change. But generally if you have been given an ETA estimate that is only a few weeks away (IE right now that would be early August) that is much more accurate (or precise? or dependable?) than an estimate that is months away.

If you place an order directly with us, feel free to contact us to check on your order and get an estimate of when it will be available. You are also welcome to check back as time goes on. If you have placed your order with a dealer, you would need to check with the shop for updates about your order. We can't provide any ETA estimates for orders placed through resellers... but they should be able to help you with that info.

We are working on some updates to provide more detailed information about pre-orders and increased ability for customers to check in and manage their own orders, payment, shipping, etc. Our goal is give customers as much information as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Just a heads up for everyone regarding pre-orders and ETA stuff.

Availability dates vary by size/color/build with certain options being available sooner than others. We have been seeing huge demand lately and some items are sold out from the next delivery or more. So you might be quoted an estimate of "early August" but if you don't actually place a pre-order for the item, that might turn in to September or October as we take additional orders. Our dates are estimates only, and things can change. But generally if you have been given an ETA estimate that is only a few weeks away (IE right now that would be early August) that is much more accurate (or precise? or dependable?) than an estimate that is months away.

If you place an order directly with us, feel free to contact us to check on your order and get an estimate of when it will be available. You are also welcome to check back as time goes on. If you have placed your order with a dealer, you would need to check with the shop for updates about your order. We can't provide any ETA estimates for orders placed through resellers... but they should be able to help you with that info.

We are working on some updates to provide more detailed information about pre-orders and increased ability for customers to check in and manage their own orders, payment, shipping, etc. Our goal is give customers as much information as possible.
    Thanks for the info guys. My shopís rep told me late July when I placed my order on June 8th so Iíll be crossing my fingers!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. My shopís rep told me late July when I placed my order on June 8th so Iíll be crossing my fingers!!!
    Feel free to check in with them for updates at any time. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Have about 100 miles on mine now. Love this bike. It serves me well as my one bike quiver. Sure it could be a tad more fun on the flats, but compared to my capra that I was riding itís a night and day difference. I stay away from flat sections if I can help it anyway

Heading up to mammoth bike park at the end of the month, will see how it does with some lift assisted trails

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So after Demo'ing the bike id say its sweet! I demo'd the GX Build

My current bike is a Guerrilla Gravity Trail PistolA -

Bike does not pedal as well as the Pistola lol but its not bad. Seated pedaling is good. Stand up pedaling is kinda atrocious (compared to current bike).

The loam gold looks better in person then i thought it would.

Bike rips down hill, Cornering felt good. Tight switchbacks were a little tough (go figure with the wheel base). Jumps were good. I really enjoyed the down hills on it.

So after riding it this weekend id say its a great bike!!

Component wise id say everything was great on the bike except the seat and grips. Which is personal.

Shock did have that "knocking" noise that is mentioned in the reviews so hopefully mine will not come that way.

Also planning on putting a MegNeg on it when i get it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Why skimp with chainstay protection? I am riding the V1 and the supplied protection works great, not so with the V2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    According to some other conversations, only super progressive bikes wouldnít benefit from a larger negative chamber. No personal experience with it, but Iíd say itís a great candidate, especially for how cheap it is.
    Any body have any more input on this? i emailed transition and the guy there suggested it wouldn't be needed due to the leverage curve.

mtbr member
    Any body have any more input on this? i emailed transition and the guy there suggested it wouldn't be needed due to the leverage curve.
    I donít see the need for a megneg on mine. Iím fairly large at 240lbs and I donít see a need for more mid stroke support

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    if you are really lightweight the megneg could have a benefit for the initial stroke. But the reason itís not needed on the V2 is the initial leverage ratio is high which allows nice small bump sensitivity. As it goes through the travel the leverage ratio becomes less which means more force is required to compress the suspension (aka progressive suspension curve). The megneg gives you a larger neg air chamber to make the initial stroke more sensitive. You can also tune the neg chamber by adding rubber bands to reduce the size of it as well and make it less sensitive. But adding a much larger neg chamber on this bike could have you riding lower in the stroke and sitting more in the mid stroke.

mtbr member
    Demoed a Ripmo back to back with a sentinel, the same linkage that makes the Ripmo a good climber adds harshness in the descents.IMO... also, read through the ďRipmo afĒ thread both here and pinkbike. The DVO fork is a half pound heavier than the fox and rockshox offerings. Also it seems the DVO forks need a rebuild out of the box..... yea, the fork killed the Ripmo af for me.
    Was it the Sentinel V2 that you demoed, or the previous model? Wondering how the suspension felt in comparison to the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Any tall guys ride both xl and xxl sizes? I'm 6'4" currently riding an xl YT jeffsy 27.5 with 480mm reach which feels a tad small. Still I'm hesitant to go for the xxl with 521mm reach because its such a drastic change and I don't want to have a bike that feels too long overall.

I'm used to riding bikes a tad on the small side as I like to whip them around and keep them playful. Also when I demoed a xxl hightower (505mm reach) it felt so huge.

Any input is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    kind of a long shot, but i'm trying to find a large frame somewhere in socal (or able to be shipped) -- anyone have a local shop with one sitting around?

e: read up a bit and i'm not alone. seems pretty hopeless out there

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ya, good luck on finding frame only. Especially a large. Looks like XL loam gold are actually in stock according to their website. Everything else they are shipping out as soon as they get to fill pre orders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Was it the Sentinel V2 that you demoed, or the previous model? Wondering how the suspension felt in comparison to the Ripmo.
    V1, the Ripmo is a long travel trail bike you can take on a enduro race.... the sentinel is an enduro bike you can trail ride..... I was shopping alloy bikes so I was looking at the Ripmo af. Definitely not as plush on rocky trails IMO.

mtbr member
    V1, the Ripmo is a long travel trail bike you can take on a enduro race.... the sentinel is an enduro bike you can trail ride..... I was shopping alloy bikes so I was looking at the Ripmo af. Definitely not as plush on rocky trails IMO.
    Appreciate your reply! I'm hoping the V2 comes out in alloy, but won't hold my breath. What rig did you end up with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Appreciate your reply! I'm hoping the V2 comes out in alloy, but won't hold my breath. What rig did you end up with?
    I got the gx v1 alloy...also added the cascade link and a 170mm air shaft to raze the bb..... btw, the sentinel bb is low, the Ripmo bb is lower. I ride in north NJ, itís where the ice age dropped all the rocks. Low bbís are not a good thing here. Adding a 10mm air shaft completely fixed the low bb problem on the sentinel for me. The Ripmo would need more the 10mm imo.

Single Track Addict
    For those of you who have their Sentinel, any comment on whether it would be feasible to install 175mm cranks? I may be jumping the gun, but I've been riding 175's for 25 years, and that's the only major spec point that I might be inclined to change when I get my Sentinel.
    The Sentinel has the same BB height as my last two bikes, so I'm thinking it would be ok?

Thanks.
    Will ride singletrack for food...

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FJDan View Post
    Any tall guys ride both xl and xxl sizes? I'm 6'4" currently riding an xl YT jeffsy 27.5 with 480mm reach which feels a tad small. Still I'm hesitant to go for the xxl with 521mm reach because its such a drastic change and I don't want to have a bike that feels too long overall.

I'm used to riding bikes a tad on the small side as I like to whip them around and keep them playful. Also when I demoed a xxl hightower (505mm reach) it felt so huge.

Any input is much appreciated!
    I was stressed about this too. I ended up ordering an XL Sentinel based on Wheelbase/ Reach, even though I'm losing 0.75" of top tube length.
    I hope I made the correct choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    I was stressed about this too. I ended up ordering an XL Sentinel based on Wheelbase/ Reach, even though I'm losing 0.75" of top tube length.
    I hope I made the correct choice.
    When do you expect your bike to arrive? I'd really appreciate any feedback you have when you get it. Also, how tall are you?

I'm leaning more and more towards XXL. I think i've gotten used to riding bikes that are too small for me my whole life and I think I need to bite the bullet and ride something that fits.

Anyone with an XXL that can comment on in-air "whipability" and quick ground manuevering?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    When do you expect your bike to arrive? I'd really appreciate any feedback you have when you get it. Also, how tall are you?

I'm leaning more and more towards XXL. I think i've gotten used to riding bikes that are too small for me my whole life and I think I need to bite the bullet and ride something that fits.

Anyone with an XXL that can comment on in-air "whipability" and quick ground manuevering?
    I would email Transition, give them an honest idea of how your ride and what your trails are like and they will steer you in the right direction. The XL is a pretty big bike with a long wheelbase. I have a feeling they would recommend the XL for you.

Single Track Addict
    Hey Dan,

I'm 6 foot 3"+, 245#, 35" inseam, and long arms.
    I'm coming off an XL Pivot Trail 429 with 485mm reach, 1220mm wheelbase, and a 660mm-ish effective top tube.

I chose and ordered the XL Sentinel after a LOT of mental gymnastics.
    I expect it next week sometime.

I have an email out to Transition, but I haven't heard from them yet.

My concerns stem from the following-
    The XL Sentinel has 501mm reach, and a 1292mm wheelbase; both longer than my Pivot (and the Yeti before that), but I'm giving up ~20mm of top tube over the XXL Sentinel.

The XXL is 40mm more reach than my Pivot, and 100mm+ wheelbase.
    Top tube is the same as both the Pivot and my previous bike.

I'm in the Northeast of the USA (Eastern PA/ NE NJ), and a lot of our trails are techy/ tighter so I don't want the additional 100mm+ of wheelbase that comes with the XXL, BUT I'm concerned I'm going to be short on the XL.

They seem rather keen on keeping the 40mm stem they spec, or I'd just toss a 50mm on there. I know it's entirely possible to do so, but apparently the bikes explode when you do that... Super Bomb Geometry? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. LOL

Hopefully, Transition replies soon and I can calm down. LOL

EDIT- two hours after I posted this, I received a reply:
    Chris,

I think you made the right choice, I think the XXL would be a bit long.

Cheers,
    David
    TRANSITION BICYCLE COMPANY

mtbr member
    Iím 6í7 on an XXL, might be a tad bit for people 6í4 and under.

I put a 50mm stem on mine to get a bit more reach and height out of it, no issues

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    For those of you who have their Sentinel, any comment on whether it would be feasible to install 175mm cranks? I may be jumping the gun, but I've been riding 175's for 25 years, and that's the only major spec point that I might be inclined to change when I get my Sentinel.
    The Sentinel has the same BB height as my last two bikes, so I'm thinking it would be ok?

Thanks.
    Had the same reservations when I got my SBG Smuggler a couple of years ago. But 170s are a non issue, for what that's worth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hi! Newbie here

I am thinking about Sentinel V2 , I am 6'2 and looking for XL.

Here where I live we have a lot of tech trails with tight corners, switchbacks, flow trail means less corners and a bit straight line. Lot of roots and rocks coming off the ground where You can pump speed... Personally I do not like typical flat flow trail.
    I like to climb and make some long distance trips from trail to trail. I am not searching for bikepark machine but meaby something enduroishh allraounder.
    My friends ride Capra, Hightower, Nomad, Slash so nothing like Spec Enduro (super enduro type of bike) and I also think thah it might be overkill because all in all trails aren't DH type, I am also not fan of table jumps etc.
    Question for users - will this bike fit ?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    At 6í2 you could go either way. Iím just over 6í tall so a large for me was a no brainer. Hereís a video that Jeff Brines made talking about the V1 sentinel but sizing wise it still applies. He is a former pro and still races from time to time. Reviews for Vital and knows what heís talking about. He had both the L and XL and he preferred the L. V2 sentinel is longer than the original as well.

https://youtu.be/eNFNPHRgz2c

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thx for advice, what about type of trails for this bike? Is it more trail or I can do enduro stuff also ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Itís an enduro bike that you could also trail ride with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If anyone is looking for a Large Grey GX build, send me a PM. Shop in socal just sent me an email that they had a cancellation and have one available in the next couple of weeks. First come, first served!

mtbr member
    Bit of a long shot I realize, but if anyone knows of a size medium grey 2021 Sentinel in any build please PM me. The wife has decided this is her next ride, so who am I to stand in her way?

mtbr member
    Same boat as DrewBird. Looking for a medium gx in the gold. DM if you know of one. Much thanks!
    2020 Revel Rascal
    2019 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2019 Canyon Ultimate

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    has anyone had a stock v1 and moved parts to v2? iím thinking going that route and worried some parts may not be useable.

like the fork due to steerer lenght.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Does anyone know how close the grey Zeb matches the color of a grey sentinel?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by markus grey View Post
    Hi! Newbie here

I am thinking about Sentinel V2 , I am 6'2 and looking for XL.

Here where I live we have a lot of tech trails with tight corners, switchbacks, flow trail means less corners and a bit straight line. Lot of roots and rocks coming off the ground where You can pump speed... Personally I do not like typical flat flow trail.
    I like to climb and make some long distance trips from trail to trail. I am not searching for bikepark machine but meaby something enduroishh allraounder.
    My friends ride Capra, Hightower, Nomad, Slash so nothing like Spec Enduro (super enduro type of bike) and I also think thah it might be overkill because all in all trails aren't DH type, I am also not fan of table jumps etc.
    Question for users - will this bike fit ?

Cheers!
    I am 6'2 and ride a XL V1. Does feel great for me and my trails which seems similar to yours. Large feels to small for me but I am not much of a jumper. It is not exactly nimble but it is very stable so I can normally follow my friends on smaller bikes on tight corners and slow techy moves. I plan to upgrade to an XL V2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Peeps on GX builds, what are you pressure and setup settings. Coming from a V1 Fox equipped bike, want to see what others are running on V2 R/S

Here's my baseline from day 1 ride, Never used full travel, the test loop I rode didn't have any large drops or G-outs

185-188 lbs ready to ride

Lyrik- Rides ok, nice and high in the travel- feels muted vs F36 G2
    89 psi
    1 token
    Rebound 5 from fully open
    2 click HSC from full open
    5 click LSC from fully open.

SD Shock- Rides ok, lots of platform- missing that bottomless feel? way less ramp than DPX2
    PSI - Unknown
    1 token
    Sag 22%
    Rebound 4 from fully open
    3-4 clicks LSC from fully open

NBD pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-p5pb19203897.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I did my first ride on my GX Large.. i only need 75PSI in the fork? seems pretty low.. geared up im around 195lbs.. during the ride i didnt even bottom it out lol probably had 10mm of travel left and did a few good drops/huck to flats

mtbr member
    V2 NX build, weigh about 240 ready to ride.

Fork -
    115 psi
    2 tokens
    7 clicks out from slow on rebound
    no fancy compression adjusters on the lyrik select

Shock -
    Unknown psi, 25% sag
    Full open all the time (just has a climb switch)
    Rebound 5 clicks from slow

Iíve tested the fork at 100 psi (25-27%), 105, 110, and now finally settled on 115. It seems counter intuitive, but at the lower pressures it was more harsh because it sat too low in the travel, and was divey under heavy braking. 115psi gives me way less sag (havenít measured) but better support and doesnít dive.

Rebound I started in the middle and adjusted from there, landed on 7 clicks. The RockShox trailhead website tells me for my weight psi should be 117 and rebound 7 clicks out. So through my own testing I ended up at RS recommendation

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Peeps on GX builds, what are you pressure and setup settings. Coming from a V1 Fox equipped bike, want to see what others are running on V2 R/S

Here's my baseline from day 1 ride, Never used full travel, the test loop I rode didn't have any large drops or G-outs

185-188 lbs ready to ride

Lyrik- Rides ok, nice and high in the travel- feels muted vs F36 G2
    89 psi
    1 token
    Rebound 5 from fully open
    2 click HSC from full open
    5 click LSC from fully open.

SD Shock- Rides ok, lots of platform- missing that bottomless feel? way less ramp than DPX2
    PSI - Unknown
    1 token
    Sag 22%
    Rebound 4 from fully open
    3-4 clicks LSC from fully open

NBD pic

We are pretty close in weight. Rode saturday and sunday on my new sentinel. Try lowering your pressure 5psi and running no HSC. I started on the same settings as you and the lyrik felt a little harsh. Lowered the air to 85psi and 0 HSC and it felt really good.

Single Track Addict
    Well, after a bunch of Drawma with FedEx, I finally received my bike.

A few thoughts: (Some of you might have seen this post on the TOSS facebook page)

Initial Impressions:
    Context: I worked as a bike shop mechanic for a while- I was shocked at how near completely assembled the bike was. RTR in less than 20 minutes.
    Fork and shock are Kashima, instead of the black stanchions shown in the website specs/photos. (This is the XO build)
    I think the DT hubs came with the 54 Tooth driver. Sweet!
    I'd heard the paint chipped easily, and damned if those rumors weren't true. Already have two small chips from a dropped grip during install. Disappointing. Ordered an AMS protective kit.

First Ride Report:
    I PR'd a long smooth climb without trying. It's possible that my shock pump is to blame- I'm really not sure what pressure I'm running and the shock has no o-ring to indicate sag, so until I have a helper I'm just winging it.
    In any case, my concern about it bobbing under load seems to be unfounded.
    My ride includes a really janky climb on a washed-out fire road, filled with loose angular stones/baby heads. I didn't clean it, but I never have. I was surprised at how many crank strikes I had, but I'm going to mark it up to not knowing the new wheelbase. (Very glad I installed the AMS crank boots!)
    Once up the climb, the next mile or so is grassy fire road with less than 100' of elevation change. It was here the one semi-significant issue came to my attention- there is a creak.
    I had gone over the bike when I built it, but there was still a creak. I THINK it's the seatpost/ seatpost clamp/ seat tube interface.
    I'll be cleaning, applying friction paste and reassembling later.
    I'm slightly disappointed with the OEM seat post clamp- it's really short; I may swap it for something more robust.
    The rest of the ride was a half-mile of east coast single track; narrow, tight, rocky, etc... handled that without issue. Came back the same grassy fire road, and then dropped the rocky fire road back to my neighborhood.
    No issues on the descent, and I expect my opinion will improve with further suspension tuning.
    Pretty stoked. Will report after further rides.

Transition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-20200813_133614.jpgTransition Sentinel v 2.0 Thread-20200813_144234.jpg

Single Track Addict
    Double post. How do I delete?
    Last edited by bulletboy; 08-13-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Double post.

mtbr member

A few thoughts: (Some of you might have seen this post on the TOSS facebook page)

Initial Impressions:
    Context: I worked as a bike shop mechanic for a while- I was shocked at how near completely assembled the bike was. RTR in less than 20 minutes.
    Fork and shock are Kashima, instead of the black stanchions shown in the website specs/photos. (This is the XO build)
    I'd heard the paint chipped easily, and damned if those rumors weren't true. Already have two small chips from a dropped grip during install. Disappointing. Ordered an AMS protective kit.

First Ride Report:
    I PR'd a long smooth climb without trying. It's possible that my shock pump is to blame- I'm really not sure what pressure I'm running and the shock has no o-ring to indicate sag, so until I have a helper I'm just winging it.
    My ride includes a really janky climb on a washed-out fire road, filled with loose angular stones/baby heads. I didn't clean it, but I never have. I was surprised at how many crank strikes I had, but I'm going to mark it up to not knowing the new wheelbase. (Very glad I installed the AMS crank boots!)
    Once up the climb, the next mile or so is grassy fire road with less than 100' of elevation change. It was here the one semi-significant issue came to my attention- there is a creak.
    I had gone over the bike when I built it, but there was still a creak. I THINK it's the seatpost/ seatpost clamp/ seat tube interface.
    I'm slightly disappointed with the OEM seat post clamp- it's really short; I may swap it for something more robust.
    The rest of the ride was a half-mile of east coast single track; narrow, tight, rocky, etc... handled that without issue. Came back the same grassy fire road, and then dropped the rocky fire road back to my neighborhood.
    No issues on the descent, and I expect my opinion will improve with further suspension tuning.

Name:	20200813_133614.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	1356717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200813_144234.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	1356719
    Awesome to hear you're diggin the first ride. The loam gold color is really growing on me. I'm curious what your initial thoughts are on fit? Do you feel like you could've gone longer to the XXL? Does the bike feel "smaller" than its wheelbase suggests?

Single Track Addict
    Awesome to hear you're diggin the first ride. The loam gold color is really growing on me. I'm curious what your initial thoughts are on fit? Do you feel like you could've gone longer to the XXL? Does the bike feel "smaller" than its wheelbase suggests?
    Hey Dan,

The color is difficult to capture accurately; it's definitely gold, but it also has a subtle tan/ brown to it, reminiscent of the Toyota Tacoma "tan" color. It's not a shiny finish- more flat/ slightly semigloss? Anyway, I like it.

As to fit, I'm reasonably satisfied with the sizing. I don't feel cramped; I was concerned about losing ~20mm effective top tube (ETT) over my previous bikes. I probably could have gone to the XXL, but I definitely would have been more stretched out- probably not for the better, and the wheelbase (WB) would have been over 100mm longer than what I was riding. That's just too much in my opinion.

As it is, the XL WB is ~80mm longer than my last two bikes, and the Head Tube Angle (HTA) is a LOT slacker. The HTA is definitely noticeable at slower speeds (wheel flop) but it's not awful. Once you're moving it disappears.
    I like to tinker, so there's a chance I might steepen the HTA 0.5į/1.0į just for curiosity's sake. But that's not a priority for now. (Would be curious to see how the steeper HTA would change ETT / WB length.)

I'll be riding it at my "usual" (and tighter) trails later today so I will report back about my feelings on WB then.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey Dan,

The color is difficult to capture accurately; it's definitely gold, but it also has a subtle tan/ brown to it, reminiscent of the Toyota Tacoma "tan" color. It's not a shiny finish- more flat/ slightly semigloss? Anyway, I like it.

As to fit, I'm reasonably satisfied with the sizing. I don't feel cramped; I was concerned about losing ~20mm effective top tube (ETT) over my previous bikes. I probably could have gone to the XXL, but I definitely would have been more stretched out- probably not for the better, and the wheelbase (WB) would have been over 100mm longer than what I was riding. That's just too much in my opinion.

As it is, the XL WB is ~80mm longer than my last two bikes, and the Head Tube Angle (HTA) is a LOT slacker. The HTA is definitely noticeable at slower speeds (wheel flop) but it's not awful. Once you're moving it disappears.
    I like to tinker, so there's a chance I might steepen the HTA 0.5į/1.0į just for curiosity's sake. But that's not a priority for now. (Would be curious to see how the steeper HTA would change ETT / WB length.)

I'll be riding it at my "usual" (and tighter) trails later today so I will report back about my feelings on WB then.

Cheers,

Chris
    My only regret was not getting the loam gold color.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got the loam gold and it is a little different then what it thought it would be lol. Depending on the lighting i agree with the toyota desert tan color reference.. in my mind its more tan then gold..

Non the less i really like it!!

mtbr member
    I've seen several loam gold bikes out here and not a single one makes me think of that Toyota tan in any way. Weird how we all perceive colors so differently.

I think it's a great color, though!

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I've seen several loam gold bikes out here and not a single one makes me think of that Toyota tan in any way. Weird how we all perceive colors so differently.

I think it's a great color, though!
    I wonder too whether there are any subtle variations in color from batch to batch?

mtbr member
    That's possible. Though the ones I've seen are all the same to my eye.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Initial Impressions:

First Ride Report:

Name:	20200813_133614.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	1356717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200813_144234.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	1356719
    Sorry if I missed this, but did you order directly from Transitionís website and it came with the Factory/Kashima X2 and 36? Iím just wondering if this is a spec change moving forward. Bike looks sweet for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ngarcia1110 View Post
    Sorry if I missed this, but did you order directly from Transitionís website and it came with the Factory/Kashima X2 and 36? Iím just wondering if this is a spec change moving forward. Bike looks sweet for sure.

Yes it's a rolling spec change. Fox builds now come with factory level suspension front and rear along with extended range eagle drivetrains on x01 and GX

gbc
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes it's a rolling spec change. Fox builds now come with factory level suspension front and rear along with extended range eagle drivetrains on x01 and GX

Do you know if you buy frame only, it also comes with the 2021 factory X2 kashima? That would make the long wait feel a bit sweeter, I guess?!

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ngarcia1110 View Post

I did, and while I don't have specific confirmation of the running change that the other poster references, it does seem to be the case that the fox factory coatings will be supplied.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    In addition to the extended range cassette, the GX builds come with C3 Lyrik and Updated SD ulitmates

Loving the ride so far- Hands down a better riding bike than the V1

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    In addition to the extended range cassette, the GX builds come with C3 Lyrik and Updated SD ulitmates

Loving the ride so far- Hands down a better riding bike than the V1
    Indeed it feels like it has the new air spring better or worse. I was a bit bummed the fork was matte finish and not gloss like the loam gold bike I demod a few months ago

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Indeed it feels like it has the new air spring better or worse. I was a bit bummed the fork was matte finish and not gloss like the loam gold bike I demod a few months ago

According to the Rockshox trailhead app, mine is a C3, is that the same as 2021 / latest updates? I'm not familiar with all their codes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Me to on the Matte finish, I was kinda bummed as well, but the nice thing is Matte on Matte looks good still

gbc
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Got an email from the good people at Transition saying that the future batches of frames with Fox suspension will have the Factory Kashima versions and that the website will be updated soon to reflect that change. Awesome...(and fair given the price of a frame alone!?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Can someone measure the static BB height of their new sentinel? I'm curious how it compares to previous gen, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Current ETA on most sizes of sentinel frames is December now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That's crazy!!! You can still find them around though. My buddy started callin around to all the dealers on their website and ended up finding just what he wanted 2 hours away.

mtbr member
    Still looking for a GX GOLD Medium that is able to ship. No dealer around me. Keep a look out please and DM me if you find anything
    2020 Revel Rascal
    2019 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2019 Canyon Ultimate

gbc
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by B3nnyH View Post
    Current ETA on most sizes of sentinel frames is December now.
    Is that worldwide or any particular country? Where did you get this info? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gbc View Post
    Is that worldwide or any particular country? Where did you get this info? Thanks in advance
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bike...41535725ECAEAC

They wait times directly on their website. For me the wait was pretty accurate. When I ordered in June, website said mid August and I received it first week of August.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Transition told me April for a large in Ti. That was for a complete X01.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So first carbon frame bike- what are you guys running for downtube protection?

Feel like I need something there

gbc
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So first carbon frame bike- what are you guys running for downtube protection?

Feel like I need something there
    When I get mine, I will put Invisiframe kit followed by some Rockguardz carbon protector.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gbc View Post
    When I get mine, I will put Invisiframe kit followed by some Rockguardz carbon protector.
    Nice- Do they make one for the new bike? didnt see it on their site

gbc
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice- Do they make one for the new bike? didnt see it on their site
    not yet...as soon as I get mine I will sort that out since I know them...(if by then they don't have it already)...just trying to decide which way is best to have it...
    1- a full guard on top and covering the rubber one that comes with the frame
    2- a guard with a hole where the rubber guard is
    3- remove the rubber guard from the frame, have a full guard and then re-glue the rubber guard on the new carbon one

mtbr member
    Iím running AMS protection on my down tube. No issues so far

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Looking for advice on sizing.

I'm 5'10" so I sit right between M and L, and currently ride a Yeti SB5.5 L with a 33mm stem, and I really like how it rides (it took me a while to manual it however)

I'm now looking at buying the new Sentinel frame and swap my parts over (pretty much everything but the dropper) but I'm really unsure on sizing.

Looking at reach (8mm longer the the SB5.5 L), and after watching Jeff Brines's video, I would tend to go medium, as I'm afraid the large would be too much for most trails I ride (mostly enduro style trails here in Belgium with some trips to the French Alps, so nothing like PNW where this bike was designed).
    However, I'm a bit afraid the -41mm on the top tube is a big drop when pedaling.

This seems to be one of theses bikes where downsizing when in between 2 sizes is a good option.

WDYT?

gbc
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KidPaddle View Post

I'm 5'10" so I sit right between M and L, and currently ride a Yeti SB5.5 L with a 33mm stem, and I really like how it rides (it took me a while to manual it however)

I'm now looking at buying the new Sentinel frame and swap my parts over (pretty much everything but the dropper) but I'm really unsure on sizing.

Looking at reach (8mm longer the the SB5.5 L), and after watching Jeff Brines's video, I would tend to go medium, as I'm afraid the large would be too much for most trails I ride (mostly enduro style trails here in Belgium with some trips to the French Alps, so nothing like PNW where this bike was designed).
    However, I'm a bit afraid the -41mm on the top tube is a big drop when pedaling.

This seems to be one of theses bikes where downsizing when in between 2 sizes is a good option.

WDYT?
    If I were you, I would go L. I'm 6ft myself and after trying the L of a friend (with a 50mm stem) I think I could have probably gone XL...it was just the wheelbase that puts me off. The bike is clearly fast and the L will feel more stable at speed. A shorter stem and the saddle further forward/centrally will help you in many ways too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

WDYT?
    Here's a vote for the Med, I've had a Med scout, a Lg v3 5010 and now a Lg patrol sbg, The patrol is long, the wheelbase is 48mm longer than the 5010, and I notice it a lot, I have trouble cornering it and generally just don't enjoy it as much. Now once it's gets steep and rocky, all that works to your advantage, but around here, that is maybe 10% of my riding, so you have to choose what traits you want to focus on. I'm 5'9" but have a fairly short 30" inseam, I have a 30mm stem on it, so it's as short as you can make it, and it's 475 reach is almost 20mm more than I am used too, I run a 35mm stem on the 5010, and I find that balance to be very good.

Unfortunately the internet can't perfectly answer this question, and it's not likely demos will be available anytime soon, so you might have to just take a risk and pick one and try it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

WDYT?
    Another thing to consider is if you go with a medium, you'll probably end up running the seatpost higher, which will put you a pedalling position that will be slightly further behind the BB. If you go large you'll probably be closer the BB.

In terms of the trails the bike was designed for - If you're riding in the french alps you'll probably be OK with either sized frame. I ride a sentinel in a place that has trails for which the sentinel is probably too much bike most of the time, but I appreciate the added stability for situations where the trail gets steep and rough, and it's nice for when I travel to other areas.

But honestly you should try to demo one before you purchase. The geometry on the sentinel is drastically different than the SB5.5, and so looking at the geo numbers (especially the top tube) probably won't make a ton of sense to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    =================================================
    I apologize in advance for the somewhat stupid question, but I've been trying to read up on the details about headset sizes, and I'm still not sure about which exact model of headset I need.
    ZS44/ZS56 I understand, but when I try to find a specific model, I'm unsure.. could someone tell me if this is correct:

Upper:
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...erteil-p35002/

Lower: (there are 2 models - ZS56/30 and ZS56/40 and I don't understand the difference...
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...erteil-p35010/
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...erteil-p34998/

Any insight would be appreciated.
    ========================================

UPDATE - I got the guidance I needed, so please disregard my post.
    Last edited by snarkbert; 08-28-2020 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Question answered

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkbert View Post
    =================================================
    I apologize in advance for the somewhat stupid question, but I've been trying to read up on the details about headset sizes, and I'm still not sure about which exact model of headset I need.
    ZS44/ZS56 I understand, but when I try to find a specific model, I'm unsure.. could someone tell me if this is correct:

Upper:
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...erteil-p35002/

Lower: (there are 2 models - ZS56/30 and ZS56/40 and I don't understand the difference...
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...erteil-p35010/
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...erteil-p34998/

Any insight would be appreciated.
    ========================================

UPDATE - I got the guidance I needed, so please disregard my post.
    Link to what you ended up going with? Could help someone in the future

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was informed that the upper was correct, and correct dimension for the lower is
    ZS56/40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast