Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    This is another thing about SRAM and that XD driver, the cassettes derailleurs are so expensive compared to Shimano stuff. I realize itís new technology(cost is expensive right now) but I donít need the new tech right now.
    Ahhhhh man the XD was a game changer for me. Love it! Never get a loose cassette, never battle removing a cassette because it's gouged into the standard driver, never had to replace a driver because it's now garbage.

XD is a real buying feature for me. Totally fair if you have no issues with standard driver, to each their own. But for me, there are real tangible benefits.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Ahhhhh man the XD was a game changer for me. Love it! Never get a loose cassette, never battle removing a cassette because it's gouged into the standard driver, never had to replace a driver because it's now garbage.

XD is a real buying feature for me. Totally fair if you have no issues with standard driver, to each their own. But for me, there are real tangible benefits.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I feel the same way. I prefer the XD interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Hope that E13's 9-46 cassette drops in price over coming year, that cassette pretty much cancels the need or usefulness of 12spd options.
    Getting a little OT with all the drivetrain talk, but FWIW I just paid $89NZD for an 11-46t Sunrace cassette. For that price I can live with a little less top speed and a couple of hundred grams weight!

mtbr member
    Also, there's an 11-speed 11-50 cassette available now as another option.
    Last edited by kwapik; 12-02-2017 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Anybody know a shop that has a Large GX build in stock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks like this shop might: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2283016/

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    Looks like this shop might: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2283016/
    Thanks! I ended up getting one from them. I will hopefully have it by next weekend. Let you guys know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sweet! I'd love to hear a ride report.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    Sweet! I'd love to hear a ride report.
    Will do! I've had a Hightower, Smuggler, Primer (over shocked and stock), and Norco Range C9. So I should be able to give some good comparisons for everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I too look forward to a ride report Qtip2 as i am presently comparing the Norco Range C9 and sentinel. How do you like your Range? I hear its a pretty great bike and surprisingly nimble for a 29er of that wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobyland View Post
    I too look forward to a ride report Qtip2 as i am presently comparing the Norco Range C9 and sentinel. How do you like your Range? I hear its a pretty great bike and surprisingly nimble for a 29er of that wheelbase.
    It really was a great bike, I have just been waiting on the Sentinel for a while and needed something in the mean time. Take nothing away from the Range, it was awesome. Climbed well, a little front wheel flop on steep inclines. Going down it was very stable and the rear is so plush and planted. It also is very playful for the wheelbase like you stated. You don't have to be pushing it super hard in order to make it fun on the downhills. My bike was heavy, no carbon other than the frame, but still felt "light".

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Mine in it's current form weighs 34 pounds. That's with maxxis double down tires in front and back. I'll be switching to a single ply tire up front and I have some new wheels on the way that will shave a little bit more weight off as well.

When I threw it on the scale I was a little worried but it's been a non issue. The bike definitely pedals well and for me puts me in an absolute perfect position for climbing (I'm 5'11 and on a L).
    Hey dfinn,

Would you mind giving some feedback on riding the sentinel in the turns? How playful/nimble is it? all things considered....
    What type of terrain are you riding it on? and what was your previous bike for comparison?
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the guys who run the LBS both have new Sents. after a recent ride down a fav local trail with a number of tight, flat S turns that are anything but smooth they said it was the fastest they've ever ridden that trail. they rave on and on about how well it corners at speed. they be magic bikes apparently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any owners who've already been riding their Sentinels feel that it's a bit too slack? 64, wow, wildly slack! any perceived drawbacks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    any owners who've already been riding their Sentinels feel that it's a bit too slack? 64, wow, wildly slack! any perceived drawbacks?
    Not at all. Assuming you're looking to use the bike for it's intended use. (If you're not spending some time on steeper, rougher terrain, something like the smuggler would make more sense.) I know it sounds too good to be true, but the reduced offset fork combined with the steeper seat tube makes a longer, slacker bike descend and climb better than Transition's previous generations.
    Binary ē Transition Bikes ē Demon Dirt ē

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The definition of what is considered slack has changed over the years but for sure 64 is quite slack and requires a different more aggressive way of riding to take full advantage of it.

Some people can adapt to it but some others can't. Personally I don't own a Sentinel but I consider one (or a Patrol or a Nomad 4) and my main concern is also the slack head angle since I have tried some slack bikes and I couldn't really adapt to them. Most probably if I have spent more time then I would have adapted better I guess. As for the longer reach and shorter offset my Mondraker has both and I am really happy with them.

Anyway I guess it comes down to what type of trails we are mainly ride and how much time we want to spend adapting to a new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobyland View Post
    Hey dfinn,

Would you mind giving some feedback on riding the sentinel in the turns? How playful/nimble is it? all things considered....
    What type of terrain are you riding it on? and what was your previous bike for comparison?
    Thanks,
    Sure. It turns just fine, no problems laying it over or snapping it in and out of corners. Given it's length it may not be the quickest bike through slow/tight corners but if the trail has a bunch of those then I'm probably not going to be riding it very often. For what it is, the Sentinel is pretty playful but as others have pointed out, if your trails are not pretty steep and rough then you might want to check out a smuggler. That being said I've taken it on some of my local xc'ish trails and still had tons of fun with it.

The first couple of rides that I took it on it was feeling really stuck to the ground and not super playful but after some suspension tuning (lots of spacers, I'm a heavy guy) it's now feeling really good, lots of pop and pretty easy to get off the ground.

I'm coming off a '17 carbon scout and I generally prefer rowdy trails.

Also, regarding the slack head angle, when I first picked up the bike from the LBS and gave it a parking lot test I was really worried about what I had just bought. I haven't owned a DH bike in a couple of seasons but I think this bike is slacker than my past DH bikes. After a couple of rides I don't even notice the slackness anymore, at least not in a negative way. There's no side to side flip flopping while climbing or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Range 9 and Primer were my favorite 29ers Iíve had in the past couple years. Based off that I will describe the two and than tell you how the Sentinel compared.

Range 9: Range was a decent climber that would just tractor up anything. It was not fast, but I was able to climb every hill I normally would on other bikes. On super steep climbs it did have a little front end wandering and took a little more body english to get around tight corners. Descending it was fantastic, just point the thing down and not worry about anything in its path. Still surprisingly playful when you wanted to be, it was not begging to be popped and playful, but could if you took the extra effort. Rear end was very supple and never felt a bottom out. I live in an area that really allows the Range to shine, but also ride trails were it felt like too much bike.

Primer: The Primer was an amazing climber at 130 in the rear. It felt very nimble going up and I set a lot of PRís when riding this bike on the climbs. On the steeper down hills in my area the bike got overwhelmed and I wished I had more travel. On the more XC trails it was great and begged to be jumped and popped off of every feature. I ended up over shocking it and put a 200 X 57 in the rear. This really helped out on the steep gnarly descents, but also had to worry about rear tire rub.

Sentinel: The best compromise of the two bikes above and better in some regards. The Sentinel puts you in a perfect position for climbing. Itís hard to explain, but it just feels right, SBG is legit. The head angle is deceiving and does not feel that slack on the climbs. No wandering front wheel, climbs great (somewhere between the Primer at 130 and the Range), and no problem getting around tight corners climbing. Where the Sentinel really shines is when pointed down, the thing just wants to be pushed. This bike really is hard for me to put into words, its just plain fun! It is the only aluminum bike Iíve hard where I didnít wish I had carbon. The only bike that has been great to point straight downhill and blow through everything, but still have fun when it is not pushed and feels like the old Scout. If you were a fan of the previous Transition bikes you will fall in love with bike. This is a bike that takes all the best traits of last yearís bikes (Patrol, Scout, and Smuggler) and blends them together perfectly. I am only able to have one bike that I need to be able to do everything and this is the best compromise Iíve found.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^ dude your killing me here....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^ dude your killing me here....
    Haha, likewise, I want my Sentinel now, Anyone have any updates on the second production run yet? I hope it's still on track for January...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    whoever got his Sentinel... can you share some photos?

I am waiting for my "Black Powder" GX level to arrive.
    I've been thinking about upgrading the wheels to WTB Asym i29 on Hope Pro 4 hubs

Thinking to get orange hubs - what do you thinks about the color scheme?
    Black Powder + Orange Hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Transition Sentinel-img_1687.jpg

Not a great picture or the color scheme your looking for but I like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts View Post
    The NX cuts to many corners, specifically with suspension. The GX is the sweet spot for me.
    I am leaning towards GX as well...
    Another thing in favor of the X01 build though is the TRS+ hub, which has as many as 60 teeth, i.e. a engagement of 6 degrees only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    I am leaning towards GX as well...
    Another thing in favor of the X01 build though is the TRS+ hub, which has as many as 60 teeth, i.e. a engagement of 6 degrees only.
    That was a drawback for me (waiting on a gx scout) but I figure Iíll run the novatecs till they break and upgrade. But for me personally the xo over gx wasnít enough for me to go xo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    are any of you on a size XL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip2 View Post
    The Range 9 and Primer were my favorite 29ers Iíve had in the past couple years. Based off that I will describe the two and than tell you how the Sentinel compared.

Range 9:
    Great review and comparisons. What year Range 9 did you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Great review and comparisons. What year Range 9 did you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Coming back to the Sentinel GX build, which has the Rockshox Lyrik fork. Do you know if the Novatec hub comes with Torque Caps?

I am not even sure if Novatec manufactures Torque Caps. However, it seems there are 3rd party alternatives: https://www.ebay.com/p/Novatec-Hub-T...r=601385023191
    Last edited by F-Bomb; 12-20-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Coming back to the Sentinel GX build, which has the Rockshox Lyrik fork. Do you know if the Novatec hub comes with Torque Caps?

I am not even sure if Novatec manufactures Torque Caps. However, it seems there are 3rd party alternatives: https://www.ebay.com/p/Novatec-Hub-T...r=601385023191
    The GX build hubs are not a torque cap model, and that 3rd party part is not compatible with the particular hub we spec. Non torque cap hubs work just fine in a torque cap fork, you just don't get the full stiffness benefit that SRAM markets from that system...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Who's got some good shock settings for the Sentinel? 185lb rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Dpx2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    On mine Iíve found rider weight plus 20. Tr recommends rebound all they way out,
    Then In three clicks

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Rider weight + 20psi gives 35% sag? I was way off then. 175psi looked about right (185lb rider) as far as sag on the shock shaft, but I didn't actually measure it. I figure the air can on this thing needs grease like most other air shocks do out of the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I didnít do anything to mine but set pressure, I measured it and at first I was at 19mm (scout) Iíve since moved it up to 17ish mm, the recommended measurement on the scout is 17-19mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Measured everything up, and sure enough, ended up at 205-210psi. Definitely more balanced, so far. Will mess with the clickers next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    Measured everything up, and sure enough, ended up at 205-210psi. Definitely more balanced, so far. Will mess with the clickers next.
    Glad that worked!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anybody in the front range of Colorado with this bike? Debating between an enduro coil or this guy..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    a Tranny or a Spesh, how is that even a question??

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yes, I know I know.. I even grew up in WA but I work at a Specialized dealer so I can get an enduro pretty easily. Just wondering if anybody near Denver has bought a sentinel yet to comment on it's ability for ascending in the area

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i can comment on that too. push the pedals, it ascends. pretty well i reckon. going up in BC and CO is remarkably similar. come to think of it, going up is also similar in most places in the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    i can comment on that too. push the pedals, it ascends. pretty well i reckon. going up in BC and CO is remarkably similar. come to think of it, going up is also similar in most places in the world.
    Going up in CO I would say is a lot different than going up in WA or BC.. Compared to the nice logging roads in the PNW or even climbing trails, most of CO ascending is on technical rocky up. I'm coming from a '16 Reign which isn't the best climber so I'm guessing that the Sentinel will do better

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    For one of the sickest and craziest bike around...
    This thread is quite quiet

Can you share hoe did you setup your suspentions?

With equipment I'm ~90kg (190lbs) and I am struggling for a plush feel

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^ given the bike has just come out, i can't imagine there are all that many in riders hands yet. not sure where you live, but it's winter in the northern hemisphere to boot. not a lot of riding in many regions. bike shops are dead here, everyone is skiing.

mtbr member
    Building this XL up for a buddy.

42mmx 160mm Yari with MRP ramp control & Avalanche damper (on order)
    M9000XTR drivetrain & brakes
    Bike yoke 185mm dropper
    carbon hoops & Dt350s
    Other good bits

33LBS without pedals

Bike is massive for me so my experience is not a good indicator of how the bike will perform. I can say that it pedals surprisingly well and the rear suspension feels active on climbs.

Transition Sentinel-img_20180109_171810320.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Question for anyone that currently has the alloy Sent: how quickly would you upgrade to the carbon?

Just trying to figure out if I'd be happy with the alloy and not kick myself for getting extra spendy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've had mine since November and am totally happy with the bike glad I didn't wait for the carbon. Looks like they have been unveiled but won't be available until spring. Even now that is a few months of waiting. That being said when the carbon becomes available if I still love the bike, and EVIL hasn't dropped a 140 29er, I will be looking to upgrade to the carbon. I have no problems climbing on the bike now but 2.5 pounds is a good amount of weight to drop.

Short answer: yes you'll be happy but I would always wonder what 2.5 pounds would feel like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anybody out there ridden the carbon version yet? I'm wondering if the weight loss with carbon will translate to a stiffer and more playful bike as well as it being a better bike for racing. It seems like reviewers have commented on it being an insane descender with good seated pedaling but I'm wondering how this translates for it being an enduro racer like a slash or 5.5.. PB compared the aluminum version with other 29ers but didn't mention racing as something associated with the bike but i'm wondering if carbon will change that

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Why are you selling?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmop View Post
    Why are you selling?
    Love the bike, just have some financial issues arise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi all,

I just curious to see did anyone try the standard 46 or 51 mm offset fork on the Sentinel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Lam View Post
    Hi all,

I just curious to see did anyone try the standard 46 or 51 mm offset fork on the Sentinel?
    Pinkbike tried it in their review of the Sentinel

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transi...view-2017.html

No Clue Crew
    Nothing to add yet but my Sentinel should be in tomorrow or Wednesday and all the glowing reviews I've seen so far are getting me more excited...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2320522/

Anyone need a Large frame?

No Clue Crew
    I've got nothing bad to say about this bike yet... It's everything the Hightower LT I tried was with none of the drawbacks: correct seated pedaling position over the BB instead of behind it and no surprise pedal strikes off of just about everything due to an ungodly low BB.

Transition Sentinel-sentinel-cheese.00_00_28_06.still001.jpg
    Transition Sentinel-sentinel-cheese.00_01_30_06.still003.jpg
    Transition Sentinel-sentinel-fmp-n.00_01_01_06.still003.jpg

OK, I take that back. It ain't light. My luggage scale says it's 34 pounds but even with 3 pounds on my old 26er I'm PRing segments even in the sh|t shape I'm in now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Geometry Comparison

Hey guys. Love this thread. Congrats to all who've been able to get their hands on one. Still trying to save up some coin for this bike as it's still top of my list. I road it at Outerbike and absolutely fell in love.

I've put together a geometry comparison of a size L Sentinel to some of the other bikes mentioned in here (Norco Range, SB 5.5, Hightower LT). Hopefully you all find it helpful.

https://bikenerds.io/vs/KRS8HlBkro:y...RMF:jZ62if3AyH

*Disclaimer: I wrote the website that does this. Been plugging away at getting data entered. There might be some miss entries and I currently don't have a way to flag them. Ping me if you see errors and I'll do my best to update them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicote View Post
    Hey guys. Love this thread. Congrats to all who've been able to get their hands on one. Still trying to save up some coin for this bike as it's still top of my list. I road it at Outerbike and absolutely fell in love.

I've put together a geometry comparison of a size L Sentinel to some of the other bikes mentioned in here (Norco Range, SB 5.5, Hightower LT). Hopefully you all find it helpful.

https://bikenerds.io/vs/KRS8HlBkro:y...RMF:jZ62if3AyH

*Disclaimer: I wrote the website that does this. Been plugging away at getting data entered. There might be some miss entries and I currently don't have a way to flag them. Ping me if you see errors and I'll do my best to update them.
    Very cool.
    Add the rallon and smash
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks @Whalenard! I added the rallon, haven't done the smash yet. However, anyone can add bikes if they create an account (using this gateway so it doesn't get spammed).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicote View Post
    Thanks @Whalenard! I added the rallon, haven't done the smash yet. However, anyone can add bikes if they create an account (using this gateway so it doesn't get spammed).
    Super handy!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    My only complaint is the cable routing, particularly the derailleur cable. Its one of the worst ive dealt with.

Complaints and grievances:

Cable is routed extremely close to chainring and can cause interference. Oddly, it is attached by a raised boss that pushes the cable away from the machined groove as it goes into chainstay. I used a ziptie to hold the cable in place while some adhesive dried. There are better ways to do this. ( FYI, this bike has a boost 3mm 32T ring with a 2.5 shim on the drive side)
    Transition Sentinel-img_20180123_140045718.jpg
    Transition Sentinel-img_20180123_140315174.jpg
    Transition Sentinel-img_20180102_181553500.jpg

The dropper cable goes through the BB without and internal tubes to guide it. That means the BB has to come out for a cable or dropper service.
    Transition Sentinel-img_20180102_181423576.jpg

Lastly, The frame came to me with the chainstay protector glued in the wrong place. I had to remove and re adhere it before moving forward with build.

Transition Sentinel-img_20171230_085647057_hdr.jpg
    Transition Sentinel-img_20171230_090155849_hdr.jpg

This was apparently the last XL frame they had in stock for a bit so i just held onto it and fixed the issues myself. Overall, the bike is good, just has a few minor functionality/quality issues.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 02-06-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    OK, I take that back. It ain't light. My luggage scale says it's 34 pounds but even with 3 pounds on my old 26er I'm PRing segments even in the sh|t shape I'm in now.
    My luggage scale was being kind. My people scale said it's 35 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    My only complaint is the cable routing, particularly the derailleur cable. Its one of the worst ive dealt with.

Complaints and grievances:
    Cable is routed extremely close to chainring and can cause interference. Oddly, it is attached by a raised boss that pushes the cable away from the machined groove as it goes into chainstay. I used a ziptie to hold the cable in place while some adhesive dried. There are better was to do this. ( This bike has a boost 3mm 32T ring with a 2.5 shim on the drive side)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180123_140045718.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1181660
    When I picked the bike up I was talking with a shop guy about changing the chainring out and we noticed this poor routing. I assume that 2.5mm shim is pushing the chairing OUT to give more clearance? I just ordered a 30t oval which seems like it will clear but there does appear to be a size limitation with this routing...

smartass
    I have a Smuggler, same cable routing. I didn't like how they ran it in chainstay/bb area either, so I ran my derailleur cable through the lowest window of the shock mount, then below the top guide mount and into the chainstay without using the attached cable guide. I run a chain guide, which sandwiches the cable in place, but still allows some movement. Been working great for me so far, no interference with the chainring.

Using your pic to illustrate:

Name:  IMG_20180102_181423576.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  60.7 KB

Agreed on the dropper cabling being a pain as well. Next time I'll use a wooden dowel through the bb for the cable to slide around. There's plenty of sharp edges in there that can chew up your cable housing if you just pull it through.

mtbr member
    My luggage scale was being kind. My people scale said it's 35 pounds.

When I picked the bike up I was talking with a shop guy about changing the chainring out and we noticed this poor routing. I assume that 2.5mm shim is pushing the chairing OUT to give more clearance? I just ordered a 30t oval which seems like it will clear but there does appear to be a size limitation with this routing...
    The ring is a 32T oval so its more like a 34 on the big end. That may have a little to do with it, but its still a bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    I have a Smuggler, same cable routing. I didn't like how they ran it in chainstay/bb area either, so I ran my derailleur cable through the lowest window of the shock mount, then below the top guide mount and into the chainstay without using the attached cable guide. I run a chain guide, which sandwiches the cable in place, but still allows some movement. Been working great for me so far, no interference with the chainring.

Using your pic to illustrate:

Name:  IMG_20180102_181423576.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  60.7 KB

Agreed on the dropper cabling being a pain as well. Next time I'll use a wooden dowel through the bb for the cable to slide around. There's plenty of sharp edges in there that can chew up your cable housing if you just pull it through.
    Thanks for the heads up. Ill keep that in mid if this starts having issues.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

No Clue Crew
    The ring is a 32T oval so its more like a 34 on the big end. That may have a little to do with it, but its still a bad design.
    Totally agree it's a bad design. I was just curious if you used the spacer to move the ring away from the chassis. I don't do a lot of wrenching so never knew a spacer on the chain ring was a thing. I've got a 30t oval coming and I think it will fit. Could get ugly quick if that zip tie breaks loose...

mtbr member
    Totally agree it's a bad design. I was just curious if you used the spacer to move the ring away from the chassis. I don't do a lot of wrenching so never knew a spacer on the chain ring was a thing. I've got a 30t oval coming and I think it will fit. Could get ugly quick if that zip tie breaks loose...
    No worries.

The shim is for the BB cup only. You can tinker with yours as well if needed. I prefer a spacer on each side for crank symmetry and also best chainliine for this application.

If you get a 3mm offset oval ring in 30T, youll be fine. Feel free to PM if you have any questions or run into a snag.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

No Clue Crew
    If you get a 3mm offset oval ring in 30T, youll be fine. Feel free to PM if you have any questions or run into a snag.
    I got the boost version so should be fine then...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Stoked I found this page, I have been riding my Sentinel for 2 weeks now after 3 years on a TR Patrol. I have been struggling to get the suspension dialled in but after a post I read on here yesterday it's now running super smooth!!

mtbr member
    We've heard lots about how great the Sentinel is at high speed on the gnarly stuff, not that there was really much doubt abount that. But how are people finding it overall, outside of warp-speed in the bike parks or EWS course? How does it perform as a longer travel trail bike? Still fun when just cruising, or does it really need to be ridden flat out to come alive?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    We've heard lots about how great the Sentinel is at high speed on the gnarly stuff, not that there was really much doubt abount that. But how are people finding it overall, outside of warp-speed in the bike parks or EWS course? How does it perform as a longer travel trail bike? Still fun when just cruising, or does it really need to be ridden flat out to come alive?
    This. I'm on a 2017 Smuggler right now and it rides great everywhere. I was going to upgrade to the Sentinel but I want a bike that still rides as well on 25-mile backcountry epics as it does ripping the local freeride trails. Now I'm thinking SBG carbon smuggler instead of carbon Sentinel. If anyone can weigh in on how the sentinel rides on a variety of trails, that would be amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've only had my Sentinel for 3 weeks so early days. I have been riding it most days to and from work with longer rides on the weekends.
    Coming off a Patrol for the past 3 years it's certainly a different beast. At first I had a few "oh no what have I done" moments but as I have ridden the Sentinel more and set it up correctly it's becoming clear how capable this bike is and why it's a good fit for me. I'm 6'4 and weigh 210 pounds.
    The first thing I noticed is how big the bike is, it's long but super slack which has taken some getting used to, you need to ride forward more on it get that weight distributed over that front axle. For me given my height it's a great fit and I'm happy I've made the move to a capable 29er like the sentinel. I personally didn't like other 29ers I had tested before this. It rolls quick and I'm finding it really efficient to climb on. I used to get a lot of pedal strike on the Patrol with that really low BB, I don't have that problem with the 29 Sentinel at all.

I climb a tight zigzag on my way to work and it's no problem in the tight stuff. I have found descending in the tight at slow speeds I need to be more aggressive in the steering and move the hips more to steer it around, being long it has a much wider turning arc.

I'm finding the geometry on the Sentinel really comfortable on longer rides too, more comfy than the Patrol was on longer rides. TR got the seat post position spot on I reckon and the 170mm Reverb is awesome. The reach is a nice length too.

I have found getting used to that new front wheel being wayyyy out front tricky. On slighty angled off camber rooty sections I was experiencing some washout but that was solved by changing my riding position, getting more forward over that front wheel. It has also improved as I've tweaked the suspension setup.

Weight wise it's a pretty heavy bike but I reckon it's pretty similar to my patrol. In saying that I'm finding it a much more efficient and comfortable bike to pedal and climb on and I'm getting to the top of climbs more efficiently than I did on my Patrol.

I'm riding it across a real mixture of terrain from steep climbs, XC trails to steep trails both flowy and rutty, now I have the Sentinel set up right it's loads of fun for a big bike! I loved how playful the Patrol was and I was worried the Sentinel didn't have that pop and play but once it's dialled in it's got it in spades but delivers it in a very different manner than the Patrol. As a lot of other commentary has said, it eats up the steep stuff and is a super stable platform doing it.

So I'm really stoked with the Sentinel thus far and every day I ride it I learn something new about how it handles and what it likes and dislikes, so far the only dislike I can find is descending tight steep corners at slow speeds, given the big wheelbase, but like anything you learn to manage that in time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the review! I wish I was riding a Sentinel to work!

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR74 View Post
    I've only had my Sentinel for 3 weeks so early days. I have been riding it most days to and from work with longer rides on the weekends.
    Coming off a Patrol for the past 3 years it's certainly a different beast. At first I had a few "oh no what have I done" moments but as I have ridden the Sentinel more and set it up correctly it's becoming clear how capable this bike is and why it's a good fit for me. I'm 6'4 and weigh 210 pounds.
    The first thing I noticed is how big the bike is, it's long but super slack which has taken some getting used to, you need to ride forward more on it get that weight distributed over that front axle. For me given my height it's a great fit and I'm happy I've made the move to a capable 29er like the sentinel. I personally didn't like other 29ers I had tested before this. It rolls quick and I'm finding it really efficient to climb on. I used to get a lot of pedal strike on the Patrol with that really low BB, I don't have that problem with the 29 Sentinel at all.

I climb a tight zigzag on my way to work and it's no problem in the tight stuff. I have found descending in the tight at slow speeds I need to be more aggressive in the steering and move the hips more to steer it around, being long it has a much wider turning arc.

I'm finding the geometry on the Sentinel really comfortable on longer rides too, more comfy than the Patrol was on longer rides. TR got the seat post position spot on I reckon and the 170mm Reverb is awesome. The reach is a nice length too.

I have found getting used to that new front wheel being wayyyy out front tricky. On slighty angled off camber rooty sections I was experiencing some washout but that was solved by changing my riding position, getting more forward over that front wheel. It has also improved as I've tweaked the suspension setup.

Weight wise it's a pretty heavy bike but I reckon it's pretty similar to my patrol. In saying that I'm finding it a much more efficient and comfortable bike to pedal and climb on and I'm getting to the top of climbs more efficiently than I did on my Patrol.

I'm riding it across a real mixture of terrain from steep climbs, XC trails to steep trails both flowy and rutty, now I have the Sentinel set up right it's loads of fun for a big bike! I loved how playful the Patrol was and I was worried the Sentinel didn't have that pop and play but once it's dialled in it's got it in spades but delivers it in a very different manner than the Patrol. As a lot of other commentary has said, it eats up the steep stuff and is a super stable platform doing it.

So I'm really stoked with the Sentinel thus far and every day I ride it I learn something new about how it handles and what it likes and dislikes, so far the only dislike I can find is descending tight steep corners at slow speeds, given the big wheelbase, but like anything you learn to manage that in time.
    Thanks for the review, sounds very positive. If you don't mind my asking, what air pressure and sag are you running.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dhan4848 View Post
    This. I'm on a 2017 Smuggler right now and it rides great everywhere. I was going to upgrade to the Sentinel but I want a bike that still rides as well on 25-mile backcountry epics as it does ripping the local freeride trails. Now I'm thinking SBG carbon smuggler instead of carbon Sentinel. If anyone can weigh in on how the sentinel rides on a variety of trails, that would be amazing.
    I am in the same boat, only really want 140mm 29er F an R. My crazy thought was, since I have a 140mm 51offse pike use that. Figured since the bottom bracket height is fairly high, would be at 330-335 with the lowered fork, not terrible low. Also with the 51 offset would imagine the wheelbase would be about the same, keeping the SBG centering about the same front and back. Stack should be fine since usually have 29er bars slammed. Only part not sure about is the seat angle would steepen even a bit more, could I get ideal knees over pedals.

Any opinions on this from people that understand geometry changes really good? Am I just crazy to try this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post
    I am in the same boat, only really want 140mm 29er F an R. My crazy thought was, since I have a 140mm 51offse pike use that. Figured since the bottom bracket height is fairly high, would be at 330-335 with the lowered fork, not terrible low. Also with the 51 offset would imagine the wheelbase would be about the same, keeping the SBG centering about the same front and back. Stack should be fine since usually have 29er bars slammed. Only part not sure about is the seat angle would steepen even a bit more, could I get ideal knees over pedals.

Any opinions on this from people that understand geometry changes really good? Am I just crazy to try this?
    offset on for doesnt change the WB as much as youd think. Went from 51 to 40mm on my process 111 and it dropped 1/4 inch. Stack is pretty low on the sentinel also.

Sentinel project update:

Avalanche damper showed up today for the yari.
    Transition Sentinel-img_20180214_131940160.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Cheers JR47, good info!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In the rear I'm running 228 psi and 4 clicks back from the fastest end!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Pleasure, I hope that helps. It's always so subjective.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    JR74, what frame size do you have?
    I have about the same нeight/weight and think about buying sentinel

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I got the XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BTW - I bought the Alloy GX, and I transferred my SAINT brakes off my patrol and bought a new Scoop Saddle. I reckon the GX build is good value. The only other thing I'm waiting on is a 2.5 Maxxis Minion for the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR74 View Post
    I got the XL.
    How tall are you? I could probably go L or XL, would really like to try something longer than my current L Endorphin, but with more travel, bigger wheels and more length an XL Sentinel is a lot of bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Not to throw off the tech talk, but what are people's thoughts on going from carbon (SC "C") to an aluminum Sentinel? Will it be super noticeable, or is modern aluminum pretty solid?

I went from a Santa Cruz Bronson C to a Transition Smuggler aluminum. There are lots of differences between the two so its hard to compare the frame material only, but I can tell you that my aluminum transition climbs faster and feels much better to pedal with similar tire tread, rims and overall wheel weight. The bronson did have more travel, but it also had vpp. i was hesitant to go "back" to aluminum, but after doing it wouldn't hesitate to do it again. you sacrifice a couple pounds, but i think thats about it. we're not pedaling hard enough to really flex the frame on a bike with full suspension and rubber tires. those will give first. if it were a hard tail, different story maybe. i also have a yeti asrc and i can notice some flex in that whereas my smuggler does not flex. i wouldn't rule out aluminum, but i also wouldn't assume aluminum is stronger just because its metal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I"m 6'4. If you can fit a large then get one in that size, that would be even more fun! I'm finding the XL for me is definitely the right size, really comfortable to climb and pedal on. On my old Patrol I used to get a sore lower back on long climbs, not on the Sentinel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    I went from a Santa Cruz Bronson C to a Transition Smuggler aluminum. There are lots of differences between the two so its hard to compare the frame material only, but I can tell you that my aluminum transition climbs faster and feels much better to pedal with similar tire tread, rims and overall wheel weight. The bronson did have more travel, but it also had vpp. i was hesitant to go "back" to aluminum, but after doing it wouldn't hesitate to do it again. you sacrifice a couple pounds, but i think thats about it. we're not pedaling hard enough to really flex the frame on a bike with full suspension and rubber tires. those will give first. if it were a hard tail, different story maybe. i also have a yeti asrc and i can notice some flex in that whereas my smuggler does not flex. i wouldn't rule out aluminum, but i also wouldn't assume aluminum is stronger just because its metal.
    This is great insight, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post

I have messed around with different length forks on some bikes and never noticed much of a difference. If you're serious about it I would compare the axle to crown measurement between different forks. sometimes you can get a different brand that has a shorter axle to crown measurement which allows you to actually go up in travel (or vice versa) without really changing the geometry. i know some people with pike 150's have changed to fox 36 160's and only added like 3mm to the axle to crown measurement. if you changed the 150 pike to a 160 pike that would add 10mm from axle to crown. i know you're talking about going down in travel, but same concept. focus on the axle to crown measurement if your wondering how it will change the geometry to add/reduce travel or change the fork. having that said, if you're looking for a bike to go on long rides with, it won't be the extra 20mm of fork travel that is slowing you down on the sentinel. i highly doubt taking 20mm off will turn into much more of an all day "epic" kind of bike. the smuggler (which tends to ride like it has more rear travel than the numbers say) is probably a better choice. sounds like you're looking for more of a trail bike or aggressive trail bike. this is another step up and not just because of the fork travel numbers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have messed around with different length forks on some bikes and never noticed much of a difference. If you're serious about it I would compare the axle to crown measurement between different forks. sometimes you can get a different brand that has a shorter axle to crown measurement which allows you to actually go up in travel (or vice versa) without really changing the geometry. i know some people with pike 150's have changed to fox 36 160's and only added like 3mm to the axle to crown measurement. if you changed the 150 pike to a 160 pike that would add 10mm from axle to crown. i know you're talking about going down in travel, but same concept. focus on the axle to crown measurement if your wondering how it will change the geometry to add/reduce travel or change the fork. having that said, if you're looking for a bike to go on long rides with, it won't be the extra 20mm of fork travel that is slowing you down on the sentinel. i highly doubt taking 20mm off will turn into much more of an all day "epic" kind of bike. the smuggler (which tends to ride like it has more rear travel than the numbers say) is probably a better choice. sounds like you're looking for more of a trail bike or aggressive trail bike. this is another step up and not just because of the fork travel numbers.
    Thanks for the reply. Looking for aggressive trail/AM, Smuggler would probably be the ticket, but I just love the blue color of the Sentinel!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My last 4 bikes have been carbon, I reluctantly went with an aluminum build this time. Riding season is right around the corner for me (going with a Scout SBG) and there is no release date for the scout in Carbon I know of. My 2015 alloy Scout was amazing.

Im pretty sure that besides weight there will be little if any noticeable flex in the SBG frames......they have to be completely overbuilt to weigh as much as they do!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Finally here!! Time to get to work.
    XL frame, bathroom scale says 9.8 lbs.

Transition Sentinel-image1.jpg

Transition Sentinel-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My Sentinel has a *non* boost wolf tooth 30t XSync SRAM. When I first built it up the cable was cloooose to the chainring. I kept an eye on it for about 20hrs of riding. 3 months later it's never touched, even though it's damn near touching. Wouldn't be too concerned about it. You can't run an upper guide with a non boost ring BTW, that's the only gripe I've ever had. But I prefer my stainless Wolftooth anyway. seemingly impervious to wear, and a better chain line for climbing single track :-)

No Clue Crew
    I'm guessing you've all seen this but just in case...

[R]eviewed: Transition Sentinel ‚Äď [R]evolution MTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm guessing you've all seen this but just in case...

[R]eviewed: Transition Sentinel ‚Äď [R]evolution MTB

Ugh, seriously? I have no reason to think this bike is anything but awesome, but to say it climbs like an XC bike? From the article: "it pedalled as efficiently as you would expect from any XC steed on the market." Maybe transition has cracked the code, defied physics and accomplished something that no other manufacturer has ever done - but after riding a lot of high end bikes I personally don't believe in the "descends like a downhill bike, climbs like an XC bike" comments that so many bikes get. Sometimes I wonder how much I can trust a review that says something like that. Go ride an s-works epic or something then tell me that a 34 pound aluminum sentinel climbs as efficiently as an xc bike.

No Clue Crew
    Ugh, seriously? I have no reason to think this bike is anything but awesome, but to say it climbs like an XC bike? ... after riding a lot of high end bikes I personally don't believe in the "descends like a downhill bike, climbs like an XC bike" comments that so many bikes get.
    Yeah, you gotta be able to read between the lines so to speak. There will likely never be a bike that does DH & XC as good as a bike dedicated for each.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Sentinel seems to be a great bike but not even the Transition guys would have written such a "review"

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Good Ol Revo mag they mean well

Saying that it does climb well for a bike of its nature, surely it helps when it has eagle and a decent shock onboard? I also rode a Sight before purchasing the sentinel (gx model) and much preferred what I ended up purchasing and have had the most fun on it so far

Now to head back out and have a spin

mtbr member
    I have an alloy Sentinel and have a lot of time on an Alloy Smuggler. I'd say the main considerations are the increased rear travel and the slacker head angle. The Smuggler is quite capable, and I could ride anything on the Smuggler that I could ride on the Sentinel but when it gets really steep and rough and the jumps get big (like stuff I would typically ride on DH bike in the past) the Sentinel handles it much faster and with much more confidence. At the same time, the Sentinel pedals fine and the SBG minimizes the negative effects of the slack head angle when climbing or going around slow corners. I guess I'd argue that the downhill, high-speed gains on the Sentinel are greater than the uphill, low speed losses. In large part because the two bikes are so similar in weight. But if you aren't getting into legit fast, steep, and rough terrain now and then, or if you don't mind riding such terrain a little more carefully, then stick with the Smuggler. I enjoy going fast and big the most, and want a bike that favors that, but is still feasible on a long slog. So for example the other weekend I lapped a downhill jump trail three or four times and then I rode a 15 mile XC loop with a thousand feet of climbing. No getting around the bike being a tank, but it's totally doable, and worth it in my mind if you really want to open it up and not tip-toe around on the way back down.

TL/DR the Smuggler is the best all rounder, but the Sentinel adds some serious gains to the downhill gnar without much sacrificed on the way back up.
    Binary ē Transition Bikes ē Demon Dirt ē

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have an alloy Sentinel and have a lot of time on an Alloy Smuggler. I'd say the main considerations are the increased rear travel and the slacker head angle. The Smuggler is quite capable, and I could ride anything on the Smuggler that I could ride on the Sentinel but when it gets really steep and rough and the jumps get big (like stuff I would typically ride on DH bike in the past) the Sentinel handles it much faster and with much more confidence. At the same time, the Sentinel pedals fine and the SBG minimizes the negative effects of the slack head angle when climbing or going around slow corners. I guess I'd argue that the downhill, high-speed gains on the Sentinel are greater than the uphill, low speed losses. In large part because the two bikes are so similar in weight. But if you aren't getting into legit fast, steep, and rough terrain now and then, or if you don't mind riding such terrain a little more carefully, then stick with the Smuggler. I enjoy going fast and big the most, and want a bike that favors that, but is still feasible on a long slog. So for example the other weekend I lapped a downhill jump trail three or four times and then I rode a 15 mile XC loop with a thousand feet of climbing. No getting around the bike being a tank, but it's totally doable, and worth it in my mind if you really want to open it up and not tip-toe around on the way back down.

TL/DR the Smuggler is the best all rounder, but the Sentinel adds some serious gains to the downhill gnar without much sacrificed on the way back up.
    Coming off a 2017 smuggler, this is exactly the type of review I was looking for. Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    I guess I'd argue that the downhill, high-speed gains on the Sentinel are greater than the uphill, low speed losses.
    This is exactly what I think when I see claims that a bike climbs like an XC bike and descends like a DH bike. Not many people are going to believe that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I took a Sentinel out this past weekend, demo'd directly from Transition, and ended up buying a frame and fork on the spot. I didn't think I'd be on 29" wheels and thought I'd be on a shorter travel bike, but the Sentinel pedaled impressively well and despite the length, it rounded switchbacks much better than expected. And what a party machine on the way down...we were riding in full-on snow and it still made me feel confident enough to hit rock rolls, jumps, etc. Any bike is the sum of many, many parts, but something about the very upright riding position paired with the ultra slack head angle makes it feel perfect when the trail turns downward.

Most of the trails that I ride are damn steep and technical, but jury is still out on how the bike rides on flatter terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    I took a Sentinel out this past weekend, demo'd directly from Transition, and ended up buying a frame and fork on the spot. I didn't think I'd be on 29" wheels and thought I'd be on a shorter travel bike, but the Sentinel pedaled impressively well and despite the length, it rounded switchbacks much better than expected. And what a party machine on the way down...we were riding in full-on snow and it still made me feel confident enough to hit rock rolls, jumps, etc. Any bike is the sum of many, many parts, but something about the very upright riding position paired with the ultra slack head angle makes it feel perfect when the trail turns downward.

Most of the trails that I ride are damn steep and technical, but jury is still out on how the bike rides on flatter terrain.
    Nice, Which one did you ride? Aluminum or Carbon?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rode and bought the aluminum. The carbon is a sick bike, but expensive. I'd rather have the extra $1k to channel into better parts.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast