Transition Sentinel - Page 14- Mtbr.com
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1320
    mtbr member
    Was riding two days ago and there was a concerning noise coming from my bottom bracket area. (Which I thought was weird because I just replaced that). Took the cranks and bottom bracket off and everything looked perfect. But then I found this. This is definitely not just paint peeling, I can see the cracks into the carbon with a flashlight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Keep us updated on the Ribbon coil & Hazard combination since I have them on my shopping list but I am hesitating to push the button.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    I agree. I just got back from Moab with my Sentinel and while it handled most of the terrain fine, thats not it's bread and butter. It's sluggish on the climbs, although the climbing position rocks. It has a tendency to wanna go in a straight line and not turn around all the rocks and features. I prefer the bike on the loamy, faster bigger trails in the PNW. It's tough with bikes since they all have their advantages.

I'm running a MRP Coil fork (41 offset) and JUST ordered a MRP Hazzard coil rear shock w/progressive spring for the back, we'll see how it turns out. As much as I like Storia and Push, and there is a lot to like, I really think a progressive spring is the "correct" way to handle a linear frame.
    I was also deciding between the Hazzard and the EXT Storia V3. I have the EXT, and I do not regret. The main reason for choosing EXT is that it is custom tuned for the specific bike frame and suspension design, second for my riding weight and third for my riding style. For my weight of 255lbs and a pretty aggressive riding style, I have never experienced a good set up with a stock shock set up. Not air or coil, so for me it is a revolution to have a set up to work with the fine tune of compression and rebound, within my specific scope. The EXT comes with two coil springs and it was attached the lightest at 550 lbs (since 575 is still not available). I was really in doubt, that it was waist of time to try the light spring. So after some hours of riding now, and dialling in the right set up and feel, it is some of the best rear suspension ever felt, on any of my 20 different full suspension bikes the last 12 years. That is with the softest initial feel you could ever imagine, still with the support, speed and the feel you want to have to be able "push" through turns. Another really important feature for me is the HBO. It is giving a super soft bottom out feel and it is so satisfying slamming the bike and my "dead weight" down from drops and jumps and just land buttery smooth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    I was also deciding between the Hazzard and the EXT Storia V3. I have the EXT, and I do not regret. The main reason for choosing EXT is that it is custom tuned for the specific bike frame and suspension design, second for my riding weight and third for my riding style. For my weight of 255lbs and a pretty aggressive riding style, I have never experienced a good set up with a stock shock set up. Not air or coil, so for me it is a revolution to have a set up to work with the fine tune of compression and rebound, within my specific scope. The EXT comes with two coil springs and it was attached the lightest at 550 lbs (since 575 is still not available). I was really in doubt, that it was waist of time to try the light spring. So after some hours of riding now, and dialling in the right set up and feel, it is some of the best rear suspension ever felt, on any of my 20 different full suspension bikes the last 12 years. That is with the softest initial feel you could ever imagine, still with the support, speed and the feel you want to have to be able "push" through turns. Another really important feature for me is the HBO. It is giving a super soft bottom out feel and it is so satisfying slamming the bike and my "dead weight" down from drops and jumps and just land buttery smooth.
    Fair enough and that's what I lose, the custom tuning part. From what I hear they MRP's may get the custom treatment down the road. Are you in Europe?

I just couldn't help myself to at least try the MRP. If it doesn't blow me away, I may try the Storia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Was riding two days ago and there was a concerning noise coming from my bottom bracket area. (Which I thought was weird because I just replaced that). Took the cranks and bottom bracket off and everything looked perfect. But then I found this. This is definitely not just paint peeling, I can see the cracks into the carbon with a flashlight.
    That sucks. I'm interested to hear what Transition's response is. Hopefully it's as simple as them sending you a new rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Fair enough and that's what I lose, the custom tuning part. From what I hear they MRP's may get the custom treatment down the road. Are you in Europe?

I just couldn't help myself to at least try the MRP. If it doesn't blow me away, I may try the Storia.
    The mrp will probably be good! For me it was not a big difference in price, 2 coils & shock from mrp with VAT in Europe is not much cheaper than a Storia. Suppose the distributor charge a bit more then in US. I have also changed a lot of bikes/frames the recent years so I wanted to be able to rebuild for future plans. It was also shipped really fast, within 2 days with DHL so it was not more time shipping then inland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    That sucks. I'm interested to hear what Transition's response is. Hopefully it's as simple as them sending you a new rear triangle.
    Its already in transit. Thank you local bike shop (ABS in Santa Cruz) and Transition on wasting no time to getting me what I need to get rolling again. Expected eta is Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Can anyone thats running a sram dub bb and crankset please quickly have a look and let me know what spacer setup they're running on their Sentinel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I pulled mine off last night to swap to a new frame and it was setup with a 2.5 spacer on each side, in between the BB and frame.. I know this goes against what the install docs say but it worked fine and was setup this way by my LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 93dls View Post
    Can anyone thats running a sram dub bb and crankset please quickly have a look and let me know what spacer setup they're running on their Sentinel.
    one 4.5 outer right

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm 100% coil now, got my MRP Hazzard mounted up with Progressive spring, looks cool, besides bouncing around in the garage have not gotten to ride it.

Gotta hand it to MRP, they take the extra step to hand write who looked at the fork and that it passed the inspection. Cool personal touch so you know it actually got checked. Both my Ribbon Coil fork and this shock came this way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 100% coil now, got my MRP Hazzard mounted up with Progressive spring, looks cool, besides bouncing around in the garage have not gotten to ride it.

Gotta hand it to MRP, they take the extra step to hand write who looked at the fork and that it passed the inspection. Cool personal touch so you know it actually got checked. Both my Ribbon Coil fork and this shock came this way.
    Same here, with fox 36 smashpot coil and EXT storia v3 rear shock. Could not believe that these bike, that was so progressive and fast with air set up, still has agility to be playful with coil, and even better, swallows terrain in a league you can only dream of. Runs a super soft rear coil spring, but the tune and damping abilties of the EXT makes it so good. The HBC is also one of the key factor to make it possible to run it wit super soft coil spring.

mtbr member

Really curious on your experience with coil. I've been pleasantly surprised with the 36 and DPX2, but as a flat pedal rider with rocky, desert terrain, the temptation of a coil is very, very strong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Really curious on your experience with coil. I've been pleasantly surprised with the 36 and DPX2, but as a flat pedal rider with rocky, desert terrain, the temptation of a coil is very, very strong.
    I'll let you know, unfortunately my training these days is mostly on the XC and road bikes, but will follow up ASAP.

I like the Coil fork so far, I have a few miles with that on w/DPX2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Question for yall

I can get a pretty good deal on some new Raceface Arc wheels with DT350 hubs. Would you consider this a significant upgrade over the e-thirteen trs wheels with Novatec hubs my 2018 Sentinel came with?

mtbr member
    Anyone knows if there is any substance to the "Super Sentinel" rumors?
    I've seen that pop around from time to time but nothing too specific. On the contrary, there seemed to be quite grounded info on the release of the SC Megatower for quite some time.

Really on the verge of ordering a '19 Sentinel

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Usually bikes change every 3 years so I wouldn't expect a super Sentinel this year.

mtbr member
    Call or email Transition and ask them directly. Nothing worse than purchasing a bike and two or three months later, the exact model you wanted becomes available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafmajor View Post
    Question for yall

I can get a pretty good deal on some new Raceface Arc wheels with DT350 hubs. Would you consider this a significant upgrade over the e-thirteen trs wheels with Novatec hubs my 2018 Sentinel came with?
    The 350s are solid, super reliable hubs. Arc 30 or 27? Both are fine but nothing remarkable, although 30 is better for WT tires. Worst case, you run them until you destroy the rims, then have a solid pair of hubs to relace to either more durable alloy rims or some carbon ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    They are the Arc 30s from the new Megatower. They are the asymmetrical ones.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314