Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,192 of 1192
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxx View Post
    Well folks, here she is! Sheís been dubbed the #mountainmurderweapon by a buddy of mine and I think that might just stick!

Attachment 1229187Attachment 1229188Attachment 1229189Attachment 1229190Attachment 1229191Attachment 1229192Attachment 1229193Attachment 1229194Attachment 1229195

This thing is an absolute beast! I canít wait to get more seat time.

Also, I donít know how to post videos here but if you search Instagram for my name - Max Picton, or search that hashtag #mountainmurderweapon youíll find a cool time lapse video of us building the bike in the shop.

Well, Iím off to go shred! Later!
    Iím not sure itís physically possibly to get a more blinged out bike than that one. Looks sick!

Maybe with these pedals. Love the Vaults even though Iím not a flat pedal person.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A buddy of mine had those magnesium pedals - they wore out super fast, like less than 1 year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    A buddy of mine had those magnesium pedals - they wore out super fast, like less than 1 year.
    I would get the normal Vaults, these just popped up in my quick google search and the color matched his bike perfectly.

Stucco Bucket
    I have DMR vaults on my Strive and on my Session. The trail bike got about year and half on them. Session doesnt get as much seat time. Good grippy pedals but didnt hold up

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    Are you Burt Reynolds kid? Cause thats the Bandits Transam

And its rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha ha this had me laughing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Hey Paxx your bike build and parts choices for your build are probaly the single best culmination I've ever seen on any bike posted on these forums.....absolutely stunning !

I especially love the choice of Insider Wheels the keep weight down and of course the Magura brakes as well as the custom Decals. Obviously finnishing everything off with your Push front and rear coil setup.....Congratulations
    Thank you man, that's a huge compliment!

I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone on this thread - I read the entire thing start to finish while planning my build. This thread is the single greatest source of info on the internet about the Sentinel.

Appreciate you noticing the Insider rims. The build came in at 32.06lbs without pedals and the EDC, 33.05lbs with them included. Not bad for a coil sprung XL bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Iím not sure itís physically possibly to get a more blinged out bike than that one. Looks sick!

Maybe with these pedals. Love the Vaults even though Iím not a flat pedal person.
    The vaults are sick but the One Ups are so thin. Needed to offset the lower bottom bracket as much as possible.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    1) Not heavy. The frame weight is right in line with other bikes in this class (the weight is posted earlier in this thread). He porked out his build and blames the bike for not feeling light or responsive. My bike is 29lbs even with 1000+ gram e13 tires.
    Spec?

Sounds like I need to borrow your scales

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Spec?

My Sentinel is an aluminum size L and weights 15.150kg. Except for the carbon wheels everything else is on the porky side.
    I really don't think that's overweight for a solid 140/160 enduro bike.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Spec? As mine was the same weight, albeit with no carbon wheels (but not a heavy alu wheelset) and nothing really to save weight on elsewhere without compromising the bike. Other than maybe ~90g on a Lev Ci, but spending £450 to save that weight seems a little silly

damned rocks...
    Frame: 2018 Sentinel aluminum size L with Fox DPX2 Performance Elite
    Wheels: Chinese carbon wheels (1700g)
    Tyres: Magic Mary 2.35"/ Maxxis Ardent 2.40"
    Fork: Manitou Mattoc
    Stem/handlebars: 50mm, 720mm flatbars
    Brakes: Shimano M785 with steel braided lines.
    Rotors: Shimano IceTech 230mm/180mm
    Cranks: old Shimano triple cranks
    Cassette: 11-46 11s Sunrace
    Shifter/derailleur: Shimano M7000 set
    Chain: the cheapest Shimano/SRAM 11s I can find
    Seatpost: BikeYoke Revive 160mm
    Sadle: Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow
    Pedals: Shimano Trail PD-M530
    Rider: 1.82m 76Kg wearing a single vine leaf.

Think it's everything, unless you want my 3 sizes .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Spec?

The carbon frame with DPX2 shock is pretty light. With e13 tires (1.5 ply, Apex inserts) my bike weights 29lbs on the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    how the hell did Bob 0 build his so light?

Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    A couple parts that are on the light side:
    Enve stem
    Joystick carbon bar
    Formula RO brakes
    KS Lev Ci 175mm dropper
    RF Next R cranks
    SC Reserve 27 w/DT 350 hubs (not the lightest)
    Exo casing tires 2.4 dhr2 front, 2.3 Griffin rear (prob. 200grams less than 2.5's or double down casings)
    XX1 11speed shifter & mech, e13 9-46 cassette

I have a Park Tools digital scale which is the only scale I've weighed my bike on. Would be interesting weigh it on a different scale.

Attachment 1221363
    Attachment 1221362

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    With a well thought out build spec its not hard to get these bikes down that low in weight. The stock X01 build I demo'd in Bellingham came in at just over 30lbs according to Transition.

Without the coil suspension mine would have been at the 29lb mark as well.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hmm, either my scales are out then, or something does't add up

Spec is near on comparable, accounting for differences of components.

Maybe TBC filled my old downtube with lead

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    In the process of building mine up now.....does anybody have any tricks that can help get the rear der housing through the chainstay? The downtube as easy enough but not sure how I'm going to do the chainstay....

Thanks

mtbr member
    On other bikes I've fed some shifter cable through and then slidv the housing over it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

damned rocks...
    I just pushed the housing from the BB area until I saw the housing tip near the exit, got a pick, inserted the pick tip inside the housing and while pushing the housing, guided the housing with the pick through the exit, took me around 30s to do this, I think .

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    In the process of building mine up now.....does anybody have any tricks that can help get the rear der housing through the chainstay? The downtube as easy enough but not sure how I'm going to do the chainstay....

Thanks
    you have to start from the back, means first put in the housing at the end of the chainstay.

mtbr member

Thanks
    I really struggled with that chainstay routing. It sounds like Aglo has a much better method than mine, but here's what I finally had success with:

-Hung the bike from the front wheel (so that gravity was working with me)
    -fed a string in the hole near the BB
    -put a vacuum on the exit hole in the chainstay to suck the string through
    -bent a hook in some spare cable and tied the string to the hook
    -pulled the cable back through the chainstay by pulling the string
    -fed the housing over the cable
    -pulled out the cable and fed the correct cable from the shifter all the way through.

Whew!

mtbr member

Transition Sentinel

I just peeled the rubber chainstay protector back and it was a lot easier. I usually tie a piece of floss into a few loops on the end of the housing so I have something to grab onto. Then superglued the end of the rubber piece back on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    I just pushed the housing from the BB area until I saw the housing tip near the exit, got a pick, inserted the pick tip inside the housing and while pushing the housing, guided the housing with the pick through the exit, took me around 30s to do this, I think .
    This worked for me as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I just peeled the rubber chainstay protector back and it was a lot easier. I usually tie a piece of floss into a few loops on the end of the housing so I have something to grab onto. Then superglued the end of the rubber piece back on.
    Used this method, the hole is quite large underneath - thanks, took just a couple minutes. I was hesitant to peel that back but seemed to re-stick pretty good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Does anyone know if there is any rub if you use Hope rotors on a medium carbon sentinel? Have heard some rumors of transition bikes and rotor rub with Hopes and want to make sure there isn't any before I buy the bike.

NVM. Don't even try it lol.

Transition Sentinel-hoperotorrub.jpg
    Last edited by bikesbeersandbeards; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesbeersandbeards View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any rub if you use Hope rotors on a medium carbon sentinel? Have heard some rumors of transition bikes and rotor rub with Hopes and want to make sure there isn't any before I buy the bike.

NVM. Don't even try it lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoperotorrub.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	1229864
    Wow. I was thinking about getting the hope rotors for my Sentinel. Does anyone know if they fit ok on the alloy frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    +1 for DMR Vaults!

Third ride on my Push Elevensix. Love it. 205ish lb riding weight on a 525-550lb spring. Dpx2 was good, but harsh over rough stuff if I ran enough pressure to keep the bike high in travel (240ish PSI with 2 clicks low speed and .86 volume spacer). Dpx2 was great shock for the bike, but Push is another level. Had a 2016 Patrol with a Float X2 and this blows that out of the water.

Push stays high in travel while staying very plush over high speed (and low speed) rough. Love it!

Name:  p3pb16693992.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  110.7 KB

Hisforever
    Does anybody have any input fork selection on these bikes? I just ordered a new 2019, current front runners are:

2019 Fox 36 GRIP2 - 44mm offset
    2019 MRP Coil - 41mm offset

I know this is kind of a frame agnostic question, but figured I'd ask here to see if anybody has actual experience with either of these two forks on a Sentinel (or transition for that matter).
    Kinda late but i can help. mrp 41mm ribbon rips on the bike. had it going for about a month now. had the fox elite at 44mm before this, ribbon coil & 11/6 are mental
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice!

For those of you with 11-6's already, how did you have push set up your 2 valves?

I have one ready to send to be retooled from a previous build but that was a 180/170 frame. I had to valves setup for DH and a climb mode. The climb mode worked amazing but was too harsh for anything but climbing. (as expected)

Was thinking of one of the 2 valves for the Sentinel tune to either be a jump/flow line tune or just "trail" and the obligatory DH tune the other. With only 140 to work with I'm really curious to hear how they're being set up before sending mine out.
    '18 Sentinel
    '17 HD3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.I.T.nj View Post
    Nice!

For those of you with 11-6's already, how did you have push set up your 2 valves?

I have one ready to send to be retooled from a previous build but that was a 180/170 frame. I had to valves setup for DH and a climb mode. The climb mode worked amazing but was too harsh for anything but climbing. (as expected)

Was thinking of one of the 2 valves for the Sentinel tune to either be a jump/flow line tune or just "trail" and the obligatory DH tune the other. With only 140 to work with I'm really curious to hear how they're being set up before sending mine out.
    I had them set it up with a DH and a trail mode, and the shock came with a card with recommended low/high speed compression settings for those modes. I'm unclear if switching the lever actually gives you 2 different valving, or just allows you quickly switch between compression settings.

If I dial the compression settings to full-closed, it is very firm, and suitable for climbing on pavement. Usually, I run LSC about 4 clicks from closed for the firm setting, which works well any time I am pedaling. Harsh on high-speed choppy descents, but despite being harsh, it actually still feels pretty stable, so when I forget to switch it to DH mode, it's a little unpleasant, but not unsafe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The lever actually does give you two separate valves, it isn't just different compression settings. The lever redirects the oil flow through a separate valve. There is a video that Push posted online somewhere with a cutaway showing how the flow is redirected.

I have mine set up with DH and Trail. I think the only way I would consider the climb mode would be if I had straight up fire road climbs for every descent. I use the trail mode for most climbs but even find that the DH mode works well on the sections of really technical and chunky ledges. There's more pedal bob than flipping the switch on the DPX2 but it's manageable.

The trail mode is great for any type of buff single track. It really makes the bike come alive similar to an air shock. The DPX2 is still a bit more playful but the Push in trail mode keeps up not too bad. And as was mentioned above, the nice thing is that the few times I had it set in trail mode and the trail got ugly before I could switch the lever, it still supports you and gives you the confidence to smash through. Obviously not as well as the DH mode but I was pleasantly surprised!

No Clue Crew
    As for the custom decals, yeah, just got the logo files sent over from Transition and then had a local shop print them off. I know that Fanatik also sells them online if you don't know of any print shops in your area. They have a number of different options that you can choose from.
    Are they a vinyl decal?
    How did you apply them?

Been thinking about doing this myself but unsure how a thick vinyl decal would look applied over a OEM decal with a nice clear coat over it...

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    So um, is my aluminum Sentinel NX overweight at 36 lbs? I weighed it when it was stock and it was on or about 35.5 lbs. Since then, I installed a SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain with a SunRace 12spd cassette, kept the RaceFace Aeffect crank, Cushcore, ANVL handlebar, pedals, and saddle. I also replaced the Deluxe RT with a DPX2. I also live in WA state too
    My large aluminum Sentinel is just under 35 lbs. Because of the weight I've debated with myself over CushCore... Funny thing is that, according to Strava, the extra 4 pounds I gained moving from my old 26er to the larger clown-wheeled cycle don't mean anything. I still PR climbs and descents on my "heavy" Sentinel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone put a 32t chainring on their sentinel? Does it make a noticable change to the pedaling? The antisquat with the 30 is good enough for most trail climbs but I am worried a 32 will drop it enough to feel soft.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    My large aluminum Sentinel is just under 35 lbs. Because of the weight I've debated with myself over CushCore... Funny thing is that, according to Strava, the extra 4 pounds I gained moving from my old 26er to the larger clown-wheeled cycle don't mean anything. I still PR climbs and descents on my "heavy" Sentinel.
    When I installed Cushcore, I couldn't feel the rotational mass. It was odd because I could feel it on my 28 pound hardtail. With all of my upgrades, I'm sitting a little over 36 pounds. I want to enduro race with this bike and I'm looking to drop some weight (both body weight and bike weight). At the end of next season, I'm aiming to pick up a carbon Sentinel frame when they go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Anyone put a 32t chainring on their sentinel? Does it make a noticable change to the pedaling? The antisquat with the 30 is good enough for most trail climbs but I am worried a 32 will drop it enough to feel soft.
    I have a SRAM DUB crank with a 32T chainring and it works out pretty good for me.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    I run 32t and would not go smaller irregardless of if it effects the anti-squat or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks Guys.. Good to hear the trail mode is still very rideable if you get caught in chunky terrain before switching. My local riding is on the milder side so the bike will see a lot of time in trail mode. I'll likely use the DH setting for enduro's and bike park days. I'll make sure I get that across to push when I send it out this week.

As far as the dpx2, I think I finally got it close to dialed in with 20psi over BW and one spacer. I'm just not lovin it. I had an X2 on my previous bike and it was the best air shock I ever rode. If I had to stay air I would definitely switch to it. There's something lost in translation with the dpx2 for me. Maybe it's the simpler setup with the 3pos lever instead of the full range adjustments of the X2? Either way, on to coil.

Now for the fork - convert the 36's with the Push or Vorsprung Smashpot kit or sell it and get the MRP ribbon coil? Loved my ribbon coil - I'm a little hesitant to try a conversion kit.
    '18 Sentinel
    '17 HD3

No Clue Crew
    When I installed Cushcore, I couldn't feel the rotational mass. It was odd because I could feel it on my 28 pound hardtail. With all of my upgrades, I'm sitting a little over 36 pounds.
    I just pinch flatted on a pounding section of trail over the weekend putting a small but annoying ding in my new Sentry/i9 wheels. CushCore should be here tomorrow so maybe I'll have them in this weekend. I'll probably be sitting at a little more than 36# after that install.

jcd's best friend
    I just pinch flatted on a pounding section of trail over the weekend putting a small but annoying ding in my new Sentry/i9 wheels. CushCore should be here tomorrow so maybe I'll have them in this weekend. I'll probably be sitting at a little more than 36# after that install.
    I have an install video I created to help you install it in 10-15 minutes with no tools (or hardly using them). If you are interested, Iíll send you a link.

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Are they a vinyl decal?
    How did you apply them?

Been thinking about doing this myself but unsure how a thick vinyl decal would look applied over a OEM decal with a nice clear coat over it...
    Yeah they are a vinyl decal. Definitely want them as thin as possible - mine were a little thicker than I would have liked and it made it difficult to apply the frame protector and get all the air bubbles out.

As for how to apply them - with a lot of time and patience ha ha. It's finicky, time consuming work to be sure. Worth it for the custom look though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm on a 32T and I'm happy with it. Just my personal preference on gearing - didn't really take the anti-squat into consideration but I haven't noticed a big adverse effect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Now for the fork - convert the 36's with the Push or Vorsprung Smashpot kit or sell it and get the MRP ribbon coil? Loved my ribbon coil - I'm a little hesitant to try a conversion kit.
    I've got the Push conversion and I'm really happy with it so far - tracks amazing, has great mid-stroke support, and great bottom out resistance.

That said, the MRP Ribbon Coil is supposed to perform just as well at a considerably lower weight. (maybe without as much bottom out resistance - which is why I went with the ACS3) If you're not a heavy rider the Ribbon may be a better bet. I weigh 230lbs and tend to blow through travel so I wanted the air bump of the Push kit.

I'm not familiar with the Smashpot kit so can't comment on that.

No Clue Crew
    I have an install video I created to help you install it in 10-15 minutes with no tools (or hardly using them). If you are interested, Iíll send you a link.
    Seen it, actually. I've been asking a couple questions in that thread but I didn't think to check who's video it was. Nice job on it...

Yeah they are a vinyl decal. Definitely want them as thin as possible - mine were a little thicker than I would have liked and it made it difficult to apply the frame protector and get all the air bubbles out. As for how to apply them - with a lot of time and patience ha ha. It's finicky, time consuming work to be sure. Worth it for the custom look though!
    We've got a vinyl cutter at work I could get it done with easy. Just gotta see how much a roll of purple vinyl is and if it's worth the money right now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks Guys.. Good to hear the trail mode is still very rideable if you get caught in chunky terrain before switching. My local riding is on the milder side so the bike will see a lot of time in trail mode. I'll likely use the DH setting for enduro's and bike park days. I'll make sure I get that across to push when I send it out this week.

As far as the dpx2, I think I finally got it close to dialed in with 20psi over BW and one spacer. I'm just not lovin it. I had an X2 on my previous bike and it was the best air shock I ever rode. If I had to stay air I would definitely switch to it. There's something lost in translation with the dpx2 for me. Maybe it's the simpler setup with the 3pos lever instead of the full range adjustments of the X2? Either way, on to coil.

I like the Ribbon Coil on my rig. I got the 41mm offset, feels great so far. I don't have experience wwith any of the conversion kits though so don't know how it directly compares. I do like that it comes with a super low offset though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Stupid question - what are folks torqing down their seatpost collars to? I'm at 6 nm and my post still slips if I'm putting a lot of pressure on it sideways. I have paste on the post already, but didn't seem to solve the problem.

jcd's best friend
    Seen it, actually. I've been asking a couple questions in that thread but I didn't think to check who's video it was. Nice job on it...
    Thanks! The lighting sucked in my garage. I've since upgraded my lighting should I do something else crazy in my garage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, I'm finally joining the Sentinel club. I snagged the 2018 carbon demo that Transition had up. I spoke to them and they said that it would be still be eligible for crash replacement discount (should the need arise), which is something you can't get buying a used bike.

I would have been happy with the '19 gunmetal color, but I like the bright TR blue a lot too. It will be a nice change of pace to have a colorful bike coming off a stealth black Nomad.

How bad are the E13 TRS+ wheels that the X01 came with (with E13 hubs, not the garbage Novatech ones)? I won't be able to upgrade the wheels til after I sell my old bike and generate some cash.

mtbr member
    Actually the TRS+ hubs and rims are pretty good. Better quality than the plain TRS rims and like you said - best to stay away from the Novatec hubs. If you decide to upgrade your wheelset, they'll be fine until then.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    best to stay away from the Novatec hubs.
    I got 83 miles outta my Novatec rear hub! That's good, right?

Riding on a custom Sentry/i9 build now and have no worries...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

+1, mine worked for a solid year then I wore through the freehub spline body and it was trashed....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Sounds about right. The Novatecs I had on my hardtail started creaking within 20 miles. I'll probably go with DT 350/XM481 eventually.

mtbr member
    I delayed purchase of a smuggler so I could get a bike that didn't have e13 stuff on it. The bike I demoed, actually had a busted e13 rear hub and I had to procure a 148 boost wheel from a friend. I also watched a different friend suffer through the e13 cranks on his Ripley.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    I decided to swap out my stock wheels seeing people are having bad luck with the Novatec hubs. I was planning on doing it anyways. I custom built my wheels through Fanatik Bike with WTB Asym TCS i29 rims and Hope Pro4 hubs. I had Pro4 hubs in the past and loved the sound!

I also ordered the RockShox Charger2 RC2 kit and MRP Ramp Control cartridge for my Yari. I wanted to get the Fox 36 but decided to give this combo a try seeing Worldwide Cyclery had a 15 percent discount pretty much storewide. I ended up saving $70 on my total order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Canít decide between sentinel and evil offering

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsray152 View Post
    Easy choice for me, Transition has an amazing track record of standing behind their products and are a great group of guys who do a lot for their local community. Evil doesn't measure up to any of those metrics...some nice guys who work there for sure, but leadership is a bit challenged and I've seen firsthand some pretty shady interactions regarding product support down the road.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    Easy choice for me, Transition has an amazing track record of standing behind their products and are a great group of guys who do a lot for their local community. Evil doesn't measure up to any of those metrics...some nice guys who work there for sure, but leadership is a bit challenged and I've seen firsthand some pretty shady interactions regarding product support down the road.
    Plus Transition will get back to you quickly via email!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jsray152 View Post

These were my top 2 choices. I went with Transition because I knew I wanted both steep STA and slack HTA, which would have meant running an angleset on the Offering, whereas the Sentinel geometry is perfect (for me) out of the box. I exchanged emails with both companies and both were very responsive. I did get the overall impression that some of Evil's design decisions are based upon what they think will sell, whereas Transition just makes the bikes they think will be awesome to ride. That's just my gut feeling though, nothing concrete to back it up.

Cost was also a bit of a factor too (base Evil frame is $100 more, but I would have also needed a new dropper post since they spec 30.9 instead of 31.6, in addition to a pricey angleset). Also, it's pure preference, but I really like that Transition spec's Performance Elite (black) Fox suspension, as I personally think Kashima is ugly.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a L or XL sentinal in the socal area? I'm looking to buy one but there literally isn't a single demo bike available in the region. I'd like to at the least sit on the two different sizes and roll them around a parking lot before I do anything crazy like order a bike without demo'ing it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    question about the 140 travel in the rear from those of you who have come from bikes with more. any big deal? do you find it a bit harsh on fast rough trails?
    Love it, I actually like the increased feedback. I have never bottomed from rock gardens or technical fast section, yes I have used all the travel on drops and jumps to flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are your DPX2s kind of noisy? I got mine yesterday (previously a TBC factory demo), and notice while setting sag that the shock is pretty noisy. It makes a lot of "squish" noise. I haven't ridden it yet, or pulled it open to check what volume spacer it came with (guessing it's got a 0.6 since it was an early 2018, and they come with 0.86 now). I'm wondering if it needs service.

My last shock was a DHX2 so I'm used to my shock being silent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Are your DPX2s kind of noisy? I got mine yesterday (previously a TBC factory demo), and notice while setting sag that the shock is pretty noisy. It makes a lot of "squish" noise. I haven't ridden it yet, or pulled it open to check what volume spacer it came with (guessing it's got a 0.6 since it was an early 2018, and they come with 0.86 now). I'm wondering if it needs service.

Hmmm. Sounds like an internal seal may have gone bad. I had that squishy sound come from two of my Float X2s. Prior to sending back to Fox (mine were covered under warranty), I pulled the can off and there was excessive oil spilling out. I should note, these were 2018 model shocks, each with 3-5 days of riding on them. Issue has not returned since being rebuilt.

mtbr member
    I went with Transition because I knew I wanted both steep STA and slack HTA, which would have meant running an angleset on the Offering, whereas the Sentinel geometry is perfect (for me) out of the box.

I did get the overall impression that some of Evil's design decisions are based upon what they think will sell, whereas Transition just makes the bikes they think will be awesome to ride. That's just my gut feeling though, nothing concrete to back it up.
    Agree and feel the same. Much respect to Lars and crew for leading on the geo and getting the big suspension names on board with new offset options. Until the Offering, Evil's have been pretty short in reach and sizing reccos were definitely on the small side.

I've owned a Wreck and Following MB and don't miss fuxxin with angle sets and flip options. Sentinel is dialed as is.

mtbr member
    minimusprime: I live in Los Angeles and have a large. I think youíre in Tustin? Let me know if you want to head up here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

It depends what kind of noise you're talking about. The DPX2 has kind of a sucking noise when the rebound is adjusted pretty slow. Most folks just dial the rebound fast enough to get rid of the noise if they have an issue with it. I don't really notice it after a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    It depends what kind of noise you're talking about. The DPX2 has kind of a sucking noise when the rebound is adjusted pretty slow. Most folks just dial the rebound fast enough to get rid of the noise if they have an issue with it. I don't really notice it after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfunpuff View Post
    Hmmm. Sounds like an internal seal may have gone bad. I had that squishy sound come from two of my Float X2s. Prior to sending back to Fox (mine were covered under warranty), I pulled the can off and there was excessive oil spilling out. I should note, these were 2018 model shocks, each with 3-5 days of riding on them. Issue has not returned since being rebuilt.
    Thanks guys. I did some Google searches and most of the videos I found of people with squelching noises were much worse. Mine is much quieter, just sort of a squish. It could be entirely normal. I did a first ride last night and it seemed fine. I'll ride tomorrow morning with a few of the mechanics from my LBS and see what they say.

I've got the rebound set pretty fast (10/14 clicks from slow) but the LSC pretty open (7/10 clicks from closed). Pressure is around 190 psi (19mm sag). I do want to put in a bigger volume reducer tonight as it wasn't quite as poppy off small lips as I'd like, although it felt fantastic through fast rough stuff. Honestly, as it is, the Sentinel suspension tracks nearly as well as the DHX2 on my Nomad 3 does, and when you factor in the 29" wheels, it comes out ahead.

I LOVE the steep STA. I knew I wanted that and it was really high on my list of new bike criteria, but within 30 sec of pedaling out of my garage, I was just like "YES, this is exactly what I wanted!" It just feels so right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Makes you wonder why it took so long for bike manufacturers to figure it out. There will always be something new to make bikes better in the future, but there are a ton of great bikes out there nowadays. You really can't go wrong anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've got the rebound set pretty fast (10/14 clicks from slow) but the LSC pretty open (7/10 clicks from closed). Pressure is around 190 psi (19mm sag). I do want to put in a bigger volume reducer tonight as it wasn't quite as poppy off small lips as I'd like, although it felt fantastic through fast rough stuff.
    Don't throw in another volume spacer. Volume spacers affect the end of the travel, not the early travel, so if you're hitting a small lip and noticing a lack of support you need to either increase LS compression or increase air pressure. I actually dropped to a smaller-than-stock volume spacer with my latest custom tune from DirtLabs, but increased air pressure to 205. For reference, I'm about 170lbs geared up. Bike is much more energetic off of the top end, but the transition through the mid-stroke to the end stroke ramp is more consistent and supportive.

mtbr member
    curious if anyone has tried to long shock the sentinel. I know you can put a float x2 on it and have the stroke reduced, has anyone tried to put a float x2 with the full 60mm stroke?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've heard rumour that you can swap the linkage from a Patrol over to the Sentinel and then you can increase the travel but if you try and do it the way you are suggesting you will contact the frame under full compression.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone know what this ring is for? It was in my DPX2, kinda loose, when I went to swap volume reducers. I don't see it on the Fox drawings.
    Transition Sentinel-img_20190114_193400.jpg

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    It looks like an air can seal spacer/shim that goes on either side of the seal (2 total) that separates the positive and negative chamber of the air can. The seal on the shock body not the air can.
    Whats this line for?

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Anyone know what this ring is for? It was in my DPX2, kinda loose, when I went to swap volume reducers. I don't see it on the Fox drawings.

Name:	IMG_20190114_193400.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	1233605
    Itís a bearing back up ring see the white rings in the pic. Mine pop off sometime when you pull the air can from negative pressure.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks guys that was it. Like you said, negative pressure must have knocked it off. It is shown on one of the sub assembly drawings, that's why I didn't see it at first.

mtbr member
    I actually dropped to a smaller-than-stock volume spacer with my latest custom tune from DirtLabs, but increased air pressure to 205.
    What size spacer are you using now? How do you think this tune worked out for you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_evolution View Post
    What size spacer are you using now? How do you think this tune worked out for you?
    I'm using 1 smaller than stock, stock was a 0.6 so I believe the new one is a 0.4.

It's hard to say exactly how the tune is working for now because it's very wet here in the Seattle area right now, and consequently most riding is on lower angle and less technical trails. First ride felt great, and while I'd suspect that I may have to go back to the stock 0.6 volume spacer when I'm hitting full speed during the summer, the improved damping support is very, very apparent.

The stock tune on the DPX2 seems to prioritize perceived plushness at lower speeds, but it seemed harsh at higher speeds while also somehow blowing through its travel. It seems much more supported in the middle part of the travel now, and high speed hits have a much smoother transition. Running higher pressures on this shock really help it maintain usable travel in really rough terrain, and running those higher pressures mean fewer volume spacers required to get adequate ramp.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the rain.
    Thanks for the info. Iím debating getting the dpx tuned by dirtlabs or perhaps saving up for a float x2. May try that .4 spacer and see what happens in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry about the rain.
    Thanks for the info. Iím debating getting the dpx tuned by dirtlabs or perhaps saving up for a float x2. May try that .4 spacer and see what happens in the meantime.
    The rain is what makes the fall and spring so damn good here, so I can't complain too much about a wet winter season. I know Fox added a larger bottom out bumper to the newer X2, but I still think Transition recommends the DPX2 over the X2 due to the X2s super linear spring curve. Might save you some $$$...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone have a fender zip tied in the rear triangle to cover the lower linkage? I'm curious to know what works, since it's really shape dependent. I noticed the top of the lower link accumulates mud really quickly.

I've thrown some AMS honeycomb decals on top of it to protect the paint, but that doesn't really help cover the bearings.

On my Nomad 3, I did something with a strip of innertube zip tied to the ST & CS, but when I tried fitting it on the Sentinel last night, it didn't seem to fit as well, not to mention looked terrible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sorry about the rain.
    If your saving up for a new shock, I'd just go with a Storia coil. They have a shock tuned specifically for the Sentinel with some sort of nifty bottom out damper / bumper that is supposed to work well.

I got a hold of them and they said it was the frame they get the most requests for shocks....

mtbr member
    The rain is what makes the fall and spring so damn good here, so I can't complain too much about a wet winter season. I know Fox added a larger bottom out bumper to the newer X2, but I still think Transition recommends the DPX2 over the X2 due to the X2s super linear spring curve. Might save you some $$$...
    I hear you about that x2, but the Dirtlabs tuned version and that pic of Lars with a x2 (from the ďwelcome MarcoĒ feature on the transition website) on his sentinel got me thinking about money I shouldnít be spending right now, lol. Dirtlabs tuned dpx2 might be the best route for me in the near future.

mtbr member
    If your saving up for a new shock, I'd just go with a Storia coil. They have a shock tuned specifically for the Sentinel with some sort of nifty bottom out damper / bumper that is supposed to work well.

I got a hold of them and they said it was the frame they get the most requests for shocks....
    Thanks for the tip, Iíll check this out👍🏼

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just did a ride on my local trail, trying out the "rider weight +35" recommendation that's floated around this thread. I really liked how it felt - much more poppy off small features, but still great grip over fast chunk. In the sake of accuracy, I even weighed myself on the bathroom scale with all my gear before I left - 176 lbs. Shock is set to 210 psi (after making sure to equalize chambers a few times). Rebound is 10/14 from slow, LSC 7/10 from closed. I'm still using the stock 0.6 token, although on a few of the hits it did feel like it ramped up pretty rapidly. I'll ride a different trail Saturday (with more jumps) and consider going down to a 0.4.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Anyone have a 170mm dropper on their Medium frame? I've got a Medium alloy and am curious if I should jump up to 170 or stick to 150. Transition says max would be 230mm and the PNW Components Bachelor is fully in at 280mm. Leaves about 2" of post out of the frame. Guess it mostly comes down to if I can ride it that high?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by reidmorebooks View Post
    Anyone have a 170mm dropper on their Medium frame? I've got a Medium alloy and am curious if I should jump up to 170 or stick to 150. Transition says max would be 230mm and the PNW Components Bachelor is fully in at 280mm. Leaves about 2" of post out of the frame. Guess it mostly comes down to if I can ride it that high?
    I ride a medium with a 185 Revive. It definitely cannot be inserted down to the collar. But I ride with it about 2Ē above the collar so it works great. I might be able to lower it about another inch but not much more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Transition Sentinel-img_20190119_124837.jpg

Photo of my "new to me" Sentinel carbon, now that the build is basically done. I screwed up and originally ordered a 32T chainring, because that's what I had on my 27.5 bike before, but forgot that it's more work to spin the big wheels. 30T is on the way, but apparently the USPS has decided to move it the last 20 miles by donkey.

Drivetrain: full X01 Eagle (plus XX1 chain) w/ Next SL cranks
    Dropper: 160mm Revive
    Brakes: Magura MT5s (MT trail levers)
    Cockpit: GD1 grips, Next R bars, Turbine R 40mm stem
    Wheels: still the stock TRS+ (in the process of debadging them because the decals were kind of ratty). Magic Mary 2.35s, SS

Total weight with pedals, bottle cage, etc. is 30.25 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Nice Ride! Love my Sentinel. I have the magic in the front and swear by it. How do you find it in the back? Was thinking of going with a Hans damp.

Cheers.

MD

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by modepp View Post
    Nice Ride! Love my Sentinel. I have the magic in the front and swear by it. How do you find it in the back? Was thinking of going with a Hans damp.

Cheers.

MD
    Only have 2 rides on them, but liking them so far. This is the first time I've ridden Schwalbe since the new rubber. I previously tried HD/NN and HD/HD. I didn't like those because the HD felt draggy and the NN washed out in corners. MM so far seems to have good grip, sheds mud well, and slightly less drag than Minions, plus lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Just got an email notification that my Sentinel is Bike of the Day over on VitalMTB! Check it out!
    https://m.vitalmtb.com/community/Paxx,48294/setup,38074

Stoked!

mtbr member
    I'm still using the stock 0.6 token, although on a few of the hits it did feel like it ramped up pretty rapidly. I'll ride a different trail Saturday (with more jumps) and consider going down to a 0.4.
    I swapped out the 0.6 for a 0.4 reducer this weekend. Did my regular ride (el prieto trail in so cal) and it seems the harsh ramp up is gone. bigger hits were much more forgiving, actually a little bit plush. 35 psi over my weight with gear, so 260 psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Name:	IMG_20190119_124837.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	469.1 KB 
ID:	1234240

Photo of my "new to me" Sentinel carbon, now that the build is basically done. I screwed up and originally ordered a 32T chainring, because that's what I had on my 27.5 bike before, but forgot that it's more work to spin the big wheels. 30T is on the way, but apparently the USPS has decided to move it the last 20 miles by donkey.

Drivetrain: full X01 Eagle (plus XX1 chain) w/ Next SL cranks
    Dropper: 160mm Revive
    Brakes: Magura MT5s (MT trail levers)
    Cockpit: GD1 grips, Next R bars, Turbine R 40mm stem
    Wheels: still the stock TRS+ (in the process of debadging them because the decals were kind of ratty). Magic Mary 2.35s, SS

Total weight with pedals, bottle cage, etc. is 30.25 lbs.
    Killer weight.
    First time I've seen a pretty light Sentinel.
    Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So you're saying that the Hans Damp felt not as fast rolling as the magic? was the Hans The addix version?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So you're saying that the Hans Damp felt not as fast rolling as the magic? was the Hans The addix version?
    I only rode the old non-Addix version of the HD & NN, and this was a couple years ago. The HD/NN combo I rode was the Snakeskin variety which rolled well but was really drifty. The HD/HD combo I tried for a few days was the old SuperGravity version, and felt super draggy. I'm not sure if it was due to the weight, or due to HD tread on the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Awesome job on the Sentinel. Bike looks sweet! Where did you buy the gold fork decals from?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Awesome job on the Sentinel. Bike looks sweet! Where did you buy the gold fork decals from?

Cheers.
    Thanks! Got the frame and fork decals from a local print shop. I do know that you can buy them from Fanatik bike co. as well though.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112