Thread: Sentinel Riding

Bnerd

Sentinel Riding

I enjoy taking photos and videos of my rides. I'll share the ones that I like the look of here.
    Feel free to share your photos and vids that you have of you riding your Sentinels.

Share the stoke!

Enjoy!

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180912-152424%7E2.jpg

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180912-152654%7E2.jpg

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180912-152848%7E2.jpg

Sentinel Riding-motion_shot_2018_09_13_10_48_15.jpg

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180912-153038%7E2.jpg

Sentinel Riding-motion_shot_2018_09_13_10_49_29.jpg

Bnerd
    Out getting after it today!

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180917-142904.jpg

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180917-142704%7E2.jpg

Sentinel Riding-screenshot_20180917-142921.jpg

Bnerd
    Mountain biking is FUN!

Sentinel Riding-00004xtr_00004_burst20180918115246.jpg

Sentinel Riding-00061xtr_00061_burst20180918115246.jpg

iij
    k
    Sentinel Riding-_psp1938.jpg

Bnerd
    Nice!

Bnerd
    A small jump from a ride last week.

Sentinel Riding-img_20180926_112213_011.jpg

...and using most of what the bike has on offer to land!

Sentinel Riding-img_20180926_112213_020-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    This bike loves hitting jumps!
    Sentinel Riding-img_4658.jpg

Bnerd
    Nice!
    That trail looks fun!

Bnerd
    The Winter season is fast approaching! If Ullr plays nice I may be putting the Sentinel to bed for the season in 2 weeks time and pulling the board out!

I'm just trying to squeeze in rides before it gets too cold and ugly to ride.

Here's some photos from riding over the past couple of weeks.

Enjoy!

jcd's best friend
    Nice shots!
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    You live up in BC RideEverything? Looks awesome!

Down here in California (Santa Cruz) we are patiently waiting for rain so we can kick off the riding season. Just as hot and dusty as the middle of summer right now...

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Nice shots!
    Thanks!

I do a lot of self shot photos and videos when I ride because at this time of the year I ride by myself quite a lot. When you ride with others there's less stopping and waiting. When I ride by myself I don't mind stopping to set my phone/camera up and sessioning a section to get the photo I want.

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    You live up in BC RideEverything? Looks awesome!

Down here in California (Santa Cruz) we are patiently waiting for rain so we can kick off the riding season. Just as hot and dusty as the middle of summer right now...
    Yes, I live in Whistler, BC. It is awesome!

At this time of year it's a bit worrying to ride because of how wet it is because snowboarding is just around the corner and I don't need to injure myself sliding out before that starts. Knock on wood!

It gets really dusty and loose through the Summer here. Usually the best conditions are Spring/early Summer and Fall. Fall is usually the best.

The bonus of living in this region is that in the Spring Squamish is usually ready to ride a month or so before Whistler is and it's only a 40 minute drive. And, in the Fall when it's raining and wet all the time Pemberton is the go to riding area because the ground drains way better and it's only 30 minutes away.

That being said there's great riding to be had here in Whistler. Sometimes you just need to be smart about what trails you choose to ride because it can get really gnarly in the wet. Most of the trails are rideable in the wet. It's just that the steep rooty sections and rock slabs become crazy when wet!

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    Thanks!

I do a lot of self shot photos and videos when I ride because at this time of the year I ride by myself quite a lot. When you ride with others there's less stopping and waiting. When I ride by myself I don't mind stopping to set my phone/camera up and sessioning a section to get the photo I want.
    How do you set up your equipment to do your own shots? Also, do you use a remote to activate the camera for the shots? I've been wanting to do the same thing for a long time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    The bonus of living in this region is...
    The bonus is that you have the best riding in North America in your backyard. And within a 3 hour radius there are more epic trails than in all of California if I had to guess.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    How do you set up your equipment to do your own shots? Also, do you use a remote to activate the camera for the shots? I've been wanting to do the same thing for a long time.
    In the last few years I've strictly been using my phone as my camera. Before that I had a fancy waterproof point-and-shoot camera. Phone cameras have become so good that I was using my actual camera less and less.

I also do all of my post processing/editing on my phone as well. I'm by no means a photo professional but I feel I'm an okay hobbiest with the equipment and software that I have.
    My take away from all the reading I've done is framing your shot and focus are your main goals. I try to stick with that and I've gotten some pretty good results over the years. The one other thing that I do is have a plan of shots that I'd like to get before going out. I get better pictures and videos if I do that.

My current setup is a Pixel 2, a large Gorilla Pod tripod, a wide angle Moment lens and phone case and a Joby Bluetooth shutter remote.

I just picked up the shutter remote in the Spring. Before that I would set the timer and count to myself out loud as I ran back to my bike and rode into frame! It takes a lot of tries to get yourself in the frame at the right spot and moment!
    It's so much easier with a remote now! It still has its challenges but it's still better. I've rigged up a way to attach the remote to my bar with elastic bands. It's a little awkward but it gets the job done.

I've just started to take still photos with the remote when riding. Previously I would shoot video and then get screenshots to create stills. But video doesn't always give clear screenshots of the frame/action you want.

If you're curious to see more of my riding photos and videos I've posted quite a bit in a thread over in the Kona forum on this site. The thread is called Some Honzo Riding. I've literally ridden my OG Honzo to death! I'm waiting to find out if I'm getting a new frame. Hopefully, I'll know in the next few days.

Whew! I guess I'll stop here. I could ramble on and on about taking photos and videos!

I'll finish with this photo.
    I find it funny because the battery in the shutter remote had died and what I had resorted to was setting my phone to take continuous photos. I'm running to get my bike in this shot. Sometimes with this setting you end up getting a random picture that turns out pretty good because it just keeps taking photos.

jcd's best friend
    Thanks for the tips! I have a GoPro remote but it's attached to my bike. I thought about trying that out for action shots but I need to plan them out so I don't have to multi-task while riding lol!

I also have this cheesy Chinese bluetooth remote for my phone and I also have a simple tripod too. I tried to take still shots with a GoPro but all it did was blur the rider.

mtbr member
    Cool. You motivated me to order a tripod and try to get some video/pics of myself riding. Literally the only pics I have are from races, and I donít really have any videos either. Do you think an iPhone 7 or GoPro hero4 Black would be better for simple video shots?

mtbr member
    Whatís better than a tripod and an iPhone... is having a friend with a nice camera.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Boardman ripping as the angel boners shine through the trees! So sick!

Bnerd
    Nice looking shots!

I was out about a month back with a friend whose a semi-professional photog. But I have yet to see the pictures.
    I gotta get on him!

Bnerd
    Cool. You motivated me to order a tripod and try to get some video/pics of myself riding. Literally the only pics I have are from races, and I donít really have any videos either. Do you think an iPhone 7 or GoPro hero4 Black would be better for simple video shots?
    As long as the camera can focus properly I'd say use it!
    I read something on a photo blog years ago saying that a dinky 3mp camera shot that's in-focus compared to an out of focus shot from a super high-end camera will win every time.
    As long as the picture is in focus you're winning!

Up until about 2 years ago I was still occasionally using my GoPro Hero. Yes, the original GoPro camera! It did the job even though it didn't have all of the fancy settings and screens of the newer ones.

mtbr member
    Whatís better than a tripod and an iPhone... is having a friend with a nice camera.

Nice

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bnerd
    Not a lot of action but it was icy on today's ride!

A little bike pr0n.

I was really hoping that I'd be riding my snowboard today rather than riding my bike on icy trails. But Ullr has decided that it shouldn't snow.