Sentinel 140 -> 150 link??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sentinel 140 -> 150 link??

There is a rumor floating around that Transition will release a new rocker for the Sentinel that ups the travel to 150.

Anyone heard anything about this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    God I hope so, especially if it makes it more progressive. Provided it doesn't require modifying shock stroke, they will sell buckets of these. I've got an 11-6 on order, and would hate to immediately get it modified.

mtbr member
    Subscribed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    FWIW, I asked Transition about this. Their reply:

"I don't think we'll do any aftermarket rockers for those in particular but there are some cool projects in the works, hopefully have some news a bit later this summer on some of the bikes!"

Mullet Scout/Smuggler incoming?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    New to the forums, wanted to post here after seeing that Alchemy modified their 29er platform to accommodate the 27.5 by changing linkages to create the mullet bike.

Wonder if Transition could accomplish something similar with the Sentinel by modifying the linkage/rear stays to create a 160/160 29/27.5 Sentinel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Can't wait for this... would love an extra 10mm travel out back.

Transition please release a new rear link/stays. I don't know about anyone else but I'd be more than happy to have an extra 5-10mm CS length to get the travel bump. That would only improve an amazing bike even more.

Do it!
    '18 Sentinel
    '19 GT Fury

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    I would love this to be true, but it probably doesn't make financial sense for them to engineer a retrofit when they could sell an all new bike. Sentinel is now 3 model years old with no frame changes, molds and jigs are fully depreciated and competitors have similar designs, so it's time for them to move on to the next big thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Out of curiosity, has anyone tried a longer stroke in there?

Looks like metric shocks have:
    205 x 65 (resultant 158mm travel)
    205 x 60 (resultant 146mm travel)

For mullet-izing:

Drop in an offset bushing or two to bring the BB up.
    Add fork travel (~3mm rise per 10mm length increase)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by whatshubdoc View Post
    Out of curiosity, has anyone tried a longer stroke in there?

Looks like metric shocks have:
    205 x 65 (resultant 158mm travel)
    205 x 60 (resultant 146mm travel)

For mullet-izing:

Drop in an offset bushing or two to bring the BB up.
    Add fork travel (~3mm rise per 10mm length increase)
    Transition will occasionally lurk these forums and tell people specifically not to do this.

If I ever get a chance I'll try removing the spacer from my shock to bring it up to 60mm and see what kind of clearance I have.

Transition has also stated that they won't release a retrofit rocker link for the sentinel, however cascade components has expressed interest in developing such a product.

More likely you're better off selling your frame and buying the next gen sentinel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was curious bc Worldwide Cyclery (as well as other people I've seen locally) have rocked a 210 x 55 shock on the Smuggler, where the stock one is 210 x 50, with no ill effects. That gives the Smuggler 132mm travel, and when paired with a 150mm fork or an Angleset, you get a mini Sentinel.

I haven't ridden a Sentinel or desire to ride one as my terrain doesn't demand it, but I'm always curious what permutations one can have to either "up-bike" or "down-bike" in your garage as you please, so that you can optimize based on your riding locale.

A thought exercise, if nothing more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cascade Components said they will be looking at the Tallboy and Sentinel next. This was as of 6 days ago when I asked on Instagram what they'd be doing next.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B3nnyH View Post
    More likely you're better off selling your frame and buying the next gen sentinel.
    Or new Norco Sight. Those things are available now and absolutely awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whatshubdoc View Post
    I was curious bc Worldwide Cyclery (as well as other people I've seen locally) have rocked a 210 x 55 shock on the Smuggler, where the stock one is 210 x 50, with no ill effects. That gives the Smuggler 132mm travel, and when paired with a 150mm fork or an Angleset, you get a mini Sentinel.
    That is interesting to hear. I might measure my frame up and see if that will work. The DPS in my Smuggler is bloody horrible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    deleted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf View Post
    Cascade Components said they will be looking at the Tallboy and Sentinel next. This was as of 6 days ago when I asked on Instagram what they'd be doing next.
    I will reach out to them as well. Some more progressiveness would be nice and I wouldn't complain about gaining some travel either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf View Post
    The Sentinel is a no brainer frame for the cascade treatment. There’s a ton of them out there and nearly everyone wants a bit more from the rear end of these great bikes. I hope they do offer it. 150 travel with a bit more progression and a 5mil longer rear end sounds perfect to me.

I’m holding off getting my 11-6 serviced until I see what shakes out here. (Or until Transition releases the new Sentinel.) Hoping to ask push to give me a 62.5 stroke back this time.
    '18 Sentinel
    '19 GT Fury

mtbr member

Happened to see on IG yesterday

Sentinel 140 -> 150 link??-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! Can't wait to see all the numbers.

mtbr member
    I think that is the new scout

mtbr member
    I emailed Cascade and he said he will be looking at the Sentinel in this Spring but that he hadn't had a chance to look at the kinematics yet and he couldn't promise what would come of it.

mtbr member
    New Scout geo.

Sentinel 140 -> 150 link??-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by javigutz View Post
    I think that is the new scout
    Would be rad! Looks like it's carbon too. I guess RIP to the short travel Scout and short travel 27.5 trail bikes in general, but there's lots of good used stuff out there.