Scout SBG with 2.8?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Scout SBG with 2.8?

any running their new Scouts this way, or given it a try? i've demo'd a couple bikes with 2.8's and very curious how this would fit and go on my fav bikes from Transition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    any running their new Scouts this way, or given it a try? i've demo'd a couple bikes with 2.8's and very curious how this would fit and go on my fav bikes from Transition.
    In the fall I may try 2.8's if I can find one that is studded. The trail near my house gets groomed for fat bikes in the winter so I was thinking that the 2.8's may have enough float for winter riding.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    In the fall I may try 2.8's if I can find one that is studded. The trail near my house gets groomed for fat bikes in the winter so I was thinking that the 2.8's may have enough float for winter riding.
    FYI, usually, trails that get groomed require a minumum tire width of 3.8. Narrower tires will still rut up freshly groomed trails. You would be better off seeking ungroomed trails after others have packed them in.

Of course, depending on where you live and the kind of snowpack you're dealing with, that simply may not work.

IME, after a few years of riding fat, it seems like 4 inch tires are good for groomers and snow accumulations less than a foot (ungroomed). If you get more, and conditions are more rugged (lots of breaking fresh tracks) you need bigger tires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    no no, i mean for 'regular' mtn biking in the mountainous forest, with Minion 2.8's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    FYI, usually, trails that get groomed require a minumum tire width of 3.8. Narrower tires will still rut up freshly groomed trails. You would be better off seeking ungroomed trails after others have packed them in.

Of course, depending on where you live and the kind of snowpack you're dealing with, that simply may not work.

IME, after a few years of riding fat, it seems like 4 inch tires are good for groomers and snow accumulations less than a foot (ungroomed). If you get more, and conditions are more rugged (lots of breaking fresh tracks) you need bigger tires.

Thanks for the info. The trail gets groomed by a groomer that is made from a cooler and and old kids sled.....itís not really a dedicated fat bike trail. There are more people that use it to walk their dogs than fat bikes. Itís a multi use trail system. Just hoping to get a few more weeks of riding in when the snow comes down and the ground is frozen.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Thanks for the info. The trail gets groomed by a groomer that is made from a cooler and and old kids sled.....itís not really a dedicated fat bike trail. There are more people that use it to walk their dogs than fat bikes. Itís a multi use trail system. Just hoping to get a few more weeks of riding in when the snow comes down and the ground is frozen.
    Not really sure if that is the case that a plus tire is going to do much more for you than a regular tire with deep, open knobs and possibly even studs. You would need trtead like that on pretty much any tire, and not too many plus tires like that on the market. Even the knobbier ones are still fairly closely spaced. Such a tire would be quite draggy on dry trails.