SBG Scout Build Thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SBG Scout Build Thread

Thought I would start a build thread for the SBG Scouts since we have a thread for the OG Scout. I used that original thread to find out a lot of info. It helped me not only decide to buy one, but to also set it up correctly and tweak and tune it to be a great all around bike.

I mistakenly sold that 2015 Scout because I needed a longer travel bike and went with a different brand. The day I sold it I started to miss how much fun that Scout was. I'm happy to be back on a Transition this year. I am currently waiting on my new 2018 Scout GX to be shipped to me.

I wanted to let those of you who may not be familiar with the Crew at Transition that they seem to be a genuine bunch of guys. I have never met any of them in person but spoke with one of the guys today about my order. In the original Scout Build Thread I mentioned that these guys seem to be just a bunch of guys who ride mountain bikes, and build bikes how they want them to be......not what some mega conglomerate thinks they can make the most sales and profit from. I could be totally wrong in this statement....... but pick up the phone and call the factory one day and you will see what I mean. Their answering machine message will give you an indication of what kind of guys they are.

Watch a couple of videos from their website, call and talk with someone about ordering a bike, or call for tech help.......you'll get the idea.

So why am I even writing any of this down? If you are passionate about mountain biking.......shouldn't the company that your buying a bike from be passionate as well?

Anyway, as soon as I get my bike in and build it up I will get some pics up. It's not exactly riding season where I live but just the thought of my new Scout being 1/2 as fun as my OG Scout was I will be happy!

Inside I know it will be 3x as fun though!SBG Scout Build Thread-configutron_scout_4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Thought I would start a build thread for the SBG Scouts since we have a thread for the OG Scout. I used that original thread to find out a lot of info. It helped me not only decide to buy one, but to also set it up correctly and tweak and tune it to be a great all around bike.

I mistakenly sold that 2015 Scout because I needed a longer travel bike and went with a different brand. The day I sold it I started to miss how much fun that Scout was. I'm happy to be back on a Transition this year. I am currently waiting on my new 2018 Scout GX to be shipped to me.

I wanted to let those of you who may not be familiar with the Crew at Transition that they seem to be a genuine bunch of guys. I have never met any of them in person but spoke with one of the guys today about my order. In the original Scout Build Thread I mentioned that these guys seem to be just a bunch of guys who ride mountain bikes, and build bikes how they want them to be......not what some mega conglomerate thinks they can make the most sales and profit from. I could be totally wrong in this statement....... but pick up the phone and call the factory one day and you will see what I mean. Their answering machine message will give you an indication of what kind of guys they are.

Watch a couple of videos from their website, call and talk with someone about ordering a bike, or call for tech help.......you'll get the idea.

So why am I even writing any of this down? If you are passionate about mountain biking.......shouldn't the company that your buying a bike from be passionate as well?

Anyway, as soon as I get my bike in and build it up I will get some pics up. It's not exactly riding season where I live but just the thought of my new Scout being 1/2 as fun as my OG Scout was I will be happy!

Inside I know it will be 3x as fun though!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Configutron_Scout_4.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	1183751
    Hello,
    I'm very happy for you.
    I own a 2015 Scout and I'm very happy with this bike.
    I'm waiting to do a bike test of the Scout SBG 2018 and then buy it.
    What size did you buy?
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gippi1984 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm very happy for you.
    I own a 2015 Scout and I'm very happy with this bike.
    I'm waiting to do a bike test of the Scout SBG 2018 and then buy it.
    What size did you buy?
    How tall are you?
    5 ft 10 inches and went with a large. The Transition website says the SBG have more overlap. My 2015 Scout was a large as well and fit perfect.

SBG Scout Build Thread-sizecapture.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One of the things I did not know when buying the bike online from Transitions website is the bike does not come assembled. When I spoke with Chris from Transition he asked if I knew how to put a bike together? So if you order from their website keep this in mind. Someone from Transition will call after you do your online order and ask.

I actually don't have a headset press so they are supposed to install the headset before it ships which is pretty good.

I ran across this video.....I was wondering why she was building the bike herself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxn0W7eIc8

The two bikes I bought online came nearly fully assembled. One from a large online retailer, one from the bike company itself. All you had to do was install the wheels, seat, and handlebar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    One of the things I did not know when buying the bike online from Transitions website is the bike does not come assembled. When I spoke with Chris from Transition he asked if I knew how to put a bike together? So if you order from their website keep this in mind. Someone from Transition will call after you do your online order and ask.

I actually don't have a headset press so they are supposed to install the headset before it ships which is pretty good.

I ran across this video.....I was wondering why she was building the bike herself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxn0W7eIc8

The two bikes I bought online came nearly fully assembled. One from a large online retailer, one from the bike company itself. All you had to do was install the wheels, seat, and handlebar.

Hello, when you are driving the SBG Scout 2018 let us know how you are and how it goes. Your driving impressions.
    Thanks so much

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Mine has been sitting in my garage on top of my work bench for weeks now. Unridden. Is that a word? Haven't ridden it yet. Cataract surgery a week before I got it and hand surgery next week. FML.

Anyway, I was thinking that for my local trails those Minions might be kind of heavy. Wondering on some good replacements if anyone has a recommendation. Hard pack. Dusty most of the year. Dry, wishing I was in the PNW.

FWIW, I'm 5'7" with about a 31" inseam to the ground and got a Medium. Feels perfect if my ride around the parking lot is good enough to judge on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    Mine has been sitting in my garage on top of my work bench for weeks now. Unridden. Is that a word? Haven't ridden it yet. Cataract surgery a week before I got it and hand surgery next week. FML.
    Just had my left wrist carpal tunnel surgery done, right will be next month. Tried to time it where I could snowmobile...little break....onto the MTB'ing. I live in NY/NE area so our season has awhile before the trails are remotely ready for riding. It takes a long time for them to dry up. Hoping to sneak in a ride before next month.....snow in the forecast for tomorrow, followed by a cool down.

Itching to ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hello, when you are driving the SBG Scout 2018 let us know how you are and how it goes. Your driving impressions.
    Thanks so much
    I will do that

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Mine showed up at the shop I used to hang at in the same manner every other bike did, drive train assembled, head set in with risers and stem attached. You only have to assemble the front wheel and front brake caliper, and then do your adjustments. Maybe it's different when shipped to a shop, but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just had my left wrist carpal tunnel surgery done

Itching to ride!

Same here. Left carpal tunnel with trigger finger release thrown in too. If it solves my problem I'll do the right maybe late Aug when it's too hot here to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mine showed up at the shop I used to hang at in the same manner every other bike did, drive train assembled, head set in with risers and stem attached. You only have to assemble the front wheel and front brake caliper, and then do your adjustments. Maybe it's different when shipped to a shop, but I doubt it.
    Interesting. Where are you located? Wonder if it has to do with country?

Chris from Transition Bikes asked me if I had something to cut the steerer tube, a way to install the headset, and a GXP bottom bracket tool?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I saw this video of someone unboxing an SBG Patrol that was partially/near fully assembled.

https://youtu.be/hAkrFD2GgQ4

I know my invoice has two boxes listed on it, one labeled frame, the other labeled Scout GX 150 parts kit.

I actually donít mind which way it comes in. I plan on throwing some 3m scotchgard on it to protect the paint a bit. If it comes in unassembled it will be easier to wrap it in 3m.

There are some in my riding group that struggle to change a flat.....a bike that needs assembly like this would put them off completely.

Hopefully we can get some clarification to this to help out the community.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Interesting. Where are you located? Wonder if it has to do with country?

Chris from Transition Bikes asked me if I had something to cut the steerer tube, a way to install the headset, and a GXP bottom bracket tool?

I'm in the US. And sorry, I realize my earlier post was a little garbled. For clarification, mine was shipped to the shop where I did the final assembly, and I meant to say that maybe it's different if they ship to your *home*. But I cannot imagine why that would be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey folks -

A little clarification about how we ship our complete bikes; All of our NX models ship roughly 90% assembled in one full size bike box. You'll only need to install the handlebar, seat post, front wheel, and dial it in. Our GX and XO bikes ship in two boxes; a frameset in one and a disassembled parts kit in the other. The parts kit has tires and cassettes installed, but everything else requires a full assembly. This goes both for product sent to a dealer, or direct to customer. We made a special exception for BluePitch as he didn't have the ability to press his headset in.

There are pros and cons to each as BluePitch pointed out. Of course, if you're ever in doubt, we highly recommend seeking the advice of your local bike shop.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hey folks -

A little clarification about how we ship our complete bikes; All of our NX models ship roughly 90% assembled in one full size bike box. You'll only need to install the handlebar, seat post, front wheel, and dial it in. Our GX and XO bikes ship in two boxes; a frameset in one and a disassembled parts kit in the other. The parts kit has tires and cassettes installed, but everything else requires a full assembly. This goes both for product sent to a dealer, or direct to customer. We made a special exception for BluePitch as he didn't have the ability to press his headset in.

There are pros and cons to each as BluePitch pointed out. Of course, if you're ever in doubt, we highly recommend seeking the advice of your local bike shop.

Enjoy!
    Love the fact that you guys not only monitor this forum, but jump in and answer questions like you did. This is one of the reasons I bought another Scout. There is something about buying a bike from a company that actually cares about its end users like this and its certainly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to get my Scout!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hey folks -

A little clarification about how we ship our complete bikes
    Ah, cool. There we go, an answer directly from the man. I guess the fact I got an NX was the key point.

bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    FWIW, I'm 5'7" with about a 31" inseam to the ground and got a Medium. Feels perfect if my ride around the parking lot is good enough to judge on.
    Rdawson808,

Can you do a ride report after you ride it some. I am 5í7Ē and I have been riding a Devinci Troy in a small and I love it. I am desperately waiting for a 2018 Scout NX to get to the lbs for me to try but I think they only ordered a small in. The only reason I havenít bought the troy is I want to try the Scout.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiore View Post
    Rdawson808,

Can you do a ride report after you ride it some. I am 5í7Ē and I have been riding a Devinci Troy in a small and I love it. I am desperately waiting for a 2018 Scout NX to get to the lbs for me to try but I think they only ordered a small in. The only reason I havenít bought the troy is I want to try the Scout.

Thanks!

I'm interested, I'll follow the conversation because I'm 5'65 'tall = 169 cm
    and with the new geometries Scout 2018 I'm undecided between size S or M.
    I own Scout 2015 size M and I am very satisfied, but with SBG I'm undecided about the choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_1693.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Buying from Transition Bikes

Just wanted to mention what great customer service I received from Transition Bikes yesterday.

My Scout GX showed up yesterday, so I played hooky from work and started the build. I ran into an issue with my GX shifter that more than likely was caused by myself. The barrel end of the cable got wedged in the shifter so that the shifter was inoperable. I called Transition looking for tech support but they had gone home for the day. I ended up speaking with my salesman and he immediately offered to help.

Within minutes we where diagnosing and troubleshooting the issue and came up with an alternative plan if I couldnít fix it myself. I ended being able to fix it and everything worked out.

I think that it worth mentioning this for a couple of reasons.

First, do you think you would get this kind of help from one of the larger companies? Sure they have customer support lines but have you ever tried to call them? It takes minutes just to navigate the menu to find help, let alone speak with an actual person.

Second, I spoke with my salesman because tech support left for the day. He was just as knowledgeable as tech support!!!!

There are definite advantages to buying from companies like Transition Bikes......this scenario is one. When the people that work there are actually involved in their product, and know it front to back......makes you feel good about your purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What type of BB does the Scout have? Is it boost?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    What type of BB does the Scout have? Is it boost?
    73mm BSA Threaded. Standard GXP BB, but rear hub is boost 148mm.

I believe boost BB are 92mm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Scout GX build Habanero Orange

SBG Scout Build Thread-img_1738-2-.jpg
    SBG Scout Build Thread-img_1740-2-.jpg
    SBG Scout Build Thread-img_1751-2-.jpg
    SBG Scout Build Thread-img_1756-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Did they change the paint scheme? Everything I have seen, the downtube is orange also with "Transition" in black writing? It is beautiful!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did they change the paint scheme? Everything I have seen, the downtube is orange also with "Transition" in black writing? It is beautiful!!!!!
    Thanks!
    Last years carbon Scout was called blood orange maybe you where looking at that one?

mtbr member
    Might just be the angle of the pic but it looks loooooong!! Interested to hear your thoughts on it once you've had some time in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Might just be the angle of the pic but it looks loooooong!! Interested to hear your thoughts on it once you've had some time in the saddle.
    It's not the pic! It is loooooong!

I just had carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist, go in two weeks for the right. Unless I can sneak a ride in next week I wont get to ride until April.

Most of our trails are used in the winter so the snow gets packed down pretty good. There will be no snow or ice anywhere but in middle of the trail.

I did do the customary driveway, paved road test ride! Intuition tells me its gonna be a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Couple of things I learned when building

I mentioned in a previous post I bought the bike from the Transition website. The GX and X01 builds do not come assembled. So if you decide to go this route there are a couple of things to look out for.

First thing the Reverb dropper line does not come cut to length. I have a Reverb bleed kit mainly because 3 out of 4 I have owned have quit working. Bleeding the lever for the Reverb was no problem, and you can sometimes cut the hose and skip the bleed, but it usually just losses enough oil to affect it a touch. My old Reverbs had the Connectamajig that allowed you to remove the line a couple of times without the bleed. The Reverb I got did not have it though.

The Sram Guide rear brake hose is also uncut, and super long. The front brake did not need to be cut. I have a Shimano bleed kit but no Sram bleed kit. In the parts kit you do get a new barb and olive so if you cut the line you have the necessary parts to connect the line back up. I'm not sure how much not bleeding the brake is affecting performance because I have not had a chance to bed in the pads yet. I will probably end up bleeding that brake though when I get the parts to do so. I can't believe they still use DOT 5.1 fluid!!!!

The chain was actually the correct length.....go figure.

Included in the parts kit were two lengths of soft foam cable wraps. My 2015 Scout had the most annoying cable rattle imaginable. These soft foam cable wraps are just what is needed to keep the derailleur and dropper cables from rattling around in the downtube.........thank you TR for including these!

The cable port covers are also a nice way to keep the cables secure in the frame. Keep in mind though that there are two different sizes of port covers. I nearly threw them in the garbage because I couldn't get it to fit on the cable! The derailleur port cover will not fit the dropper line.......it was kind of late and I didn't make the connection. Once you have them installed you can still slide the cable in and out which is nice. I put my bike on my stand and raise the dropper out of the bike so Im not clamping the post but the base. The ports will make this easier then ever.

Make sure you install the dropper line before you install the bottom bracket. Makes it much easier.

I did have an issue with installing the derailleur line through the swing arm and the chain stay protector. The exit hole on the chain stay protector did not line up with the exit hole. I had to fish the cable out of there with a pick. Not a big deal but the protector is glued into place, so to fish out the line I had to peal off some glue. Maybe starting from the rear of the bike would be better? I started at the front when installing the derailleur cable.

If you buy your Scout at the LBS none of this matters! I do however thoroughly enjoy wrenching on my bikes. Riding is part of the experience, wrenching/upgrading/fixing/customizing is also a part of the experience.....at least for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Rdawson808,

Thanks!
    Yes, I'm happy to do my best. But I'll warn you: 1. it'll probably be 5 weeks or so. I have surgery this week. 2. I'm kind of a mediocre rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Damn that looks nice. I almost went with orange because I like it so much and recently sold a beloved orange bike. But I thought the black looked awesome too. I might regret the lack of color. Hence, my new commuter is going to be bright red. I hope that makes up for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1738 (2).jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	1185098

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice looking Bike! What upgrades did you do for the GX Build? Does the stock Pike come with the orange theme or was that an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanminded View Post
    Nice looking Bike! What upgrades did you do for the GX Build? Does the stock Pike come with the orange theme or was that an upgrade?
    So far I added the TLD ODI grips, Muckynutz fender, 3m Scotchgard protection, and I bought some fork decals off Ebay. I didn't know it at the time but the decals change color in the sunlight? They are deep orange in the shade, then turn yellow/gold in the sunlight.

SBG Scout Build Thread-img_1755-2-.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-img_1745-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ditch your tubes!

I have been running tubeless on my last 3 bikes but never paid attention to the weight of them until tonight. I decided to weigh the tubes that came out of my Scout and both tubes weighed in at 1 pound 2 ounces!!!! The rims on the GX build (E*Thirteen TRS 30mm) already had tubeless rim tape on them, so they where ready to fill with tubeless sealant. I filled each tire with 2 ounces of Stans. If you do the math by going tubeless you take 14 ounces off the bike. That's nearly a pound of weight from the build, and since its in the tires its a very noticeable drop in weight.

Keep in mind I used my kitchen scale......not exactly the most accurate scale out there.

31.6 lbs stock weight minus .875 lbs gives you 30.725 lbs.

Found this video about the new SBG frame weight. I feel good about what the Scout weighs in stock trim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECQGZzjAcdE&t=63s

mtbr member
    Sweet looking Scout build over on Vital
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/P...62/setup,35785

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sweet looking Scout build over on Vital
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/P...62/setup,35785

Pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No ride reports anywhere on this bike, it seems like the focus is on the 29er models. Any indication when the Patrol and Scout will be released in Carbon? Iím interesting in how the Scout compares to the Calling, looking for a ďtrailĒ bike to complement my quiver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidermatt View Post
    No ride reports anywhere on this bike, it seems like the focus is on the 29er models. Any indication when the Patrol and Scout will be released in Carbon? Iím interesting in how the Scout compares to the Calling, looking for a ďtrailĒ bike to complement my quiver.
    I was thinking the same thing! Where are the first ride/impressions from the major sources? I have been trying to follow the Sentinel reviews because they are the only ones out right now for the SBG bikes. The more I read about the SBG on the Sentinel most of the reviewers are saying the same thing......SBG is special. Check out this review by Vital. When I listen to what he has to say I basically imagine everything transfers over to the Scout, but with 27.5 and less travel I imagine the Scout will be just like the original.....very playful....just more capable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CleqWSApX5A

My 2018 SBG Scout has been sitting in my garage since February. Carpal tunnel surgery, and a Northeast winter that wont stop dropping snow hasn't allowed me to get a actual test ride in yet!

I bought my 2015 Scout without a proper test ride, and wow I'm glad I did. That Scout was a great bike......I know the 2018 will be the same.

mtbr member
    Had 2015 Scout, just bought a used SBG. Yes I was skeptical, how can the funnest bike get better? Well the new Scout handles better. I bought a frame and fork and after the build i regretted the decision. Too much incompatiblity between the 15 and 18 Scouts. It would have been way easier to get a complete. The new bike handles awesome though. Super stoked and blown away by the handling. I dropped the fork to 140mm also.
    Last edited by boostin; 03-13-2018 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Had 2015 Scout, just bought a used SBG. Yes I was skeptical, how can the funnest bike get better? Well the new Scout handles better. I bought a frame and fork and after the build i regretted the decision. Too much incompatiblity between the 15 and 18 Scouts. It would have been way easier to get a complete. The new bike handles awesome though. Super stoked and blown away by the handling. I dropped the fork to 140mm also.
    Did you run your fork with the stock offset from your 15, or did you swap it out for the 37mm offset?

mtbr member
    Its the reduced offset fork.

Monkey
    Apr 2004
    Does Transition sell short offset Pike CSU, or only complete fork?

Already on a 35mm stem on my XL 2017 Scout. Wondering if I could get some of the SBG magic with a shorter offset fork...
    Last edited by Jozz; 03-16-2018 at 07:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Does Transition sell short offset Pike CSU, or only complete fork?

Already on a 35mm stem on my XL 2017 Scout. Wondering if I could get some of the SBG magic with a shorter offset fork...
    They have completes from what I understand, but the CSU you might have to source elsewhere. Give them a call or shoot them an email and ask.

I don't think going with a reduced offset fork is going to give you the SBG magic......I think your HA is going to stay the same, and wheelbase is going to shorten. Might make it quicker turning at slow speed, but less stable at full speed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    They have completes from what I understand, but the CSU you might have to source elsewhere. Give them a call or shoot them an email and ask.

I don't think going with a reduced offset fork is going to give you the SBG magic......I think your HA is going to stay the same, and wheelbase is going to shorten. Might make it quicker turning at slow speed, but less stable at full speed?
    It's all part of the system. The shorter offset is designed for a significantly slacker head angle, longer reach, etc. Shorter offset on normal geo will just make the bike feel super short and tuck the wheel closer to your mass, likely making the bike a little more eager to chuck you over the bars...

Putting in a 1-1.5* angleset in the frame could make things more interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How much rebound are u guys running on your new scouts? Weight, sag, and rebound, if u don't mind. Im still getting mine dialed, but I seem to be running a bit slower then my previous scout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Super excited the lbs is finally getting a small scout for me to try. Ships tomorrow and they should have it next week. It is the last bike I try before I buy. It is pretty much between the Devinci Troy and Scout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by carwash1 View Post
    How much rebound are u guys running on your new scouts? Weight, sag, and rebound, if u don't mind. Im still getting mine dialed, but I seem to be running a bit slower then my previous scout.
    Weíve had three NoríEasters here this March. Trails arenít anywhere near ready for riding. Canít help just yet.

mtbr member
    ordered my scout last week and patiently awaiting it's arrival hopefully in the next two weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have been running tubeless on my last 3 bikes but never paid attention to the weight of them until tonight. I decided to weigh the tubes that came out of my Scout and both tubes weighed in at 1 pound 2 ounces!!!! The rims on the GX build (E*Thirteen TRS 30mm) already had tubeless rim tape on them, so they where ready to fill with tubeless sealant. I filled each tire with 2 ounces of Stans. If you do the math by going tubeless you take 14 ounces off the bike. That's nearly a pound of weight from the build, and since its in the tires its a very noticeable drop in weight.

Keep in mind I used my kitchen scale......not exactly the most accurate scale out there.

31.6 lbs stock weight minus .875 lbs gives you 30.725 lbs.

Found this video about the new SBG frame weight. I feel good about what the Scout weighs in stock trim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECQGZzjAcdE&t=63s
    Actually put my bike on a scale the other day.

The 31.6lbs must be for the size medium GX build.

My Scout is a large GX build. No pedals 32.32lbs

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_1853.jpg
    SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_1852.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    How much less for the top line X01 build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Nevermind I see on the website 0.4 lbs

mtbr member
    I'm really interested in finally pulling the trigger on a new bike, and I've focused on the Scout.

The only dealer within two hours drive who sells Transition doesn't have any Scouts in stock to check out, and they only had one Sentinel that was already picked up by a customer. They say even if they did they're not going to have any for demos. Was really hoping Transition was going to be at Dirt Fest PA this year so I could get on one, but on their site it looks like they're only going to the West Virginia Dirt Fest, which isn't until July (and also 4+ hours away).

I'm pretty confident that I'll like just about anything they produce, but with the big changes in the 2018, I'm not ready to make a purchase and hope for the best. Seems like actually finding Transition bikes anywhere is the hardest part. Maybe someday I'll see one.

I guess there's not much point to this post but to complain Just really psyched on this new Scout and jealous that other people can actually get their hands on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    I'm really interested in finally pulling the trigger on a new bike, and I've focused on the Scout.

The only dealer within two hours drive who sells Transition doesn't have any Scouts in stock to check out, and they only had one Sentinel that was already picked up by a customer. They say even if they did they're not going to have any for demos. Was really hoping Transition was going to be at Dirt Fest PA this year so I could get on one, but on their site it looks like they're only going to the West Virginia Dirt Fest, which isn't until July (and also 4+ hours away).

I'm pretty confident that I'll like just about anything they produce, but with the big changes in the 2018, I'm not ready to make a purchase and hope for the best. Seems like actually finding Transition bikes anywhere is the hardest part. Maybe someday I'll see one.

I guess there's not much point to this post but to complain Just really psyched on this new Scout and jealous that other people can actually get their hands on them.
    I certainly understand where youíre coming from. I bought my 2015 Scout by taking a parking lot demo ride on Scout that was already sold. Parking lot demos really only tell you if the size is right. It really doesnít tell you anything about the bike. Despite this I was willing to take a chance and I was glad I did! Great bike! I based my decision on a few of the reviews about the bike.

I bought my 2018 Scout without any test ride, or parking lot test ride. Right now there are not any significant reviews out either. There are a few from owners but not from any of the bigger publications. This was an even bigger leap of faith.

You kind of have to believe the hype that the guys at Transition are on to something with SBG. It makes sense to me, not everyone is going believe it or like it.

There arenít a lot of dealers in the Northeast. If your ever coming through Upstate New York Iíll let you take out mine for a spin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Got the call from the LBS, Scout is in and I can pick it up Wednesday afternoon for a test ride and buy if I like it as much as I think I will. VERY excited!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Some awesome Scout builds on here guys, glad I stumbled up on this thread. Finishing up my '18 Scout build and, at least as far as front yards go, this thing is a shredder! In all seriousness, the SBG already stands out and feels amazing. Don't tell my wife, but I suspect my '16 Capra will soon be replaced by an '18 Patrol.

Just waiting on a RC2 damper (currently Fit4) and 37mm rake CSU, blackout decals for the DPX2, and custom black/graphite/turquoise decals for the hoops, before calling it a day.

One thing I'd mention to those of us (unexplainably) memorized by Kashima is that sourcing a Kashima 37mm CSU for an '18 Float 36 is--to put it lightly--a pain in the &%# and will require creativity, a mortgage payment's worth of extra cash, and several hours of your life. On the other hand, getting a 37mm rake CSU with black/PE stanchions requires only the following: telephone, major debit/credit card, mailing address (i.e., only marginally more difficult than buying the PE Float 36 with reduced offset directly from TR at the outset). Wish I would've realized this sooner.

Hoping to snap some better pics soon, but you get the idea...

SBG Scout Build Thread-01a448d3-2785-492f-83c6-90a83a4941a1.jpgSBG Scout Build Thread-d81d01d6-68d3-47ca-bd16-3e4a8805cce3.jpgSBG Scout Build Thread-img_0256.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshox007 View Post
    Some awesome Scout builds on here guys, glad I stumbled up on this thread. Finishing up my '18 Scout build and, at least as far as front yards go, this thing is a shredder! In all seriousness, the SBG already stands out and feels amazing. Don't tell my wife, but I suspect my '16 Capra will soon be replaced by an '18 Patrol.

Just waiting on a RC2 damper (currently Fit4) and 37mm rake CSU, blackout decals for the DPX2, and custom black/graphite/turquoise decals for the hoops, before calling it a day.

One thing I'd mention to those of us (unexplainably) memorized by Kashima is that sourcing a Kashima 37mm CSU for an '18 Float 36 is--to put it lightly--a pain in the &%# and will require creativity, a mortgage payment's worth of extra cash, and several hours of your life. On the other hand, getting a 37mm rake CSU with black/PE stanchions requires only the following: telephone, major debit/credit card, mailing address (i.e., only marginally more difficult than buying the PE Float 36 with reduced offset directly from TR at the outset). Wish I would've realized this sooner.

Hoping to snap some better pics soon, but you get the idea...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]!!!!!![/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]!!!!!!!![/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]!!!!!!!!!![/ATTACH]

Whole lotta awesome in those pics right there!

With my problem of finding Transition bikes anywhere like I mentioned above, it's tough to get an idea of what each color looks like from marketing photos alone. I wasn't totally sold on the Black Powder with everything else blacked out, but the kash really gives it a different look that pops. Being an auto paint and powder coating guy is great sometimes, but it's crap when you see so many great colors and can't make up your mind!

How much "extra cash" are we talking about to find the 37mm kashima CSU? What about the creativity, did you just have to go to Fox directly or hand a wad of $100s to a guy in a dark alley?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So I finally got to take out the small Scout. It was amazing. Personal record going up the first hill, tied for my fastest time coming down and I felt I was being cautious as I didnít own it yet and didnít want to wreck and it was the first time riding it. It was a dream to ride! Sooooo much fun, so I bought it!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBG Scout Build Thread-7cc17fd2-2525-4cc9-9881-9c37723b7dc6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So I finally got to take out the small Scout. It was amazing. Personal record going up the first hill, tied for my fastest time coming down and I felt I was being cautious as I didnít own it yet and didnít want to wreck and it was the first time riding it. It was a dream to ride! Sooooo much fun, so I bought it!!!!!!
    Hello, how tall are you?
    What is your inseam? What saddle height do you pedal?
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hello, how tall are you?
    What is your inseam? What saddle height do you pedal?
    Thank you
    I am 5'6"-5'7" with a 31" inseam. I don't know my saddle height off the top of my head. I am a smaller guy, I only weigh 130 pounds, so I am small framed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Don't let the geo chart fool you!

SBG Scout Build Thread-img_2022.jpg

Winters in the Northeast are long, and it takes awhile for our trails to dry out. Finally got a ride on the only trail in the area that a ride was possible. This trail is a very mellow and not very technical.......so if your reading this to find out how the new Scout handles the gnar and chunk your gonna be disappointed.

This ride today was very meaningful however, and it put me at ease with the one thing that I was nervous about buying a bike without a test ride.

How does it handle with the new SBG geo? We know that its very capable, and watched the video of "Searching for the limit/Transition Scout." In reality though I wanted to know how it pedals, how it climbs, and how it turns with a 65 degree HA and 1218mm wheelbase!

I owned the original Scout in 2015 and loved that bike. It was the most playful, poppy, quick turning bike that could handle its own when things got fast and hectic.

A friend of mine took me to a bike park one weekend and while I was thoroughly enjoying the Scout at the park, I convinced myself that I needed a long travel park bike that could pedal around the trails as well. I bought a SC Nomad 3 and loved that bike at the park, but when it came to the mellower trails and climbing it was more like exercise than riding for fun. You had to be going at mach speed to enjoy the Nomad, if you weren't it didn't put a smile on my face like my Scout did. I even tried a SC 5010 V2 and that bike while a better climber and better pedaling bike, it still did not have the same feeling of the Scout.

When I heard that Transition had a new Scout coming out I looked at the geo chart and said no way is that thing going to be as playful as the original.

--------------------OG--Scout-------SBG Scout---------Nomad
    Wheelbase-------------1176-----------1218-------------1195
    Chainstay---------------425-------------425--------------433
    HA------------------------67--------------65----------------65
    Reach-------------------457-------------475--------------437
    STA---------------------74.9--------------75-------------74.2

If I went by the geo chart the Scout SBG had the same HA and a longer wheelbase than my Nomad.....it must pedal around the trails like a battleship!

That fear was put to rest today. It pedals and turns, and acts just like the original. Climbing however is improved over the original.

Very hard to explain the feeling, but when I pedaled around my Nomad the bike wanted to flop, stall, and tip to the side when making slow speed corrections. The SBG Scout has none of these characteristics....just feels like a regular bike!

I even had the opportunity to ride with the guy who bought my 15 Scout and we traded bikes for a couple sections of the trail. There is not a whole lot of difference when switching back and forth. Unfortunately being out of shape and exhausted from it being the first time out I couldn't get a super detailed feel for the bike but will put it this way.

If you own a OG Scout and are looking for a bike that will be similar to what your used to, but have subtle improvements in not only climbing, but descending........this bike is it. When you get on the OG Scout then try the SBG Scout there's no "big adjustment" or "wow this thing feels strange".....it just feels normal.

Don't be scared by the geo chart like I was......it doesn't tell the true story of how the bike rides.
    Last edited by BluePitch; 04-01-2018 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    question about big rubber for you guys. has anyone tried 2.8 tires on the new Scout? they are said to fit, but i'm not sure. i can't help but wonder how 2.8 Minions (or Butchers) would ride on this bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post

Whole lotta awesome in those pics right there!

With my problem of finding Transition bikes anywhere like I mentioned above, it's tough to get an idea of what each color looks like from marketing photos alone. I wasn't totally sold on the Black Powder with everything else blacked out, but the kash really gives it a different look that pops. Being an auto paint and powder coating guy is great sometimes, but it's crap when you see so many great colors and can't make up your mind!

How much "extra cash" are we talking about to find the 37mm kashima CSU? What about the creativity, did you just have to go to Fox directly or hand a wad of $100s to a guy in a dark alley?
    Thanks for the kind words. Totally agree that the Kash adds something different and unique to the black powder frame. Trivial and superficial? Absolutely. But if I'd cared enough to have done it differently, I doubt I'd be on a TR in the first place.

As far as getting the reduced offset with Kashima, I'm happy to elaborate on what I found/did if you want to just shoot me a PM. I should clarify that, as far as I'm aware, the difficulty sourcing a Kashima CSU with 37mm rake is largely unique to recent (e.g., '16-'18 Float Factory) forks with BOOST spacing. I'd confirm with Fox before shelling out $1k on a new fork, but I believe getting a 37mm Kashima CSU on a new(er) Float Factory with standard thru-axle spacing is as easy as calling Fox service (directly or thru LBS) and ordering it. Since they produce 26" Floats @150mm (just not in 110x15), they stock the correct CSU's for purchase. The Performance Elite CSU in 37mm rake (and boost spacing) was around $360, so I suspect a non-boost with Kashima would run around the same. Of course, this leaves you running a non-boost/boost setup front and rear, respectively, but I don't know of any problems caused by doing so, other than the possible headache of sourcing/buying/building a wheel set with non-uniform standards.

Fox doesn't offer any solutions off the shelf or otherwise to do this on a boost fork, at least when I went through the process. So the non-Fox options are few and far between (virtually nonexistent), and not what I'd consider ideal in the least. But like I said, happy to provide details via PM if you'd like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    question about big rubber for you guys. has anyone tried 2.8 tires on the new Scout? they are said to fit, but i'm not sure. i can't help but wonder how 2.8 Minions (or Butchers) would ride on this bike....
    Judging by how this bike has been only out for a relatively short time, and not that many people who have purchased, ridden, and contributed their reviews to this forum thread I would say you should be the first to go this route and let us know the results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Iíve been on mine for around 200 miles, couple of things. The stock rear hub on the Gx build, this was described in the old scout build thread, occasionally there is a weird pop noise when laying down power, it doesnít appear to be a problem but others have reported it as well, I even had my wheel trued just to be sure it wasnít loose spokes.
    As far as the dropper goes. Do yourself a favor. Replace the hydro line with wolftooth cable Sustain. I have had the reverb 1x lever since I bought it and it never ran right, I bled it around 8 different times. The sustain wasnít a hard installation and my post comes up with a bang now, every single time...

Water, if you wash frequently I would suggest taking a little tape and putting it over the internal routing ports, I have already replaced a bb, water was sitting in the DT and working itís way into the BB. On pinkbike thread, one guy drilled a small drain hole in his bb shell to alleviate this problem. I have been hesitant to do that for a number of reasons. I doubt that would be a smart move warranty wise but havenít asked TR about it...

Aside from that I love the bike, no other issues to report. It doesnít ride or climb for how heavy it is. I run tubeless rekon and minion dhf in 2.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    @cunningstunts do you want pics of 2.6 clearance? Only issue I can see for 2.8 is the wheel width is not optimal

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    One more thing. The Anvl saddle that came with has developed a loud creak under the nose, replaced it with a wtb I had laying around for now. Plan on getting a fabric radius saddle soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    would be great if you don't mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    as soon as I get back by the house ill get it done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sorry sheís a lil nasty tonight

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sweet, room for days. i actually went down to the LBS after work and took a 2.8 wheel off a hardtail and put it on the Scout on the floor to see for myself. not a problem at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Only thing I would consider is rim internal width, before the scout I had 3.0s on 45mm rims and 2.8s seem to need 35-40mm to get the most benefit imo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    Iíve been on mine for around 200 miles, couple of things. The stock rear hub on the Gx build, this was described in the old scout build thread, occasionally there is a weird pop noise when laying down power, it doesnít appear to be a problem but others have reported it as well, I even had my wheel trued just to be sure it wasnít loose spokes.
    I wish I knew what is causing this. Today I had it happen multiple times. The first time it happened on the way to the trail, on a sidewalk casually pedaling to the trail. Then 3 more times when on the trail. I don't know if its coming from the hub, derailleur, spoke, or something else. There are reports that the Novatech hubs had some pawl issues and hope this is not related. Its too early in the season to have to worry about a hub that's ready to lose a pawl on the trail.

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/ho...g-1033177.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/no...s-1059901.html
    Last edited by BluePitch; 04-08-2018 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Mine was doing it really bad on my last ride as well. I had my wheel trued to make sure it wasnít a loose spoke because that is the sound it reminds me of. Iíve checked everything possible to check including all derailleur and pivot bolts with a torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I emailed TR about it once but they didnít seem to know what it could be. I suspect itís the hub, not sure what they can do until it fails or gets much worse

mtbr member
    Nothing special just another scout and have only had it out for a few rides but enjoyed it so far.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As I get more rides on my SBG Scout there is one thing I think needs mentioning. The front end on this bike has such a unique feeling, in a good way. Its hard to actually describe but I will attempt to do so. The first time I really noticed it was when I came to a stop and tried a track stand. It has such a positive feeling, like you could hold that track stand forever without a lot of handlebar input. This unique feeling occurs anytime you approach and obstacle, techy sections, climb, etc and gives you a lot more confidence that you can control that front end and get over that part of the trail. Downed logs, rocks and huge roots you have so much more control of the front end its very surprising. My previous bike a Nomad 3 you couldn't ride that bike on the same trails as easily. It always gave the felling that you were gonna stop, flop or stall, if you didn't hit the trail at mach speed. The combo of short chainstays, HA, and STA really give this bike a positive riding feeling. SBG....so far so good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    man i gotta try one. i'm nearly convinced it's my next bike. i've become enamoured of 2.8 tires and the Scout fits them no problem. i liked the original scout but i think the changes made to the new one are right up my alley and would make the bike as good in the rough and steeps as my Patrol, but better on more regular trails and probably climbing. demo as soon as i can...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Update for the Hub issue, I got a video yesterday of the clunking sound previously described from my hub, Sent it to TR, they said its the hub and to do a direct replacement through Novatec RMA. Im half tempted to get a DT350 and forget about the novatec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    See my post about this today.

I wish I knew what is causing this. Today I had it happen multiple times. The first time it happened on the way to the trail, on a sidewalk casually pedaling to the trail. Then 3 more times when on the trail. I don't know if its coming from the hub, derailleur, spoke, or something else. There are reports that the Novatech hubs had some pawl issues and hope this is not related. Its too early in the season to have to worry about a hub that's ready to lose a pawl on the trail.

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/ho...g-1033177.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/no...s-1059901.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Update for the Hub issue, I got a video yesterday of the clunking sound previously described from my hub, Sent it to TR, they said its the hub and to do a direct replacement through Novatec RMA. Im half tempted to get a DT350 and forget about the novatec.
    Just went to the Novatech RMA site and the hub on the GX build is not on the site? D462SB-SL-B12.

How can you fill out the form if the hub is not on there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have no idea, and TR sent me on my way.... I can ask

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    To be honest I feel like TR should replace it and let me send the junked one back to them to handle but that doesnít appear to be the way this work

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    To be honest I feel like TR should replace it and let me send the junked one back to them to handle but that doesnít appear to be the way this work

The problem of doing an RMA with Novatech will be you have to send them the hub for inspection/service which means you gotta take the hub off of the wheel. They may allow you to send in the whole wheel but in either scenario you are out of commission while the wheel is being shipped back and forth. The shipping cost to them comes out of my pocket as well, so I don't want to send in the whole wheel. This is one of those scenarios where buying from a bike shop is actually better than the online method. I guess I could drive the bike to the nearest Transition Bike Shop and let them take a look. That's a 1 1/2hr drive one way. I think I'm gonna ride this wheel until the hub implodes.

The funny thing with this hub, I thought I would pull the cassette off the bike and do an inspection of the pawls and ratchet ring to see if everything was where it should and I actually broke my cassette removal tool.

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2113.jpg

That cassette was so damn tight it broke the removal tool? So yes this tool was for the 9mm axle and I thought I should buy the 12mm version which I did. It took around 15 minutes to loosen the cassette with the 12mm version. There is no reason for that cassette to be that tight on the SRAM driver!!!!! When I was loosening it guess what noise I heard? The same pang like it makes when pedaling. I think this hub might just be a turd from the get go. Possibly the ratchet ring is moving around the hub body? After I cleaned, inspected, and re lubed the pawls and ratchet ring the hub was panging away on the trail today just like before. Garbage hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Despite the hub panging around all day the bike is nearly silent, which is important to me. Today the lace of my shoe came loose and every pedal stroke it hit my shoe and tapped.......glad it was just the lace!

I still haven't been able to take it down some super technical stuff, or get it up to speed yet but the bike is continually impressing me with it handling manners. I had a couple short climbs today with some uphill switchbacks that normally cause me to overthink which is the best line......didn't have to choose the line.....the front end is glued. No wheel flop, no wheel pick up, and very little spin outs. Really liking the climbing manners so far.

The front end however will lift.......very easily when you want it to!

SBG Scout Build Thread-img_e2103.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah Iím going ahead with replacing with a DT350, Iíve got a trip at the end of the month and I donít want it to crater on that trip. So once the old hub is off I will decide whether to do an RMA on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I bought mine through a bike shop, but not local at all. So I may contact them and see if they will do the warranty on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Besides that and the drain hole thing I really like the bike, Iíve been having a blast on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what is the drain hole thing??

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    what is the drain hole thing??
    There is none.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

SBG Scout Build Thread

And if you wash often or ride in the rain a lot you will ruin bottom brackets often. I went through one in 100 mi. The new one got lubed up like a candy apple. And I tape over routing ports before a wash. Some dude on pink bike drilled a hole in his shell. I would be concerned with warranty but I could ask TR

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i had no idea. i have 2 trannys and ride in the wet constantly as i live in a rainforest. i guess the previous models have drain holes, i'm going to have a look. i've not heard of this issue and there's lots of trannys around here.

mtbr member
    I find it hard to imagine a ~3mm hole in the bb shell would compromise the integrity of such a burly frame to the point where it becomes a warranty issue, but it would probably pay to check with Transition just to be safe. IMO it would be a pretty bad look to not warranty a frame that has broken somewhere else [eg stays or HT] because of a drilled bb shell.

Do the carbon frames or other alloy models have a drain hole?

mtbr member
    Got on the list for a medium GX build in orange, also on kind of a blind leap 'cuz also in Upstate NY. Stoked! Should ship early May.

I got to ride a Gen1 Scout in Bellingham a couple years back; ultimate fun machine. Can't wait to shred the East on one :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    And if you wash often or ride in the rain a lot you will ruin bottom brackets often. I went through one in 100 mi. The new one got lubed up like a candy apple. And I tape over routing ports before a wash. Some dude on pink bike drilled a hole in his shell. I would be concerned with warranty but I could ask TR

Took out my BB today and there was a small amount of water in there, but it was not in the BB, but in the downtube. Not enough to cause much concern....but I don't live in a rain forest. Put some extra grease on the inside of the BB.

Any chance the water is coming because your dust sleeve didn't go on correctly or it was missing?

The dust seal seamed to be keeping it on the outer shell of the BB, not near the bearings.

SBG Scout Build Thread-onecol.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ecodoug View Post
    Got on the list for a medium GX build in orange, also on kind of a blind leap 'cuz also in Upstate NY. Stoked! Should ship early May.

I got to ride a Gen1 Scout in Bellingham a couple years back; ultimate fun machine. Can't wait to shred the East on one :-)
    Upstate NY doesn't have many options. There is a shop in Mass but I never knew he was a Transition Dealer, he sells motorcycles mainly.

Vermont has a few, that's where I got my 2015 scout.

Where in Upstate are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Took out my BB today and there was a small amount of water in there, but it was not in the BB, but in the downtube. Not enough to cause much concern....but I don't live in a rain forest. Put some extra grease on the inside of the BB.

Any chance the water is coming because your dust sleeve didn't go on correctly or it was missing?

The dust seal seamed to be keeping it on the outer shell of the BB, not near the bearings.

Name:	ONECOL.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1194629
    The dust seal was there, installed as it should have been. I have noticed that hanging the bike upside down letís the water come out of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Where in Upstate are you?
    Up near Syracuse. I ride Skytop most often; lots of low speed tech with some DIY freeride features and occasional chunky steeps on account of it being an old quarry.

Trying to branch out with some trips to the Adirondacks and VT/MA/NH/NJ/PA this year to ride more techy stuff with more vertical :-) My brother lives in Washington State; been getting out there for a riding vacation the last couple years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Up near Syracuse. I ride Skytop most often; lots of low speed tech with some DIY freeride features and occasional chunky steeps on account of it being an old quarry.

Trying to branch out with some trips to the Adirondacks and VT/MA/NH/NJ/PA this year to ride more techy stuff with more vertical :-) My brother lives in Washington State; been getting out there for a riding vacation the last couple years.
    Gotcha, when I hear Upstate I think about where I live (North of Albany). The shops I mentioned are no where near you.

Lots of riding over here, we are at foothills of the Adirondack Park so the trails are old school hiking/horseback/atv/snowmobile with lots of roots,rocks and techy stuff. Very close to the VT border so there is some great riding there too including Pine Hills Rutland, Killington MTB Park and Kingdom Trails.

The Scout really covers most of the riding we do very nicely. Great all around New York/New England bike.

mtbr member
    As far as the dropper goes. Do yourself a favor. Replace the hydro line with wolftooth cable Sustain. I have had the reverb 1x lever since I bought it and it never ran right, I bled it around 8 different times. The sustain wasnít a hard installation and my post comes up with a bang now, every single time...
    Good tip, I think I'm gonna go with a Wolf Tooth remote.

Question for anyone with GX/XO1 builds: are the Guide brakes that come with the parts package Matchmaker-ready? Or will I have to get the special Matchmaker clamps separately? Not as familiar with the Sram controls ecosystem as I am Shimano.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good tip, I think I'm gonna go with a Wolf Tooth remote.

Question for anyone with GX/XO1 builds: are the Guide brakes that come with the parts package Matchmaker-ready? Or will I have to get the special Matchmaker clamps separately? Not as familiar with the Sram controls ecosystem as I am Shimano.
    On my GX build the right brake had the matchmaker to mount the shifter.

The left brake the Reverb lever mounted directly to the brake.

Iím normally a Shimano guy so I donít know if that answers your question, so Iíll throw up some pics.

SBG Scout Build Thread-dce6eae3-c1bf-496b-96b5-90fe46144c11.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-b87cd6e4-2b4d-4ac2-bdbd-870bdfd3d219.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the pics! Looks like they're ready as-is for Matchmaker integration, good stuff.

Just got confirmation today that the Scout GX parts package came into stock and my order is getting processed! Stoke barometer is rising :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Awesome, thanks for the pics! Looks like they're ready as-is for Matchmaker integration, good stuff.

Just got confirmation today that the Scout GX parts package came into stock and my order is getting processed! Stoke barometer is rising :-)
    Yes they are. Exciting time, when you get it just knock a little scratch on there, gets you over worrying about paint early haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This bike continues to impress me. Every ride it gets better and better! SBG is kind of like cheating.

mtbr member
    This bike continues to impress me. Every ride it gets better and better! SBG is kind of like cheating.

puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I didn't love the shock. It felt great when riding super hard, but a little dead/harsh cruising around. I got it tuned at Avalanche and it feels incredible now. Gave back the playfulness the previous version had, but in a burlier, more stable package.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I didn't love the shock. It felt great when riding super hard, but a little dead/harsh cruising around. I got it tuned at Avalanche and it feels incredible now. Gave back the playfulness the previous version had, but in a burlier, more stable package.
    Are you talking about the dpx2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One of the things that I liked about my OG Scout and now my SBG Scout is how easy the rear shock is to set up and tune. Basically set sag by correct pressure and then adjust rebound and I havenít thought about changing it in any way. I know everyone likes their suspension set up to their liking, but the stock set up for me nearly covers all the different riding I do.

Iíve had other bikes that took a lot longer to find not only the right shock, but the right tune for the shock. Giddy Up is a lot easier to find the sweet spot for me.

mtbr member
    Finally got my SBG Scout GX built up, and thought I'd share some thoughts and observations:
    • Transition were excellent to deal with when buying direct!
    • For GX and XO1 completes (maybe NX too?), you'll need to supply your own tubeless valves. I went with the e13 jawns.
    • Wolf Tooth ReMote Sustain kit: modding the Reverb with this actuator kit was easy, but the final setup was a little tricky IMO. The Sustain mechanism fixes the cable and pushes on the housing for actuation, but the long internal dropper cable run and the sharp bend inside the bottom bracket add up to a lot of friction. Once the cable was routed (a challenge in itself), it took me a couple tries to get it all working together: 1) push housing out of seat tube, 2) rest the delrin Sustain actuating fork atop housing, 3) gently push the post and housing down while pulling housing out of the headtube port, and 4) fix the cable at the remote lever without pulling any additional housing.
    • Dental floss & vacuum trick worked well for the shifter housing run through the chainstay.
    • After reading so much about Transition's paint, I got a cheapie kit of pre-cut 3M Paint Protection Film on the ol' a-zon (search "Precut Bike Protective Tape"). The universal shapes were pretty useful and the film was easy to cut to size, but you could do this just as easily with a bulk roll. Wet installation with the blue 3M tool + some patience wasn't bad at all. Was mostly concerned about the top tube and knee pad rub, but I covered some other potential wear/chip spots as well.

Now the trails just need to dry up so I can ride the thing! Will post pics when I get it outside. Thanks for the tips from this thread!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Finally got my SBG Scout GX built up, and thought I'd share some thoughts and observations:
    • Transition were excellent to deal with when buying direct!
    • For GX and XO1 completes (maybe NX too?), you'll need to supply your own tubeless valves. I went with the e13 jawns.
    • Wolf Tooth ReMote Sustain kit: modding the Reverb with this actuator kit was easy, but the final setup was a little tricky IMO. The Sustain mechanism fixes the cable and pushes on the housing for actuation, but the long internal dropper cable run and the sharp bend inside the bottom bracket add up to a lot of friction. Once the cable was routed (a challenge in itself), it took me a couple tries to get it all working together: 1) push housing out of seat tube, 2) rest the delrin Sustain actuating fork atop housing, 3) gently push the post and housing down while pulling housing out of the headtube port, and 4) fix the cable at the remote lever without pulling any additional housing.
    • Dental floss & vacuum trick worked well for the shifter housing run through the chainstay.
    • After reading so much about Transition's paint, I got a cheapie kit of pre-cut 3M Paint Protection Film on the ol' a-zon (search "Precut Bike Protective Tape"). The universal shapes were pretty useful and the film was easy to cut to size, but you could do this just as easily with a bulk roll. Wet installation with the blue 3M tool + some patience wasn't bad at all. Was mostly concerned about the top tube and knee pad rub, but I covered some other potential wear/chip spots as well.

Now the trails just need to dry up so I can ride the thing! Will post pics when I get it outside. Thanks for the tips from this thread!
    Yeah that run for the dropper is a pita, however even with a little More friction itís better than hydro! I just lifted up the chainstay pad and fished it that way. TR said if the pad doesnít stick to use a little gorilla glue.

Make sure and check the bb after a couple washes mine was holding water...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [*]Dental floss & vacuum trick worked well for the shifter housing run through the chainstay.[/LIST]
    I think the trick is to start at the chainstay and push it up to headtube, instead of starting near headtube and pushing it down to chainstay.

It never occurred to me to try this but makes sense if I ever have to replace the housing. Eliminates trying to fish it through the rubber grommet

mtbr member
    Yeah that run for the dropper is a pita, however even with a little More friction itís better than hydro!
    Oh yeah, for sure! After a dozen or so actuations, it's working well now. Certainly glad to have one less bleed kit to buy, and one less maintenance item I know I would put off.

Make sure and check the bb after a couple washes mine was holding water...
    Forgot to mention that my frame came with a BB drain hole! They must have done a running change for this most recent batch. I hope they fix the issue for you guys with early-batch frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Forgot to mention that my frame came with a BB drain hole! They must have done a running change for this most recent batch. I hope they fix the issue for you guys with early-batch frames.
    Would you mind taking a pic of your BB hole. I just want to get an idea of where itís located.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Would you mind taking a pic of your BB hole. I just want to get an idea of where itís located.
    Thats a bit private mate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Thats a bit private mate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    A question,

In all reviews it is commented that the Scout is noted as having more suspension than it really has. But the reality looking at the Linkage is that it is an almost linear system, so I find this statement strange.

Of other bikes the same thing is said, for example Evil The Calling, but in that case it makes sense since it is a very progressive system.

Is it really hard to get the rubber on the Scout or is it pure marketing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bartmikel View Post
    A question,

In all reviews it is commented that the Scout is noted as having more suspension than it really has. But the reality looking at the Linkage is that it is an almost linear system, so I find this statement strange.

Of other bikes the same thing is said, for example Evil The Calling, but in that case it makes sense since it is a very progressive system.

Is it really hard to get the rubber on the Scout or is it pure marketing?
    For the third time.......it rides bigger than a 130mm bike! How can you judge a suspension by looking at the linkage?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry to repeat me. There are three post of Scout and I wanted as many opinions as possible.I'm between Transition and Evil

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bartmikel View Post
    Sorry to repeat me. There are three post of Scout and I wanted as many opinions as possible.I'm between Transition and Evil
    I was just being sarcastic.......I saw all three posts. Just for reference sake I owned a 2015 and now a 2018 SBG. Here's a pic of them.

SBG Scout Build Thread-img_2022.jpg

I rode the 2015 in just about every imaginable type of terrain, from mellow trails to bike park duty. It will surprise you what the bike can do.

My 2018 I have only had for 4 months now so it hasn't been to the bike park yet but everywhere else its proving to be a better bike than the 2015.

150mm/130mm travel on a bike with this wheelbase/HA/and reach numbers is a very capable and competent package.

mtbr member
    Ok guys need opinions on the stock build kits for 2018 Scout. I was thinking the GX was best bang for buck. With recent discount the price difference is $850 between the two. Big differences I see are (GX/X01):

Fork: Pike RC/Fox 36 Float Fit4
    Dropper: Reverb button/1x lever
    Brakes: Guide R/RSC
    Shifter/Der: GX/X01 (same cassette/chain for both)
    Cranks: Al/carbon
    Wheels: e13 TRS rims novatec hubs/e13 TRS+ wheelset

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Ok guys need opinions on the stock build kits for 2018 Scout. I was thinking the GX was best bang for buck. With recent discount the price difference is $850 between the two. Big differences I see are (GX/X01):

Fork: Pike RC/Fox 36 Float Fit4
    Dropper: Reverb button/1x lever
    Brakes: Guide R/RSC
    Shifter/Der: GX/X01 (same cassette/chain for both)
    Cranks: Al/carbon
    Wheels: e13 TRS rims novatec hubs/e13 TRS+ wheelset

Thoughts?
    I have a bad case of "need to upgrade my components" on most of my complete builds. For some reason there are very few builds that are equipped the way I like. I own a GX build Scout and honestly this is the first bike I haven't really felt the need to upgrade with one exception......the wheels. I'm not liking the Novatec hubs! They make a weird metallic pop/bing/ting noise every once in a while which I have no idea why. Aside from the wheels the GX is a really solid build. I didn't think I would like the SRAM Guide brakes since the last 5-6 bikes I owned have had Shimanos. They are pretty good so far. The GX Eagle has been flawless. I have owned many Pikes and get along with it well, The DPX2 is what my OG Scout needed......piggy back reservoir for better suspension feel.

I've got to say that the GX build is a solid build package!

If I was in your position I would go X01.

If you got the extra $850 in your wallet though spend it!

Whats weird is that for that extra $850 you only shed .4lbs in weight?

You could probably take that $850 and buy some "new OEM take off wheels" and then spend the rest on some lite weight components and shed more than .4lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If those hubs are making that sound they are goners, you can get a new one under warranty. I just replaced my rear with dt 350

mtbr member

SBG Scout Build Thread

I have a bad case of "need to upgrade my components" on most of my complete builds. For some reason there are very few builds that are equipped the way I like. I own a GX build Scout and honestly this is the first bike I haven't really felt the need to upgrade with one exception......the wheels. I'm not liking the Novatec hubs! They make a weird metallic pop/bing/ting noise every once in a while which I have no idea why. Aside from the wheels the GX is a really solid build. I didn't think I would like the SRAM Guide brakes since the last 5-6 bikes I owned have had Shimanos. They are pretty good so far. The GX Eagle has been flawless. I have owned many Pikes and get along with it well, The DPX2 is what my OG Scout needed......piggy back reservoir for better suspension feel.

I've got to say that the GX build is a solid build package!

If I was in your position I would go X01.

If you got the extra $850 in your wallet though spend it!

Whats weird is that for that extra $850 you only shed .4lbs in weight?

You could probably take that $850 and buy some "new OEM take off wheels" and then spend the rest on some lite weight components and shed more than .4lbs.
    I decided to go with the GX, but those wheels are one of the main reason I considered upgrading. In the end I couldn't verify how much lighter the other wheels actually were. I think I'll take the savings and upgrade exactly what I want if/when I see the need. I think part of the reason the X01 is not much lighter is that the fork is nearly .25lb heavier. I'll probably pick up some carbon cranks/bar and some lighter wheels at some point.

First ride later today after I get it setup. I'm really excited! I'm 5'9.5", 31.5 inseam, and shortish torso and the medium fits like a glove at least in the parking lot test.

Edit for pics! Weight is as received (tubes) and no pedals.

Last edited by mtskibum16; 06-25-2018 at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I decided to go with the GX, but those wheels are one of the main reason I considered upgrading. In the end I couldn't verify how much lighter the other wheels actually were. I think I'll take the savings and upgrade exactly what I want if/when I see the need. I think part of the reason the X01 is not much lighter is that the fork is nearly .25lb heavier. I'll probably pick up some carbon cranks/bar and some lighter wheels at some point.

First ride later today after I get it setup. I'm really excited! I'm 5'9.5", 31.5 inseam, and shortish torso and the medium fits like a glove at least in the parking lot test.

Edit for pics! Weight is as received (tubes) and no pedals.
    I just ordered a set of take off wheels built with DT Swiss 350 hubs and 27mm internal rims. My Novatech hubs still make that ping/pop noise so I thought Iíd go with something that should be reliable and easy to service.

Ditch the tubes and go tubeless and youíll shed some weight....I think itís nearly a pound you can lose going tubeless.
    Last edited by BluePitch; 06-25-2018 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I intend at some point to put carbon hoops on mine, think Santa Cruz reserve.

That bike will serve you well man itís a fun one

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Heavier fork and they use the GX Eagle cassette on both bikes so the crank and wheel Upgrade doesnt save you that much weight.

Enjoy the bike!

mtbr member

SBG Scout Build Thread

I just ordered a set of take off wheels built with DT Swiss 350 hubs and 27mm internal rims. My Novatech hubs still make that ping/pop noise so I thought Iíd go with something that should be reliable and easy to service.

Ditch the tubes and go tubeless and youíll shed some weight....I think itís nearly a pound you can lose going tubeless.
    Mine makes a ping/pop too. I was thinking it was the drivetrain though. Literally the first ride on it. Shop built it from the box. Honestly there lots of stuff it could be.

Yeah Iíll go tubeless soon. Didnít have any valve stems on hand or I would have done it today. Shop said the rims were taped already.

I need some new flat pedals. Been riding clipped for years but I had been wanting to get back on flats for a while. Plus coming back from a shoulder surgery itís a bit extra piece of mind not being attached to the bike. Riding some old Welgo MG1s for now. Any recommendations?

First ride today. Got a bit of everything in. Techy climbs with a couple real steep sections, rolling downhills, big road climb, and a steep chunky downhill. Did everything well but it will take some adjusting on my part. Increased pedal strikes for sure. Front end wandered a bit on the real steep seated climbing. Feels like a beast in standing climbs...probably the most impressive attribute so far. Seems burly on the downs. Suspension was pretty stiff/not plush so still some work to do there. Overall really happy so far. Couple more pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Mine makes a ping/pop too. I was thinking it was the drivetrain though. Literally the first ride on it. Shop built it from the box. Honestly there lots of stuff it could be.

Yeah Iíll go tubeless soon. Didnít have any valve stems on hand or I would have done it today. Shop said the rims were taped already.

I need some new flat pedals. Been riding clipped for years but I had been wanting to get back on flats for a while. Plus coming back from a shoulder surgery itís a bit extra piece of mind not being attached to the bike. Riding some old Welgo MG1s for now. Any recommendations?

First ride today. Got a bit of everything in. Techy climbs with a couple real steep sections, rolling downhills, big road climb, and a steep chunky downhill. Did everything well but it will take some adjusting on my part. Increased pedal strikes for sure. Front end wandered a bit on the real steep seated climbing. Feels like a beast in standing climbs...probably the most impressive attribute so far. Seems burly on the downs. Suspension was pretty stiff/not plush so still some work to do there. Overall really happy so far. Couple more pics.

I just got a new forester and hope to have a new scout soon!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Yes, the rims just need valves and sealant.

Pedals are really hard to recommend. I will say the Wellgos are very thick so look for thinner profile. I am currently running Shimano Saints. Looking for something thinner as well, but the Saints just wonít break.

The ping/pop/tink noise is frustrating. Pretty sure itís the hub, not the derailleur.

I rarely get any front wander unless itís a really awkward off camber section or quick switchback. Traction on the rear while climbing though had always been off the charts......it is rare to spin out the back tire on climbing! Tons of traction!

mtbr member
    Yes, the rims just need valves and sealant.

Pedals are really hard to recommend. I will say the Wellgos are very thick so look for thinner profile. I am currently running Shimano Saints. Looking for something thinner as well, but the Saints just wonít break.

The ping/pop/tink noise is frustrating. Pretty sure itís the hub, not the derailleur.

I rarely get any front wander unless itís a really awkward off camber section or quick switchback. Traction on the rear while climbing though had always been off the charts......it is rare to spin out the back tire on climbing! Tons of traction!
    Just ordered some valve stems, Race Face Chester pedals (going green!), and a SRAM Eagle b-screw adjustment guide as I had a bit of trouble shifting in to the 50 tooth cog. Thinking the b-screw is a bit off after messing with it last night, but I'm reading these are a bit finicky.

Yes rear traction was great and much better than my last bike. I think I'll drop the stem down one spacers and see how that feels. What are you running for front/rear sag? I think I set the rear at 18mm (~33%) and it was probably close to using full travel after my ride, but looks like I had an 1-1.5" of travel unused up front. I think I had it set at 25% sag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    As for pedals I just got the oneup aluminum pedals, they are really thin and grip great. I have had deity bladerunners and tmacs in the past. I love the tmacs but they are pretty thick

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    On b screw, make sure you have a friend or someone to check it while sagged.

mtbr member
    Yeah I was going to use a strap or something to compress it and hold it at the sag position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just ordered some valve stems, Race Face Chester pedals (going green!), and a SRAM Eagle b-screw adjustment guide as I had a bit of trouble shifting in to the 50 tooth cog. Thinking the b-screw is a bit off after messing with it last night, but I'm reading these are a bit finicky.

Yes rear traction was great and much better than my last bike. I think I'll drop the stem down one spacers and see how that feels. What are you running for front/rear sag? I think I set the rear at 18mm (~33%) and it was probably close to using full travel after my ride, but looks like I had an 1-1.5" of travel unused up front. I think I had it set at 25% sag.
    My GX build came unassembled so I was the mechanic. It did take a few separate b screw adjustments to get it right, but once I did the shift to 50 is smooth and easy. Would have been helpful to have that guide.

Rear sag is at 19mm and have not bottomed it out yet. Ring shows more than a few mm left. My local trails might not be as rowdy as yours though.

Front is around that 25-30% range. Same here with the front, never have bottomed it out and most times 1.5Ē of travel left. Might be the Debonair? I might try more sag to see if keeps its mid stroke support.

I am still experimenting with spacers. I dropped down too low last time and the front was more playful, but it suffered in the steeps. I left my steerer tube extra long so I could experiment with my height. My last Scout had a lot of spacers under the bar.......SBG Scout doesnít like that many.

mtbr member
    Another shakedown run today. Got a few good sections of trail with some flow and got an idea of what this thing brings to the table. Mostly techy stuff up and down. Still not thrilled with the tech seated climbing but I still need to adjust to it so no harsh judgements yet.

Got home and had valves in the mail so set it up tubeless. Dropped exactly 0.5 lbs with two scoops of sealant in each tire. Pretty pleased with that for the $12 the valves cost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Another shakedown run today. Got a few good sections of trail with some flow and got an idea of what this thing brings to the table. Mostly techy stuff up and down. Still not thrilled with the tech seated climbing but I still need to adjust to it so no harsh judgements yet.
    You know itís funny you say that! Itís the opposite for me. The tech stuff and climbing for me are absolutely great! Such a natural feeling. Love the balance, stability, and climbing manners. It when the speed starts to pick up I have to remember this bike is different. I really have to remember to keep weight forward and be in the attack position over the front. Itís not that I donít like the way it handles at speed, but itís a different sensation than Iím used to. I had to make an adjustment with my OG Scout, and since Iíve owned two bikes since selling that OG Scout I have to remember how to ride it.

mtbr member
    You know itís funny you say that! Itís the opposite for me. The tech stuff and climbing for me are absolutely great! Such a natural feeling. Love the balance, stability, and climbing manners. It when the speed starts to pick up I have to remember this bike is different. I really have to remember to keep weight forward and be in the attack position over the front. Itís not that I donít like the way it handles at speed, but itís a different sensation than Iím used to. I had to make an adjustment with my OG Scout, and since Iíve owned two bikes since selling that OG Scout I have to remember how to ride it.
    I was immediately comfortable to downhill tech, just struggling a bit with the steep/tech climbing. I think right now the problem is equal parts 1) I'm out of shape 2) low bottom bracket 3) wandering front end when it's steep 4) still getting used to climbing on flat pedals again. I'll get there. I don't have a lot of experience on a bunch of different bikes, and I've been on my Pivot Mach 5.7 for like 5 years so plently of style adjustments to get down.

Edit for I mostly mean seated tech climbing. Standing eliminates #3 for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Edit for I mostly mean seated tech climbing. Standing eliminates #3 for sure.
    I see you got some spacers under your stem. Have you tried taking one off and seeing if that helps?

I left my steerer tube long so I could try different heights and I had it way too high in the beginning. Too low later, seem to have found the right height now.

mtbr member
    Yeah I plan to. Wanted a couple rides before I started changing stuff. I think there are 3 spacers below and one above. I may drop one before my next outing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah I plan to. Wanted a couple rides before I started changing stuff. I think there are 3 spacers below and one above. I may drop one before my next outing.
    The other thing I just noticed on my bike is how far forward my seat is on the rails. I'm 5'10" on a good day so I am always in between the Medium and Large size bikes, but prefer the room on the Large. I've got my seat far forward as the indicator line says it should be........I never get any front lift while seated climbing.

mtbr member
    The other thing I just noticed on my bike is how far forward my seat is on the rails. I'm 5'10" on a good day so I am always in between the Medium and Large size bikes, but prefer the room on the Large. I've got my seat far forward as the indicator line says it should be........I never get any front lift while seated climbing.
    Yeah Iím the same size but usually go smaller for a more playful bike. But you on a large with your seat way forward gets you an even steeper effective STA and me on a medium with my post out quite a ways slackens out the effective STA. So yeah, stands to reason youíd have better front wheel traction while seated.

mtbr member

SBG Scout Build Thread

New pedals showed up tonight. Not sure Iíll stick to flats so I didnít want to spend too much. Look nice and feel nice. Pretty pleased for $45. Hopefully the lower profile will help with a couple of my pedal strikes. Race Face Chester.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    New pedals showed up tonight. Not sure Iíll stick to flats so I didnít want to spend too much. Look nice and feel nice. Pretty pleased for $45. Hopefully the lower profile will help with a couple of my pedal strikes. Race Face Chester.
    Was thinking of getting these......have heard nothing but good reviews!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Check out the oneup pedals, I have the Alu and they are super thin they make a composite for around the same price

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    New colors should be out soon.....found this photo of a Patrol on another forum. Anyone on the west coast see any new colored Scouts?

Name:  CE5AB7E6-13C4-46E9-A3A1-2C08EFA78DA8.jpeg
Views: 2041
Size:  92.8 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Bike shop yesterday said they are keeping the black and gray and doing one other color which they did not reveal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    Bike shop yesterday said they are keeping the black and gray and doing one other color which they did not reveal.
    Why would they keep the color exactly the same? You wonít be able to distinguish between an 18 or 19?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Why would they keep the color exactly the same? You wonít be able to distinguish between an 18 or 19?
    Not sure, maybe it is a slightly different gray/black? Or all one color, but that color is dark gray / black. They weren't super clear.

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a cage and water bottle on their SBG Scout? Any findings on what does or doesn't work well? I haven't had a cage/bottle on a bike for a while, but I'm trying to get away from a backpack on shorter rides. How big of a bottle will fit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is anyone running a cage and water bottle on their SBG Scout? Any findings on what does or doesn't work well? I haven't had a cage/bottle on a bike for a while, but I'm trying to get away from a backpack on shorter rides. How big of a bottle will fit?
    I run a cage/bottle on shorter rides. It will take a fairly large bottle.

SBG Scout Build Thread-f49932dc-3a56-4784-a3c6-4622e8a8c473.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-da193810-c12b-46f0-8269-8475af1e736f.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wasn't happy with the Novatec hubs that came with the stock GX build so I picked up a set of take off OEM wheels. Race Face ARC 27 wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs 28 spoke.

Slightly lighter than the stock wheels so I'm under 32 pounds!!!!

31.92 pounds, no pedals.

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2616.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2614.jpg

mtbr member

SBG Scout Build Thread

Nice. Be sure to comment if your perceived hub noise does in fact go away. Mine certainly makes the noise quite often from day one.

FYI my medium gx sits at 31.86 lbs tubeless with no pedals and otherwise stock.

Updated ride report. I'm really starting to love this bike. Really the only possible weaknesses I can come up with are still seated climbing in really steep stuff. Still need to try lowering my stem, so this is a very minor gripe. It's heavy to lift over things and hike-a-bike, but I really don't feel the weight on the trail. The bike lives up to the poppy playful billing and is just so much fun. Very efficient climber, and I only reach for the middle setting on the shock during road climbs and not even because I feel like I need it but just since it's there. Really starting to jive with it on the downhill stuff and it's loads of fun. Really hammered through some fast chunky stuff this weekend, and the support and stiffness in the rear is SO much better than the Pivot Mach 5.7 I'm coming off of. Never find this wallowing in it's travel during seated riding like my Pivot tended to. Much more mid-stroke support it seems. Great platform for launching off all the fun little trail features. FUN! FUN! FUN!
    Last edited by mtskibum16; 07-03-2018 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice. Be sure to comment if your perceived hub noise does in fact go away. Mine certainly makes the noise quite often from day one.
    Went on an extended ride today and absolutely zero noise from the wheel like before. It may not be the hub, but itís related to the stock wheel/rim/hub.

Going from the stock wheelset to the ARC 27 with DT 350 thereís a subtle change in the way the bike handles. Weíre not talking about ground shaking difference here but it was very noticeable. Iím not really sure how to explain it but the bike felt more flickable/quicker/snappier?

A very small reduction in weight, slightly narrower rims which altered the tire profile slightly, might mean thereís less rolling resistance? Whatever the net effect of changing the wheels had there is a noticeable improvement from those wheels. Iíve never had a high end wheelset and my current wheels certainly arenít, but I imagine a lite weight wheel with even higer engagement would be amazing on this bike!

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delay, was on vacation. This is looking toward the rear tire, so the drain hole is about 1cm rear from the BB/DT weld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBG Scout Build Thread-img_5578.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone know if paint quality has been improved on the '18s or should I anticipate covering the entire bike in 3m?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone know if paint quality has been improved on the '18s or should I anticipate covering the entire bike in 3m?
    I have covered my last 5 bikes in 3m whether they were carbon or alloy. I buy my own 3m and cut it down and protect most of the bike with it. I think the last sheet I bought cost about $30? Does it need it......probably not......will I do it again? absolutely! Itís just a way to keep the bike newer longer.

mtbr member
    I run a cage/bottle on shorter rides. It will take a fairly large bottle.

Name:	F49932DC-3A56-4784-A3C6-4622E8A8C473.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	1206402

Name:	DA193810-C12B-46F0-8269-8475AF1E736F.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1206403
    Damn that large frame must give you quite a bit more room than my medium. Pretty average size bottle here. Rubs on the frame getting it in and out. Maybe Iíll just stick to a hydro pack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2019 Scout colors

SBG Scout Build Thread-7cb7f35c-6a52-4cea-878d-9f3c8b674b18.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-06d0aeed-ea5a-4e1a-9d38-39940d8211c4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Links bad

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Patrol, Sentinel, Smuggler... But the Scout Carbon, where is it??
    Last edited by bartmikel; 07-09-2018 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    SBG Scout Build Thread-750ebcd9-b383-444e-827c-bf373122922d.jpg
    Links bad

It worked I just tried it? Anyway they donít show it just mention it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That weird green color looks amazing. Wonder if the builds are the same as last year, some parts look different but not sure if these are just press bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That weird green color looks amazing. Wonder if the builds are the same as last year, some parts look different but not sure if these are just press bikes.
    Iím not sure if the build kits are different in the UK but the Scouts in the pics have Fox 36ís with GX derailleur?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Iím not sure if the build kits are different in the UK but the Scouts in the pics have Fox 36ís with GX derailleur?
    So if you look at the Patrol build kit spec list it looks like they are dropping the Aluminum X01 build level and improving the GX level. This is a smart idea (imo.)

I was looking at getting an '18 scout and could get an X01 build for about the same price, but if the updated colors come with a GX drivetrain but include the Fox 36 and RSC brakes I will wait for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Name:	750EBCD9-B383-444E-827C-BF373122922D.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	1207333
    Anyone notice that Vital changed the article? Scout Carbon is now missing!

SBG Scout Build Thread-ff189f3f-6c80-481d-bed1-11746330ec7b.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

No Carbon Scout! More Fake News!

SBG Scout Build Thread-05944bf9-663e-4063-a4de-6b1ae0c12a95.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone notice that Vital changed the article? Scout Carbon is now missing!

Name:	FF189F3F-6C80-481D-BED1-11746330EC7B.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	1207373
    In the comments the author said it was an error - no Scout Carbon coming as of right now.

mtbr member
    Where's my carbon Scout....

mtbr member
    Where's my carbon Scout....
    Gotta have the carbon Scout!

That army green color looks rad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

making a comeback
    Nov 2009
    Does anyone have feedback on the Reverb post travel that come stock? I can't find it anywhere on the Transition site, or googling around...and seeing that a bunch of you guys have either a Medium or Large 2018, I'm hoping you know! I'm pretty seriously considering a 2018, GX build, especially if the 2019s are coming out soon...hopefully find a discount :-) I haven't done the math yet, but I'm 6'0", so large frame, and like as much seatpost drop as possible if it fits in the frame, so hoping they're 150mm. I run a 160 crank bros highline in my hardtail 27.5+ and it's awesome being able to slam it way down. Not sure if the seat tubes on these will let me run at least 150mm...but that seems standard on most modern L frames (also considering a Banshee Spitfire, similar geo, good deal on Jenson, very similar GX/rockshox build). Thanks! Also, great thread...it's really helping my research, and now even more interested in the Scout over almost anything else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by klaud View Post
    Does anyone have feedback on the Reverb post travel that come stock? I can't find it anywhere on the Transition site, or googling around...and seeing that a bunch of you guys have either a Medium or Large 2018, I'm hoping you know! I'm pretty seriously considering a 2018, GX build, especially if the 2019s are coming out soon...hopefully find a discount :-) I haven't done the math yet, but I'm 6'0", so large frame, and like as much seatpost drop as possible if it fits in the frame, so hoping they're 150mm. I run a 160 crank bros highline in my hardtail 27.5+ and it's awesome being able to slam it way down. Not sure if the seat tubes on these will let me run at least 150mm...but that seems standard on most modern L frames (also considering a Banshee Spitfire, similar geo, good deal on Jenson, very similar GX/rockshox build). Thanks! Also, great thread...it's really helping my research, and now even more interested in the Scout over almost anything else.
    2018 GX build kits came with a choice of 125mm, or 150mm seat post when purchased from Transition directly. This is how I purchased mine.

SBG Scout Build Thread-e6691d9c-8e8f-46b4-aed2-e7407186c5b8.jpg

If you go to a LBS or another online retailer you will have to ask which version they ordered.

As far as the Seatpost they list insertion lengths for each size frame.

SBG Scout Build Thread-970a5421-fe4e-45f2-8191-549b1ef5c847.jpeg

This is my bike with the 150mm dropper. The 150 Reverb will sit flush no problem, so I easily could get a 160mm and be fine.

Just check your dropper specs to their max insertion length.

SBG Scout Build Thread-aa710ed8-2995-4414-8c35-ceed1d5eeb85.jpg

making a comeback
    Nov 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the quick reply, and the specifics on your setup - that was exactly what I was looking for! I definitely did not click through to the "order" page to see that the option existed, so it's good to know, and also encouraging. I did just click through the order page, and the online store is out of stock on most sizes/colors, but are 15% off, so I think it's time to head to my LBS and see about ordering. I don't mind waiting a bit if the price and options are right.

SBG Scout Build Thread-transition.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the quick reply, and the specifics on your setup - that was exactly what I was looking for! I definitely did not click through to the "order" page to see that the option existed, so it's good to know, and also encouraging. I did just click through the order page, and the online store is out of stock on most sizes/colors, but are 15% off, so I think it's time to head to my LBS and see about ordering. I don't mind waiting a bit if the price and options are right.
    They have been out of stock most of the year! Good luck with the LBS!

If they canít get one hereís a link

https://www.evo.com/mountain/transit...-complete-bike

Not many left......

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In the comments the author said it was an error - no Scout Carbon coming as of right now.
    Okay good. That makes me feel better about already having bought the alu and only having gotten in one ride. (Oh great, now a shoulder MRI shows problems. Awesome.)

But that green-y color does look pretty cool. Though I still think my black-grey looks pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Great customer service!

Wanted to give everyone a little heads up on the rear Novatec hub. Hopefully through my experience it will help out anyone else who may go through it themselves. There is nothing worse than having your bike break down and be out of commission while you wait for replacement or warranty parts. I bought my bike online from Transition so taking it to a dealer for help is a long drive that I would rather avoid.......I actually enjoy wrenching on my bikes anyway.

This bike is my only one.....so if it goes down I'm especially bitter and angry at anyone and everything.

The pop/ping/ting that you are hearing I believe is coming from the freehub body that is made of cast aluminum. The pawls are made of steel, and when you pedal the hard pawls are pushing the soft aluminum out and into the inner ring. The inner ring is popping/pinging the soft aluminum back into place.

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2666.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2715.jpg

My inner ring shows a little bit of wear from the aluminum free hub body.

I contacted Transition Bikes on Sunday the 8th and they sent me contact info for Novatec on Monday. On Tuesday Novatec contacted me and told me they would be sending out the parts. Tracking says they will be hear on Friday.

Updated freehub and spring are being sent in about 4 days....that's pretty good!

Thanks Transition and Novatec for helping out!

Now tell us when the Carbon Scout is coming out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Name:	transition.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1207781
    Also go ahead and buy a wolftooth remote, take the hydro remote and toss it, itís garbage, the wolftooth makes the post work flawlessly

mtbr member
    Wanted to give everyone a little heads up on the rear Novatec hub. Hopefully through my experience it will help out anyone else who may go through it themselves. There is nothing worse than having your bike break down and be out of commission while you wait for replacement or warranty parts. I bought my bike online from Transition so taking it to a dealer for help is a long drive that I would rather avoid.......I actually enjoy wrenching on my bikes anyway.

This bike is my only one.....so if it goes down I'm especially bitter and angry at anyone and everything.

The pop/ping/ting that you are hearing I believe is coming from the freehub body that is made of cast aluminum. The pawls are made of steel, and when you pedal the hard pawls are pushing the soft aluminum out and into the inner ring. The inner ring is popping/pinging the soft aluminum back into place.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2666.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	1207843

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2715.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	1207856

My inner ring shows a little bit of wear from the aluminum free hub body.

I contacted Transition Bikes on Sunday the 8th and they sent me contact info for Novatec on Monday. On Tuesday Novatec contacted me and told me they would be sending out the parts. Tracking says they will be hear on Friday.

Updated freehub and spring are being sent in about 4 days....that's pretty good!

Thanks Transition and Novatec for helping out!

Now tell us when the Carbon Scout is coming out!
    Thanks for the update. I'll probably milk mine through the season then do the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the update. I'll probably milk mine through the season then do the same.
    I would go ahead and start the process....freehub is easy to change out. Getting the inner ring out is a pain. The sooner you change freehub equals less chance the inner ring gets worn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2744.jpg
    SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2729.jpg

Finally got to take the bike up to speed and see how it handles. The SBG Scout has been impressing me on my local trails for months now. I haven't had the opportunity to take it down the fast/sketchy stuff till now, and it proved itself far more capable than my OG Scout.

Great all around bike.....one bike quiver for sure!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Nice man! I will say I recently went to a 35mm stem and 31.8 bars, the shorter stem made it feel twitchy, and in climbs it felt like it was loose up front. Iíve since went back with 40 as that is what TR recommends. Wish there were more options for 40mm stems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Habanero Orange touch up paint

Pretty close color match

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2796.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2798.jpg

SBG Scout Build Thread-thumbnail_img_2794.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice match! It's been mentioned a ton, but the paint on these leaves something to be desired. I'm going to have to get some clear 3M for a few rub spots.

As for the hubs, I just shot Transition an email to see my options. I haven't pulled the hub apart yet though, but the ping/pop continues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Sadly OP, my experience with calling them was the opposite. I'm in the market for a new FS after just selling my sportbike and narrowed it down to either a YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp (can't beat the spec for the price), Transition Scout or Santa Cruz 5010 Aluminum R+ build. Tried all day this past Monday to get someone on the line about a new Scout and nobody would pick up, then voicemail was full. Tried again Tuesday morning, same thing so I gave up. Ended up ordering a '19 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C Tuesday afternoon.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    Sadly OP, my experience with calling them was the opposite. I'm in the market for a new FS after just selling my sportbike and narrowed it down to either a YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp (can't beat the spec for the price), Transition Scout or Santa Cruz 5010 Aluminum R+ build. Tried all day this past Monday to get someone on the line about a new Scout and nobody would pick up, then voicemail was full. Tried again Tuesday morning, same thing so I gave up. Ended up ordering a '19 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C Tuesday afternoon.
    Cool, Iíve owned many Santa Cruz. Canít go wrong with either brand.

making a comeback
    Nov 2009

Pulled the trigger on one of the last '18s I could find

Well, I was able to find an '18 black/grey large Scout locally...turns out Centre City Cycles in Escondido, CA had bought up a bunch of the last Transitions. My coworker bought a Sentinel from him after seeing my Scout :-) The sale price was too hard to pass up given I was set on this bike and color, but I immediately swapped the SRAM Level brakes for Shimano SLX given my past experiences and love for SLX/XT. So far, other than brakes, the NX build is exactly what I was hoping for: good performance at a great value. I have an NX 1x11 on my hardtail and it's great, ran the same on a rental bike in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler last week and was excellent considering it probably gets a ton of miles in the rental fleet. The new Revelation with the same chassis as the Pike is noticeably stiffer and more smooth/responsive than my Recon on my 27.5+ hardtail, and the rear shock is so far so good (I'm 6' and maybe 150lb geared up, so suspension setup is typically not a challenging thing for me to manage). So far, the Race Face Aeffect dropper is doing its job, at it at least came with a 150mm travel unit on the Large frame (but it's not obvious from the website). Went with Spank Spike pedals since I'm a dedicated flat pedal guy, and they should last a good long time (I love my Chester plastic pedals on the hardtail, though). Saddle is nothing to write home about. I could barely justify getting a new bike at all let alone stepping up to the GX build, and after a few rides, I couldn't be happier with the key upgrade being the brakes!

SBG Scout Build Thread-imag3384.jpgSBG Scout Build Thread-imag3388.jpg

I'm subjectively and objectively (Strava) quite a bit faster on downhill and flow sections I ride regularly (including comparing against some test rides on a 2015 Patrol). The steering is confidence inspiring, seems to not be a gimmick, and if nothing else it suits my style better going up or down, slow or fast (FWIW I grew up on bikes, but am a dirt bike guy at heart, and love jumping and generally riding as playfully as my almost-40-year-old ass can handle). I spent 5 days on a slightly longer travel Rocky Mountain Altitude in Canada, and while it was a great all-around bike, coming back and riding the Scout, I feel like it just has better manners in the front end and a more playful rear end (likely due to less travel). Can't wait to get way more miles on it! Thanks to everyone here for the help and motivation.

Also worth noting, I had exchanged a few emails with the Transition folks just regarding ordering and inventory/availability, etc. I found them to be quite responsive and helpful, considering they are a very small company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    . So far, other than brakes, the NX build is exactly what I was hoping for: good performance at a great value. I have an NX 1x11 on my hardtail and it's great, ran the same on a rental bike in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler last week and was excellent considering it probably gets a ton of miles in the rental fleet. The new Revelation with the same chassis as the Pike is noticeably stiffer and more smooth/responsive than my Recon on my 27.5+ hardtail, and the rear shock is so far so good (I'm 6' and maybe 150lb geared up, so suspension setup is typically not a challenging thing for me to manage)..

Also worth noting, I had exchanged a few emails with the Transition folks just regarding ordering and inventory/availability, etc. I found them to be quite responsive and helpful, considering they are a very small company.

I have been a devote Shimano guy until this bike. Cannot complain at all on SRAM drivetrains, 12 speed Eagle has been my most trouble free, best shifting drivetrain yet. I was curious how the NX 11 speed was. Good to hear it works well.

You can convert the Revelation into a Pike by putting the Charger 2 damper in it......$240 cost. Revelation and Pike share exact same chassis, just the damper is different.

Agree with customer service experience.......they certainly care about their customers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    New Scouts are up on the TR website. Only two models available right now, NX and GX. I like the Fox 36 being spec'd on the GX build! There also spec'ing Minion 2.5WT and 2.4 WT on Stans Flow S1 rims.

Looks good!

Wonder where the X01 build is?

SBG Scout Build Thread-2019_scoutalloy_gx_gallery1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Scout NX in blue...subtle color choices this year!

SBG Scout Build Thread-2019_scoutalloy_nx_gallery1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    @Transition Bikes which brake comes on the GX build this year?

SBG Scout Build Thread-fbd00a24-d98f-4917-a123-6c2500df9248.jpg
    SBG Scout Build Thread-b94e1e87-046b-42a7-b403-718e20059816.jpg

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Looking to upgrade my Bandit29 soon and the Scout is at the top of my list. I test rode a medium Smuggler and a small Scout last week. The BS got permission to let me test a bike that was being serviced at the shop. He also called his buddy to bring one in to I could try two different styles of bikes.

I'm 5'7 and the small felt a bit cramped but the bike was set up for someone even smaller/shorter than me. The medium Smuggler felt great compared to my Bandit29. Didn't pedal like a heavier bike for sure. Now I'm on the hunt for a medium Scout to get a feel before I completely drink the Scout koolaid.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    I'm 5"6 and on a medium Scout, could have gone with a small but the medium just felt right to me.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I also am on a medium Scout and love it. Iím 5í5Ē.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    18 XL Scout w/ CC DB inline coil
    Fork... FOX 36 Elite
    Front wheel... Hadley / dt481 Minion DHF 2.5WT
    Rear wheel... Hadley / dt471 WTB Riddler 2.4 Tough Casing
    Drivetrain... m7000 cranks w/ m8000 derailleur 11-46 x 32 oval
    Pedals... Canfield Mountain
    Post/Saddle... Bikeyoke Revive/ Chromag Moon DT
    Brakes... m8000
    Cockpit... 40mm Profile Helm / Deity Blacklabel bars
    HS... Wolftooth
    BB... Kogel
    Collar... Chromag
    Grips... ODI Elite Pro
    Bash... Blackspire

35 lbs

SBG Scout Build Thread-sbg-scout.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    How do you like it with the coil?

Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    18 XL Scout w/ CC DB inline coil

Name:	SBG SCOUT.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	1215252

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Glad to hear it performed well. And I think I may have seen you (or at least your bike) at PMD that day! Psyched to see another scout out on the local trails. I ran into a fellow at the Wilmington MTB fest this weekend on another '18 scout and he was loving it too.

I like mine a lot, but the low BB kills me on long rock gardens. My fox 36 is also back for its second warranty trip of the summer, which is a bit of a bummer.

Finally got to take the bike up to speed and see how it handles. The SBG Scout has been impressing me on my local trails for months now. I haven't had the opportunity to take it down the fast/sketchy stuff till now, and it proved itself far more capable than my OG Scout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    Glad to hear it performed well. And I think I may have seen you (or at least your bike) at PMD that day! Psyched to see another scout out on the local trails. I ran into a fellow at the Wilmington MTB fest this weekend on another '18 scout and he was loving it too.

I like mine a lot, but the low BB kills me on long rock gardens. My fox 36 is also back for its second warranty trip of the summer, which is a bit of a bummer.
    Yes that was me up at Wilmington on Saturday. The other 18 Scout you saw at the PMD on Sunday I think I know that guy. There is a guy who lives near me who owns a Habenero Scout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    How do you like it with the coil?
    I am a fan, won't be going back to air. 550 lb spring on this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast