mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Patrol 2018 Paint job

Patrol 2018 Paint job-img_8896.jpg

Patrol 2018 Paint job-img_8899.jpg

Are the paint jobs on Transitions historically bad? I am still in the process of building my 2018 Patrol & already have paint chips & not even been ridden in anger yet. I know they are only superficial but still a bit poor I think. I would have gone with the other colour if I'd known it was this matte/satin type paint job.

mtbr member
    Have you called Transition?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hi
    I cant really call them as I am in the UK. I have emailed them though & currently await a response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    "Are the paint jobs on Transitions historically bad?"

In my experience, yes. I've had a Smuggler and a Scout, both black and among the least durable finishes I've had on a bike.

mtbr member
    My Ponderosa Green patrol had a chip on the linkage when I got it from the dealer. Also noticed that they masked it off horribly at the factory, and there is some green overspray in the black sections. My frame is all glossy though, not matte finish. I can be super anal retentive in stuff like this, but I just shrugged it off cause itíll get scratched, etc. just adds character I guess.
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I guess everything needs it's time - it took years for TR to add downtube protectors and >1$ bearings to their frames; maybe in 5y+ they will improve the painting.

Don't get me wrong, I love their bikes, but in some areas ( the non "giddy up, SBG..." things) they are too careless imho.
    Last edited by aenduro; 11-15-2017 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I just think they cut corners/cost on the finishes vs critical mechanical components... not necessarily a problem but I don't really mind if my bikes stay looking like new.

I kinda wish they'd just cut cost in the form of all the stripey graphics and go with a less busy slightly higher quality finish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    I just think they cut corners/cost on the finishes vs critical mechanical components... not necessarily a problem but I don't really mind if my bikes stay looking like new.

I kinda wish they'd just cut cost in the form of all the stripey graphics and go with a less busy slightly higher quality finish.
    Agreed on the " less busy, slightly higher quality finish "

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just went out for a pre ride chain lube and noticed that I'm missing all sorts of paint after about 5-7 rides on my new Sentinel. I'm not entirely shocked because my past couple of Scouts chipped easily as well. This new Sentinel might be the worst yet though based on what I'm seeing after just a few rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Could you please post some photos?

mtbr member
    Can't beat a raw finish on an aluminium frame, really wishing I'd chosen that option for my current Knolly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    I just think they cut corners/cost on the finishes vs critical mechanical components...
    Which mech. components do you mean?

There were a lot of Patrols with misaligned shock mount (mine was also affected), not properly reamed/faced (how do u say?) seat tubes, bone-dry bearings (was almost epidemic @the carbon model), etc.... Since other frames also break I won't mention all the broken seat/chain stays.

The 2016 Patrol frame was 1800Ä, the new one is 2100Ä - for alloy, mind you. Cut costs?

Even if you can fix a lot of these and other things on your own (grease bearings, ream seat tube, tape frame etc), I ask myself if they have an ape employed which applies the "QC" sticker on the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aenduro View Post
    Which mech. components do you mean?

There were a lot of Patrols with misaligned shock mount (mine was also affected), not properly reamed/faced (how do u say?) seat tubes, bone-dry bearings (was almost epidemic @the carbon model), etc.... Since other frames also break I won't mention all the broken seat/chain stays.

The 2016 Patrol frame was 1800Ä, the new one is 2100Ä - for alloy, mind you. Cut costs?

Even if you can fix a lot of these and other things on your own (grease bearings, ream seat tube, tape frame etc), I ask myself if they have an ape employed which applies the "QC" sticker on the bottom bracket.
    Well then I stand corrected. Iíve personally not had mechanical quality issues on either of my Transitions and I havenít seen a lot of complaints.

Asian Mfg. is tricky. Even if you partner with a top notch factory you basically have to personally supervise every production run all the way through to final QC. I actually have first hand experience playing this role for a previous employer (not bikes). Itís incredible the mistakes they will make, apologize for, correct, then revert right back to on the next run, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The only functional problem I've had with two Transition bikes was a broken brake tab on the rear triangle, which they replaced the day I notified them.

The finish, though, sucks on all of them. It's very fragile, chips easily, and scratches easily. My Patrol Carbon got 3 or 4 chips on the first ride, big ones too. I've ridden other bikes in the same areas multiple times and not had a single riding induced chip. It seems like you could look at them wrong and the paint comes off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    not much of an update from Transition, just pretty much advised to suck it & see. If it get's ridiculously bad I will be back in touch with them but I was very disappointed in all honesty especially as I havent even rode it yet.

mtbr member
    I put 3M armour tape almost to the every place

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    To be honest it doesn't look that bad or at least bad enough to require a warranty replacement but for sure it is really disappointing.

I don't know what other companies would do but I know that Trek for example have replaced some frames but it was about paint bubbling rather than paint chips.

Since I am highly interested in the 2018 Patrol can you post some photos to see how the bike looks in that color and also some first impressions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    will post some ride impressions & pics when fully built up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My Sentinel is losing a bit of paint forward of the chain guard from a bit of slap after a couple of rides. Other than that no different than my Smuggler or past Konas. I'm fully expecting some chipping. But I give the the bikes a good thrashing on the North Shore in terrible conditions (for paint). So meh for me. Anyway the most durable paint I recall was my Nomad 3 which looked like bloody gel coat. However, as it aged and flexed guess what? It **looked** like it had cracks everywhere!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How's the paint on the pivot where the gear cable rubs? The Sentinel in the PB review had rub marks there already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mine has no rubbing there. I don't even see how the cable could rub because it's pretty well fixed in place. Maybe that was some sort or prototype thing that got fixed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For what its worth, my 2010 TransAm's paintjob is awful. I've but in quite a few years of use on it... but it really seems to chip extremely easy. I have a 2017 Patrol that I'm keeping an eye on, it doesn't seem as bad so far...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    quick update, transition have agreed to change the rocker & chainstay. top customer service on their part I would say. I await the parts arriving. all fully built up now so will post a pic. still not ridden in anger yet tho

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hi There. I have / had paint issues with my Transition Patrol. Bought Transition Patrol this Feb (2018). I am in New Zealand, paid top dollar ($ 5000 NZD). Shop owner convinced me of burly-ness frame (good investment - really good frame, although being costly, heavy etc. (also expensive given NX build, alloy etc.). So called durability made me decide to go for this bike. After hand full of rides, I discovered that the frame had pretty bad paint chips / damage (+ rough paint job round barrings from new already, addressed this to shop owner, he informed importer). Only did ride gently because getting to know the bike + need to take it easy to start with anyway, I am an old fart:-) Contacted NZ importer + also TR bikes in Bellingham. They acknowledged paint issues (factory etc.). My importer decided to replace the frame (he told me that he decided to do this on his own behalf, TR refused to replace apparently, still totally unclear why???). I got a new frame this week. Upgraded drive train, had spin in front of house. I discovered a few chips, and untidy paint-job round bearing. Guys, I do not want to be to fussy, but I am pretty disappointed in this. Okay, it is not that bad compared with previous frame, but did not even ride it properly yet. I will attach pictures later. I really regret going for this bike in all honesty (i do appreciate the service and work the NZ importer put into it + shop I bought it from was /is supportive). Although like the geometrie, but quality and response from Transition is very, very poor ). To be continued!
    Last edited by moverweel; 05-24-2018 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moverweel View Post
    Hi There. I have / had paint issues with my Transition Patrol. Bought Transition Patrol this Feb (2018). I am in New Zealand, paid top dollar ($ 5000 NZD). Shop owner convinced me of burly-ness frame (good investment - really good frame, although being costly, heavy etc. (also expensive given NX build, alloy etc.). So called durability made me decide to go for this bike. After hand full of rides, I discovered that the frame had pretty bad paint chips / damage (+ rough paint job round barrings from new already, addressed this to shop owner, he informed importer). Only did ride gently because getting to know the bike + need to take it easy to start with anyway, I am an old fart:-) Contacted NZ importer + also TR bikes in Bellingham. They acknowledged paint issues (factory etc.). My importer decided to replace the frame (he told me that he decided to do this on his own behalf, TR refused to replace apparently, still totally unclear why???). I got a new frame this week. Upgraded drive train, had spin in front of house. I discovered a few chips, and untidy paint-job round bearing. Guys, I do not want to be to fussy, but I am pretty disappointed in this. Okay, it is not that bad compared with previous frame, but did not even ride it properly yet. I will attach pictures later. I really regret going for this bike in all honesty (i do appreciate the service and work the NZ importer put into it + shop I bought it from was /is supportive). Although like the geometrie, but quality and response from Transition is very, very poor (probably investing their time with slick-marketing campaigns and talking /posting stuff about beer and raving about being rider owned). To be continued!
    sorry to hear about your issues but was pretty much exactly the same issues that I reported. In the end I ended up returning the frame & forks to the dealer I bought from. Windwave the UK distributor told the shop (Two Wheels in Stourbridge UK) I bought from to refund me & not allow me to buy any other Transition products. they didnt even offer to exchange for the gloss frame. after I had returned I even tried to purchase a scout carbon frame & Windwave the UK distributor blocked me from buying one as I had returned the patrol due to the shoddy paint job issues. absolutely unbelievably bad customer service. I have tried to report this to Transition themselves & they didnt want to know. didnt reply to any emails I sent to discuss the matter. In the end I even ended up selling my alloy scout I had as I was so disgusted with all parties involved. From the shop to the distributor & Transition themselves left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. wont be buying a Transition again to be honest which is a shame as the scout I had was a great ride.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Lots of paint missing from my 3 week old Patrol. Mostly on the rear end near the linkage and the chain stays. A small moment where I didn't lean the bike up properly also lost a good few chunks from the seat tube. I'm going to get some touch up paint, fix it up then tape the rest of the frame up. I know it's only cosmetic, but it's pretty annoying how easily it comes off.