DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New Transition website up and running

Looks great! Lots of info on the new bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And direct sales apparently. But things are selling out quickly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "Not an e-bike."

They kill me!!!

mtbr member
    I like direct sales...$1999 for a sentinel frame. Very tempting. Very similar to a Rallon in #'s
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    They've gone to 3 year warranties too which is awesome! I wanted to see the frame weights posted though, which they've omitted this year.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    They've gone to 3 year warranties too which is awesome! I wanted to see the frame weights posted though, which they've omitted this year.
    Patrol: XS- 7.84 S- 8.1 M- 8.39 L- 8.65 XL- 8.93

Smuggler: S- 7.81 M- 8.1 L- 8.37 XL- 8.65

*The above is from Fanatik Bike's "bike builder" page. Does not include shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    "Not an e-bike."

They kill me!!!
    Heh, that got a good chuckle out of me too. Nice videos for each model too, thats a biiiig drop for a 130mm "trail bike" at the end of the Scout clip!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post

Not super light.

Ride On

Damn
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member

I'm all for durable aluminum frames, but if those are correct they are DH frame weights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Huh. How can they be so heavy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I'm all for durable aluminum frames, but if those are correct they are DH frame weights.
    That is rather rotund....even if "durable." BUT, there's a picture floating around of a TB3 AL at 8lbs (and definitely not a larger size):
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 TB3 aluminum 29er Frame Weight - Mtbr.com

So I guess that's pretty similar. BUT
    On FANATIK, the XL's are: '17 Patrol C is 6.05 while '18 AL is 8.93 (HUDGE difference)
    2017 Scout C is 5.78 while AL is 6.87 (which seems about right (1.1lbs).

Hopefully, Fanatik is off...or a carbon Smuggler is coming (yes please!!!!).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My 2014 Bandit was pretty light for an aluminum trail bike at 3150g size M with shock and axle. The '15 - '17 scouts are reasonable too. It looks like the '18 models have gained almost a pound and a half! If Fanatik's numbers are accurate, Transition's bikes are now the heaviest out there.

hands up who wants to die
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    I can't imagine they'd add a pound and a half to these frames. I don't even know how you would if you tried. None of the first impression reviews mentioned them being any heftier (than Transition has always been). Of course I could be wrong... I'll find out on Tuesday when my Patrol shows up!
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts View Post
    I can't imagine they'd add a pound and a half to these frames. I don't even know how you would if you tried. None of the first impression reviews mentioned them being any heftier (than Transition has always been). Of course I could be wrong... I'll find out on Tuesday when my Patrol shows up!
    The Transition boys told me they were a pound heavier when I asked. Obviously that will vary a bit from frame to frame and model to model.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    That is rather rotund....even if "durable." BUT, there's a picture floating around of a TB3 AL at 8lbs (and definitely not a larger size):
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 TB3 aluminum 29er Frame Weight - Mtbr.com
    But that is a weight with shock. Weights on Fanatik page were without shocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    But that is a weight with shock. Weights on Fanatik page were without shocks.
    Ruh roh!

mtbr member
    Thought I'd read that there was to be a frame/fork offering. Nothing to mention on the new site that I can see. Anyone know different?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Thought I'd read that there was to be a frame/fork offering. Nothing to mention on the new site that I can see. Anyone know different?
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/Stor...=Scout&P=11849

mtbr member
    Anyone else worried about transition not supporting there shops any more and going more to a direct model.... They have already told the shop Im associated with a different shipping date for some bikes that they apparently have in stock on their site. They also didn't let their deals know they were moving to an online model. I know there still selling at MSRP but the shop that will have to deal with the warranty claims is still missing out on some cash. I'm honestly a bit on the fence now about even getting a tranny this is a bit of a blow to there brick and mortar counter parts.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Maybe online sales are intended for those who don't have a dealer near them? Why would anyone buy online if you can get it from your LBS at the same price? The only concern I'd have is if they give priority to online sales over LBS sales. Maybe Transition is dealing with some growing pains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    Anyone else worried about transition not supporting there shops any more and going more to a direct model.... They have already told the shop Im associated with a different shipping date for some bikes that they apparently have in stock on their site. They also didn't let their deals know they were moving to an online model. I know there still selling at MSRP but the shop that will have to deal with the warranty claims is still missing out on some cash. I'm honestly a bit on the fence now about even getting a tranny this is a bit of a blow to there brick and mortar counter parts.
    Maybe they are... or maybe they (and their dealers) just underestimated the response for the SBG so they didn't order enough frames and parts for the initial demand we're seeing? And now they have to balance and prioritize which shops (including their own store) get product while they wait for more to arrive.

That's called business. It could be a sign of growing pains and that's not necessarily a bad thing for a small company if you should ever need warranty service down the line. At least they'll be there.

But why jump to the dark side without anything more than your shop doesn't have a bike that's available on the Transition store site? I don't see a grassy knoll here....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    But why jump to the dark side without anything more than your shop doesn't have a bike that's available on the Transition store site? I don't see a grassy knoll here....
    Agreed, I've had good luck with Transition on the phone and email. Gromit, I suggest you call them and explain your point of view, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for the confusion.

mtbr member
    In my experience with Transition, they were always super protective of and committed to their shop relationships. I doubt that's changed. This may be something they feel like they have to do given the current climate.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    We just wanted to take a moment to address these kind of concerns and clarify how our program works.

The goal of our program is to provide customers with the choice to buy in whatever fashion they prefer. We are a small brand and we don't have the same dealer coverage as big brands. We acknowledge that not everyone is near a bike shop or necessarily needs or wants to make their purchase through a brick and mortar bike shop. Rather than putting our bikes in the major online dealers, we have added the direct sale option to our own site in order to maintain the retail pricing and better control the customer experience.

Every bike or frame order from our store gets a follow up phone call so the customer knows about dealer options in their area and to ensure they are getting everything they need. In the case of a customer buying directly on our site within a dealers territory, we are giving the shop an account credit to make up for the margin they would have seen from that sale. We value our dealers and specifically chose this direction because we would have better information about who is buying our bikes and where the bikes end up shipped. If we had opened accounts with the major online retailers, we would have lost all insight in to where product was going and had no ability to help direct people to our brick and mortar shops.

In regards to availability and timelines. Our entire first delivery has been more or less completely pre-sold. It is possible that, at some point, a dealer was quoted a certain date for availability only to have the same product become available earlier due to a modified or cancelled order. Our dealers do have a B2B type login to our site that shows them real time availability, which is identical to what is shown on the store. They can also place a special order 24hrs a day that holds the product immediately. We don't keep any product for our own online store that a dealer can't buy. It's the same inventory pool. There is no priority order aside from first come, first serve. The demand for the new bikes has been huge, and we have more shipments arriving all the time. Dealers are able to pre-order against the future deliveries, whereas direct sales are only available for in stock product.

The exact details of our program weren't finalized until very shortly before the website launched. Dealers were notified by email and we attempted to reach out by phone to everyone we could. However, we do acknowledge that we should have given dealers more notice. In hindsight, we could have handled the notification better, but we really do value our dealers and look at this program as a balanced approach. If you or your shop has any concerns or wants to discuss anything over the phone, feel free to give us a call.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    We just wanted to take a moment to address these kind of concerns and clarify how our program works.

The goal of our program is to provide customers with the choice to buy in whatever fashion they prefer. We are a small brand and we don't have the same dealer coverage as big brands. We acknowledge that not everyone is near a bike shop or necessarily needs or wants to make their purchase through a brick and mortar bike shop. Rather than putting our bikes in the major online dealers, we have added the direct sale option to our own site in order to maintain the retail pricing and better control the customer experience.

Every bike or frame order from our store gets a follow up phone call so the customer knows about dealer options in their area and to ensure they are getting everything they need. In the case of a customer buying directly on our site within a dealers territory, we are giving the shop an account credit to make up for the margin they would have seen from that sale. We value our dealers and specifically chose this direction because we would have better information about who is buying our bikes and where the bikes end up shipped. If we had opened accounts with the major online retailers, we would have lost all insight in to where product was going and had no ability to help direct people to our brick and mortar shops.

In regards to availability and timelines. Our entire first delivery has been more or less completely pre-sold. It is possible that, at some point, a dealer was quoted a certain date for availability only to have the same product become available earlier due to a modified or cancelled order. Our dealers do have a B2B type login to our site that shows them real time availability, which is identical to what is shown on the store. They can also place a special order 24hrs a day that holds the product immediately. We don't keep any product for our own online store that a dealer can't buy. It's the same inventory pool. There is no priority order aside from first come, first serve. The demand for the new bikes has been huge, and we have more shipments arriving all the time. Dealers are able to pre-order against the future deliveries, whereas direct sales are only available for in stock product.

The exact details of our program weren't finalized until very shortly before the website launched. Dealers were notified by email and we attempted to reach out by phone to everyone we could. However, we do acknowledge that we should have given dealers more notice. In hindsight, we could have handled the notification better, but we really do value our dealers and look at this program as a balanced approach. If you or your shop has any concerns or wants to discuss anything over the phone, feel free to give us a call.
    Thanks for your honest reply. Sorry to jump the gun a bit with my opinions. I have had very good interactions with you guys and shouldn't of thought the worst. I agree with your statements about online retailers. I've worked in shops long enough to know we can't compete with competitive cyclist and the whole backcountry.com family. I think your approach to still giving the local dealer a credit is a good middle ground to the whole direct sales model.

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Wow. Stoked to see my LBS still supported. Now when do we see some SBG carbon? :-)

If Transition keeps kicking butt like this they be making their own frames out of carbon/benjamin composite. Thanks for being one of the most stoked and raddest companies in the bike world.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    There is no priority order aside from first come, first serve. The demand for the new bikes has been huge, and we have more shipments arriving all the time.
    Thanks for responding here. Any idea when the Sentinel GX build will be available on the website? It seems like there are some random frame sizes but no build kits in stock. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Thanks for responding here. Any idea when the Sentinel GX build will be available on the website? It seems like there are some random frame sizes but no build kits in stock. Thanks again!
    The GX Sentinel kits are 100% pre-sold to dealers on our next few deliveries. It's not easy to predict when we will have stock on hand ready for online orders. It may not be until springtime. Of course those dealers are getting shipments... so bikes will be available, just not necessarily directly from us.

This is a case where it might have made sense to set aside some kits for our own online store, but we didn't want to turn away the dealer requests.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Congratulations on the overall demand, pre-sold, and already sold! Riders are going to love these bikes! SBG is a game changer. It's an overused term in the bike industry, but it's accurate for the SBG concept. The difference in front-end stability is on another level.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The GX Sentinel kits are 100% pre-sold to dealers on our next few deliveries. It's not easy to predict when we will have stock on hand ready for online orders. It may not be until springtime.
    Holy moly, ok. How about GX Patrols? Same deal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Holy moly, ok. How about GX Patrols? Same deal?
    Again... can't say for certain until the time comes. But at the moment it looks like we should have those Patrol GX kits available in the store around early December.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    In the case of a customer buying directly on our site within a dealers territory, we are giving the shop an account credit to make up for the margin they would have seen from that sale.

Very cool.