2020 Scout in Carbon coming?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?

Anyone know if the current Ally Scout is being made in carbon?
    Its the perfect geometry - ticks every single box. But I want carbon...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Waiting anxiously for info as well. Demoed the aluminum version and really liked it. My "guess" would be yes for carbon.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Waiting anxiously for info as well. Demoed the aluminum version and really liked it. My "guess" would be yes for carbon.
    I'm torn between building a Scout and a carbon Smuggler at the moment. I'd prefer a Scout but 4kg for frame is pretty ridiculous. The Smuggler is a full kilo lighter but I'll have to buy new wheels to build it which adds to the cost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Should be a new Scout coming but look for changes compared to the current model. Carbon should be available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Should be a new Scout coming but look for changes compared to the current model. Carbon should be available.
    My kid really wants the carbon Scout bike for his birthday, which is coming up in a couple of weeks. He's fine not receiving it on his birthday and getting it further down the line, but I really wish they'd make the announcement that it's coming prior to his birthday so it would be "official."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There is a lot of rumors going around about the "New Scout!" I really hope that it comes out soon. I did a TR demo in my local riding area and talked with the TR guy about the Scout. He gave up no info but it sounds like they are doing something different with the Scout. I asked about the carbon Scout and his answer was vague.......but he inferred that they were cooking up something juicy......fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I thought I found a picture of a new TR bike...possibly a Scout. It looks like its just Sentinel though with some custom stickers. That was exhausting trying to figure out.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/506851/

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-dscapture.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I thought I found a picture of a new TR bike...possibly a Scout. It looks like its just Sentinel though with some custom stickers. That was exhausting trying to figure out.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/506851/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsCapture.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	1283767
    That looks like a 2018 sentinel. Here's a pic of my old one for comparison.

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-p5pb16769030.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The TR website is almost completely out of Scouts. Only a few sizes left in each build. It cant be much longer now?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Saw this on Matt Macduffs Instagram last night riding with the transition dudes. For sure a transition. Looks to be carbon and less of a rounded look and more sleek. The new scout??

edit: I donít know how to upload pictures but if someone else could help me out that would be great. Itís the tan bike in the Instagram stories.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CJurk0315 View Post
    Saw this on Matt McGuffey Instagram last night riding with the transition dudes. For sure a transition. Looks to be carbon and less of a rounded look and more sleek. The new scout??

edit: I donít know how to upload pictures but if someone else could help me out that would be great. Itís the tan bike in the Instagram stories.

Youíll need to post a link

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    https://www.instagram.com/matt_macduff/

the picture is in his his Instagram stories. Donít know how to post pictures otherwise I would

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    https://www.instagram.com/matt_macduff/

the picture is in his his Instagram stories. Donít know how to post pictures otherwise I would
    The guy has 1800 posts.....could you try to figure it out?

All I found was this!

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-13743382_702291043242447_311855157_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Correct. Itís not a direct post where you gather likes and comments type of thing. If you go to his profile and you click on his picture in his bio section of his profile because you get to any of his uploaded pictures it will take you to his stories. There you will be able to click through until you see the one that has him on a ride with the guys from transition. There you will be able to spot out the tan possibly new carbon scout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    https://instagram.com/stories/matt_m...=15vkgfcxz5za3

Canít really tell what kind of bike that is but you may be on to something.

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-f18310f6-00ad-48ac-afd5-4c66ed334e58.jpg

Thank you for explaining that......Iím not an Instagram regular.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-1239452d-a2d1-45b1-add9-14d5089860a8.jpg

Looks like a Horst Link.....that head-tube though, good catch. Not sure what kind of bike it is. Someone will probably know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just say no to Broyoda brown.... I'm over it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Just say no to Broyoda brown.... I'm over it.
    They just colored it that way so people would think itís the current color way of this years bike.

Hide it in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    In the one after that picture at the end it shows him and the bike has a TR logo on it. Looks production ready.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    In the one after that picture at the end it shows him and the bike has a TR logo on it. Looks production ready.
    I dont think they will have it the same color.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hiding in plain sight! Tell us about this #CarbonScout

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-c3514ae1-fad9-4c73-9c6d-bb3a3e1975ca.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I believe we have it folks! This is the carbon scout we have been waiting for! ... and will continue to wait for until they release it. Hopefully soon. I imagine before the new year

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I believe this is also a new Scout(or some sort of new TR bike) Look at how flat that top tube is. I went through all the current bikes and nothing had that kind of angle on the top tube.

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-c777f9e3-af67-4f41-994d-f87ce16e6aae.jpg

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-215258a0-a4d8-4f63-9b85-583851fd504d.jpg

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-aaeb0935-8b5a-41c8-87bf-cc9dd2c73b75.jpeg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Really geeking out now!!!! Yes, I am a bike nerd!

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-99capture.png
    2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-999capture.png
    Name:  99999Capture.PNG
Views: 288
Size:  106.6 KB
    Name:  215258A0-A4D8-4F63-9B85-583851FD504D.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  49.6 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    @Transitionbikes When will we have this? #WheresmyCarbonScout?!!!

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-darscapture.jpg

This is me when it comes to the Carbon Scout!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Is the draw for a Carbon scout, mid-travel 27.5 bike that big?

I honestly thought that its the sentinel that would be the draw?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post

Ride a Scout and youíll understand. Party out front/business out back. Itís a fun bike that tempts you to get rowdy. Itís a very manageable trail bike that punches above its weight.

I understand the draw to a 29er, but refuse to give up the characteristics of a 27.5er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Well at least 10 people on these forums including me ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Assuming the colors are the same as the current lineup, that dark grey one might be the new Smuggler other folks were talking about. That's just me guessing, I have no way of knowing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GabeF View Post
    Assuming the colors are the same as the current lineup, that dark grey one might be the new Smuggler other folks were talking about. That's just me guessing, I have no way of knowing.
    I can't imagine they are going to keep the same colors for a new model! But you could be right that its a "new" Smuggler painted to match the current colorway.

Lets hope they are just using current colorway to disguise the bikes underneath.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

The OG Scout is a massively different bike to the Sentinel. If the rumor about the new Scout being 140mm rear is accurate then it will be a fair bit more bike than the original playful Scout, not a real replacement IMO.

I gave up waiting on the Scout and got myself a carbon Smuggler. It's very playful as well, but the larger wheels take away a little from the berm slashing shenanigans that my OG Limeade Scout had going for it.

The new Scout, whatever it may be still looks rad though. Even if it has a wee bit more travel, I think it'd just be a case of adapting to that and getting back to looking for every possibility of boosting off small trail obstacles and landing in the next corner. Those were good bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    The OG Scout is a massively different bike to the Sentinel. If the rumor about the new Scout being 140mm rear is accurate then it will be a fair bit more bike than the original playful Scout, not a real replacement IMO.

I gave up waiting on the Scout and got myself a carbon Smuggler. It's very playful as well, but the larger wheels take away a little from the berm slashing shenanigans that my OG Limeade Scout had going for it.

The new Scout, whatever it may be still looks rad though. Even if it has a wee bit more travel, I think it'd just be a case of adapting to that and getting back to looking for every possibility of boosting off small trail obstacles and landing in the next corner. Those were good bikes.
    I demoed the Smuggler and I just didnít ďfeel it.Ē Iím sure if I gave it more time I could have set it up better and gotten used to it, but the OG Scout will always go down in my book as a bike that changed the way I thought about how much fun MTBíing can be. I really am crossing my fingers the bike doesnít grow/change/morph too much. Keep it nimble with short chain stays, short travel out back for poppy/playful feeling......I want to be able to catch air from launching off of acorn tops again!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I demoed the Smuggler and I just didnít ďfeel it.Ē Iím sure if I gave it more time I could have set it up better and gotten used to it, but the OG Scout will always go down in my book as a bike that changed the way I thought about how much fun MTBíing can be. I really am crossing my fingers the bike doesnít grow/change/morph too much. Keep it nimble with short chain stays, short travel out back for poppy/playful feeling......I want to be able to catch air from launching off of acorn tops again!!!
    Oh I know man. I raced DH for years, slowed down and just got into doing weekend shuttles with the mates. Got really out of shape and decided to get a trail bike to lose weight. I bought a Giant Trance initially but it was horrible and boring and the wheels were flexy as hell. I demo'ed a Scout and couldn't stop smiling, went back and bought one. I did well over 10,000km on that little Scout all over Australia. XC, Enduro and marathon events, even a beginner cyclo-cross race. Skate parks, BMX tracks, National DH courses. I broke a chainstay on it (warrantied) and towards the end it was getting very rough looking, but my girlfriend has stolen it now and left me out looking for a replacement.

The new alloy frames are like 4kg though which is friggen mental, so I'm giving the carbon Smuggler a go instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I broke a chainstay on it (warrantied) and towards the end it was getting very rough looking, but my girlfriend has stolen it now and left me out looking for a replacement.

The new alloy frames are like 4kg though which is friggen mental, so I'm giving the carbon Smuggler a go instead.
    The guy I sold my Scout to broke a chainstay on that bike too. I think it was common on the OG Giddy Up bikes. I think that's why the weight of the new frames got so heavy. They really beefed up the frames for SBG and I'll admit they were heavy, but it was because of all the reinforcements they did to areas like chainstays and putting dual bearings on those pivots. Frame just looked massive. I had mine just under 32lbs with a GX build, which wasn't horrible.

I'm hoping the new Scout Carbon is 30lbs or less.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So Pinkbike every year does a thing called the Annual Field Test. They go up to Whistler and test a bunch of different bikes in different categories and they say in this video they "only test new chassis."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...ield-test.html

Mike Levy posted the first bike they will be testing and that's the Norco Optic. A short travel 29'er that to me sounds a lot like a Transition Scout or Smuggler. They say the bike is "gravity tuned," or puts the rider in a more centered position........sounds a lot like SBG to me.....!!!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...rail-bike.html

So what does all this mean and why am I posting it here? Well I have a broken wrist from a MTB injury and I can't ride, so I spend an enormous time making things up in my head....here is the latest bit of nonsense I have come up with.

We saw a new bike of some sort from the pics on Instagram. The new head tube is a giveaway that there's something coming....a new chassis. We don't know yet but whatever it is should be tested along side the new Norco Optic right? A short travel bike that its numbers don't represent its actual capabilities. That sounds like a Scout to me. Mike talks about "what the Optic is for?" Short travel with modern reach and four piston brakes......c'mon this is the Scout!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I saw an Instagram post of the TR crew at Whistler a few days ago, although now I cant find it.

Put all these together

Pinkbike Annual Field Test (occurs in Whistler each year)

TR crew hanging in Whistler

Norco Optic is a copy of the Scout or Smuggler

We saw a new frame from TR on Instagram

We got a recipe for a new bike....maybe a Scout, maybe a redesigned Smuggler?

The bad news is it looks like Pinkbike doesn't publish the Annual Field Test until January?

The wait is miserable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That new Optic looks awesome. Apparently the new Sight is supposed to be a Sentinel-killer as well.

Glad to see some of the more economical manufacturers putting out great stuff like this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That new Optic looks awesome. Apparently the new Sight is supposed to be a Sentinel-killer as well.

Glad to see some of the more economical manufacturers putting out great stuff like this.
    I see all the Optics are carbon framed for 2020, and they have a build for $3599! That's $400 less than most manufactures entry level carbon builds. Usually its $3999 for an NX build with Revelation or Yari. They are doing it with RockShox Pike Select and RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate. That's pretty damn good.

I have purchased NX builds and don't mind the NX drivetrain at all. The only real drawback is the weight.....it shifts pretty good for the price. What I dont like about the entry level builds are the fork and shock is usually the lowest level (Yari, Revelation, or Fox Rythm) or something that you have to upgrade immediately.

The Norco entry level gives you a good platform to start. Carbon frame and a pretty descent fork and shock. Well done! Upgrade the other stuff when you can and its a good deal!

Unfortunately it has a press fit BB and wagon wheels so its off my radar, however, I like the build kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just saw another review on the Optic. Rear triangle is aluminum. Maybe that's how they are keeping the price a little lower?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Gonna be a long winter!

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-74b73bb0-3782-40f9-a88d-602af595950b.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Looks like we'll be moving in a different direction. My son isn't down for waiting until January.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks like we'll be moving in a different direction. My son isn't down for waiting until January.
    That's for the release. Judging by previous releases, they'll announce it in January and it won't be ready for the public until April.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    That's for the release. Judging by previous releases, they'll announce it in January and it won't be ready for the public until April.
    I purchased my 2018 Scout SBG after they made the press release in August. Had to wait until they got back in stock because I missed the first batch that went up on their site. Had the new bike in February directly from TR website. So this might be longer wait if they donít announce soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I purchased my 2018 Scout SBG after they made the press release in August. Had to wait until they got back in stock because I missed the first batch that went up on their site. Had the new bike in February directly from TR website. So this might be longer wait if they donít announce soon.
    I ordered my Smuggler Carbon the day it was announced. It didn't show up until mid-late April I know there were some folks that got them before that, but everyone I know that did was a shop owner or somehow connected to Transition.

It was a bit frustrating considering the same frame was discounted by 15% in June, 2 months later.

These smaller manufacturers seem to have more difficulty lining up their releases with availability, I'd generally expect a considerable wait time beyond the time of release.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ordered my Smuggler Carbon the day it was announced. It didn't show up until mid-late April I know there were some folks that got them before that, but everyone I know that did was a shop owner or somehow connected to Transition.

It was a bit frustrating considering the same frame was discounted by 15% in June, 2 months later.

These smaller manufacturers seem to have more difficulty lining up their releases with availability, I'd generally expect a considerable wait time beyond the time of release.
    I agree. If you can wait out all the excitement and new bike desire, buying a bike before the new colorways come out can save you 35% from some manufactures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Yes!

mtbr member

Iím considering about getting 1 of each. How ya like them apples?

My Pinot Noir needs a little brother.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone know what Transition is in the photo below?

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17897117/

The only non-Trunnion mount Transition bikes are the Scout and Smuggler, but look at the lower shock mount. All the current bikes, the mount runs the full length of the lower portion of the down tube, but this one terminates before it meets the seat tube.

The rocker link also looks different and is cut out, instead of solid like current models

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

The only non-Trunnion mount Transition bikes are the Scout and Smuggler, but look at the lower shock mount. All the current bikes, the mount runs the full length of the lower portion of the down tube, but this one terminates before it meets the seat tube.

The rocker link also looks different and is cut out, instead of solid like current models
    Looks like a 2017 carbon Patrol

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frame...et-2017-p18765

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks like a 2017 carbon Patrol
    Ah, yup, you are right :/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

The original Patrol, Scout, and Smuggler were non-trunnion shocks. 2015, 2016.

As a note, the 2017 Patrol had a modified bell-crank linkage that used the trunnion mounted SuperDeluxe and had a more progressive leverage curve. That was only on the Patrol for one year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No new info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Second hand, but I talked to a guy on an older Scout yesterday who is looking to upgrade and Transition told him to look for something at the end of ski season. Ugh, if that's true then probably close to a year for general availability?

I'm hoping that's wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Must be tough to decide when to launch a new bike. Launch it in the spring and hope it builds enough reviews and excitement to catch the sales in prime riding season, or launch it in the middle of winter, and hope you can get the press to ride it somewhere relatively warm.....Texas, Arizona, etc.

Larger bike companies might have the press come out to some location thatís rideable year round, but the smaller companies might not be able to do so......especially if itís just one model in their lineup.

SBG was announced in August...had mine in February.

Iím not holding out any longer. I need a bike ready to ride as soon as spring hits here in the NE. Riding season is just too damn short to wait for the release of a bike that may or may not be what I need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Must be tough to decide when to launch a new bike. Launch it in the spring and hope it builds enough reviews and excitement to catch the sales in prime riding season, or launch it in the middle of winter, and hope you can get the press to ride it somewhere relatively warm.....Texas, Arizona, etc.

Larger bike companies might have the press come out to some location thatís rideable year round, but the smaller companies might not be able to do so......especially if itís just one model in their lineup.

SBG was announced in August...had mine in February.

Iím not holding out any longer. I need a bike ready to ride as soon as spring hits here in the NE. Riding season is just too damn short to wait for the release of a bike that may or may not be what I need.
    Transition are pretty poor at getting press to review their bikes.
    There are always way fewer review of TR bikes than other makes.
    Hardly anyone has reviewed the vanquish or throttle for example.

Iíve bought a nukeproof reactor now. Chainstays are 5mm longer but everything else is spot on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    Second hand, but I talked to a guy on an older Scout yesterday who is looking to upgrade and Transition told him to look for something at the end of ski season. Ugh, if that's true then probably close to a year for general availability?

I'm hoping that's wrong.
    In talking with some of the Transition guys at a recent event, I think that February is likely for the announcement with availability in April/May. Conversations were very vague and guarded, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    In talking with some of the Transition guys at a recent event, I think that February is likely for the announcement with availability in April/May. Conversations were very vague and guarded, though.

This scenario is what I want to avoid. If the bike is a hit the first batch will be sold out in no time, then you gotta wait.

Oh well, I got something in my crosshairs. Shorter chainstays than the Scout, and ability to run 120,130, or 140mm travel!
    2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-05c23464-087b-49b6-8162-56ba3787e2d6.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Transition are pretty poor at getting press to review their bikes.
    There are always way fewer review of TR bikes than other makes.
    Hardly anyone has reviewed the vanquish or throttle for example.

Iíve bought a nukeproof reactor now. Chainstays are 5mm longer but everything else is spot on.
    I find the Reactor pretty interesting. The only review I found said that the suspension was deliberately tuned pretty soft, but that it somehow still pedaled well. What's your impression on how it pedals with the shock open.

Around here, you are constantly changing from up to down, so having something that pedals decently without having to flip a switch is a must. My SBG Patrol pedals really well for a Horst link bike. While my 2016 Stumpjumper just sucked the life out of you without using the trail mode at least.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    I am guessing a carbon Scout with 140mm rear travel with a revamped linkage designed for hard hits.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Heard from a reliable source that the new Scout is either December or February for launch. There are a few bikes coming, but he couldn't remember what order they were coming out. Also it will be longer travel than the current Scout, so the 140 bet is pretty good it sounds like unless they go bigger.

Sounds like a new Smuggler with more travel is also coming.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    Heard from a reliable source that the new Scout is either December or February for launch. There are a few bikes coming, but he couldn't remember what order they were coming out. Also it will be longer travel than the current Scout, so the 140 bet is pretty good it sounds like unless they go bigger.

Sounds like a new Smuggler with more travel is also coming.
    Seems weird...150/140 Scout?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pinkbike did not test the Scout in their annual field test. I was hoping that would be the first review.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have an almost perfect condition Large 2017 Carbon Scout I am getting ready to list for sale. If anyone is tired of waiting or prefer the numbers on the older version message me an I can get you details and pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There is a bike that has been intentionally blurred out on the video from TR Company Trip

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-d29fd71c-23ee-4dc2-a360-cd64fc77c608.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Check out this cover up!

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-e1efdc33-5a33-4b08-94df-2fe966e82094.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Either a new color blue for an existing bike, or this is a new model.

Keep it tight but loose!

2020 Scout in Carbon coming?-da293195-ebc0-4c97-a894-fa6458705f20.jpg

mtbr member
    Gee, a bike company on a company riding outing riding future products and blurring them out?

Some may see conspiracy... I see marketing smarts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Gee, a bike company on a company riding outing riding future products and blurring them out?

Some may see conspiracy... I see marketing smarts.
    I see new bikes?