2017 Scout Carbon or 2018 Scout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 Scout Carbon or 2018 Scout?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a bike. I pretty much zeroed in on a Scout last year. I don't have a chance to get on a 2018, but I'm pretty intrigued by SBG. I have the oportunity to get a new 2017 Scout Carbon. It has a build kit very similar to the GX build on the 2018 Scout. The bike is priced about $350 less than a new 2018 Scout GX. So nearly $2000 off msrp.

I'm coming off a 2011 Pivot Mach 5.7 and will likely keep this bike 5+ years. IS SBG mainly a benefit on the downhill stuff? I ride a lot of tight, twisty, slower stuff and the length of the new Scout is a bit concerning. I do like to get rowdy when the trail points down, but do plenty of climbing too and want the best all-around tool. I'm not a weight weenie, but my last 32lb+ bike was a pig to pedal all day so I'm a bit concerned with the weight.

So similar build but one is carbon, lighter, older geometry and a bit cheaper. So is SBG worth the $350 and ~2.7lb weight penalty? Which one would you choose?

ride
    the original geo Scout is a super rad bike. Buy it and don't look back.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    the original geo Scout is a super rad bike. Buy it and don't look back.
    I'm kind of leaning that way. If I'm always waiting for the latest I'll never buy something.

Another question: Anyone who has seen the blood orange in person...does it look orange or red? I've seen pics where it went both ways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I'm kind of leaning that way. If I'm always waiting for the latest I'll never buy something.

Another question: Anyone who has seen the blood orange in person...does it look orange or red? I've seen pics where it went both ways.
    I owned a 2015 Scout in alloy and now own a 2018 SBG Scout in Habanereo Orange. I understand your dilemma and would be torn between the two........I actually was. After owning and selling the 15 Scout I wanted another Scout and was going to buy the carbon version. Right around the same time I was shopping for the carbon version the SBG was introduced.......I had to take a leap of faith. Demo on a SBG would have been hard to do. I knew the original would ride great....but how would the SBG compare? So glad I went with the SBG. It is everything the original was but now its more composed and capable. I never can really explain the feeling of the SBG but it feels like you have more control of the bike in every scenario.....its strange. More planted, better traction, better climber, better cornering, it is all around a more capable bike.

You will have fun on both bikes no doubt. Each bike is pretty great......I just cant stand buying bikes with out of date components. Whatever is next is around the corner so my SBG Scout is almost out of date!

The blood orange is a tricky color......in person it is more red in my eyes. On the screen its more orange.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    I owned a 2015 Scout in alloy and now own a 2018 SBG Scout in Habanereo Orange. I understand your dilemma and would be torn between the two........I actually was. After owning and selling the 15 Scout I wanted another Scout and was going to buy the carbon version. Right around the same time I was shopping for the carbon version the SBG was introduced.......I had to take a leap of faith. Demo on a SBG would have been hard to do. I knew the original would ride great....but how would the SBG compare? So glad I went with the SBG. It is everything the original was but now its more composed and capable. I never can really explain the feeling of the SBG but it feels like you have more control of the bike in every scenario.....its strange. More planted, better traction, better climber, better cornering, it is all around a more capable bike.

You will have fun on both bikes no doubt. Each bike is pretty great......I just cant stand buying bikes with out of date components. Whatever is next is around the corner so my SBG Scout is almost out of date!

The blood orange is a tricky color......in person it is more red in my eyes. On the screen its more orange.
    My internal battle! Right when I think I've made up my mind I flop again. Haha So for about equal money you'd go SBG AL vs '17 Carbon and take the 2.5ish lb weight penalty?

Good to know on the blood orange. I don't want a red bike really. As dumb as it sounds, if the SBG Scout had the Ponderosa Green option from the Patrol that would be enough to make up my mind between the '17 and '18.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Not having ridden either (but looking to buy a scout soon) I would opt for AL. For the bike's intention, I would just feel more comfortable on an AL vs. Carbon. Also SBG is also highly praised by pretty much every review so I would wait for that.

'19's should be out soon with some new colors if you are willing to wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    My internal battle! Right when I think I've made up my mind I flop again. Haha So for about equal money you'd go SBG AL vs '17 Carbon and take the 2.5ish lb weight penalty?
    I was concerned about the weight no doubt. My previous bike was just under 28lbs. I had a carbon Nomad CC so it was 4lbs I was adding to my bike! Next year I will put it on a diet and hopefully shed 1.5lb-2lbs. Honestly though I ride in upstate NY and NE and we donít have long extended climbs that require lite weight bikes that help conserve energy. Our climbs are short and punchy/technical climbs with no reward at the end, just more short punchy/technical downs. Thatís why Iím really liking the SBG Scout. It really does give you better control of the bike. I tried explaining it before in another forum post.....and the only way I can seem to do it was my track stand explanation. The first time I did a track stand on my SBG it was so effortless that I thought I could hold it forever. You get that same feeling when riding technical terrain, up or downhill. The bike responds to your inputs very naturally and great balance while riding.

Iíll put it this way. The OG Scout is fun, the SBG Scout is fun with more control.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    Not having ridden either (but looking to buy a scout soon) I would opt for AL. For the bike's intention, I would just feel more comfortable on an AL vs. Carbon. Also SBG is also highly praised by pretty much every review so I would wait for that.

'19's should be out soon with some new colors if you are willing to wait.
    Iíve had 4 carbons bikes and I was skeptical about the carbon in the beginning. I wouldnít worry too much about. If I had the money and they made a carbon SBG Scout I would definitely take it over the alloy.

mtbr member
    I was concerned about the weight no doubt. My previous bike was just under 28lbs. I had a carbon Nomad CC so it was 4lbs I was adding to my bike! Next year I will put it on a diet and hopefully shed 1.5lb-2lbs. Honestly though I ride in upstate NY and NE and we donít have long extended climbs that require lite weight bikes that help conserve energy. Our climbs are short and punchy/technical climbs with no reward at the end, just more short punchy/technical downs. Thatís why Iím really liking the SBG Scout. It really does give you better control of the bike. I tried explaining it before in another forum post.....and the only way I can seem to do it was my track stand explanation. The first time I did a track stand on my SBG it was so effortless that I thought I could hold it forever. You get that same feeling when riding technical terrain, up or downhill. The bike responds to your inputs very naturally and great balance while riding.

Iíll put it this way. The OG Scout is fun, the SBG Scout is fun with more control.
    Good stuff. I had read that report of yours I think. I'm in the PNW and also have a lot of tight twisty relatively slow trails with short punchy climbs and descents. That's probably 50-75% of my riding. But then in the summer the big rides open up and I spend more time on big climbs with big descents. I was worried about the longer wheelbase in tight stuff and the weight for long days. The Scout wheelbase is actually longer than the Smuggler somehow.

I'm not worried about carbon frames either. Especially buying new with warranty. I don't tend to break much gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    A question,

In all reviews it is commented that the Scout is noted as having more suspension than it really has. But the reality looking at the Linkage is that it is an almost linear system, so I find this statement strange.

Of other bikes the same thing is said, for example Evil The Calling, but in that case it makes sense since it is a very progressive system.

Is it really hard to get the rubber on the Scout or is it pure marketing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bartmikel View Post
    A question,

In all reviews it is commented that the Scout is noted as having more suspension than it really has. But the reality looking at the Linkage is that it is an almost linear system, so I find this statement strange.

Of other bikes the same thing is said, for example Evil The Calling, but in that case it makes sense since it is a very progressive system.

Is it really hard to get the rubber on the Scout or is it pure marketing?
    Itís not marketing hype..........it rides bigger than a 130mm bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Anyone have insight on the differences between the og carbon vs alluminum scout? Is carbon a worthwhile upgrade or not noticable for the money?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jknoxville01 View Post
    Anyone have insight on the differences between the og carbon vs alluminum scout? Is carbon a worthwhile upgrade or not noticable for the money?
    From my research I didnít get the impression itís the burliest carbon build ever, so my guess is that riding improvement will primarily be from less weight. Hopefully someone whoís had both will chime in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    OG Carbon vs OG alloy or OG Carbon vs SBG alloy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    OG Carbon vs OG alloy or OG Carbon vs SBG alloy?
    Og vs og carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Og vs og carbon
    OG carbon for the reduced weight and stiffness,if your looking OG vs OG.

I would always go carbon for the weight and stiffness. Unfortunately when I bought my OG Scout the carbon hadn't been introduced.

That being said, the SBG alloy is one of the stoutest, stiffest frames I have ridden. If you can swing the $ the SBG alloy is built like a tank.....its heavy...but stiff!