Would you cut this limb?- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Would you cut this limb?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be removed

14 87.50%
  • Keep it there

2 12.50%
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Would you cut this limb?

This limb was on a local trail of mine. The limb in question is located right in front of the bridge. It had fallen down some time ago. The size and location combine to force people to walk or ride over it instead of creating a new trail (there's no easy way around to the left or right), so at least that isn't a factor. It does make getting on the bridge more challenging though. Would you cut this, or leave it?

Would you cut this limb?-20171216_093504.jpg

Rent this space for $
    As an arborist, that has serious HAZARD written all over given that you mention it had fallen so I am assuming that it is either detached or connected by a scant bit of tissue at its proximal end? If that's the case, it's not safe and is only a game of russian roulette as to who the eventual recipient of its wrath will be when it finally detaches, shifts, and twists as it falls....which it WILL at some point. That ISN'T an acceptable trail hazard.

mtbr member
    Agreed, I would cut that yesterday!

If people like an obstacle there, cut the hazard and use the wood to make a designed / purposeful obstacle.
    Last edited by roughster; 12-28-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Add some wording

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, the trail is right over that lowest part (where the V is). Riders don't go under it. So there's no safety issue in terms of that, at least.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Well, the trail is right over that lowest part (where the V is). Riders don't go under it. So there's no safety issue in terms of that, at least.
    Clearly, you've never seen the reactive forces and movement of hundreds of pounds worth of tree limb when it detaches from it's parent stem. That branch and it's odd geometry could EASILY kill someone should it let loose at the most inappropriate time. I've been working with stuff like that for over 30 years in the trade. Even the removal of that should be done with experience and great caution. Those silly looking seemingly mundane "little" issues can turn into nightmares if not approached correctly and safely.

Is this on private land or within a municipal park or riding area? If the latter, I'd forward the issue to the land manager as I assure you they'd be very interested in mitigating the problem quickly.

Yeah!
    A straightforward felling of a 4" tree can be fatal. Does it get safer or less safe when it's leaning against another tree? Though it may only be a branch, what you've got there is a widowmaker in waiting. It needs to come down post-haste, before it injures or kills someone. Imagine that taking out a child...
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

WillWorkForTrail
    Cut it.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    A straightforward felling of a 4" tree can be fatal. Does it get safer or less safe when it's leaning against another tree? Though it may only be a branch, what you've got there is a widowmaker in waiting. It needs to come down post-haste, before it injures or kills someone. Imagine that taking out a child...
    Perhaps the "does it get safer" question was rhetorical but I thought I'd make the comment that in my experiences, those "leaners" can truly be the most tricky and dangerous to deal with. It takes a lot of experience to be able to predict how they'll react and where to make the smartest release cut and be in the safest place when they do come down. Most of the time, I'd always have my crews rig those with a block located above the butt end and maybe even run a Hobbs Lowering Device to easily control the limb once free. Maybe making mountains out of molehills in some instances but having seen the results from similar "simple" removals gone wrong, it's just not worth the risk because bad, bad results can come instantaneously.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Seems dramatic to talk about it being "fatal", though I suppose it could be. Odds are good it'll fall during a storm when no one's out. That being said, I'd cut it since playing the odds with safety is irresposible at best.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd leave it and ride it. Makes it more interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    cut

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. Thanks for the replies. I was actually in the area with a chainsaw that day, but didn't end up cutting it, although I was on the fence. I generally only cut when it will cause people to create a trail braid. Since that wasn't really the case, I decided not to cut it. It was also down long enough to kind of start to become a trail feature.

The posted pic was taken about 2 weeks ago. Oddly enough, in that time span, someone did decide to cut it, although they did it in an odd spot which still left the trail (bridge) impeded.

I'll have to go in at some point and finish the job.

I do appreciate all of the responses. It does help me align my views on maintenance vs. trail sanitation to keep it a fun and safe trail for all.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the replies. I was actually in the area with a chainsaw that day, but didn't end up cutting it, although I was on the fence. I generally only cut when it will cause people to create a trail braid. Since that wasn't really the case, I decided not to cut it. It was also down long enough to kind of start to become a trail feature.

The posted pic was taken about 2 weeks ago. Oddly enough, in that time span, someone did decide to cut it, although they did it in an odd spot which still left the trail (bridge) impeded.

I'll have to go in at some point and finish the job.

I do appreciate all of the responses. It does help me align my views on maintenance vs. trail sanitation to keep it a fun and safe trail for all.

If you are the guy busting your butt out their hauling a chainsaw around, you get to decide. If others are not happy with your sweat they can go f*ck themselves.

Short of intentionally destroying another person's built feature someone really has to go out of their way to truly mess up a trail. Its the ultimate uptight white guy - control freak who bitch's about another's trail work when it does not truly wreck a trail. And no - moving a few rocks, roots, or making small re-routes does not destroy a trail.

A 5 ton skidder hauling trees over acres of trail; a new road blasted in; a housing development; a golf course; zero maintenance in half a decade... those are things that truly destroy a trail.

I have a healthy disdain for egotistical pr*cks who've decided only they can judge if another's sweat is worthy. They will couch their judgement in BS, arbitrary, man-made "rules", rather than applying reason to the situation.

If you've got fifty guys out there running saws and swinging pick n shovel every day, well then maybe some "coordination" is warranted, otherwise, I stand by what I said.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

Short of intentionally destroying another person's built feature someone really has to go out of their way to truly mess up a trail. Its the ultimate uptight white guy - control freak who bitch's about another's trail work....

I'm pretty sure we decided in the "other" thread that only 'white guys' ride mtb's (as proven by videos) so I'm not sure why that particular tidbit needed to be said but thanks for that.