Working on a fundraising tool for trail advocacy. Let me know what you think?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Idea! Working on a fundraising tool for trail advocacy. Let me know what you think?

Hey MTBR,

I've been working on a project, I call it Trail Care. Check it out: https://www.trail.care

A little background: I live in Santa Barbara where our trails have been mostly destroyed by wildfire and mudslides. I was trying to think of a creative way to fundraise for the rebuilding effort and as a programmer this is what I came up with. It's been helping us here but it works anywhere for any trail group that signs up. So far I've been really pleased with the response it's gotten.

The program makes it super easy for trail users to donate to trail groups by uploading their rides to Strava. If the rider has ridden in an area that is taken care of by a trail group, they'll get an email asking if they'd like to donate, and can do so by pressing a single button. The amount based on usage: cents/mile, which is configurable by the user.

I'm not monetizing this in any way. All the donations go directly to the groups.

So far there are 9 groups participating in the program, mostly on the west coast. Here is the list.

I'm posting this here for suggestions, feedback and ideas. And of course if anyone would like to sign up that'd be cool too. So whaddya think?

P.S. In before the Strava hate: I'm aware many people don't use, or like, or even support the existence of Strava. But this kind of thing wouldn't really be feasible without it, so there's that

WillWorkForTrail
    I looked at this for about 5 minutes and forwarded the link on to our chapter trail boss/IT guy. This seems like a brilliant idea. An easy way to say hey, if you like it, kick in a little bit to help us keep it. If you don't like it, kick in a little to help us make it better.

since 4/10/2009
    This looks pretty cool. It looks particularly cool to capture some donations from at least some people who might be visiting your trails and who otherwise would be less likely to donate anything at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    This looks pretty cool. It looks particularly cool to capture some donations from at least some people who might be visiting your trails and who otherwise would be less likely to donate anything at all.
    This is one of the main things I think is attractive about this program. It would be real boon for bike tourist destinations like Oakridge OR, Moab UT or Sedona AZ (which is now participating) that have a relatively small permanent population but tons of visitors.

mtb'er
    That's pretty neat. If someone keeps their ride private on Strava, will he/she still get an email suggesting a donation (for the area he/she rode)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great idea. Good to see SDMBA on board. I will try it out

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    That's pretty neat. If someone keeps their ride private on Strava, will he/she still get an email suggesting a donation (for the area he/she rode)?
    Prob not. There are lots of things you can't do if your rides are private.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    No, Trail Care only asks for permission to see your public activities on Strava. Eventually I'd like to add the ability to upload gps tracks using other methods, so then you could do whatever you want. But that's down the line a bit.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by RustPuddle View Post
    No, Trail Care only asks for permission to see your public activities on Strava. Eventually I'd like to add the ability to upload gps tracks using other methods, so then you could do whatever you want. But that's down the line a bit.
    Thanks. Besides the obvious legit trails, I thought it might be nice to ping people riding trails that don't exist on maps ;-)

mtbr member
    It's neat and BONC adopted it. The only potential downside I can think of is if it might deter donors from making otherwise larger contributions thinking they had already donated. But betting against it FWIW. I foresee using this personally for road trip trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This is a great idea. I can't figure out quite how to use it--it knows who I am after logging in, but can I review where I've ridden to see if I should donate for past rides? Or only future? Or what? The home page says 'connect with strava' even after I'm logged in.

I suggested this feature to Strava before. Imagine: you can get a KOM or QOM. How about KOD, King Of Donations, for a trail.

Trailforks has something similar too. But having this directly in Strava would make this much much easier... maybe it's time to ping them again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    This is a great idea. I can't figure out quite how to use it--it knows who I am after logging in, but can I review where I've ridden to see if I should donate for past rides? Or only future? Or what? The home page says 'connect with strava' even after I'm logged in.

I suggested this feature to Strava before. Imagine: you can get a KOM or QOM. How about KOD, King Of Donations, for a trail.

Trailforks has something similar too. But having this directly in Strava would make this much much easier... maybe it's time to ping them again.
    Hey mbmtb, thanks for signing up. You'll only receive emails for future rides, so really there is nothing to do as far as using it. Go for a ride, check your email. This is by design, I wanted the whole experience to be as frictionless as possible - really just a background process.

Good idea: I should remove the connect with strava button from the home page if you are logged in.

I can't imagine Strava wouldn't be into the idea. It would make them look pretty good. But there is some admin overhead which doesn't really fit in with their current business model. I'm pretty sure Trailforks has donate buttons, but they just link to an organizations donation page or paypal account. So not quite the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OK; my suggestion is to make it clear. Once I hit connect, and when visiting the home page, say something like "OK, we're watching your rides and will let you know when it's time to donate" or whatnot. And maybe offer some sort of 'check my rides for the past {month,year,10 rides,???}' one time button. Which might just send (a bunch?) of email messages, to show how it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    OK; my suggestion is to make it clear. Once I hit connect, and when visiting the home page, say something like "OK, we're watching your rides and will let you know when it's time to donate" or whatnot. And maybe offer some sort of 'check my rides for the past {month,year,10 rides,???}' one time button. Which might just send (a bunch?) of email messages, to show how it works.
    Mbmtb, that's a really good suggestion. I just made an update so when someone signs in for the first time, we check their latest activities and if one of them matches, we'll send them an email, like you said, to show them how it works. I've also remove the "connect with strava" button on the homepage if you're logged in.

Cheers, and thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I joined. Look for the information for an additional group of trails.

A few thoughts/notes though:

* There is no way to decided when you get notifications, either every ride or say a weekly.

* I understand its harvesting the email from Strava, but the text in Settings tab is unclear on that.

* Some people use a separate "social media" email account and a primary. It would be nice to have a "email over ride" field that would copy emails to a second address if you so wish.

mtbr member
    This looks like a great idea. I sent in a letter of interest, Thanks!

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey MTBR,

I've been working on a project, I call it Trail Care. Check it out: https://www.trail.care

A little background: I live in Santa Barbara where our trails have been mostly destroyed by wildfire and mudslides. I was trying to think of a creative way to fundraise for the rebuilding effort and as a programmer this is what I came up with. It's been helping us here but it works anywhere for any trail group that signs up. So far I've been really pleased with the response it's gotten.

The program makes it super easy for trail users to donate to trail groups by uploading their rides to Strava. If the rider has ridden in an area that is taken care of by a trail group, they'll get an email asking if they'd like to donate, and can do so by pressing a single button. The amount based on usage: cents/mile, which is configurable by the user.

I'm not monetizing this in any way. All the donations go directly to the groups.

So far there are 9 groups participating in the program, mostly on the west coast. Here is the list.

I'm posting this here for suggestions, feedback and ideas. And of course if anyone would like to sign up that'd be cool too. So whaddya think?

P.S. In before the Strava hate: I'm aware many people don't use, or like, or even support the existence of Strava. But this kind of thing wouldn't really be feasible without it, so there's that
    Thank you for your efforts. We (CORP IMBA chapter) signed up. I'm not a Strava person but I appreciate what you did and any fundraising efforts. If making some noise about this helps you can visit our Home Page - madcitydirt.com site or https://www.facebook.com/corp.mtb.msn/ site.

Thanks again.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Rent this space for $
    Glad to have run across this here on the site as we, CCCMB / Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers, are talking about the program currently. I'm trying to see a downside to it and I'm having trouble finding one considering users are opting in on their own and not being solicited. We have a pretty strong local network of riders but at the same time, we are a destination for outside riders thanks to MdO State Park as well as the merits of our City of SLO trail networks so I think it would work for us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just want to say thanks to everyone who has contacted me over the last couple of weeks. The interest in Trail Care has been amazing. Lots of great suggestions and feedback.
    I'm just barely keeping up with joining requests so if you email me and I don't get back to you right away that's why. But I'll get through all of them as fast as I can, first come, first serve.

mtbr member
    I just want to say thanks to everyone who has contacted me over the last couple of weeks. The interest in Trail Care has been amazing. Lots of great suggestions and feedback.
    I'm just barely keeping up with joining requests so if you email me and I don't get back to you right away that's why. But I'll get through all of them as fast as I can, first come, first serve.
    OK, we're up and running. Thanks for the advocacy vision and all the help!