A win for the long game.- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

A win for the long game.

I haven't really been to this forum in ages; not since the project I was working had a huge "fail" in the form of a complete diss of the Conservation Futures submission for the parcels that comprise a local trail system. Two years of work with an NPS RTCS grants, a trail plan, tons of hour and we didn't even get a ranking. 2010, mucho burnout for most of us and our little tiny mtb club couldn't sustain itsel.f

Fast forward a bit. Some folks came over from Seattle, created the first "chapter" for Evergreen, and slowly, slowly, the project regained momentum. Not without fits and starts, but here we are, 10 year later and there is a whole new level of activity. The City and County are FINALLY talking to each other about linking everything up into a real park (instead of a mish mash of ownership) The developer who owns key parcels is talking. There's support for top ranking for Conservation Futures purchase.

Here's the clincher. Monday a fund drive was opened to raise a match to show we are competitive for a state RCO grant. $15K is needed to be raised. The community stepped up and the goal was met in less than 4 days; before noon today.

It's awesome. People begged me to get involved again for round 2 and I just couldn't. Those of you that have burned out understand. To watch things get moved forward by new folks, in a bigger and better way that we ever imagined back in '08, is so heartening. My job now is to make sure folks know the history of how we got here. It's been long enough and so many new players that no one but we old farts remember the first efforts.

Of course it's not a done deal. Millions may have to be raised before we are done. But the time feels right, and there are really good people working on it. Hats off to Evergreen East.

https://secure.givelively.org/donate...kebeaconpublic

K&K
    It's amazing how long these things can take. Sure is fun to hear about the new excitement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    glad to hear the good news, keep at it!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I just wish Evergreen was more open minded on eMTBs...

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    I just wish Evergreen was more open minded on eMTBs...
    Cheap shot -- especially given the fact you live across the country. The board and staff are regularly polling the membership on this issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Cheap shot -- especially given the fact you live across the country. The board and staff are regularly polling the membership on this issue.
    Ha, fair enough. I'm involved in a number of access discussions that are national in nature, and Evergreen has come up more than once for (presently) a very absolutist position.

Every time I think politics in the USA are polarizing, eMTB access raises the bar!

Cheers.

mtbr member
    By no means absolutist, more middle of the road. Our latest big mountain project, North Mtn in Darrington, WA, is 100% open to e-bikes.

Jan 2004
    Ha, fair enough. I'm involved in a number of access discussions that are national in nature, and Evergreen has come up more than once for (presently) a very absolutist position.

Every time I think politics in the USA are polarizing, eMTB access raises the bar!
    You should really pass this along to folks you encounter who claim that Evergreen's position is absolutist:

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/blog/up...-in-washington

And I agree that our politics in the US are polarized...much of that being driven by speculation and retweets, rather than facts.

beer thief
    Jeeze Rick, nothing like taking a dump on formica's uplifting thread. In reality, advocacy groups have very little say regarding ebike policy. That is typically up to the land manager/owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Jeeze Rick, nothing like taking a dump on formica's uplifting thread. In reality, advocacy groups have very little say regarding ebike policy. That is typically up to the land manager/owner.
    I do apologize. Not my intent. I guess I was just battle weary and took someone else's data regarding the state of eMTB in WA as factual when it was not. I was wrong and I admit it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    By no means absolutist, more middle of the road. Our latest big mountain project, North Mtn in Darrington, WA, is 100% open to e-bikes.
    Great to hear. I apologize for my inaccurate comments. I will do a better job of verifying information I receive next time.

Jan 2004
    Great to hear. I apologize for my inaccurate comments. I will do a better job of verifying information I receive next time.
    Not a lot of people would take the time to correct their remarks. That was a genuinely classy move. We're living in increasingly weird times, and even small acts of civility make everything a little bit better. I thank you, Rick, and I apologize that my tone could have been less caustic.

For me personally, the last week has put a lot of things into perspective. We will be back to "normal" some day soon-ish, I hope, and I'd like to try taking this time to think about how we can all better work together as an mtb community, ebike or not.

saddlemeat
    Great news!

Implementation is no cakewalk either, even after funding is achieved, so steady she goes.

Our current project was 25 years in the making, was given a $1,700,000 check for implementation, and it's still a long way off. But I guess it's better than nothing. Make sure you have fun along the way.
    I ride with the best dogs.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    ...To watch things get moved forward by new folks, in a bigger and better way than we ever imagined back in '08, is so heartening. ...
    Amen!

...and 10 yrs. seems to be kinda average for these projects (unfortunate but true)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.