Who'd Have Thunk?- Mtbr.com
    Weiner Dog Connoiseur

Who'd Have Thunk?

On Wednesday, November 9th, five members of MORE (Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts), attended a meeting regarding the future of Little Bennett Regional Park, a 3,600 acre park in Clarksburg, Maryland (not far from the other MORE designed and maintained trails at Schaeffer Farms, Hoyles Mill Connector and Black Hills). Little Bennett has a trail system that is based on old farm roads and is of poor design. Half of the trails are hiker-only, while the remaining half is multi-use. Little Bennett is definitely horse country and the crowd that attended the meeting was very heavily equestrian oriented.

When we broke up into stations to discuss the various aspects of the park, the trails section was flooded with people...five of us in a sea of equestrian supporters. However, the comments from the equestrians were surprising. "We need to get those bicycle people in there" one of them said "They really know how to build trails". Another one suggested opening up ALL the trails to multi-use and then turning it over to the "Bicycle people" to redesign them. Finally at the end of the meeting, one equestrian supporter came up to us and asked "Are you the mountain biking boys?". Why yes, yes were are. We had a pleasant conversation with her as well. At one point, I turned to one of the other MORE members and asked "Did you ever think you'd see the day where equestrians WANTED bicycle people?".

Given MORE's excellent track record with the construction and maintenance Schaeffer Farms and Hoyles Mill, the governing body of the park (the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission) will most likely be very receptive to any plans for trail redesign that MORE has to offer. I think the future of Little Bennett Regional Park is going to be very bright.

Don't worry, be happy!
    that's excellent.

Maybe about 10-15 years ago at one of our local state parks, there was a trail building event. The organizer made sure that in each work crew there was a mix of users: a hiker, horse person and a biker. Our IMBA rep was there that day, and he was telling me that it was a really great experience for all involved to get to know some other user types by working with them, and to find out more and understand each's trail likes/dislikes/needs. I think this event helped to build some of the good cross user group relationships that we have around here today.

formica

Members who have read this thread: 0