Whats states or places are ebikes not messed with in the forest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Whats states or places are ebikes not messed with in the forest?

I live in Montana and from what I understand the forest service doesnt allow ebikes.

When I retire I would like to move somewhere that my house basically borders forest and want to ebike without harassment so I am looking for suggestions.

Class Clown
    Perhaps there needs to be a senior and disabled pass for ebikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The Forest Service does passively/actively allow eBikes on many trails where they actively ban motorcycles. They are in the process of allowing hem everywhere. Don't move yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just to clarify, USFS in MT allows e-bikes on motorized trails, not on non-motorized trails (as far as I know this is how they operate in other states too). IDK what part of MT you are in, but you should check out Pipestone. Motors allowed, it has a long riding season, huge, dries quickly in the lower areas and has singletrack and cool rock features. I ride my MTB there, but having a little extra power would be nice for steep or sandy sections.

Quote Originally Posted by figofspee View Post
    The Forest Service does passively/actively allow eBikes on many trails where they actively ban motorcycles. They are in the process of allowing hem everywhere. Don't move yet.

Cite proof of this please.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Duplicate post.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    This is a prime example of an opinion being passed off as fact. If people would simply use phrases such as "In my opinion, I believe ---------" we all can have meaningful dialog and have a good chance to identify possible solutions to some serious issues.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    This is a prime example of an opinion being passed off as fact. If people would simply use phrases such as "In my opinion, I believe ---------" we all can have meaningful dialog and have a good chance to identify possible solutions to some serious issues.

It's just a continuation of his continued pattern of trying to pass off outright lies as fact.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/tr...rprising-ways/

The Tahoe national forest has an ongoing study to allow class 1 eBike access but I haven't been able to get specific details from the person running the study.

To answer the OP's question, California and specifically the Bay Area seems to be a bit more enlightened about EMTB access. Ironically, the best place to ride EMTB right now near a city may be the SF South Bay area. All of the Santa Clara county parks allow them on trails that bikes are allowed. And then there are the local state parks like Henry Coe and Wilder where they are allowed. It adds up to hundreds of miles of trail.

There are lots of homes that are near these places, but honestly NOBODY moves from Montana to the SF Bay Area. You won't find a decent home under $1M.

In Tahoe EMTB are allowed in the Lake Tahoe Nevada state park, but that's only about 50 miles of trail. I will say that there is zero interest in enforcing the rule in the rest of the Tahoe national forest. I see them all the time when I'm out hiking and actually seeing a ranger away from the major parking area trouble spots like Emerald Bay is like spotting a unicorn.

And then there is of course Downieville where EMTB access is allowed and promoted pretty heavily by the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by notb View Post
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/tr...rprising-ways/

The Tahoe national forest has an ongoing study to allow class 1 eBike access but I haven't been able to get specific details from the person running the study.

That's far from figs wild ass claims.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    It seems there are many people that believe they can do whatever they want as long as there are not enough resources available to enforce any existing regulations.

I will not argue that you will get away with your behavior. Until the land manager is forced to deal with the situation. Does not matter if we are discussing mountain bikers or electric motorized bikers.

If you forgo the efforts to build a solid relationship with land managers based upon trust, respect and integrity, do not be surprised if the land managers chose not to want to work with you once said land managers are faced with litigation due to your disrespectful actions. Furthermore, do not be surprised is others distance themselves from you in order to protect their privilege of trail access in other areas.

Finally, the title of this thread says a lot about the attitude of a sizable group of trail users.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/mammo...mountain-bikes

I particularly enjoy Janelle's assertion that people associating low power eBikes with motorcycles is an ignorant stance, when that was/is the stance of many Forest Service districts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    It seems there are many people that believe they can do whatever they want as long as there are not enough resources available to enforce any existing regulations.

I will not argue that you will get away with your behavior. Until the land manager is forced to deal with the situation. Does not matter if we are discussing mountain bikers or electric motorized bikers.

If you forgo the efforts to build a solid relationship with land managers based upon trust, respect and integrity, do not be surprised if the land managers chose not to want to work with you once said land managers are faced with litigation due to your disrespectful actions. Furthermore, do not be surprised is others distance themselves from you in order to protect their privilege of trail access in other areas.

Finally, the title of this thread says a lot about the attitude of a sizable group of trail users.
    Non assist bikes lose trail access and eBikes gain it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    It's just a continuation of his continued pattern of trying to pass off outright lies as fact.
    His?

poser Administrator
    Non assist bikes lose trail access and eBikes gain it.
    how does this work exactly? Are you saying that bikes will lose access because...reasons?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/mammo...mountain-bikes

I particularly enjoy Janelle's assertion that people associating low power eBikes with motorcycles is an ignorant stance, when that was/is the stance of many Forest Service districts.

For the eleventyeth time, that is a lease.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    That's far from figs wild ass claims.
    well I guess not anymore

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/t...d=fseprd641773

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthabagah View Post
    This is a great opportunity for electric motorized bikers to organize and capitalize on this privilege to try and open up other opportunities elsewhere.

mtbr member
    This is a great opportunity for electric motorized bikers to organize and capitalize on this privilege to try and open up other opportunities elsewhere.
    as you can see, already working on this...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by event horizon View Post
    That doesn't support those aforementioned wild ass claims.

Those trails have been moto trails since their inception.

Try again?
    Why don't YOU try again?

"In addition to forest roads, OHV trails and motorcycle trails are open to e-bikes, and in 2019, the Tahoe NF will be extending opportunities for Class 1 E-MTB riders to use recommended non-motorized trails across the forest"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by event horizon View Post
    How does that support the wild ass claim "They are in the process of allowing hem everywhere"?

Please spend some time thinking about the meaning of "everywhere" before responding.
    only of you check the meaning of "they are in the process". That's ok if you are in denial.... Just keep an eye out for the next USFS announcements and we will see you on the trail.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthabagah View Post
    only of you check the meaning of "they are in the process". That's ok if you are in denial.... Just keep an eye out for the next USFS announcements and we will see you on the trail.
    Please back up the claims that "they are in the process EVERYWHERE" since that is the assertion that one study is going to influence every single trail in this country.....

Yes they are in the process, but not for "Everywhere".

Words matter. Some people purposely are misleading others by adding words that are not true or leaving out important ones that are.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Please back up the claims that "they are in the process EVERYWHERE" since that is the assertion that one study is going to influence every single trail in this country.....

Yes they are in the process, but not for "Everywhere".

Words matter. Some people purposely are misleading others by adding words that are not true or leaving out important ones that are.
    I am not sure you read the actual link, but this is no longer a study but a change in policy.

but anyway, that was not my statement, so nothing to "backup".

In addition, just like in any advocacy work, I will let the LM (fed, state, local) choose how/when they will communicate the change in policies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just a little update on riding my ebike in the forest. I climbed just shy of 4,000 in about 6 miles of climb on an OHV trail. I encountered many dirt bikes and as I neared the top several of couldn't believe a bicycle was all the way up to the top. I don't think thats anything they had seen before. This is a trail I helped build 22 years ago back when I moto'd more. Now I mainly do bicycles. None of them even could tell it was "motorized". Going back down was totally epic as I hadn't yet done a downhill type of run. It was rough and full of dirt waterbars that I treates as jumps. I was riding over my head to say the least but the bike was so surefooted it just felt natural to be going 25 mph through nasty trail sections. I could see injuries being much worse as a result of being able to blast downhill sections so easily. The Fox suspension is so plush it just craves rough terrain.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    Just a little update on riding my ebike in the forest. I climbed just shy of 4,000 in about 6 miles of climb on an OHV trail. I encountered many dirt bikes and as I neared the top several of couldn't believe a bicycle was all the way up to the top. I don't think thats anything they had seen before.
    Electric motorized bikes are able to traverse terrain that a bicycle cannot. This is one benefit. I have OHV trails that are a blast to ride down but I have to hike-a-bike due to the grade. If I had a motor attached to my bike I could experience more trails.