Weed/Seed Removal Stations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Weed/Seed Removal Stations

We have a new trail system and the land has a history of noxious weeds (Geyer Larkspur and Cheatgrass, among others). A friend suggested we do some decontamination stations at the trailheads similar to what Colorado is doing. He also mentioned that after riding in Boise he had Cheatgrass stuck in his pedals and derailleur. Has anyone ever seen a weed removal station specific to bikes or is our best bet to just educate users and ask them to clean off their bikes by hand?
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

since 4/10/2009
    Never seen any sort of stations like this for bikes, but plenty of the boot scrubbers scattered across the country.

Probably better served with an education campaign similar to what's done with boats.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/85939.html
    https://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/stu...302_700141045/
    https://www.theoutdoorwire.com/relea...9-8a2492b0eca1
    Home - Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers

Shartacular Spectacular
    So long as the invasives in question aren’t of the fire/heat activated variety, I’m a proponent of a solid heat treatment arch to ensure none of that herbaceous demonseed escapes. My patented system will allow you to kill two birds with one stone by using it as it as a gatekeeper feature on your expert trails in your other trail systems to protect the n00bs from themselves and the trails from the noxious weeds and the n00bs lol

Weed/Seed Removal Stations-7cdb8323-225c-4456-95ad-ad3af019d19b.jpeg

Please contact me for purchasing details.
    18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CDB8323-225C-4456-95AD-AD3AF019D19B.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1251246

Please contact me for purchasing details.
    How do you avoid melting tires with your apparatus?

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    How do you avoid melting tires with your apparatus?
    Hey hey hey, let’s not get caught up in the silly little details. An eyebrow here, a minion there, what you should be asking yourself is how we avoid losing our trail systems to the noxious plants, because right now you are sounding prettttty selfish. I care about our trails and our ecosystem Harold, do you?

That’s what I thought. Now step over here I have some waivers I’ll need you to sign before we finalize your order.

... the answer is speed....

and your signature on those waivers absolving me of any liability should anything unfortunate occur while using my flaming arch of environmental righteousness...
    18’ SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    I'm pretty familiar with AIS. Here in Wyoming we still have a few waterways clear of zebra mussels thanks to the hard work of Game and Fish. It might be that we put up a couple of boot stations and add info about bikes.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” -Ernest Hemingway

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo! View Post
    I'm pretty familiar with AIS. Here in Wyoming we still have a few waterways clear of zebra mussels thanks to the hard work of Game and Fish. It might be that we put up a couple of boot stations and add info about bikes.
    I get the feeling if you put something up for bikes, you'd get folks using it for general cleaning of their bikes. I have encountered places that have bike cleaning stations at the trailhead (some with hoses, even). They're not intended for removing invasive species in particular.

But maybe if you attached some stiff-bristled brushes to the boot station with long cables, you could make some headway.

mtbr member
    I get the feeling if you put something up for bikes, you'd get folks using it for general cleaning of their bikes. I have encountered places that have bike cleaning stations at the trailhead (some with hoses, even). They're not intended for removing invasive species in particular.

But maybe if you attached some stiff-bristled brushes to the boot station with long cables, you could make some headway.
    We definitely won't have access to water but brushes could work.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Hey hey hey, let’s not get caught up in the silly little details. An eyebrow here, a minion there, what you should be asking yourself is how we avoid losing our trail systems to the noxious plants, because right now you are sounding prettttty selfish. I care about our trails and our ecosystem Harold, do you?

That’s what I thought. Now step over here I have some waivers I’ll need you to sign before we finalize your order.

... the answer is speed....

and your signature on those waivers absolving me of any liability should anything unfortunate occur while using my flaming arch of environmental righteousness...
    Oh, trust me, I care. You're going to have to wade through a sea of patents for your apparatus, however.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...+in+fire&btnG=

Plus, effectiveness of any fire-based noxious weed destruction system is going to be reliant on two major factors. Temperature and contact time. If a rider uses speed to make it through to avoid death, then there will be insufficient contact time to destroy noxious weeds.

It might be preferable to use a UV-C booth to destroy noxious plant material.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Oh, trust me, I care. You're going to have to wade through a sea of patents for your apparatus, however.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...+in+fire&btnG=

Plus, effectiveness of any fire-based noxious weed destruction system is going to be reliant on two major factors. Temperature and contact time. If a rider uses speed to make it through to avoid death, then there will be insufficient contact time to destroy noxious weeds.

It might be preferable to use a UV-C booth to destroy noxious plant material.
    Harold, baby, you’re starting to sound like my legal team before they insisted we emblazon the packaging with silly nonsensical phrases like “For novelty use only!” And “May cause imminent death when used properly.” Let’s not get lost in the trees, we need to look at the forest here. This is the health of our environment we are talking about! Besides what’s a little patent infringement amongst friends, eh?

Speaking of friends, I would never subject even my worst enemies to that UV-C business—I say if the atmosphere is trying to keep it out, let’s not let it in! Amirightguys?? Not to mention the risks those death rays pose to prospective clients’ eyesight, yikes! Nobody wants that! Now, I assure you in the most genuine non-legally-binding language that add-ons like our Rider-A-Pault (sold separately) can be implemented if you’re worried about optimizing organic material sanitization— for novelty purposes only of course— while reducing the risk of any pesky 3rd degree burns while your local riding community gets acclimated.

Now, let’s talk numbers, what funds do you, your friends, and relatives have available? We are always happy to help with remortgaging.
    18’ SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    Some Wisconsin state parks have bike wash stations specifically to stop the spread of invasives. If no access to water it's a non starter though. So many surfaces on a bike where seeds can collect I wouldn't expect anything other than a wash station to be effective.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    We definitely won't have access to water but brushes could work.
    Without water brushes will be pretty rough on stuff.

No way to do shallow wells with solar pumps and a cistern? Redirect some creek water? Nothing?

mtbr member
    We have a new trail system and the land has a history of noxious weeds (Geyer Larkspur and Cheatgrass, among others). A friend suggested we do some decontamination stations at the trailheads similar to what Colorado is doing. He also mentioned that after riding in Boise he had Cheatgrass stuck in his pedals and derailleur. Has anyone ever seen a weed removal station specific to bikes or is our best bet to just educate users and ask them to clean off their bikes by hand?
    Some of the trailheads in the California Bay Area have mountain bike tire decontamination stations, which look like 6 foot long boot brushes. I try to roll my bike through it, if I am not returning to the same trail next.