Trailers- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trailers

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008

Trailers

What do you folks use to haul your trail building tools and/or machines?

The club I'm with is getting ready to purchase a walk behind skidsteer and I'm still going back and forth on trailers. Currently, most of our volunteers have trucks with caps on the back and we keep our tools locked in our trucks or my garage. When I've rented machines in the past they'll usually throw in a back and forth use of one of their rental trailers.

I want a trailer that comfortably handles the machine, and maybe has room for a second skidsteer or mini-x. I like the tilt back ones over the fold down gates. I also prefer a double axle trailer. Then again, too much trailer limits us to who's vehicle can pull it.

We're also debating the open trailer versus the enclosed trailer. I like the open trailers for a lot of reasons, but the enclosed trailer would give us high visibility space for donor logos and would provide a lockable storage place for hand tools, first aid kit, etc.

For those of you who haul equipment or have been in a similar "eminent trailer purchase" situation, what trailer did you end up with and why?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    If you were to transport the machine alone, a flatbed trailer would be ideal and much cheaper. Because of all the stuff you plan to bring around, you NEED a closed trailer.

What's the weight on your skidsteer? A Ditch Witch SK650 is 2600lbs then add a 150lbs for a 6way. Expect maybe 100-200lbs for the stuff you need to run/maintain the machine (fuel, oil, tools, etc). Add another 50lbs for chains and tie-down to secure the machine during transport.

What's the weight of the tools you'll carry around? Let's say 300lbs for a bunch of McLeod, Pulaski, hoe, shovel, rake, rock bar, bucket, etc. These take a lot of room but are not that heavy. Add a chainsaw and safety equipment (50lbs). Add the first aid kit (10-15lbs).

Are you going to carry a Easy-Up tent, folding table, chairs and marketing materiel for the club? If so, you need to plan for room for all that stuff.

With all that stuff, you will need a lot of floor space. Likely a 7x12 trailer depending of your setup.

We are still safely under 5000lbs which is the towing capacity of most smaller size pickup (F150 and like).

You can safely stay on a single-axel trailer with all that stuff, but I would try to get a tandem anyway to be safer.

I would still highly recommend trailer brakes because of the weight.

V-Nose trailer are usually more expensive but save a lot of fuel. If you don't plan to travel a lot with it, it doesn't matter as much. Save a few grands and stay with a regular square nose.

If you plan to bring 2 machines at the same time (2 skidsteer or skidsteer+miniX), then you will need a flatbed trailer designed for that. As example, you'll need a trailer that can support (3000lbs for the skidsteer and 4000lbs for a mini-x) at least 7000lbs. Always add the weight of the trailer when checking the load capacity of the trailer. In this case, the trailer is likely to weight 2000lbs, so you'll need a tandem with 5000lbs/axel capacity, or more and a 3/4ton truck to haul it (Ford F250 or GM/Chevy 2500HD).

I use 2x7000lbs tandem trailers for equipment transport and the tools goes in the back of the truck or in another closed trailer.
    I build trails for moose & beaver
    PTBA member

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by HypNoTic

What's the weight on your skidsteer? A Ditch Witch SK650 is 2600lbs then add a 150lbs for a 6way. Expect maybe 100-200lbs for the stuff you need to run/maintain the machine (fuel, oil, tools, etc). Add another 50lbs for chains and tie-down to secure the machine during transport.

We are still safely under 5000lbs which is the towing capacity of most smaller size pickup (F150 and like).

You can safely stay on a single-axel trailer with all that stuff, but I would try to get a tandem anyway to be safer.

I would still highly recommend trailer brakes because of the weight.

I own a 6x12 single axle enclosed cargo trailer. It is used for hand tools, pop up tent, etc. I know the capacity is NOT adequate for the 650 we frequently rent. Off the top of my head, it's good for about 1,900 pounds. 650 and 6-way is right at 3,000 pounds. I've also seen the 650 on a single axle mower trailer (6x10??), and it was in no way adequate for the load.

I looked into buying a 2 axle 7x12 or 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer back when we were looking to buy a sk 650, mainly to have a good place to store it. However, the number of vehicles within or club to pull a 2 axle trailer is very limited. The 2 axle basically required a "commercial" duty rating (about a $200 upcharge) because of the weight on the ramp/rear door.

Brakes are very important if you're towing the sk650 with a 1/2 ton truck in any kind of traffic or hills. Typically brakes only come on 2 axle trailers, not single axles. If you have brakes, you may need annual state inspections. I don't need to get the single axle cargo trailer inspected.

I've seen a Toyota T100 or 2006 Tundra tow two Sk 650's. The issue was payload capacity on the truck. The load is tongue heavy and not centered (or nearly centered) over the trailer axles. The truck was absolutely "slammed" but seems like it survived the episode okay. You wouldn't want to do it regularly.

My local rental companies do not provide trailers. You have your own trailer or they can $deliver$ your machine.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

Members who have read this thread: 1