Trailbuilding Puerto Rico- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

New question here. Trailbuilding Puerto Rico

Anyone with experience in Puerto Rico.

I've been to half a dozen trails and tracks that are just abandoned and un-usable.

I imagine that there are many other trails and tracks that can be developed.

What does it take for IMBA to get involved in this?

The island is an hour wide by two hours long. This makes it a potential bike park paradise.

Yet, it is not. Even in vegetation and humidity is an issue, it's not like we live in stone age

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You need a local rider's club here, not necessarily IMBA. Especially in jungle/quickly growing areas, constant maintenance is required by a local group. ImBA's role here, at best would be to teach the locals appropriate building and maintenance techniques, and not necessarily do the heavy lifting themselves...unless you have the budget to hire a non-volunteer trail crew. I can't speak for IMBA, but that is my take on it. Good luck, and get a bunch of machetes!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Aug 2006
    I see IMBA as the institution to protect our investments
    I know they wont come here with cavalry and an army of bulldozers.
    But if a club does the work, which they kind a do in a park, who is there to protect it ehrn the big bad wolf claims it back
    Im an engineer and I can come up with a team of mountain goats and builders to make the trails, even set it up such as maintanace is reduced to trimming and not jungle opening.

But I do need IMBA cuz rival clubs and alienated solo riders need to join in on this. Im with'ya though... we do need a lot of machetes

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Arbuz, I am affiliated with quite a few professional trailbuilders, who can do this work, (and the appropriate teaching to the local groups) on the design and maintenance of the trail system in P.R. Are there local/government funds in order to green light such a project? If there are, I believe that some of us in the private trailbuilding sector could provide the precise services that you are looking for, all within the guidelines of IMBA trail standards. Please feel free to PM me if you are interested in knowing more about what is available out there in the private sector, including fundraising from local tourism/government entities in order to make this happen. There are lot's of possibilites available with the right information and organization.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    ... with the right information and organization.
    Cool Thanks.

Unlike roadies, mountain bikers are somewhat independent spirits. No need to ride in groups and no team stratagems. One needs the bike, the hairless (sometimes hairy) monkey and the trail. Even racing I see more indies than teams down here.

That pretty much paints the picture. It will take a bit of work and convincing, but hopefuly we will et to that point when I can show you guys around paradise

I'm really into this thing, and the island is run like a third world country, it was actually bankrupted a few months ago, so I know what to expect. They are stuck in the past and nearsighted about a lot of things. I mailed a couple of letters to the municipal authorities (legislative and excecutive). They have some land their that may work for a bike park, not a trail system, more like an urban XC short track and some BMX freeride kindda deal. Dunno, may work for something else eventually.

Its just people as usual. You know the deal... "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

Take a look, I'll go visit the site to get a feel of the land :
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Trails In Puerto Rico

Oh boy, you haven't been there long buddy!

I ride in the Island often and here are some links to get you started:

http://eteamz.active.com/boqueronbike/index.cfm
    http://www.ciclismopro.com/

You must ride the olimpic trail in the olimpic complex in Salinas. Also the Piratas de Boqueron club (link above) have mapped about 40 miles of trails in the south western section of the Island. You will not find too much dirt trails in the metro, but there is a dirt park called Monagas in Bayamon. There is also a SS club in Florida, the center of coffee country. I don't think they have a web page but mabe you can Google: Trail Razers.

Mountain biking is an olimpic sport in Puerto Rico and just like cycling in general, the Island is a hub for cycling in the Caribbean. It is a very well-supported sport with plenty of good racing events and lots of sponsors I am not sure what roll IMBA would play but Iam sure it will be welcome by the cycling community.

Also, if you are interested in trail advocacy anywhere in the world you must learn to be less condecending in your remarks

Sammy
    Last edited by borasam; 12-11-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Aug 2006
    Six years in the island borasam on and off, two years straight since 2004.
    Its not being condescending nor pretending to come from "Utopia" or "Atlantis".
    I just describe reality as I see it. I apologize for not being politically correct. But it is the truth, they bankrupted their island, and spend everyday fighting about nonsense. If they accomplished anything other than raising taxes, then I would give'm kudos. But reality is that the Mountain Biking comission of the olympic federation in the island despite all tries, is in diapers. So are the non existing biking programs for youth or college levels.

I did Salinas last week, right before the federation's planning meeting for the 2007 season. They changed the direction, which makes it very good for competition, or better said getting rid of competition, but it is really bad for recreation. Its much more fun to ride it the old way... fassssst

Most people need a bike park in the metro area, and Monagas is maintained by a green club (IMBA www.apemipr.org) but not by racers, industry or trail developing professionals. There is an exception in the island in the far southwest with the Piratas de Boqueron (an IMBA member led by a recreational rider turned dentist ). The weather is better and the terrain natural XC. I plan to visit it soon, heard a lot about it. It is a two hour drive though and ten bucks in tolls

It may be perception, but from my stand point, the place... lets say it politicaly correct for a change... has a lot, and I mean a lot, of opportunity to be professionally developed and well maintained

This is not meant to turn political dear sir. I do emphazise I am talking about state and municipal administrations and not the people of Puerto Rico. I do feel there is a lot to do. At the end... I am just an infrastructure engineer with a mountain bike and a shovel
    Last edited by Arbuz; 12-11-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Rollin' a fatty
    Is the land pictured between the Kennedy avenue and road 22? If it is that used to be a landfill and can't be used for now, they're burning the accumulated methane gas with torches.

I've had heard many rumors regarding what will be built there, from recreational bike trails to golf courses. I don't know if you have noticed that on the side close to Kennedy a driving range is been built, guess that a public golf course is what's coming.

In terms of IMBA, only two organizations are members. Los Piratas de Cabo Rojo aka Dr. Jim Rivera and APEMI. Jim only works on the Cabo Rojo trails, sometimes he does some work on near by trails but his main focus are the ones in Cabo Rojo.

APEMI only works in Monagas, they do maintenance the last Saturday of the month and are the only authorized group to work there. Contact them and join if you liked Monagas and would like to see improvements.

The rest of the trails are mostly used for racing and only maintained when the race date approaches, unfortunately they are almost abandoned the rest of the year.

You're not the only one to raise his concern about it, the problem is that no one seems to care.

This pic was taken last Sunday, there's quorum but as I said no one seems to care.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Anyone with experience in Puerto Rico

Last edited by borasam; 12-14-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Aug 2006

... and if we just ...

You're not the only one to raise his concern about it, the problem is that no one seems to care.
    Exacto DirtDevil. But its not that they don't care, its just that there is no permanent organization. I've heard the tales about people calling on APEMI to maintain X or Y trail elsewhere in the island. Also some people expect the federation or even government to take care or even build new trails.

The way I see it. We have to do it. And IMBA is a prooven way to get things accomplished. I called the IMBA representative for Puerto Rico, but I have not heard anything from him since

Some people ride some people build not all who ride build. Indeed, that is the new Santini golf range so the people of San Juan can go perfect their golf swing and the "chavito" on every buck pays for it. I play golf and I think it is sweet "The Golforium"

One can design a nice bike park around the range or in the other mountainous methane producing old vertedero. With so much methane as they say there is, one can ride day and night as it can be illuminated for free
    There is a Paseo Lineal that goes from Hato Rey to Santurce next to the canal. Just tie a bike bridge and you can ride the elevated train (API) from Monagas to the Santini bike park

I've already submitted the propossal to the local legislature and the secretary of sports and recreation in San Juan. I can almost see their faces... WTF?

Pardon my french

In fact I could'a submitted them in french and I would get the same expression

Check this one... they are going to spend 4 million bucks developing thet area for dunno what. I told the guy, please pretty please leave a trail and leave space for a short track with a couple of downhill drops into the creek. The place is nice. I rode it today. Small but it'll work. That is HQ for the PR BikeShow believe it or not. Bottom left is the finish line for the roadies. In the heart of the island

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arbuz; 12-13-2006 at 11:21 PM.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by borasam
    Dude, get a boat!
    That means...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Trailbuilding Puerto Rico

sorry, wrong forum.

I will be in the Island the next few days I would love to go riding with a pack of you, but I promised my wife to spend more time with her at the beach, so Iam not bringing my steed. I could go for a Medalla or 2 though...

Rollin' a fatty
    You were to get a hold of me, my buddy has an extra bike that could be loaned.

Members who have read this thread: 0