"trail work in progress" verbage- Mtbr.com
    HIKE!

"trail work in progress" verbage

Anyone got any tips of what to list on an informational sign to be posted at the access point to a new trail being constructed? Who, what, where, when, why, all that? Any specifics.

Our club is building a new trail (and getting 10 guys to show up in 15 degree weather) and really making progress. There is a small, consistent hiker/walker user group on the dirt access road nearby, and a little educational/informative sign would be a good idea.

Any thing wrong with blatantly asking for more help (labor, equipment and money) from other users on said sign?

What am I overlooking?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    BTTT, any ideas?

Tim, here is a rough idea I have.

Buzzards Roost Trail
    This trail is being built by the BHMBA (Black Hills moun.........) in conjunction with the USFS and IMBA.

It is a Beginner to Intermediate trail designed to be erosion free and sustainable.

It was built with VOLUNTEER labor from the BHMBA, Boy Scouts etc. etc..

If you are interested in learning more or volunteering see our website at.

Something along those lines............

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by surlytman
    BTTT, any ideas?

Tim, here is a rough idea I have.

Buzzards Roost Trail
    This trail is being built by the BHMBA (Black Hills moun.........) in conjunction with the USFS and IMBA.

It is a Beginner to Intermediate trail designed to be erosion free and sustainable.

It was built with VOLUNTEER labor from the BHMBA, Boy Scouts etc. etc..

If you are interested in learning more or volunteering see our website at.

Something along those lines............
    Sounds good to me...

i don't think there's any problem with asking for help by anyone. In fact you could likely share the reasons why you like mt. biking to someone who's curious. And if there is someone helping from another user-group you can learn more about them, and maybe get tied into a larger network of trail builders, contacts, etc...
    i personally find that "expecting" help makes for problems...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow

What am I overlooking?
    No help w/ the sign but here are some general tips we've learned the hard way...

1) build from the middle to the ends. This prevents leading folks into an unfinished project, causing them to blaze their own way out.

2) If it's public property, do not pre-cut the saplings out of the corridor and leave the knee height stumps for more than a day. Some concerned citizen who knows zip about trail construction may come along, count the "murdered" saplings and complain to the land manager. Remove all evidence of sacrificed plants as quickly as possible.

HIKE!
    One nice thing is we are working in a heavily logged area. The "ugliness" of the trail work is not a blip compared to the "ugly" of the logging.

We will have folks wander the trail from time to time, that is why a decent sign at the most obvious access point makes sense. Blazing out is not too big a worry, the recent logging activity makes for no pleasant way out, but for the trail we've benched. A few errant users pushing forward won't make a visible line that our machine bench won't over-power.

Thinking along the lines of:

BHMBA in partnership with, USFS and SD GF&Parks trail building in progress.
    This project will build approx 6 miles of sustainable non-motorized trail in the Buzzard's Roost area to IMBA standards.

This project is on going. Look but don't touch tools, equipment, markings and signage. Feel free to use the trail as it unfolds WITH GREAT CAUTION; keep an eye out for workers and equipment in use. For more information on how to get involved, to donate labor, equipment, tools, signage, or money, contact XYZ

Then list the club, USFS, IMBA and GF&P websites

I hope the sign can be cautionary, but also used as a way to recruit help and resources.

Tracking up the place
    Buzzards Roost Trail Project

BHMBA in partnership with, USFS and SD GF&Parks trail building in progress.

This project will build approx 6 miles of sustainable non-motorized trail in the Buzzard's Roost area to IMBA standards.

This project is on going. Look but don't touch tools, equipment, markings and signage. Feel free to use the trail as it unfolds WITH GREAT CAUTION; keep an eye out for workers and equipment in use. Proceed at your own risk.

For more information on how to get involved, to donate labor, equipment, tools, signage, or money, contact XYZ.

Tim, I think your on it..
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    One local trail has a sign stating that regular scheduled maintenance days are the 4th sunday of each month although TM is usually done each weekend and as you get into the group you'll know when and where anyway.

They are lettered on regular street signs mounted on the regular steel traffic type sign post like "no parking signs". They're at the trail head anf at several picinic bench rest stops throughout the trails.

You can make a banner up to place on a fence in the parking lot permanently or on TM days or at the trail head or the entrance to the trail you're working on.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    You can also post a sign to check your local club's website forum to check that as well. Club shirts on TM days also spark interest as well. Someone always asks about them and it's a natural lead into " check the forum for TM days or clubrides or whatever!
    We have a specific thread for each park or trail and you go from there.

This is also a great way for an average rider to report a tree down or a maintenance problem with this or that so that someone who is usually responsable for or better yet is responsable enough to go take care of a problem during the week so the trails are clear tfor the weekend warriors!

We also sometimes Corral people on the trail on TM days and with buckets of rocks or stuff like that and ask them to chip in 10 minutes to fix a need and give them a bottle of cold water and have fun with them while we take care of business! Shame is a very effective tool!

Don't forget to post pictures of work days too!

Check out clubmud.com ......register to view please!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Tim, let me know when you finalize it. Like i said, this sign is covered GRATIS from A+ Signs here in Rapid.

Members who have read this thread: 0