Trail Saw, which one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Trail Saw, which one?

Newbie trail worker, going to be volunteering in a wilderness area where there is no chainsaws allowed. Great trail but hasn't been cleared in years with several hundred downfall. My own little project.

I don't care about the weight of the saw, only 2-3 miles in. I need a saw that will cut! Most trees are small, 4-8" average diameter.

Can anyone recommend a good 1 person saw?
    2 person saw?
    Will I need to sharpen said saw in the field? I know how to sharpen chainsaw but have never sharpened an old fashioned hand saw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've used these in the past to cut up branches / logs around that size:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/21-inc...saw-66545.html

Combine with coupons for an even better deal:
    https://www.hfqpdb.com/

Only downside is that they don't sell replacement blades, but at $5 after coupon for the saw + 2 blades, it's cheaper to just buy another than it is to buy replacement blades at Home Depot / Lowes.

Sharpening can be done with just a file, but if you carry an extra blade with you I wouldn't think that you'll dull it enough in one day that you'd need to worry about doing it in the field:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscIKCy5eCc

Some people seem to really like these type of pocket manual chainsaws, but I haven't tried one myself to be able to compare:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ9CW4H/

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Isn't the group you are volunteering for providing tools?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had one of these saws for 10 years and it's amazing. Safe to carry in it's own plastic sheath, and stronger than folding saws. I've cut 12 inch deadfall with it. So sharp that it's easy to cut and it cuts in both directions - 4-8 inch trees are no issue at all. You can't sharpen it (I don't think) but I've never needed to. Take good care of it, keep it 100% out of the dirt, and it will last and last. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I fashioned a shoulder strap for it and then just shove the handle into my middle jersey pocket and I don't even need to carry a pack if I don't want to. I forget I'm even carrying it.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ha...ing-saws/ps90/

IPA tester
    I use a folding Corona brand saw that can be found at major HW stores or better yet, order a silky saw Silky Saws

Both are good saws
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    What trail and which Wilderness area?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

EAT MORE GRIME
    silky big boy 2000 will do those 4 inch in seconds and 8 inchers in a minute and if you don't get dirt on the blade all you need is wipe it with oil once in a while. bring small bottle oil with you if making a lot of cuts. it is not technically needed but speeds up the cutting by a good margin
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    silky big boy 2000 will do those 4 inch in seconds and 8 inchers in a minute and if you don't get dirt on the blade all you need is wipe it with oil once in a while. bring small bottle oil with you if making a lot of cuts. it is not technically needed but speeds up the cutting by a good margin
    I've owned a BB2000 for 7 or 8 years now and I would be lost without it. I use it all the time and it's great for most local jobs. It weighs less than a pound so I keep it in my hydration pack all the time. No problem going through 8" diameter fir and spruce trees. There's a bit of sweat equity involved but it's not much slower than my MS211. Those teeth will rip through small trees and branches like butter for a very long time if you follow the advice posted by 127.0.0.1 here. Replacement blades are like $25 or $30.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    I've had one of these saws for 10 years and it's amazing. Safe to carry in it's own plastic sheath, and stronger than folding saws. I've cut 12 inch deadfall with it. So sharp that it's easy to cut and it cuts in both directions - 4-8 inch trees are no issue at all. You can't sharpen it (I don't think) but I've never needed to. Take good care of it, keep it 100% out of the dirt, and it will last and last. One of the best purchases I've ever made. I fashioned a shoulder strap for it and then just shove the handle into my middle jersey pocket and I don't even need to carry a pack if I don't want to. I forget I'm even carrying it.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ha...ing-saws/ps90/
    I have that Stihl saw as well as one of the longer Silky saws, a Big Boy I think.

They work great, but for trees requiring that much saw I just take my chainsaw for a walk. If a chainsaw is not an option those are great. Turns out I barely used them.

For smaller work I've went with the folding Corona saws.

I'm looking to sell both for a very fair price, like half of new price. Anyone can pm me for pics/price if interested. Maybe I'll post them in the classifieds on Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    7-in Silky F180. Fits in my backpack. Haven't tried to stuff it into a hip pack yet. The trick with all Silky is that you have to remember to apply load only on the pull, otherwise they jam and also the blade is easy to buckle. Once you get the hang of it then it's just a matter of how much you can grunt away at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Silky or Silky. Gomboy, 11" ,or big boy 12". 7 teeth per inch. Lots of money? Look at the Katana , friggin giant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    National Park, social trail. I've been asked not to talk about it LOL, and it isn't against any rules.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can you use a stealth, err, I mean electric chainsaw?

Moderator Moderator
    I refer to our silky katana boys as inflatable chainsaws. I've timed them cutting a 14" tree in 4 minutes. Big boys are good too if you need something to fit in a camelback. Expensive, but worth it. You can sharpen them if you use a dremel or appropriate file, but they last a long time if you keep them out of the dirt. Buy a plastic wedge too, for big cuts.

K&K
    I just bought a Silky that I don't need because of this thread LOL.

saddlemeat
    FS doesn't require certification to run a folding saw... even a Silky Katana Boy 650mm. Word...
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks everyone! I'm all set. I'm either going to buy a used one off of one of the posters here, or now I know exactly what to buy! Learned a lot, and watched a view youtube videos to learn some more.