Trail Extension in Coastal SC Need Some Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail Extension in Coastal SC Need Some Advice

I have been given the go ahead to construct a 5 mile extension to the existing 13 mile loop I built in 2001.
    The Trail is located on Federal Property(US NAVY) Near Charleston SC, I am the Natural Resources Tech and Trail Manager.
    I have no budget, but some money can be spent from other sources.
    We have plenty of hand tools, and a DR Mower that were used to construct the original trail.
    I would like to look into using a mini skid (DW or Vermeer) for this project. Can anyone give me there thoughts on how to go about getting one. What are the cost? What about lease or rental cost. Are there ways to "borrow" a machine?
    I have tried for grants and usually get turned down because we are Federal, or we do not meet the criteria for the grant. There is not enough interest for a SORBA chapter, and they will not lend equipment to a "At Large Member" which I am. We do not meet the criteria for IMBA grants.
    So If anyone has any thoughts I would welcome them.
    We have about 20 hardcore volunteers, but with hand tools alone it will take a couple of years to punch a trail through working one or two weekends a month.
    Check out our website www.lowcountryfattirefreaks.com.

Thanks for your help
    Don Watts
    Natural Resources Technician
    Naval Weapons Station Charleston

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Go here for a DW dealer locater.

Mini skid steer rental costs vary from state to state and even within some states. We occasionally rent a Dingo from Sunbelt/NationsRent (?) for about $300 a week. You can get them by the hour, day. week, or month. A Bobcat or DW might cost a little more or be more difficult to locate.

Good luck!

D

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by donwatts
    Can anyone give me there thoughts on how to go about getting one. What are the cost? What about lease or rental cost. Are there ways to "borrow" a machine?
    Are any of your local riders in the construction or landscape business? If so, they may have access to a similar machine. Most rental places do 8 hours at the minimum. This puts you in the position of long days, and over worked volunteers...or wasting money. If you can find a sympathetic machine owner (one with a mt bike helps), make an offer of $25-$30 per hour to rent his machine.

The 6-way blade is an uncommon attachment, harder to find than a machine. For $2,600 you've got your own new blade. Clubs often buy the blade and rent the machine. I've also seen used and reconditioned machines in the $10k range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Do a fund raiser movie night at a local bar. Have the local bike shops donate stuff for a raffle. Give yourself enough time to promote it with flyers etc.

Tell the bike shops "More trails equals more sales"

We just raised $2,500 in one night with a raffle.

We also did a movie night at a local bike shop and raised $800 in one night without a raffle.

Check out your local tool rental place that caters to contractors...they usually will deliver to your jobsite. You may have to pay extra for insurance. Make sure you have a secure place to store the machine at night.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

Members who have read this thread: 0