Trail building help?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2007

Trail building help?

I'm trying to build a trail in the woods next to my house. Does anyone know how to or know where I can get info on how to build sturdy ladder bridges and other good stunts out of the trees in the woods without having to buy expensive lumber from the store?

Don't worry, be happy!
    the basic guideline is "deck-like" constuction. As for not buying lumber, I guess you can ask for donations, or scrouge around for cedar. You'll want to do some homework on what kind of wood is best for outdoors use in your region. You need something that is rot resistant. You do have permission to build, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/structures/structuresgood.htm

Here's the how to build them right part.

Not so sure about the materials for free part.

Locust is one of the better rot-resistant trees to use. We don't have any here and use cedar instead.

Jun 2007
    I didn't necessarily mean "free" lumber but instead use the trees that are already on my property in the woods where i am building. when I see pics of the stuff in the north shore it looks like they just split wood that was on the ground(sometimes you can even see bark on the ends or bottom). I just don't understand how they split it so evenly and uniform to get all those planks. I"ve never been able to split wood that cleanly. Thanks for the good tips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use trees and branches that have ALREADY fallen to the ground with ordinary wood nails

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttersxc
    I didn't necessarily mean "free" lumber but instead use the trees that are already on my property in the woods where i am building. when I see pics of the stuff in the north shore it looks like they just split wood that was on the ground(sometimes you can even see bark on the ends or bottom). I just don't understand how they split it so evenly and uniform to get all those planks. I"ve never been able to split wood that cleanly. Thanks for the good tips.

The NS stuff is built mainly out of cedar, which is incredibly rot resistant and splits very cleanly without a lot of effort. They are fortunate in that it is a native wood to that area.

Members who have read this thread: 0