Trail building help- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Trail building help

Hey i am thinking about constructing some cross country trails in morganton north carolina and if anyone wants to give me advice or help then message me. This is not a for sure thing im just looking around at options

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheadedduck
    Hey i am thinking about constructing some cross country trails in morganton north carolina and if anyone wants to give me advice or help then message me. This is not a for sure thing im just looking around at options
    I don't know your skill level so I'll start with the basics.

Hit the IMBA website and dig for info.
    Including finding a local or regional group, if one exists. (Also use the regional forums below for some potential contacts.)
    Purchase the IMBA Trailbuilding Solutions Book.
    If possible visit a IMBA trailbuilding school, or other experienced trailbuilders.

I'm assuming for this that the proper permissions have been aquired. Getting that is a different, and potentially harder challenge. Building the trail can be easy part.

There are some very different thoughts on trail design and it's a blend of personality, terrain, and how agressive the trail design should be.

There are some good trails in that neck of the woods, or so I've heard, that could give ya an idea to how to sculpt trails. It is all about the desired flow and the run of water.

If you want to get a feel for the flow of a trail... run the section. Walking it doesn't give quite the right flow, and it will make the turns feel too tight when on bike.

A good trail will shed water and not require a lot of maintenance. There are some great rules of thumb (found in the resources above), but I've found it still takes a few tweaks to avoid erosion or mud spots.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    read this stuff and buy the trailbuilder's handbook.

Nov 2005

thanks

Thanks dude im still looking for property to put it on, but when or if i find any i will take your materials into consideration

Members who have read this thread: 0