Trail Building Health and Safety Policy- Mtbr.com
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Trail Building Health and Safety Policy

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting together a Health and Safety Policy for Trail Building.
    Our club has made a submission for Government Grant and they have asked for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    My God what have we become when a group of volunteers needs an ES&H policy to apply for a grant.

Tell them you make people sign a liability waiver.
    You have age and clothing requirements.
    And you do a tool talk before trail work.

Unpredictable
    Tell them health and safety is why you are doing trailwork.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I manage to find this course available in our Province offered through the Ontario Trails Council.

I guess when asking for Government money they like make you jump through a lot of hoops.
    Our Club is a Corporation (Non-Profit) but we would still be required by law to meet all the requirements of our Provincial Health and Safety Act.

Health and Safety

Working safely while building, routing or maintaining trails is one of the most important skill sets one should be aware of when involved in trail development. The Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act govern all aspects of workplace safety for volunteers and professionals. This course will provide participants with an overview of the requirements under this legislation as well general knowledge of working safely on trails.

Course Objective:
    The objective of this module is to impart participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to create a safe work environment and safely use a variety of tools commonly used in trail construction and maintenance.

Course Outline:
    1. Acquire training in essential health and safety skills to ensure safe practises in trail construction. Such topics as the following should be included: how to assess site conditions and establish a safe work area, proper use of hand and power tools, evaluate and monitor weather conditions, maintain safe working distances, use of protective clothing and gear, proper maintenance of tolls and equipment, individual and organizational obligations under the Ontario Health and Safety Act and Regulations.

2. Any special requirements that may be applicable under the Accessibility for All Ontarians Act.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting together a Health and Safety Policy for Trail Building.
    Our club has made a submission for Government Grant and they have asked for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    not for trail building, but for work in my own biz and a larger iso company. it's not that much different, principals are the same.

suggest you read this

Your health and safety rights and responsibilities

main thing is to identify trail work hazards and to provide actions/processes to keep people safe from these hazards in a organized and documented manner.
    now depending where you are located the conservation authority already has this for itself. i would ask their hr nicely for a copy. it will save you a lot of work.

some examples:

-proper chainsaw certification
    -training and certification issued for every tool
    -tools controled by trail steward
    -proper first aid traing and kit with tracking of items in kit.
    -personal safety devices
    -hazardous plant identification training
    -emergengency evacuation procedures
    -a safety committee
    -keeping proper records
    -communications on site
    -tree hazard identification
    -etc

i've talked about this in eastern canada before if you want to use the search function, and i can see this becoming a mandatory requirement on all public lands in ontario as it follows standard policey and procedures.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 05-09-2012 at 05:04 AM.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    My God what have we become when a group of volunteers needs an ES&H policy to apply for a grant.
    It all boils down to joint and several liability. A group of volunteers is not likely to have the money to pay a huge lawsuit. If the claimants can find that the government was even 1% liable (for instance, by not taking steps to ensure that people receiving grants were following safety procedures), they can collect 100% of the settlement from them.

Not cool but that is how things work these days. In the words of the captain... "I don't like it any more than you men"

Members who have read this thread: 0