Trail building alone... (cont.)- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

Trail building alone... (cont.)

Ok so I'm the dude who is going forward with building the bike trail in between a state prison, a shooting range, a railroad and a river. After 3 days of working about 3-4 hours each time I have slowly started to make my way. I'm not good with judging distance but I've got a decent path/trail in the works. On day one I went out and walked all through the area envisioning a trail. I grabbed a 100 pack of orange flags and marked off about a mile of possible trail. Consider that the area is completely rough. No starter trail, nothing to work from. Day two I took a handsaw, a shovel, a metal rake and one of those swing things that cuts weeds and such. I dont have a Mcleod or good hoe or anything. So day two was all about cutting down the rough stuff. small trees in the way, thorn bushes, etc. Day three was all about raking up the stuff I cut and chopped as well as raking leaves from the trail. I also did some digging and moved some dirt to fill in some trouble spots. The first part of the trial is really zigzaggy and requires a lot of maneuvreing (sp?). I am a little worried about the creek and the river. They come to a point at the far end of this area and my flags lead all the way out to that point. I'm afraid that a lot of rain or melting snow would wipe out that part of the trail. I plan to add a few minor jumps (because I like small jumps) and I will be adding drops and plenty of log crossings. I'll wait to see the level of water this place takes before I start building things like bridges and such. After 3 days alone and sneaking... I'm exhausted. is it worth it? Can I ever finish? Maybe I need some moral support from fellow builders. This is my first trail and Im doing it all alone with everyday household tools. I'm thinking about buying a Rogue hoe online. Today was really difficult. I was tired, it had rained all last night. There was a lot of mud to deal with. Snow had just melted 2 days ago. A lot of work and not able to ride yet due to the dampness. It can be a lot of fun and I'm enjoying the work to an extent. There are just times when I start to feel like the task is too large or ... I dont know. It's just tough to get motivated when I cant ride yet and the weather totally sucks.

I'm adding pictures. I took these today. Nothing great yet. Like I said I just have all the rough brush out of the way and the path is trimmed and raked. But this is what I've got so far.

Please... I so badly need some encouragement. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by giant24niner; 12-09-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: To add photos

Oct 2007
    More pics

Oct 2007
    more pics

mtbr member
    I'm guessing this is not on the up and up... it's hard to give encouragement then. It also looks like you don't have a lot of drainage, so you may end up with a trail that stays wet.

In any event, be careful, I see some poison ivy in the last pic in your first post, urshol is still in the vines even when the leaves are gone.

mtbr member
    Do NOT get discouraged.........the start looks promising. Ride what you build as you go and learn from what you build. Change what you don't like and keep building what you do like. You will get the hang of the radius of the turns and whether you want tight and twisty or fastand flowy. Maybe some of the others will have some wisdom as far as the river rising and all that. Spring thaw in South Florida was never much of an issue but I might lend you quite a bit of advise on Hurricane damage as I'm in the middle of rebuilding a park that had 7 miles of trails and we have 2 miles done with another 2+ laid out and I've been putting in 10 hour weekends pretty much by myself as it's racing season and the holidays are here too. I am NOT *****ing at all because I love to build trails almost as much as I like to ride and I love riding trails I've built or helped build more than the both of the previous 2.

There will be days that don't seem worth it....this weekend was only good for about 35 feet of bench cut stuff that required 3 loads of big rocks to fill a sizable hole where as the previous weekend netted a hundred feet and the week before got me almost 300.

Progress!!!
    Last edited by mtb777; 12-11-2007 at 08:09 AM.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    I build by myself also. The thing I find that keeps me going is when I invite some friends up to ride my trails! Seeing them enjoy parts and hating parts makes me see what to build and what not to. Invite some friends out to ride your section, even if it is not much, and it will encourage you to make it bigger and better. Just becareful with drainage as Joules said, you don't want that to ruin your system!

Build on!

bi-winning
    hey, it looks like a fun trail to me.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Members who have read this thread: 0