Trail Blowing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail Blowing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Trail Blowing

We have recently opened up 17 miles of new trail. I am looking for a way to blow the leaves in the spring other than with a backpack blower. I have seen the walk behinds, but havent seen any mounted to an ATV. Anyone have any ideas?

I DIY would be great if someone has some ideas.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    A backpack blower mounted in a bob trailer blowing 90 deg totrail is what I'm going to try. Or a large centrifugal PTO blower behind a tractor but alot of my trails are too narrow for my small tractor to fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Are you trying to blow the leaves for riders who don't like leaves or to help the trails dry out?

If you are doing it to help the trail dry out, I would suggest using a back pack blower. The drains are where clearing the leaves is the most important. And the drains tend to collect leaves and need more effort to blow clear.

Any sort of drive by leave blowing would likely remove the leaves where they are not causing a problem and not be able to remove them where they really need to be cleared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i've mounted a hand held to the back of my Pugs. used a down spout in an attempt to get the air down to ground level. I've seen others attempt to ride with a backpack blower with nozzle strapped pointing back... when I had it on , you couldn't ride all that fast, or it did kind of a lousy job. so it wasn't all that much faster that hiking it.

We've found especially in the Spring, using the blower to help empty nicks and drains or to blow off the double lines for features and ride arounds. makes it more practical for us to just walk. We usually have a dedicated squad of 3 doing it, and can remove the Winter branches as well.. (live in Western NY so a lot of branches down come Spring time.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pjvkWcVyZ948nZQd6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas?
    How about this?

saddlemeat
    A DIY pull behind rotary rake, like a farmer would use to rake cut hay into winrows. Driven like this... but much smaller of course. Best wishes...
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...BoC4gsQAvD_BwE
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtb'er
    Saw this...

embedded video not appearing...

https://youtu.be/hmLsZ4mUtAc

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just ride? Leave the leaves. Do a kick the sticks off walk and clear drains. You're removing the leaves because?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Just ride? Leave the leaves. Do a kick the sticks off walk and clear drains. You're removing the leaves because?
    this is generally my opinion, but I still end up leaf blowing.
    why? Because the trails I maintain disappear in the fall. It's not a big deal for me because I ride them several times a week, but unless you have that level of knowledge you will easily lose the trail. We don't have enough traffic to burn a trail into the leaves so leaf blowing it is.

Some of the local trail builders believe it dries the trails out faster, I feel it does in some cases but not always.

I wish we didn't leaf blow the more popular trails, but I don't maintain them so that's not my fight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I agree with this. On recent night ride we were discussing how leaves dampen and provide a cushion to the boney trail sections. Sort of a nice change for a few months. There are some occasional wrong turns from not being able to see trail but it's not impossible to figure out. Most people who are still riding in fall/winter are regulars anyway. This time of year I am mostly concerned with sticks getting pulled into tranny and breaking sh*t.

tbmaddox...love the 'turbo-power' video! I would crack up if I saw that guy out in the woods.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I came around a blind corner one time and ran into a guy blowing another guy right there on the trail. It took some time to erase the image from my mind.

Not cool man. Not cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    tbmaddox...love the 'turbo-power' video!
    There's gotta be someone out there who's rigged an electric leaf blower up to an e-bike.