Track Building in Far North Australia, with a mini excavator- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Track Building in Far North Australia, with a mini excavator

mtbr member

Choice of machinery

I've used a mini-buldozer only for trail building machinery. What do you see as the advantage of using an excavator?

The buldozer (Ditchwitch) worked pretty well overall. I averaged about 1000 feet/day. But it took me some time to figure out how to break large roots. It also struggled in places where there was broken rock embedded in hard clay. It would have been impossible to build trail up a steep hillside (as shown in one of the pictures). I drove it to the top to start.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    I've used a mini-buldozer only for trail building machinery. What do you see as the advantage of using an excavator?
    The biggest advantage ? it articulates ie you can be in one spot and dig/scrape./pull down in another spot simply by swiveling, assuming you can reach. He can also pull himself up quite steep slopes to get to the start of a work area and can traverse steeper areas using his bucket as a tripod. You can get zero swing for heavily wooded areas. It would be handy to have a swivel bucket to better cut the batters but this is only available in a much heavier machine. The one shown is 1.5 tonne, we have tried small but they are not suited IMO. You can also get them with variable size tracks ie it can go from 900mm - 1200 mm which can make it easier to traverse older hand built single track to get to new track. We don't use it that often.

The biggest disadvantage ? You need a skilled (and certified) operator to use one, fortunately we have Garry, a trail building volunteer

Members who have read this thread: 0