• 02-15-2019
    evan, yo!
    Strava stats for trail use?
    We're working towards a grant to fix some trails but need user numbers. We are in the process of getting a trail/bike counter installed but for the time being I would like to see if there's a way to figure out if I can get some usable data from Strava. The State Parks board doesn't believe that we have any fat bike use on the trails when indeed it's grown so much we raised enough funds to purchase a track sled to pack the trails and pay someone to do it.

My thought is to look at a popular segment on Strava and filter only this year since from before Christmas it's been enough snow to require a fat bike. That's great, but it only shows that 91 individuals have been on it this year, not that those 91 individuals rode that segment a combined X amount of times. Does anyone know of a way to see this or a Strava plugin that is NOT meant for helping you to go faster on a segment, but to look at the usage data behind it?

Yes, I know Strava only captures a small percentage of the folks that use these multi-use trails (we have lots of skiers, snowshoers, and runners) and that not everyone who fat bikes uses Strava, but if we can show that there have been, say, 300 fat bikers on a section of trail then it helps our case.
  • 02-15-2019
    Wildfire
    I've used Strava data successfully for trail grants before but have not found a way to get an actual tally off the data. Of course, the more passes by Strava users on the Strava heat map, the brighter and fatter it shows up and you can visually correlate that with the heat signatures of other nearby trails to show relative popularity of your trail. You can toggle between users (foot, bike) as well which can be helpful. Hardly anyone (around here, anyway) uses a non-fat bike for winter riding anymore so it's a good guess that the majority of bikers showing up during snow season are on fatties. If there are other ways to glean data off Strava, I'd also be interested.
  • 02-15-2019
    Harold
    If you want more granular data from Strava, you're probably going to have to look into purchasing the data that they sell for these exact purposes. And just to give you a heads-up on that part - you're going to need someone who knows GIS to be able to make sense of it. Orgs I've worked with have talked about purchasing/using this data, but for what we wanted, the limitations outweighed any benefits.

If you want to tease out the type of bikes that people are using, you're going to need to use cameras. Maybe motion-sensing trail cameras if you want a count of how many fatbikes use the trails (and how many passes/laps they do).

But if all you care about is a yes/no answer, then just taking pictures of tire tracks in the snow (with a ruler) ought to suffice.
  • 02-15-2019
    evan, yo!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Of course, the more passes by Strava users on the Strava heat map, the brighter and fatter it shows up and you can visually correlate that with the heat signatures of other nearby trails to show relative popularity of your trail.

I've tinkered around with the heat maps before and some of our trails are winter-only, so I should be able to zoom into those and show the difference in colors to emphasize the use of fat bikes. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • 02-15-2019
    mbmtb
    Companies like https://www.trailheadlabs.com/ specialize in this. Though I think they're busy on big projects like now.
    You can also use the data from Trailforks, though it's even less than Strava. But they are very friendly to MTB advocacy orgs.