Spring Trail Building- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Spring Trail Building

So what have you guys been working on so far this year? Got any cool projects for the upcoming season? Mostly been trimming lately but there are a couple of berms that are started to get ruts that I want to get to

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got out about a half dozen times this winter/spring to clear the trails of blowdowns after the storms we've had. Nothing much other than that so far.
    Last edited by ctxcrossx; 05-18-2018 at 08:35 AM.

WillWorkForTrail
    I've put in about a mile of jumpy/flowy into gnarly downhill, and about a mile of climbing flowy XC trail. Next up, some very cool building on private land. I've seen it on a map, but I get to lay eyes on it in person soon.

mtbr member
    Mostly been working on drainage maintenance and tree clearing so far. Last weekend we dug out an old plugged up drain pipe and put in a bridge. This weekend we are rerouting a 100 yard section of rogue built trail that goes through a poorly draining area.

Spring Trail Building-rce-ravine-bridge.jpg

banned
    Nov 2017
    I removed a large tree that was obstructing a trail on Sunday. This week Iíll clear another. Chainsaw will be needed most likely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So many trees down in the NE section of MA. Lots of works done, some more for sure.

mtbr member
    Same in CT...for the last 2 or 3 weeks each ride has included a few stops for cutting branches & downed trees or routing drainage here and there. Includes multiple rides at Case, Grayville, and Bluff. Things are looking better because I see recent signs that others are out there doing the same thing.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Dealing more and more with chainsaw work on emerald ash borer damaged white ash falling. Plus nor'easter-uprooted red cedars everywhere.

Holding my breath this summer that our first-in-the nation experience with the invasive Spotted Lanternfly doesn't result in too much tree damage. A really bizarre-looking bug that feeds on lots of different plants.

Moderator Moderator
    Trail design and design class in one park for a contractor build later this summer.

Trail design in another that will take one bidirectional MUT and turn in into a bike only, downhill only trail with reroutes to other trails in the network to accomodate it. Followed by volunteer corridor clear with contractors to finish it later in the season.

Finish 2 miles of a contractor built high altitude trail to complete a link between 2 individual trail networks and allow up to 9'000 ft of descending.

Build a 30' bridge across a creek on another trail.

Maintenance on a trail in our local State Park, adding more rocks and chunk mostly.

Cutting back corridor in a few other trails, common maintenance.

Trail designs in a few other parks on slate for future builds, one of which involves private property purchases, so it might be a while.

Putting a gravity park out to bid in one city park.

Supporting other trail orgs on National Trail Day in a few weeks

Between trying to do it and raise money, we're busy....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Some dirt work in the Norwich University touring center. Been keeping the water flowing off the trails and unplugging culverts. The DH trail one section I'll rework this year, tuning a fall line run into a berm into a downhill run with a step down built in, with a grade reversal at the lip and an armored landing/braking zone before the berm.

Also have at least 3 sections of new rake and ride primitive trail to go in....all well scouted. Should finally encompass the entire 600+ acre piece of School land I've been working on for the last decade....and give us (at my old-man pace) 4+ hours of riding in town. Stoked.

mtbr member
    I am trying to fix up a lot of old school rake and ride that the original builder just took a leaf blower and walked in a blew off a trail. As much as I do love "Old School" the trail does not go through the best line choices and we do not have a lot of elevation change so we need to really make use of anything flowy. Also, rake and ride on the soil type we have has caused cupping of the trail. So, I have been pin flagging and finding better lines - been fixing mud holes with turnpikes and armor. I really have had a love/hate relationship with this trail. There are times when I just want to walk away and get frustrated with the lack of help and the difficulty of the terrain. But, then there are times I get energized and excited about a rock cluster and natural berm section and there I am pin flagging another re-route. I really enjoy trail work - cutting out trail by hand is a lot of work but so rewarding. Seeing people out riding is the most rewarding of course. Mosquitos, Ticks, Sweat, Dirty, Back Ache... Ahhh it all does not matter when you see people riding a new section and one person says "cool".

WillWorkForTrail
    To carry this thread into summer - that private property project I mentioned? Came in around 6.5 miles. Pretty solid place to spend most of the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBSmNaCfpks

mtbr member
    I went away for a 2 month trip leaving a pretty solid, albeit still in progress, trail that was rideable for 7.5 miles. I came back to a solid 7.5 miles of stickers, foxtails, and goatheads in addition to some sections that got so dry they cracked really destroying the bench surface.

The stickers and foxtails were easy, but now I am battling about 2-3 miles of luscious green wiry goatheads. Everywhere else is bone dry so I am hesitant to pull out the brush trimmer and risk a spark that could light anything up, so it has been by hand, plant by pain staking plant. I'll be honest, its totally killing my buzz. Whats worse is that they are in multiple sections making any loop riding impossible right now so literally I can only work on the trail and not ride (it). Pure torture since the trailhead is two blocks from my house!

The cracked and tumultuous sections I an anticipate being rideable but definitely not going to be smooth or fun. I am contemplating how to approach them as they are mostly in "flat'ish" areas which means I can't dig them smooth. The cracks are big enough and the sections long enough that I don't think "filling" them will be an option either. Might just take the maul out and flatten them as best I can and let riding hopefully fill/smooth them back out.

Any thoughts / suggestions on the how to fix stuff that looks like the pic below plus a little more upheaval? Not an actual picture of the trail but fairly close, I would say my trail is similar cracking but more upheaval making it even rougher:

Spring Trail Building-land-dry-cracked-ground.jpg

And to answer the obvious question, these sections are sometimes in lowland areas that hold water when it really pours, but they typically dry up in a week at most, so I wouldn't call it wetland / marsh or anything like that. I have a few sections like this on non-low lying land as well. Ughh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    To carry this thread into summer - that private property project I mentioned? Came in around 6.5 miles. Pretty solid place to spend most of the summer.

That looks hella fun. Nice job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post

I like the looks of that trail.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I went away for a 2 month trip leaving a pretty solid, albeit still in progress, trail that was rideable for 7.5 miles. I came back to a solid 7.5 miles of stickers, foxtails, and goatheads in addition to some sections that got so dry they cracked really destroying the bench surface.

The stickers and foxtails were easy, but now I am battling about 2-3 miles of luscious green wiry goatheads. Everywhere else is bone dry so I am hesitant to pull out the brush trimmer and risk a spark that could light anything up, so it has been by hand, plant by pain staking plant. I'll be honest, its totally killing my buzz. Whats worse is that they are in multiple sections making any loop riding impossible right now so literally I can only work on the trail and not ride (it). Pure torture since the trailhead is two blocks from my house!

The cracked and tumultuous sections I an anticipate being rideable but definitely not going to be smooth or fun. I am contemplating how to approach them as they are mostly in "flat'ish" areas which means I can't dig them smooth. The cracks are big enough and the sections long enough that I don't think "filling" them will be an option either. Might just take the maul out and flatten them as best I can and let riding hopefully fill/smooth them back out.

Any thoughts / suggestions on the how to fix stuff that looks like the pic below plus a little more upheaval? Not an actual picture of the trail but fairly close, I would say my trail is similar cracking but more upheaval making it even rougher:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land-dry-cracked-ground.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	1212901

And to answer the obvious question, these sections are sometimes in lowland areas that hold water when it really pours, but they typically dry up in a week at most, so I wouldn't call it wetland / marsh or anything like that. I have a few sections like this on non-low lying land as well. Ughh!
    We see a lot of stuff that looks similar to that in middle TN during the summer. It can get so dry that the trails just seem to split open. We don't actively do anything to fix it, simply riding it and waiting for rain seems to do the trick. Riding it enough takes the rough edges off and leaves some silt to wash down into the cracks when it starts raining. Then the rain soaks in and everything closes up. The trick is to get enough traffic on it at that point (usually late fall) to pack the tread really well before it freezes, that way it doesn't turn into goo.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    That looks hella fun. Nice job!
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    I like the looks of that trail.
    Thanks guys. I was brought in by the contractor on that to run one of the two excavators on the project plus do my share of hand work, etc. - we had a heck of a good crew on it.