Slag off!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Slag off!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Slag off!

Wow,this stuff compacts SMOOTH and HARD. I'm building a patio with fancy stones(trying to do it right) and I'm using steel slag as my base layer 6". Compacting every 2". It is impressive stuff, really locks together and is supposed to still let water drain through.

The downside is its heavy. This means you don't get as much VOLUME per dumptruck load as you would with gravel or crush and run. The weight is also noticeable for you and whatever equipment you move it with.

Once the patio is done and my pump track is perfected I want to try covering it with a 3" layer then compacting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slag off!-img_20191026_191811-1400x1050.jpg  

Slag off!-img_20191027_155127-1050x1400.jpg  

EAT MORE GRIME
    have fun and all but I'd avoid metal slag of any type fwiw

stag nearly always contains toxic ingredients such as nickel, cadmium, chromium and strontium
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The world is a dangerous place!

mtbr member
    Where I live there are several former slag dumps, some of which now have rogue MTB trails on them. Yes the slag does make for a hard base and drains well, but it does tend to always be a bit loose on the surface. I wouldn't go out of my way to use it as a building material, but if it's already there it can come in handy.

WillWorkForTrail
    How do you even get a dump truck load of slag? Every so often I manage to sweep up a cup or so of it off my shop floor when I've been welding or building something, but a truck load? I can't imagine...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The pile with a couple tools for scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slag off!-img_20191029_074855-1050x1400.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    How do you even get a dump truck load of slag? Every so often I manage to sweep up a cup or so of it off my shop floor when I've been welding or building something, but a truck load? I can't imagine...
    There is a steel mill running 24-7 365 about an hour south of me. This is a by product from water jet cutting from what I understand. Minerals in the water reacting with the the steel its cutting creates these part steel part mineral chunks.(I could be wrong about this along with everything else) Very irregular and of all different sizes.

I'm experimenting with a roller. Compacting the slag over hard dirt base, then I'm going to hit it super heavy with asphalt sealer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My local trails are in an abandoned iron mine.

The raw iron is just as good.

K&K
    Ironwood Minnesota?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Ironwood Minnesota?
    Cuyuna

K&K
    Rode them this summer, great fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    There is a steel mill running 24-7 365 about an hour south of me. This is a by product from water jet cutting from what I understand. Minerals in the water reacting with the the steel its cutting creates these part steel part mineral chunks.(I could be wrong about this along with everything else) Very irregular and of all different sizes.

I'm experimenting with a roller. Compacting the slag over hard dirt base, then I'm going to hit it super heavy with asphalt sealer.
    The slag I am familiar with, which looks similar to what is in the photos, is left over from steel making and is more like gravel than metal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slag

Water jet cutting waste is basically just sand mixed with tiny metal particles, but is not at all chunky, unless pieces of metal that fall through the table are left in it. There was a water jet machine at my previous job and I had to help clean out the table one time.