mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Signs on Carsonite Posts

I am running into a problem that I hope others have solved.

We are installing signs on many trails per the Land Owner's request. Some people don't like some of the restrictions shown on the signs. For example, "No Horses" on some trails, "Leash Required" on some trails, and even "No MTB" on some trails. I don't like the "No MTB" signs but I understand why the Land Owner has required them (stairs, drops, etc). We hope to change that over time.

The problem is people are peeling off the decals they don't like. We are thinking about putting a clear strip over the entire top of the Carsonite post to cover all of the decals. I'm not sure how much good this will do since they seem to be using a knife to peel the decals. It might make it just a little bit harder but not discourage them much.

Has anybody solved this problem? Any recommendations?

Dirt Monkey
    Apr 2012
    You won't completely prevent it, but you can make it more difficult to remove decals, as you suggested, by using a clear cover strip (or two). Riveting a clear piece of polycarbonate plastic over the stickers may offer more protection but then they will probably just scratch the covering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great suggestion! It just happens that I have a bunch of 1/8" poly carbonate that I took off of some window inserts. Now I know where to 'get rid' of it ;-)

trail gnome
    Novichok agent?

In Soviet Russia, problem solves itself.

Edit: sorry, it's a lame outdated joke, I know. We have the same problem with people vandalizing signs, and no simple solution.
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 1 Week Ago at 10:21 AM.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

saddlemeat
    Just keep replacing the decals... it's the least effort path to the end you want. Don't provoke a pissing match, but keep the signs up. If they keep doing it they will get caught in the act by someone, that usually ends it. Keep track of costs to repair, it can add up to a felony quickly, and now you have a big stick.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'd point a game camera at it and see who's doing it.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    I'd point a game camera at it and see who's doing it.
    You could do that, depends how much energy you have, how you want to invest it. I have been installing signs along trails and observing what happens to them for a long time, just my take on my situation. Have plenty of replacement decals on hand, carry some on rides, deal with it on the spot, eventually they quit.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    You could do that, depends how much energy you have, how you want to invest it. I have been installing signs along trails and observing what happens to them for a long time, just my take on my situation. Have plenty of replacement decals on hand, carry some on rides, deal with it on the spot, eventually they quit.
    "And knowing is half the battle" lol. I guess there's not really much you can do even if you know who it is. Pitchforks and torches when out of style a long time ago.

since 4/10/2009
    at least they haven't devolved to snapping the carsonite posts. stickers are much cheaper.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    at least they haven't devolved to snapping the carsonite posts. stickers are much cheaper.
    This.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Just keep replacing the decals... it's the least effort path to the end you want. Don't provoke a pissing match, but keep the signs up. If they keep doing it they will get caught in the act by someone, that usually ends it. Keep track of costs to repair, it can add up to a felony quickly, and now you have a big stick.
    Exactly This^.
    Attrition before escalation.
    See if they are really committed to this endeavor= biggest cost to you is time in the early stages.
    Try and wear them out first.
    If they are persistent, then escalate.
    I'm a big fan of personal confrontation once the offender has been identified= 9/10 times a one on one conversation with cool heads can fix things.
    Once they have been identified and confronted(and not publically outed in a group setting), if they don't change their ways, then by all means escalate and bury the body parts in berms and landings.
    You'll know your in for a death match if the actual sign posts get removed or broken off before you confront them one on one.

K&K
    Carsonite is thrilling, lol