Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Last weekend there were about 30 volunteers including 12 from Sierra Nevada brewing company who participated in a half day effort to reclaim the previously mentioned lost trail to Woodchuck Basin. We were able to clear about a mile of the 1.5 mile trail and enjoy lunch and bottomless Sierra Nevada brews after the work was done. This weekend, we should finish clearing and start finishing. It's going to be an awesome trail when completed. If you're in the area, come on up and enjoy the day with us.
    Bear Valley Trail Stewardship is breathing new life to BV trails!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    Last weekend there were about 30 volunteers including 12 from Sierra Nevada brewing company who participated in a half day effort to reclaim the previously mentioned lost trail to Woodchuck Basin...
    That's fantastic! I haven't been up to Bear Valley yet, but need to!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Give me Parkway Drive on headphones and a pickaxe and this is what you get ...

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-32bbc1ff-d0af-4fe1-9a36-9eb0b2112909.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nice!

WillWorkForTrail
    Pictures will never do the project I've been working on justice. Now, to be fair, I got set out to build the climbing lines and transition lines (which you see some of in this video) for this project, but I also built some of the stuff on the bottom half of the trail once I'd finished all the climbing stuff. Since I haven't taken my own camera down, you get to ride with someone who has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awtANqR1bmc

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Y'all's stuff is looking good!

I'm working on my sidewoods pumptrack/trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20190807_074429-1400x1050.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20190808_070335-1050x1400.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20190808_173555-1050x1400.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A few pics from the trail work day today in Bear Valley. It was g good day! Trail is rideable from top to bottom but still needs some finish work. Today, we had an all volunteer crew of about 20 and got some great work done.

K&K
    Great video Cotharyus! What a blast it would be to actually build a purpose built trail, with equipment and people and know-how. You are an inspiration my friend!

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Great video Cotharyus! What a blast it would be to actually build a purpose built trail, with equipment and people and know-how. You are an inspiration my friend!
    Thanks! Honestly, most of the time we just hope people will be inspired to actually come out and maintain a trail like this once itís open. Fortunately it seems like we have a very inspired group of people about this trail.

mtbr member
    That looked awesome Cotharyus, nice work!

On a ride the other day, one of my buddy stopped and said, "Wouldn't it be cool of instead of this steep little ramp, we curved the trail up to the side and created two banked turns to better use the elevation drop?" I thought about and said, "Yeah, that would be sweet!" I hadn't thought of using that stretch like that, but once I heard it, I knew how to dig it Definitely cool to hear feedback from other riders with different viewpoints!

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_e9143.jpg

Still needs a little shaping and a steeper / better berm on the incoming turn, but after walking and visualizing it a few times, I think its going to be pretty bad ass! From the exit you hit a rock jib then straight into a jump line. Going to add a few smiles to this section for sure! I upped the turning radius to about 15 feet since you will be carrying a good amount of speed into the section and plan on creating a "bowl-like" berm on the initial right turn to really give people something to rail into. Since the second side is a natural berm, I just need to shape it and compact it, woot!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Since I know there are a few people riding the trail that aren't part of my crew, I felt a little sketchy with leaving the new reroute with the old trail blocked off and a serious high speed massively off camber turn lying in wait to surprise the unsuspecting.

It is HOT like 103* F hot out there right now, so I could only manage a 1.5 hours session, but I got the beginnings of a decent berm in, certainly enough to make it reasonably rideable. Hopefully it doesn't catch anyone off guard until I get a chance to really dig it in deep.

Definitely not done, but it will work for a few days!

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_e9147.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    It's rideable, based upon the fact I lived hitting it at routine trail speed this morning, but it is not pleasant. Basically a 3 foot drop to a sharp right-hander. I need to bring the entry on the inside down 2-3 feet on a slope to make it rail-able. Grrr... the work never ends
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Further progress made today. I will ride it later to see how it feels, but it looks much better. I packed the berm hard but the soil is pretty dry and loose still. I might carry up a bucket and do some watering to help it settle in. Now just need to smooth out the lower section which is still a little rough, but the flow is good!

Let's try a gif to show what its like:
    Name:  berm.gif
Views: 251
Size:  631.2 KB

Here's what it looks like from across the valley:
    Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-across-valley.jpg

Gettin' good!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    With a rider:
    Name:  Berm Rider.gif
Views: 248
Size:  647.6 KB
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Pictures will never do the project I've been working on justice. Now, to be fair, I got set out to build the climbing lines and transition lines (which you see some of in this video) for this project, but I also built some of the stuff on the bottom half of the trail once I'd finished all the climbing stuff. Since I haven't taken my own camera down, you get to ride with someone who has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awtANqR1bmc
    Beautiful work!

mtbr member
    Here is a quick follow cam of the new section:

2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    I shouldíve known better. 6í gap so went with 10í beams ...

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-92d69b35-7a0d-422b-9db0-375cd8564d3f.jpg

Not enough. I knew I shouldíve went 12í or 14í and now will need to replace it. This one will fit another crossing well so not a waste.

So I guess double the gap + a few more is a good guideline!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Am I the only one actively digging? Doing mostly spot fixes and repairs, but have my eye set on a new mini-loop addition starting next week.

Trail is starting to land on the local radar and riders are stoked. It's weird watching my baby all growed up!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Am I the only one actively digging? Doing mostly spot fixes and repairs, but have my eye set on a new mini-loop addition starting next week.

Trail is starting to land on the local radar and riders are stoked. It's weird watching my baby all growed up!
    Nope. I'm definitely still digging. Just in a different place. And there's really not much to see here.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gp6BXnNi6/

mtbr member
    Nope. I'm definitely still digging. Just in a different place. And there's really not much to see here.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gp6BXnNi6/
    I see nothing but opportunity and excitement! Go get it!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    I see nothing but opportunity and excitement! Go get it!
    Haha, oh I got my head down brother. Hiding in all that Chinese honeysuckle one of the longest sustained downhills in the area, and one with some actual tech on it too. So we'll have some natural feeling areas where there's some rock shelves and such, and then some flowy sections with maybe even a couple small tables. But for anyone who has never encounter this particular form of hell that is Chinese honeysuckle - you can't see through it, you can't escape the dust that shakes off of/out of the bark when you mess with them, it's itchy, and when it's hot outside (like now) even being on the highest hill for several miles, no air moves in this stuff no matter how hard the wind blows. It's suffocating, stifling work. Fortunately, they pull up easily with a mini-ex. Pretty stoked for this job because it's less than an hour from my house, so I get to spend some time at home too.

mtbr member
    Last Tuesday my child decided to bite back. Was showing a new group of locals the trail. On a new bike going too fast. Iíve made several comments about the surprising steepness of the entrance to the half pipe. Well, I found out just how bad a fall there could be.

Came in going way too fast, knew it, decide to just lean in through it. Not exactly sure but think I momentarily lost traction then my front wheel spiked leading to OTB. It was a good 8 feet in the air straight to my shoulder. The result:

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-3167d62b-b30e-4bed-b987-f035ca67d7c4.jpg

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-963df600-abae-4158-870a-34575af6de7a.jpeg

Broke my collarbone in three places. I go into surgery tomorrow and have a long recovery ahead.

But thatís not the point of this post. Spending the last almost week on the couch made me realize itís not just the riding I miss. I miss digging and working on the trail just as much. I miss waking up early and hitting hill while the rest of the world sleeps:

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-0d2aedda-cfbb-41c9-980c-bf399416dcc4.jpeg

I miss the craftsmanship, the problem solving and the head down physical labor. Time feels slow, but goes fast.

Be glad you can be out there digging and creating. Think of me sitting on the couching wishing nothing more than I too could be out there. The next 6 weeks are going to suck

Feel free to cheer me up with pictures or progress on your new dig!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Damn! That sucks man! I hope you heal well and are able to get back at it soon.
    Yesterday, I took a bunch of NICA NorCal League coaches out on a couple of reclaimed trails here in Bear Valley and the stoke from them was awesome! It makes all the hard work digging totally worth it!

WillWorkForTrail
    Last Tuesday my child decided to bite back. Was showing a new group of locals the trail. On a new bike going too fast. Iíve made several comments about the surprising steepness of the entrance to the half pipe. Well, I found out just how bad a fall there could be.

Came in going way too fast, knew it, decide to just lean in through it. Not exactly sure but think I momentarily lost traction then my front wheel spiked leading to OTB. It was a good 8 feet in the air straight to my shoulder. The result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3167D62B-B30E-4BED-B987-F035CA67D7C4.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	1281275

Name:	963DF600-ABAE-4158-870A-34575AF6DE7A.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	1281277

Broke my collarbone in three places. I go into surgery tomorrow and have a long recovery ahead.

But thatís not the point of this post. Spending the last almost week on the couch made me realize itís not just the riding I miss. I miss digging and working on the trail just as much. I miss waking up early and hitting hill while the rest of the world sleeps:

Name:	0D2AEDDA-CFBB-41C9-980C-BF399416DCC4.jpeg 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	1281301

I miss the craftsmanship, the problem solving and the head down physical labor. Time feels slow, but goes fast.

Be glad you can be out there digging and creating. Think of me sitting on the couching wishing nothing more than I too could be out there. The next 6 weeks are going to suck

This is the thing that scares me most, to be honest - as someone who digs for a living, getting it right while I'm out riding is very, very important, because I want to have fun riding, but if I can't dig, I'm not getting paid. I've got some pictures of fresh dirt running around somewhere, I'll try to post some up for this week. We're just praying for rain here. All the dirt we're stacking for features is like talcum powder right now. We can't even properly speed check the trail we're building until it gets wet and we can compact it some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Name:	3167D62B-B30E-4BED-B987-F035CA67D7C4.jpg 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	1281275

Name:	963DF600-ABAE-4158-870A-34575AF6DE7A.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	1281277

Name:	0D2AEDDA-CFBB-41C9-980C-BF399416DCC4.jpeg 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	1281301

Hope the recovery goes fast. I'll try to take some pictures but I usually forget or look at em later and decide they're not worth posting. I'm going to miss your trail pictures!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Light trailwork is my planned rehab program!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    We're just praying for rain here. All the dirt we're stacking for features is like talcum powder right now. We can't even properly speed check the trail we're building until it gets wet and we can compact it some.
    Same boat here in MD. We've got machine built and hand built happening simultaneously and both are too dry to do much... But the machine stuff is literally blowing away in the wind when we try to work it. C'mon rain!

WillWorkForTrail
    Here's a little set we were working on yesterday..

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2177ukH7uk/

mtbr member
    Here's a little set we were working on yesterday..

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2177ukH7uk/
    That looks like itís going to be awesome!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I wetted down an area enough to be usable. It took alot of water and then alot time for it to soak in deep enough. Really looking forward to some rain around these parts!

When conditions are right works its awesome, when it doesn't it's a huge pita.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20190930_074754-1400x1050.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bummer about your injury, Roughster.

Not much time for building trail this season. The Master Plan for our park is getting a complete redo, and most of my spring was taken up with trail layout and planning for our proposal in June. We've had crazy amounts of rain, and most of July and early August was devoted to weed cutting.

I finally got to start in on a downhill I've been itching to improve. Adding grade reversals for water control and trail insloping to allow riders to take it faster. I finished this area, and polished up a traverse over to the second, much longer downhill. This latest area hasn't seen much improvement in the previous 15 years or so, and there's a lot to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1344-downsized-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks Walt! That trail looks great! Love the few shady sections of my local trail!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    I wetted down an area enough to be usable. It took alot of water and then alot time for it to soak in deep enough. Really looking forward to some rain around these parts!

When conditions are right works its awesome, when it doesn't it's a huge pita.
    Wish you could get some of the rain we've had here. Around 7" for the month, one of the wettest on record.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemb View Post
    Wish you could get some of the rain we've had here. Around 7" for the month, one of the wettest on record.
    Same boat here, I'm in the middle of a 6.25 expansion, started in June, should be done by now. The only bonus is I know which spots need to be armored on a wet year.

WillWorkForTrail

mtbr member
    May 2006

Recent Bridge Project

Here's a few pictures from a recent bridge project using 32' bar joists. The bridge is 47" wide between the rail posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1015.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1016.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1691.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1693.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1705.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1714.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1713.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1716.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_1718.jpg  

Never Forget

WillWorkForTrail
    Couple of pictures in this set. Hand finished over 1000' of trail yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3NzhV2nEM0/

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm going to have some fun with this thing after work today. Using it to brush hog the edges of my logging paths then pivot to the 90 deg position and trim the side overhangs.

It's a cool piece of equipment, I'm going to have it for the weekend and have a to shoot some videos of it operating and how to switch positions as payment for the use.

I'll be sure to put some before and after photos up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-mvimg_20191005_074839-1400x1050.jpg  

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20191005_074831-1050x1400.jpg  

K&K
    Looks like fun! Great way to pay for it, that's brilliant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Side cutter mode, about to get to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20191005_123710-1400x1050.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Now that's cool. I've been looking for something that will do that on a smaller tractor.

mtbr member
    A switchback on my downhill rebuild project. Nice yellow-brown clay with few rocks in this spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-switchback16oct2019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Doctor gave green light to hiking and light lifting. Grabbed a hoe and just moved a little dirt around an existing project spot. Packed it with my feet walking back and forth. Itís off the main loop and not connected so not worried about someone trying to ride it.

I will say, I found it tremendously therapeutic and satisfying after almost a month on the couch. Just need a little rain, an all healed up me, and my good friend Mr. Tamper

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-ec2fb92e-7306-4672-9a39-9ec00ffeb6d0.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Doctor gave green light to hiking and light lifting. Grabbed a hoe and just moved a little dirt around an existing project spot. Packed it with my feet walking back and forth. Itís off the main loop and not connected so not worried about someone trying to ride it.

I will say, I found it tremendously therapeutic and satisfying after almost a month on the couch. Just need a little rain, an all healed up me, and my good friend Mr. Tamper
    Pretty

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've been working on the Heart trail Realignment project on and off since mid June as a crew leader for American Conservation Experience. Our advocacy group has been actively working on this and the Little Elden trail realignments since August of 2016.

Go to my Instagram to check it out.

https://www.instagram.com/raisingarizona13/

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I've been working on the Heart trail Realignment project on and off since mid June as a crew leader for American Conservation Experience. Our advocacy group has been actively working on this and the Little Elden trail realignments since August of 2016.

Go to my Instagram to check it out.

https://www.instagram.com/raisingarizona13/

thanks!
    Awesome! Canít wait to get out to Flag! Ride one day, climb, ride, climb, sounds awesome!

I got a little bit done today

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-d7e8daef-97a2-435a-ab0f-49fe47eaf860.jpg

After the ďflowĒ post, I had something to prove, mission accomplished! The pano gives it a false perspective of proximity. 9 x 15í turns around and down a steep hill before a steep chute hip launch to a berm followed by a 40í wood bridge (Not yet IP but soon) to the climb back to the starting point, which is about 8 miles in.

I got 4 of them done, but need rain or Iíll have to hike up some water up at some point. I walked out with a grin a mile wide. Sometimes it about flow for the builder!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Double gully crossing, each side about 4 feet deep, linked by a 90 degree turn across this spine. For a little perspective, elevation difference from the bottom of the tree to the top of the spine is about 5.5 feet. Should be a good time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-uU-7HRkV/

mtbr member
    Double gully crossing, each side about 4 feet deep, linked by a 90 degree turn across this spine. For a little perspective, elevation difference from the bottom of the tree to the top of the spine is about 5.5 feet. Should be a good time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3-uU-7HRkV/
    Damn that looks great! I see that drain pipe / culvert underneath as well, nicely done! Did you do any rock work around the drain to keep it integral or is mostly for seepage not necessarily an actual flow?
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Very nice. Wider berms like that just aren't feasible (usually) to build by hand. And they ride so nicely.

WillWorkForTrail
    Damn that looks great! I see that drain pipe / culvert underneath as well, nicely done! Did you do any rock work around the drain to keep it integral or is mostly for seepage not necessarily an actual flow?
    Thanks!

That pipe has a little rock around the inlet, I anticipate a limited amount of flow during heavy rain events, but not anything dramatic. I tend to pipe anything in these run-ins that I can't make flat bottomed - in other words, if I have to build the bottom up, I don't want to create a pond. We built through an even larger run-in yesterday but kept the bottom flat, and even if a significant amount of water runs through it, it won't do so fast enough to wash anything out.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy View Post
    Very nice. Wider berms like that just aren't feasible (usually) to build by hand. And they ride so nicely.
    Thanks Walt! I'm the guy that can take or leave a berm, as far as whether or not a trail needs them, but yeah, if I'm running two excavators on a job, and I get to a place where I can put a big fin in like that, it's for sure a feature people will talk about and take pictures of to post. Last trail I was working on we had some masonry available and built some box drops - I think every post I see from someone riding that trail they have a picture of those box drops with someone coming off them. I suspect this and one particular table top on this trail will be about the same.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

That pipe has a little rock around the inlet, I anticipate a limited amount of flow during heavy rain events, but not anything dramatic. I tend to pipe anything in these run-ins that I can't make flat bottomed - in other words, if I have to build the bottom up, I don't want to create a pond. We built through an even larger run-in yesterday but kept the bottom flat, and even if a significant amount of water runs through it, it won't do so fast enough to wash anything out.
    This is similar to my design philosophy for streambed crossings. The manager for the land I work on is opposed to bridges. We learned from observing what worked on our own trail or at other trails that rock armor needs to be close to flush with the bottom of the stream bed, or bad things will happen.

We have had 400lb rocks wash out of crossings. More often, the trail approaching or leaving the crossings either washes out or becomes saturated and churned up by the riders using it.

The last 2 years in a row have seen rainfall totals set new records in Wisconsin. The problem isn't getting better, so we need to improve the quality of our trail work.

Thanks for showing how a quality build is done!

mtbr member
    Agreed, thanks for the follow-up Cotharyus! My buddy and I were walking the trail this morning talking about lessons learned from last season and we have one creek crossing and another where there is no other choice but to cross a flood plain (no running water just a seepy mass of mudiness). The creek crossing is at the bottom of a ravine and g-out, so we are thinking culvert pretty much exactly how you have this one built.

The flood plain we are thinking about starting with a 12" wide elevated plankway in 8' sections on top of local oak hardwood sections raised about 8-10" above the ground for 40'. Not ideal and wish there was a better solution, but the flood plain basically isolates one of the better DH trails, so we have to find a way across.

If the the 12" planks don't work, I've already sketched out the plans for a 3' x 40' elevated wood bridge sitting on cement pylons, but that is going to take a lot more $$ and humping the materials in about 4 miles from the nearest trailhead in a direct shot, ughh.
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy View Post
    This is similar to my design philosophy for streambed crossings. The manager for the land I work on is opposed to bridges. We learned from observing what worked on our own trail or at other trails that rock armor needs to be close to flush with the bottom of the stream bed, or bad things will happen.

We have had 400lb rocks wash out of crossings. More often, the trail approaching or leaving the crossings either washes out or becomes saturated and churned up by the riders using it.

The last 2 years in a row have seen rainfall totals set new records in Wisconsin. The problem isn't getting better, so we need to improve the quality of our trail work.

Thanks for showing how a quality build is done!
    To be honest, I don't care for bridges either. There have been situations where they've been necessary (regulations on running streams, etc) but if I can get away with not building one, I'll build a natural line EVERY time. Running water has some serious power. I've seen what I thought were some very well built rock crossings wash out in recent years. I try to pay a lot of attention to places that water can "get hold of" and usually try to slow water down before it gets to my crossings by building up the bottom of the channel some to flatten things out a little, or making things a little wider. Lots of little tricks you can use, it's just knowing what to do where.

WillWorkForTrail
    Agreed, thanks for the follow-up Cotharyus! My buddy and I were walking the trail this morning talking about lessons learned from last season and we have one creek crossing and another where there is no other choice but to cross a flood plain (no running water just a seepy mass of mudiness). The creek crossing is at the bottom of a ravine and g-out, so we are thinking culvert pretty much exactly how you have this one built.

The flood plain we are thinking about starting with a 12" wide elevated plankway in 8' sections on top of local oak hardwood sections raised about 8-10" above the ground for 40'. Not ideal and wish there was a better solution, but the flood plain basically isolates one of the better DH trails, so we have to find a way across.

If the the 12" planks don't work, I've already sketched out the plans for a 3' x 40' elevated wood bridge sitting on cement pylons, but that is going to take a lot more $$ and humping the materials in about 4 miles from the nearest trailhead in a direct shot, ughh.
    Does water flow across this wet section at all, or is it just soft and wet? We had a section like this on a local trail and we just turnpiked it, although it was subject to some runoff heading towards a nearby creek. I started by putting down some landscape cloth so that everything else we did could be easily reversed if this didn't work or it needed to be taken out for some reason. Lined out 8 foot sections with some cedar logs harvested from deadfall in the woods around the trail. To accommodate the runoff we put 4" pipe between the 8 foot sections of cedar. Borrowed some creek gravel and sand from the nearby creek and put down a layer over everything, then topped it (crowned in the center, sides above the logs) with dirt. It's been at least 8 years, and that section of trail has never been a problem again. After a couple of years, lots of people stopped even noticing that anything had been "built" there to support the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Time to bring out the lights. If I'm not at work it's dark outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_20191025_212828-1400x1050.jpg  

mtbr member
    Does water flow across this wet section at all, or is it just soft and wet? We had a section like this on a local trail and we just turnpiked it, although it was subject to some runoff heading towards a nearby creek. I started by putting down some landscape cloth so that everything else we did could be easily reversed if this didn't work or it needed to be taken out for some reason. Lined out 8 foot sections with some cedar logs harvested from deadfall in the woods around the trail. To accommodate the runoff we put 4" pipe between the 8 foot sections of cedar. Borrowed some creek gravel and sand from the nearby creek and put down a layer over everything, then topped it (crowned in the center, sides above the logs) with dirt. It's been at least 8 years, and that section of trail has never been a problem again. After a couple of years, lots of people stopped even noticing that anything had been "built" there to support the trail.
    Hmm I hadnít really thought about using a raised trail. How deep was the sand / gravel? This might work as there isnít any actually running water that Iíve seen. Thereís lots of oak to line the edges with, but might be hard to scrape up depth of sand / gravel x 3í x 40í of sand / gravel.
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Hmm I hadnít really thought about using a raised trail. How deep was the sand / gravel? This might work as there isnít any actually running water that Iíve seen. Thereís lots of oak to line the edges with, but might be hard to scrape up depth of sand / gravel x 3í x 40í of sand / gravel.
    We used about 3-3.5" of sand/gravel and topped it with about that much dirt. It's really just to ensure the trail surface can drain down.

mtbr member
    Nice, ok I can probably use a mix of smaller rocks and gravel to get that. Thanks for the tip!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Nice, ok I can probably use a mix of smaller rocks and gravel to get that. Thanks for the tip!
    No problem. There are so many little tricks and different ways to do things, sometimes the right solution is out there and we just don't think about it. I'm happy to be able to provide an option for something like this that doesn't involve decking that can break or stay super slick or screws can back out of or whatever. It just seems much easier to use more permanent materials. After all, I might get to ride your trail one day, and I'd want it to be as awesome as possible. Thanks for building trails!

mtbr member
    The start of a big steep turn. About a 20í turning radius on a steep hill. Using a small natural ridge as the top of the berm. This thing is going to be killer!

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-fd027ab7-37c8-47e1-9aea-b0582696cf89.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Follow-up on the turn above. Needs to be "deeper" and I need to shave down the inside edge. It's like this wall pushing you right and stopping you from leaning. Not a good feeling as this corner is steep.

The rest of the new DH is pretty good, but this was my first time riding it and I identified some trouble spots I'll deal with this week. The below is not one of them!

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-img_0077.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    So, I went out and fixed two berms that were too tight. Not turning radius-wise, but due to the steepness of the hill and the resulting depth of the cut, left an inner radius "lip" that prevented you from leaning into the turn.

I went out and added about 1-2' of "width" to the two berms in question and they are good, see pic below for example:

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-berm.jpeg

However, for some reason which is still unknown to me ( ) I forgot to shave down the inside edge and it still has a bit of a "wall" / "lip" on the inner radius. If you look at the pic, the inner wall at the apex of the turn is probably 3-4' tall to the rider as they hit that spot.

For example, the Demo Flow trail in Santa Cruz is locally considered the "best" flow trail and features inner turn "bowls" like this:

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-demo.jpg

Obviously given the steepness of my trail (it is WAY steeper than it looks in that pic), I will never have *that* open of an inner radius. Also, they have the luxury of using a machine while I use these machines:

Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-hand.jpg

SO! My question is, how far "down" do you shave the inside edge / wall of a steep turn? I was thinking of bring it down to less than knee high which seems like if you took an inside line, would give you clearance. Unfortunately though, this would means an angled slope which most definitely lead to fill / debris sliding down into the bottom of the turn.

The turn rides fine the way it is now in the improved state. Should I just leave the inner wall as is to "encourage" the rider to ride the berm? I should mention that this is on a DH only section and will be a black diamond for sure.

I need some experienced guidance here as I am really trying to perfect my berm design and build sequence, and don;t want to waste time here, if it would be better suited to new trail
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Your back slope is too steep. That a lot of vert for a turn of that radius, it looks like the berm ends too soon. That's a really steep place for a through-the-fall-line turn.
    Maybe a lay out issue. You have to know, if hand building, that turning through the fall line on a slope like that means a lot of digging. Also, eye-balling how much material will need to be moved for any turn like that is hard, and the tendency is to grossly underestimate how much digging you will need to do. Volume is very difficult to visualize, and big berms through steep slopes like that will require a LOT of material. Very common mistake. Use the material you generate by cutting a proper back slope to continue the berm. Also, tread shape is important, and almost no one does this, but a bermed turn is not a banked turn. The bottom of a berm is flat, the top of a berm is over steep. The tread should be heavily cupped so if a rider enters too low, they slip up to the pocket, and if they enter too high, they slip down into the pocket. This creates the feeling of being pressed into the berm. Banked turn very often are not steep enough and the feel of it is that you are still slipping up towards the top edge of the tread. If an in sloped turn shows wear and use within a few inches of the top edge of the tread, it is not steep enough, and the tread should be cupped to create a pocket and keep people in the groove, not out on the edge. If you shape it correctly, use actually help keep a good pocket and the berms take on an awesome, almost overhung shape that gives a feeling of positive traction and increased acceleration. $.02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Your back slope is too steep. That a lot of vert for a turn of that radius, it looks like the berm ends too soon. That's a really steep place for a through-the-fall-line turn.
    Maybe a lay out issue. You have to know, if hand building, that turning through the fall line on a slope like that means a lot of digging. Also, eye-balling how much material will need to be moved for any turn like that is hard, and the tendency is to grossly underestimate how much digging you will need to do. Volume is very difficult to visualize, and big berms through steep slopes like that will require a LOT of material. Very common mistake. Use the material you generate by cutting a proper back slope to continue the berm. $.02
    Thanks for the feedback. Agreed on the back slope, which is the nature of my question. The question is "how far down" should I take it? Flush? 1'? 3'? I know about the "waterfall" effect, but the dirt here in California, particularly in my area, is decent density of clay and thirsty. Even in super heavy rain years / periods, the ground just absorbs whatever Mother Nature throws at it especially on steeper slopes (such as this).

As for the berm, I had to get a picture while actually standing below the trail on the steep hill to get the turn in one shot, so there is a little bit of depth perception that is off. The berm is actually quite large even at the bottom of the picture but I was almost level with it. It would be nice to have a picture of a rider on it so you can see the scale.

Regardless, I totally agree that I will use the material from the back slope "shave" to keep building up the berm. Actually, I don;t really have a choice other than to do that. And as for lay out, this part of the trail basically is on a "mound" aka it has a steep slope off all sides so going up and down it with turns are the only real options other than to avoid the entire hillside, which isn't happening!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think 30 degrees is the max angle of inclination generally accepted for sustainable back slopes. Even a 45 would be a good goal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I think 30 degrees is the max angle of inclination generally accepted for sustainable back slopes. Even a 45 would be a good goal.
    Awesome! Thank you
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    A fun project I've been pecking away at for a few years, trying to etch in a descent from the ridge to the East of town. 1300 vert, 3.5 miles of primitive, under built trail. No benching. No berms other than utilizing natural undulations to maintain natural force during cornering where I could. Got a quick ride just before rifle season starts. Chunky, hand built, challenging trail. Sea of leaves out there makes it real interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-20191104_114925-0-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice Dave! Where I can keep it rocky, primitive and fun I am as well, but I am working with a ton of steep bovine terraced hillsides. Need to put in features or it would be exactly like every other trail around these parts, lol!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Feedback from a local rider today on the new corners, lol!
    Show a Pic of Your In-process / Recently Finished Trail-feedback.png
    SHOULDER MUST GET BETTER ASAP!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

WillWorkForTrail
    Yep. Newsflash: Cool new trail is cool. Way to go man!

mtbr member
    Rain finally comes to NorCal. I'm warming up the tools of the trade now Can't wait to start really berming up a lot of the newer stuff!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12