Save Montana's Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Save Montana's Trails

I am a concerned montana mountain biker that has started this thread to try and get the ball rolling to save our trails. I am just one individual. I don't know what needs to be done, what can be done or what already has been done toward this effort. I'm simply going to list things that our on my mind, and list my suggestions and also ask questions. Please chime in and comment, suggest add and please spread the word.

Montana is in real danger of losing lots of riding all over the state. There are immediate threats such as Hylite and the wilderness study areas but every rider in the state should be concerned because more areas will be affected in the future. I believe montana riders need to come together as a whole. We need a thousands strong organized group to voice our concerns and try and save the trails. Right now there seems to only be concerned individuals and small bike clubs scattered thoughout the state. This isn't going to give us a strong voice against those who want to shut us down.

IMBA
    First off please join IMBA right away. Does IMBA have a regional representative for Montana? Are there any offices located in Montana? Are they doing anything to fight to save our trails besides spreading the news that they are threatened? I think they should be able to help us out and suggest ways to fight this.

What can we do?
    Writing letters to the forest service, mass petitions, spreading the news, unite bikers individuals and clubs, meet with the forest service, blm, etc. Seek advice from out of state where others have fought and saved their trails. Get an IMBA representative to teach us what we can do. Seek legal advice from those who know.
    Meet with the groups trying to shut us down. (MWA, backcoutry horsemen)
    I think its important to try and talk with the goups that are trying to shut down certain areas to mountain bikes. Maybe they won't give us the time of day but its worth a try.

Montana Wilderness Association
    Please do not support this group. They seem to be a corrupt orgainization trying to claim all pubilc land for themselves and turn it all into wilderness. They seem to want everywhere to be a horse and mule heaven closed to everyone else who might get in there way and spook there horses.

We must unite.
    I don't believe inviduals and small clubs are going to stand a chance against the MWA and some of these other large groups that are trying to shut us down. I believe we will be strong if we can unite all of montana riders. Maybe we need to form a new non profit orgainzation, perhaps the (mountain bicyclists of montana) Maybe we just need to form an orgainized Montana chapter of the IMBA . A website would be good.

Individuals
    We all have busy lives. Our jobs, families, etc. but everyone can help in some way.

The bike shops
    We need the bike shops to take charge and take action. These guys and gals are all about bikes everyday.. We need every bike shop in montana to be a part of this. Displaying a poster explaining our cause and the threats and telling people to get involved.

MTBR
    This site is a great way to get the word out and to communicate with others.

We can't wait another year, the threat of losing our trails is now!!

If not here, where? If not now, when? If not us, who?

Apr 2007
    THIS IS MONTANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

thanks Montanabiker

Somehow you have come to the same conclusions our group has in the quest to save our areas from the march of Wilderness. That tells me the subject is pretty clear. You thought out all the details or nuances and show a well rounded grasp of the situation. You are right, we need to grow our IMBA numbers here. That is one of our primary goals this summer, yet the bike shop guys, who help us all the time, don't join. It's frustrating. Yep, we need more bodies, more actual help. Those of us who are really active in this are bordering on burnout, battleing professionals at the Wilderness game.

Thanks for going to bat for Montana on MTBR. You have recognized this forum for what it could be, but unfortunately it doesn't quite work that well. Also check out http://www.bozemanbiketalk.com. We could use more help and would love to have you on board to spread out the load.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    yet the bike shop guys, who help us all the time, don't join. It's frustrating.
    Bike shop owners should encourage employees to join. It really does affect their bottom line. Smart store owners should see the connection between trail access and sales.

Apr 2007
    It seems like every who uses the mountains these days are in trouble of losing there favorite riding spot unless of course you JUST hike or cross country ski.
    I do a lot of snowmobiling in the winter and we are constantly fighting to keep of what little areas we are allowed to ride in. If everyone united together....e.i. MTBer's, snowmoblier's, ATVer's etc we'd probably even get some land back.
    I don't know what it is with the hardcore hiker/cc skier, they just want it all to themselves.
    One of the biggest way to help keep our trails alive in MT is getting the SHARE license plates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowSnob
    It seems like every who uses the mountains these days are in trouble of losing there favorite riding spot unless of course you JUST hike or cross country ski.
    I do a lot of snowmobiling in the winter and we are constantly fighting to keep of what little areas we are allowed to ride in. If everyone united together....e.i. MTBer's, snowmoblier's, ATVer's etc we'd probably even get some land back.
    I don't know what it is with the hardcore hiker/cc skier, they just want it all to themselves.
    One of the biggest way to help keep our trails alive in MT is getting the SHARE license plates.
    Unfortunately the SHARE licenses have a motorized connotation. I like the idea, but I'd rather give my money direct to IMBA's legal fund. So I did.

JAK
    mtbr member

howdy greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    Unfortunately the SHARE licenses have a motorized connotation. I like the idea, but I'd rather give my money direct to IMBA's legal fund. So I did.
    Hey man, speaking of IMBA's legal fund, I hear the MontanaWildernessAssoc. is sueing IMBA for ?? ...is this true???

RE: Snow Bob...we(WesternMT) have a ton of trails in proposed Wild. areas and they used to be open to bikes, because they used the operative word...'Motorized'...the latest draft has that word changed to...'Mechanized'...so skiing should not be allowed either. I am a BC skier as well, but if they wish to use the later over the former, then they need to know that skiing will no be allowed. Sofar, they seem to avoid that connection....why, b/c they ski. A ski binding is hella mechanized.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

IMBA is safe for now.

Howdy JAK,

IMBA is not being sued but sure is concrned about what is happening in the Gallatin. the MWA is suing the forest service over the Gallatin Travel Plan. Check out the lawsuit at Bozemanbiketalk.com.

Mechanized, or whatever they want to call it, just an excuse. The forest service is frustrated that we are confronting them on their region one policy. They want us to be satisfied and just go away. Tough to be happy about 50 new wilderness areas locking up our currently accessible alpine basins and ridges.

Greg

Apr 2007
    Well it seems to me these people go hiking on a trail and get pissed off if they come across anything but another hiker and I read somewhere they don't even like that??
    They want total solitude when they go out so I think they should start banning hikers in prime biking areas. How does someone who wants to walk have more rights then someone who wants to bike?
    Last edited by SnowSnob; 08-15-2007 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

same situation near us

We have the same sort of situation. The housing boom is eating into the forested area, which houses the current trail system.
    Then we have a large federal entity that manages the trail system. Its getting flattened down to a pancake because their mandate is to attract "the baby boomers". So, they feel that tourism would really grow if they accommodated this specific age group.
    But, in reality, they are not coming. But, the dog walkers are! The tourists never came, but the people making money off the new flat trails have huge homes now...

Mountain bikers are perceived as being pests (propaganda fed down the publics throat through the media, probably by the large federal entity). The less of us they have, the more freedom they have to put up more signs and regulate (bigger the empire that grows) and the more money they can throw at flattening the trails (more bigger the empire as program managers have to manage the contractors flattening the trails) etc...

Anyhow, I am resorting to taking pictures of kids on mountain bikes vs kids doing crack on the streets at night. The picture has a caption for the political forces:
    "its either this or this"

what's more costlier over time.

empires. Kills next generation dead.

Members who have read this thread: 0