Resources for workshops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Resources for workshops

Just brainstorming for resources to use with hosting trail building\maintenance workshops.

I'm getting the IMBA CD on trail building...

Other than asking for an IMBA Care Crew visit or a professional contractor to visit:

What other resources would be good to use for a work shop? Even if it's a compilation of resources for a club to have on hand.

(I would certainly propose those interested to buy either or both of the IMBA manuals but they are more of an individual, read on your own personal time, type of resource.)

I can probably find an easy comfortable venue that has media access such as a dvd player and wide screen TV. (Allows food and alcohol.) Which is located near a trail system for actual trail building and maintenance for post workshop hands on experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It is important to combine field sessions with your classrooom sessions. A lot of concepts of trail construction and trail maintenance are easier to understand when you see them in use on the ground. This is particularly true of trail design concepts.

See if there is a local member of the trail builder community who enjoys teaching. They can bring a lot of enthusiasm and context to the subjects being taught.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ya, pretty much got that covered. I guess I am looking for more audio\video\paper resources. It would be nice to have a selection of videos to choose from as well as different dvd. I think having a handbook, small enough to put in a pack, that has all the trail building specifics from the Trail Solutions manual...with the pics. Leave off everything but the trail building chapters...

I guess there could be some good sources of forest service information but none of our trails systems are federal land and so we don't have that hang up for national forest regulations.

Paper handouts would be good but could probably make copies...

I basically want to 'flood' our area with opportunities to learn how to build trail and hopefully pick up a few individuals who will be exceptionally motivated to learn how to build trail, help with crew leading and take up TC roles. Even if not taking up TC roles, just be ready to lead crews...

(background: I am the trail chair with at least 3 experienced TC's (a couple more that are learning), we have a private contractor\IMBA club member on hand to use when needed, work shop will be conducted near a trail system that is in the process of growing and ready to use for field sessions.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Source for Trail Information

The Outdoor Stewardship Institute in Denver, (formerly Colorado Outdoor Training Institute), has a number of training programs that our Association (COMBA.org) uses regularly. One is a crew leader training program. As a part of the program, OSI provides a 10 page (double-sided), pocket-sized information cards, printed on heavy plastic, that is very helpful during trail days. It covers areas like project checklist and reminders; crew safety; tool safety; terminology; trail construction and maintenance principles, etc. It's a great reference tool for our crew leaders as well as an educational tool for the volunteers. As is often said, a picture is worth 1000 words. I rely I mine all the time during work days. They may be willing to sell them. Here's an example. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resources for workshops-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Casey...excellent. Let me know what your people have to say about sharing the love. We would be interested in this material and can be reimbursed by the club.

We also have an IMBA Trail School Presentation cd that we can add to what I ordered from the IMBA store.

I think another resource, that shouldn't be too hard, is some basic material on construction quidelines. Why we should use bolts instead of other options, galvanized versus un-galvanized, proper size of stringers and supports depending on sizes of bridges and features...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=dhouskee;8947771]Casey...excellent. Let me know what your people have to say about sharing the love. We would be interested in this material and can be reimbursed by the club.

Sent you a PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0