REI grants- Mtbr.com

Thread: REI grants

Don't worry, be happy!

REI grants

anyone ever applied for/recieved a REI Conservation Grant? We've been nominated by our local REI to submit an application

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    anyone ever applied for/recieved a REI Conservation Grant? We've been nominated by our local REI to submit an application
    I haven't personally, but other members of the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (BTCEB) and BTC Marin have and we've been awarded grants for Youth Bike programs, membership drives and trail maintenance over the last couple of years.

REI gave a grant for repair to a major bridge that had been washed out on a trail in China Camp State Park in CA recently. I am sure that it was due to a grant submittal.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    On behalf of our local club, I applied for and received an REI grant for tools. I created a budget based on the tools we needed, wrote the request, and applied. You have nothing to lose by submitting the application.

Dewayne

Don't worry, be happy!
    do you have your 501C3? I haven't seen yet on the paperwork that you need it,but I'm not too far into it.

Tools is what we are thinking, other things that the usual handtools(pulaskis) that everyone seems to have. A couple of Mcloeds, GPS, clinometer, BOB for hauling, maybe some drills with battery packs (sign installation) or >??

You mind sharing what kind of budget range you were in ? I went online and looked at the samples, lots of big trails type groups that got $40k and things like that, no examples of what small clubs have done.

thanks

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    do you have your 501C3? I haven't seen yet on the paperwork that you need it,but I'm not too far into it.

Tools is what we are thinking, other things that the usual handtools(pulaskis) that everyone seems to have. A couple of Mcloeds, GPS, clinometer, BOB for hauling, maybe some drills with battery packs (sign installation) or >??

You mind sharing what kind of budget range you were in ? I went online and looked at the samples, lots of big trails type groups that got $40k and things like that, no examples of what small clubs have done.

thanks
    Yes, the club is a not-for-profit and has a 501(c)3.

The grant was for around $1,800 and included much of the stuff you listed. We got a BOB Ibex, two clinometers, pulaskis, Mcleods, a measuring wheel, I think, etc.

Good luck!

D

Don't worry, be happy!
    oh, measuring wheel, didn't think of that. We also put several copies of the two IMBA books on our list, "club library". Thank you so much, I may be in touch later as I get into this.

We just ( like last week) sent our tax exempt paperwork in, and they say you are supposed to hear back in 21 days. That gives us barely enough time, assuming it's accepted and we get our status.

thanks!

mtbr member

Where do you store your tools?

Guys once you get the grant and purchase your tools, etc. where do you plan on storing things? Are you thinking just in your own shed or something a bit easier for others in the club to access?

I ask because, while my club doesn't have tools, the first grant we get will go towards them, but I don't know how the members will feel about them being in my garage. I just wanted to see how others have handled it.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray
    Guys once you get the grant and purchase your tools, etc. where do you plan on storing things? Are you thinking just in your own shed or something a bit easier for others in the club to access?

I ask because, while my club doesn't have tools, the first grant we get will go towards them, but I don't know how the members will feel about them being in my garage. I just wanted to see how others have handled it.
    We have a storage space rented in a central location with a combination lock. We keep the club banner, water coolers, tools, schwag, etc. there. If you'll be working on a project further away from a central location, see if you can find a storage facility near the work site that will go month-to-month. Fortunately, one of our stewards lived a couple of miles away from one of the big trail projects and had a storage shed on his lot that we used.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We received a smaller grant in the past and are indirect recipients of the many $10,000 grants given this year.

The park “Friends” group where we have a master plan for 18 miles of single track received one of the grants and much of the spending is going for things we need that range from tools and chain saw certification to helping purchase a second utility vehicle. The grant will also pay for machinery rental to accelerate the rate of trail building.

Fulfilling the volunteer labor requirements to finish the project’s scope within one calendar year is a worry. We have done much to get the word out and have had a pair of work days with pathetic turnout and hope that changes.

The machinery rental will be new to our club. I operated a Cat and other heavy and small equipment and owned Bobcats years ago so it looks like I’ll be the first chef in that stew. Machinery rental seems like it could be the answer to so few bikers giving their time.

Any advice would be call your trails “multi-sport single track trail” opposed to mountain bike trail and say it’s for snow shoers if applicable. Over time other users started using and enjoying our work and that was key to the broad support we have now.
    Last edited by bitflogger; 05-09-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    Fulfilling the volunteer labor requirements to finish the project’s scope within one calendar year is a worry. We have done much to get the word out and have had a pair of work days with pathetic turnout and hope that changes.
    That's always an issue. Volunteers need incentive. If you can, combine the work days with a ride at the same trail and hopefully over what you just built. It gives the workers a sense of ownership. Also, let the volunteers make informed decisions about aspects of the trail. Lastly, solicit schwag from local shops. Don't just go to bike shops, either. Think non-bike related things someone using the trail will need. And don't jsut ask the shop, "Can you give us some schwag?" Make a short presentation showing them how donating merchandise will help them. If you have enough time, create a flyer for the event and list the schwag donors on it.

Good luck!

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    That's always an issue. Volunteers need incentive. If you can, combine the work days with a ride at the same trail and hopefully over what you just built. It gives the workers a sense of ownership. Also, let the volunteers make informed decisions about aspects of the trail. Lastly, solicit schwag from local shops. Don't just go to bike shops, either. Think non-bike related things someone using the trail will need. And don't jsut ask the shop, "Can you give us some schwag?" Make a short presentation showing them how donating merchandise will help them. If you have enough time, create a flyer for the event and list the schwag donors on it.

Good luck!

D

Been there, done that, but thanks very much. I would say in our case it has helped add a few new faces, but that is very important when it's a small group who does all the work. What comes to mind is how people do not realize that a few more people a few times a year would make a huge difference in just one or two seasons.
    Last edited by bitflogger; 05-10-2006 at 04:39 AM.

Don't worry, be happy!

Down to the wire....

Grant update.

One of our guys offered to write the proposal as he works for public TV. Then, waiting, and waiting and waiting and waiting to hear back from the IRS. Finally on Friday of Mem weekend we get a letter but it's only the acknowledgement of our application

So, onto Plan B. REI recommended trying to find another organization that has it's 501 to be willing to act as a pass through fiscal agent for us. Haha, YOU try and do this Memorial Weekend again. I tried the local trails coalition, of which we are a member, but they don't have thier non-profit yet either. Then I talked to the president of the State Park Foundation, at the park where we've done a lot of work. I had a momentary flash of inspiration and just for the heck of it called IMBA in Boulder... I figured, hey you can always ask, right?

I get everything together over the weekend just in case somene says "yes". Late Monday, the Park Foundation guy calls to tell me they were open to the idea, but their financial officier had issues with the fiscal agent pass through part. Darn, but thanks for considering it.

The Deadline is Weds ( yesterday) and by Tuesday I gave up. Then, lo and behold , yesterday at noon the financial guy from IMBA calls and says they'll do it. OMFG, I spent the rest of the day filling out the online forms, printing out the supplementary materials and so on. So, the grant is IN!! Now we just wait 4-6 weeks.

Then I went out last night and helped put in 200' of new singletrack. That felt really good after almost having spazzout over this thing.

formica

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Congratulations, formica! It pays to be an IMBA member! Woohooo!

D

Don't worry, be happy!

UPDATE: we got it!!

at last night's meeting, the REI assist manager ( and new member) announced they just found out we got a grant for $2200! I really want to thank everyone here who provided some input! Nothing like going shopping with someone else's money! The budget was written for tools: mcloeds, BOB trailer, GPS and software, hip chains, rechargeable drills, IMBA books, plus signage.

all I can say is wow.

Formica

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Congratulations! How does that work with IMBA as your fiscal sponsor? We are still waiting for our 501 (c) 3 application to go through and want to apply for a grant.

Don't worry, be happy!
    REI corporate had suggested it, so I just called IMBA and talked to thier financial office. We do have a letter from the IRS that gives our intermediary status.

Members who have read this thread: 0