Race Fuel- Mtbr.com

Thread: Race Fuel

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Race Fuel

Just wondering if anyone else runs "Race Fuel" in your motor tools...

... eliminates all Ethanol problems associated with pump gas, and they run better too...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    dumped some leftover vp into my mower once. Ran amazing for about 10 minutes till the piston melted and it broke the crank. Never tried it again.

featherweight clydesdale
    Have not and not sure I'd try.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'd like to know how the piston melted and the crank broke... The purpose of Race Fuel is to offer a higher quality fuel that burns / operates at a lower temperature... In other words race fuel is meant to deture melting pistons and other engine failures related to heat. This is why people use it. You can increase your engine compression (which increases heat), but the way to combat this increase compression from failure is to use a higher octane fuel. Many race fuels are also leaded, lead has lubricating properties, so this would also be a benifit... The only real down side I could see here, is that if your motor does not have the performance / compression to actually need race fuel, you'll be wasting money (race fuel costs more), and you'll most likely lose performance.

The root of the failure posted above was most likely due to having bad fuel...

saddlemeat
    Where do you buy race fuel?
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I`ve used c-12 and purple cam 2 in my chainsaw and weed eater 32/1 with no problems. Not sure i`d try mr-12

hello pot? this is kettle
    Some race fuels have additives that are incompatible with 2 stroke oils. I'd be a little wary of that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ^^^ never heard of that before ^^^. Race fuel cost to much to be running in my small equipment. VP sells this fuel just for small equipment. I dont know the cost. I'm a landscaper I never had any Ethanol related problems. knock on wood.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Where do you buy race fuel?
    Many sources...

... but here's one that I use in my motos and trail tools!

Please remember I'm a dyed in the wood 2 stroke guy, so I have never run race fuel in any of the new 4 stroke or fuel efficient trail tool engines, and it''s always best to check your warranties or contact your manufactures as you wouldn't want to void or do damage to you tools.

I use the C12
    motocross racing fuel, supercross racing fuel

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Wow...

... I think this thread is running on race fuel...

it posted my response 3 times

... please delete this one and the ... response!

Thanks
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 11-15-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, I run the same fuel in my chainsaw, Echo string trimmer, and blower as I run in my KTM250exc.

100ll Avgas with Klotz r-50.

I would love to see documented info about race fuel being bad for two strokes. Ethanol is bad for two strokes. Alcohol fuels in two strokes strip away lube oil, often to get proper lubrication it requires castor or bean oils which are good but create other issues if the engines don't run hot enough to capitalize on the oil.

Best of luck with it.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

The unleaded race gas I use is 13% ethanol and 5% methylbenzine. Feel free to run that through your chainsaw and get back to us with the repair bill amount. There are lots of race gases that are fine for, or even specifically designed to run, 2 strokes. Some ain't. That's all I said.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paetersen View Post
    The unleaded race gas I use is 13% ethanol and 5% methylbenzine. Feel free to run that through your chainsaw and get back to us with the repair bill amount. There are lots of race gases that are fine for, or even specifically designed to run, 2 strokes. Some ain't. That's all I said.

Which specific fuel?

I have run various oxygenated fuels in four strokes but never in two strokes.

Seems odd that a race gas would supplement with ethanol, it would certainly make the proper jetting exacting to the fuel. Truth be told, I never suspected, nor went looking for ethanol in race gas. Then again all my race 4 strokes have been gone for a while and I just run 100ll in all the two strokes.

PK

Sunoco GT plus 104 unleaded. looking through the spec sheets I see a lot of unleaded race gas has ethanol or methanol or toluene (methylbenzine). I agree with you- I'd run 100LL in a 2 stroke all day long. But that's not race gas, that's AvGas.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Avgas is cheap and readily available. It contains a bit of tolulene, plus of course TEL (lead). Ironically, outside of the US, 100ll is often repackaged and sold as race gas.

I have run GT104 a while back, it could have been GT Plus but I don't recall. I do remember it having MTBE. VP has some crazy fuels like the old U4 and it new cousins, IIRC about 4% O2 and MTBE. Those two come to mind as being pretty potent to be around. Again not sure about the ethanol.

Besides 100ll, if you had VP C-12 that would be fine as would Klotz if available.

PK