Pictures of steps- Mtbr.com
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Pictures of steps

I thought we had a thread with pictures of steps. I searched for "steps". I searched for stairs. I was not lucky with either.

Sooo....post pictures of steps. (or a link to an old thread that you remember). I'd like to see what y'all have built.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I have pics of the wrong way to build stairs.

When you build this ^^^

Eventually you end up with this \/

I would say nice "before" and "after", but the "after" is not very nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If the trail is so steep that steps are needed isn't that an indication the trail alignment is too steep?
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

Sean:

You are correct. The need for steps indicates the alignment is steep. Sometimes that is good, as is the case for a certain trail in Sandy, OR.

In my case, it is not so good and I can't change it. I am stuck with the alignment because it was included in the environmental assessment for the project, which has already gone through NEPA and made it through public comment. The land manager does not want to go through another NEPA action for a change in alignment. I don't blame him. It would be difficult, time consuming and expensive to go through another NEPA event, even if it were only a categorical exclusion.So.... I have been asked how to address the grade AND make it sustainable for horses in the rainy Inland NW.

I have a design laid out. I just wanted to see if there were others that did it and if there were some esthetic values I could plagurize.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Looking at more of a rider ability perspective, the spacing is critical. To short makes for an inability to climb. Spaced at wheel length makes it fairly impossible to descend let alone ascend.

From a builder perspective, factors would be what resources would be at hand. If large one-two man stones are available preferably with flat surface you could armor up some permanent steps. A little creativity with the stone could introduce some technical features within the work that could be added on purpose/accident depending on what the situation is.

Wooden logs is common to see here.

They really look alot like a turnpike job, where a box is created and filled with tread surface. If i were to do em this way i would look to break up the distance so they are not so uniform, if possible. In other words the spacing would run 8' to 10' to 7' to 10' to 8'. Just to break up the sequence of timing in the riding experience. That might work well depending on what the hill looks like you're working on.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was wondering if you had a situation that the existing trail has to be fixed and not rerouted. I haven't had a need to do any steps in our trail networks but I think Skookum has given some good pointers.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

Timmay!!!

I might need a gas powered jackhammer for this job!!!!

All the steps will be boxed with drains on either side enginerded out to keep 'em dry and stable. Rise on the steps is 8 inches. Run on each is about 7 feet. Grade of each steps run is about 6%.

Yep, there is a grade on each step. In order to make it horse and bike friendly, I had to make 7 foot runs. However, to cram the steps in to less than ideal total run length of 117', I had to give each step a grade. It couldn't be flat. I'll try to vary run length, but I just don't have much room to do so.

I am glad I still remember who to survey!!!!

Sean:

I do a lot of "fixing".

Al

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blaster

Viscy,

Don't forget you have friends with a Microblaster. We would be more than happy to send you the drill and blaster if you need it for the job. You'll just need to buy the charges. For some reason, the mail service gets cranky about sending small explosives.

Can't wait to ride the end product. Or better yet come up and help you build it and then ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    "All the steps will be boxed with drains on either side..."

I am concerned you have drains on both sides of the stairs which seems to indicate these stairs go staight up the fall line. Drains on both sides could cause gullying on both sides of the stairs. You might want to put the drains all on one side of the stairs and then build a reinforced/armored drain on that one side. You can then angle the front of your boxed stairs a little bit so they work like waterbars to help force the water off into the "ditch".

bweide:

The stairs are being put in on a "trail" that has an average grade of 16%. The trail was cut into a hill as an old skid road. You could loosely call it a bench now, as things have overgrown. In roadway design (sorry, I am an engineer) and much like turnpikes. roads are elevated with drainage channels (as you pointed out) on one...or either sides. This old road is a pain to put steps in because a) it is steep and b) there is an embankment/berm on the outslope the gives the trail cross-section a u-shape. To prevent what happened to UncleTrail, I have to build what Skookum stated. A turnpike/box step. To control water, I have to have at least one drainage channel. I may need another because this project involves cut and fill. To control erosion within the channel, the drains will have check dams to reduce fluid velocity.

Who knew that that roadway design class back (way back) in college and years of reviewing project designs would prove so useful? Anyway, I just wanted pictures for esthetic design cues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher View Post
    To control erosion within the channel, the drains will have check dams to reduce fluid velocity.
    i love it when you use fancy words...

On that canyon, i actually impressed myself. Problem, drainage, pumptrack, attempt at a sump, too much volume, equals lake. Excavator, trench higher than lake, use content fill tread, handwork cut edge, revegatate, raking back to a perfect 2% grade all from my eagle eye. Water seeps like i gave it a sedative...

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher View Post
    Anyway, I just wanted pictures for esthetic design cues.
    Just carve out happy faces onto the butt ends of the logs and you'll do fine...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Yuck Faces on the corners and smileys in the middle!!! Awesome. Best idea yet!!

You have the eagle eyes. I have the chamelon eyes. Thus, I have the Abney level.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    Is this Blue Bay? I havnt got to check out this section yet.. Sounds "interesting" to say the least..

Yup. Blue Creek Bay.

Members who have read this thread: 0