Path crossing Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Path crossing Trail

I am in the initial planning stages of a new section of single-track that looks like it will need to cross a "hiking" trail. All if can find about this says: don't cross.

The single-track could easily cross the trail perpendicularly as the trail goes straight downhill where I am thinking of crossing it. And both bike and hike trails will have very few people on them, especially at the same time.

Are there any standards to doing this? Are there any hints about the specifics of the actual trails (thinner track where they cross? wider? perpendicular or angled? signage?)
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    you need to think about 3 things 1. speed control use turns and tighter trail to slow the MTBrs down to a walking pace while maintaining fun 2 sight-lines every one needs a chance to see each other before they meet so stay away from large trees ect 3 signs if the trails are not multi use they need clear marking as to what is what and it is good to mark that there is a upcoming crossing think of it like a railroad crossing a motorway

hope this helps

Hermit
    I was at a place that has this situation just this morning - Moraine State Park, PA where the singletrack crosses the North Country Trail.

The singletrack is pretty rocky at Moraine, and they set up a rock to ride over immediately before and after the path crosses - so that the path goes perpendicularly through the 6' wide space between two rock ride overs. The flow of the path is such that turning perpendicular, onto the path, would be difficult. The way it's set up it's almost hard to see the path, and I'm sure some riders cross right over it without even noticing.

There is a "no bikes" sign on the path going in either direction, about 10' feet out from the crossing.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The first time I saw the rainbow bridge at the Japanese garden in San Francisco, I thought how cool it would be to ride one of these at a trail crossing.

Totally impractical, but cool.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Our trails and trail users include MTB/Hiking, Moto, and Quad...

...when ever one trail crosses the other we always do it at a 90 degree intersection. In the few places we have that don't allow a 90 degree crossing it's marked accordingly as to it's use!

If the MTB/Hiking trail crosses at a "fast" Moto/Quad section we slow the MTB trail down by rock or log jambs or an "S" turn right before the intersectons! MTB/Hikers are the slower trails users and can hear the Moto/Quads coming so they have to yield to the Moto/Quad users!

Just a note: This is a private propery land area, and all users are educated to the rules before riding, no Moto/Quads are allowed on MTB trails!

Works great, usually everyone waves to each other too, good stuff!

mtbr member
    Very good ideas. Hadn't thought of some of the issues mentioned. Thanks!

My big worry had been that "new-to-the-trail" bikers would get confused when crossing and potentially have accidents. Less about hitting a pedestrian at the cross and more about waffling which way to go, locking the brakes, and getting rear ended. Made me think of some other things to take into consideration.

Low speed and very good signage should do the trick. Thanks.
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If your mountain bike trail is contouring along a hillside you can also place a climb on both side of the trail crossing so the mountain bikes are moving slowly when they actually make the crossing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, dont make them out of dead trees, i learned that one the hard way