OT: Resources for doubletrack/ATV trails- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

OT: Resources for doubletrack/ATV trails

I have some clients who have some trails they use to access points throughout their property on ATVs and UTVs. A couple sections are a mess: erodable soil, steep fall-line trails with deep ruts and earth-berm "water bars" that are starting to fill in as the mud oozes down the track.

They seem intent on just repairing these trails and moving forward. I'd like to offer them some advice as to how to make their trail system more sustainable (major reroute!) but my limited experience is all with singletrack, so I don't know how well our MTB trail-building techniques scale up.

Anyone have any suggestions for books/websites, etc where I could send them for good information as to how to make trails that will last and not end up muddying up the trout stream below?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

FatBike Fiend

USDA Manual

"Managing Degraded Off-Highway Vehicle Trails in Wet, Unstable, and Sensitive Environments" by Kevin G. Meyer is a great resource by an Alaskan soils scientist who has spent an entire career dealing with ATV mitigation in mucky soils and permafrost.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/trailpub.htm

Good luck.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I remember reading Wildfire's recommendation. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with permafrost!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    The priniciples behind many of our mtb trail building techniques do scale up. Water doesn't know if its running down an atv trail or a mtb trail, its all just physics.

A reroute would be my first choice. You can't repair poor alignment any more than you can tell water to ignore gravity.

My second choice involves a few thousand dollars in heavy equipment, geotextiles, and aggregates. Through brute force, a little engineering, and tons of imported materials you could build a fall line segment that is relatively durable- Even if it requires periodic maintenance and is 5 times the cost of a simple reroute.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    As Thump suggested, I would do the a reroute with the appropriate grade, crown, and base.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I have some clients who have some trails they use to access points throughout their property on ATVs and UTVs. A couple sections are a mess: erodable soil, steep fall-line trails with deep ruts and earth-berm "water bars" that are starting to fill in as the mud oozes down the track.

They seem intent on just repairing these trails and moving forward. I'd like to offer them some advice as to how to make their trail system more sustainable (major reroute!) but my limited experience is all with singletrack, so I don't know how well our MTB trail-building techniques scale up.

Anyone have any suggestions for books/websites, etc where I could send them for good information as to how to make trails that will last and not end up muddying up the trout stream below?
    Here's another book that has a lot to say about ATV trails:

I couldn't find a web site but here's a mailing address:

State of Minnesota, Dept. of Natural Resources, 2007
    "Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines"
    Trails and Waterways Division
    500 Lafayette Road
    St. Paul, Minn 55155-4052

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Here's another book that has a lot to say about ATV trails:

I couldn't find a web site but here's a mailing address:

State of Minnesota, Dept. of Natural Resources, 2007
    "Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines"
    Trails and Waterways Division
    500 Lafayette Road
    St. Paul, Minn 55155-4052
    I'd have to look at this document, but the MN DNR really uses IMBA trail building principals in their books and it contains photos from our MORC (Minnesota Off-Road Cyclist) trails. We are opening up our first trail destination trail system this summer with the MN DNR at Cuyuna. The MN DNR and now many other local managers in our state are really into the sustainable trails thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0