OMG I got a backhoe, now I can really mess things up!- Mtbr.com
    K&K

OMG I got a backhoe, now I can really mess things up!

I know, there should be a law against posting without pics, but I was by myself, so there are no pics.

I've been working on a training track for my middle-school team. It was supposed to be an MTB training track, but it is evolving into more of a flat, bike-park trail with lots of berms (no jumps); that's the best descriptor I can come up with.

To this point, all work has been by hand. Today, the district brought me their backhoe and permission to use it at will, DAMN I'm excited. I got about 20 minutes on it today. I've used a mini-ex before and got really comfortable with that but DANG this is so much harder! I was surprised, I thought my time on the mini-ex would help but nope... Guess I got my work cut out for me.

K&K
    Here she is!
    OMG I got a backhoe, now I can really mess things up!-kubota.jpg

Got a few minutes in on my break at lunch. I was pretty overwhelmed the first go but I think I'm getting the hang of it.
    OMG I got a backhoe, now I can really mess things up!-first-40-minutes.jpg

After school got a couple hours in.
    OMG I got a backhoe, now I can really mess things up!-after-school-day-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Awesome. Do you know what's underground pipe and wire wise? With a TLB you can do almost anything with dirt.

K&K
    I was assured by the grounds supervisor that as long as I didn't go more than 2', I was good anywhere. I was sweating it a bit because there is that big box right there and I was imagining hitting some water line for the irrigation system the day after they gave it to me. Now that I think about it, I think I might ask him to request a blue-stake after all, just to be sure.

mtbr member
    Thatís frickin awesome!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

K&K
    Spent 5 hours on the machine this morning and I found one of those pipes you asked about Karthur! Thank goodness it was an uncharged watering line. I had everything I needed to fix it and a backhoe to dig it out, so the repair took less than a half hour. I also noticed a bit of what looks like coaxial cable in my spoils along with some old survey markers; that makes me nervous... more reason to push for blue-stake. Though I don't think either would have shown up, I still would like some confirmation that there isn't power or a charged water main anywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    hahaa I was going to comment on the fact you had been 'assured'.

Once the pipe is buried it's always a guess. As a guy who draws buried pipe all the time, I know it doesn't get built the same way and often time the construction manager doesn't document an as built as well as they could/should be.

Generally we'll have utilities surveyed and/or potholed when our design calls for digging up existing sites.

Unless you're digging in a cold climate, there is no way to guess how deep a pipe is buried. Since a cold climate has deeper frost line requirements. Even then somebody earlier in time could have buried a pipe shallow not understanding requirements.

The thing to be thankful for isn't that it was an uncharged water line, it is that it wasn't a gas line.

Have fun with the toy!
    it's going to be pretty fun for you to learn the techniques.

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    hahaa I was going to comment on the fact you had been 'assured'.
    It sounds so predictable when you put it that way.

The thing to be thankful for isn't that it was an uncharged water line, it is that it wasn't a gas line.
    Oh man, I hadn't even considered that. It is the perimeter of a school athletic field. I THINK that the field watering system is the only utilities there (and so does the grounds sup). In your experience, would you think there might be anything else? The area was farmland before the school was built.

Have fun with the toy! it's going to be pretty fun for you to learn the techniques.
    I am having a good time, put in 10 hours today, but the main hydraulic line blew a leak and I have a very unfinished hole in the ground and I hit a watering line. Wonder how much good-will I just burned. They just had it serviced so I'm inclined to suspect something was not done right, but that doesn't change the fact that I was using it when it happened.

https://youtu.be/gwf8P4TYplQ

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Old tractors blow hyd lines. They can be expensive and a pita to replace depending on how they are routed. Increasing the system pressure will make this more likely to happen.

Also the highest rpm I would run the tractor for long periods of time is 540 PTO rpm as marked on the tach. That old thing won't last running at WOT all day.

I'd call miss utility, it's a free service around here. Anything could be down there from dangerous, to just expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Also tractors are dangerous. Go on YouTube and watch all the tractor fail videos if you haven't. Sometimes it important to know what NOT to do. Warning you might see someone die in these videos but it's important to know that is a possiblity when using a tractor.

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by karthur View Post
    Also tractors are dangerous. Go on YouTube and watch all the tractor fail videos if you haven't.
    I know, right! I've watched a bunch. They really are educational; after watching a few, you can predict what's gonna happen simply by looking at the situation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    It sounds so predictable when you put it that way.

Oh man, I hadn't even considered that. It is the perimeter of a school athletic field. I THINK that the field watering system is the only utilities there (and so does the grounds sup). In your experience, would you think there might be anything else? The area was farmland before the school was built.

I am having a good time, put in 10 hours today, but the main hydraulic line blew a leak and I have a very unfinished hole in the ground and I hit a watering line. Wonder how much good-will I just burned. They just had it serviced so I'm inclined to suspect something was not done right, but that doesn't change the fact that I was using it when it happened.

https://youtu.be/gwf8P4TYplQ
    I definitely can't ASSURE you that the field is clear, but anything is possible. I suppose one would consider the site and figure whether or not there is reason to have additional buried utility. Are there any utility sheds separated by this field? They will need to run conduits or gas or water or sewer from point to point. If there isn't anything else out there, it seems logical that there would only be the irrigation system. If there are no freeze depth rules there, then it's possible to have the irrigation with less than 2' cover.

The other thing to find out is if there have been decommissioned structures in the past. If a structure has been torn down, the burled lines will have been abandoned in place, usually. If so you may encounter buried pipe that does nothing at this point. Hopefully an uncharged line when abandoned and shut off earlier in the system.

I agree with you though, in a HS athletic field it sounds safe -as long as the field area didn't have a past life containing structure.

mtbr member
    Lots of old French drains around here on the valley floor, from farming in the 19th and 20th centuries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    You should have gotten the guy that "assured" there was nothing out there to give that in writing. At least you'd have something to use as TP if the need arises!

Irrigation lines for the fields is the most obvious thing you'll encounter, but there can also be low voltage control wire for the sprinkler valves.

Buried electrical lines is also a possibility if the fields have lighting, or service to utility sheds, concession stands, scoreboards etc. And while you might think, it's an open field that nobody would run a utility through, somebody else may have thought, "hey, it's a lot more expensive to run my utility all they way around the edge of these fields."

You can play the "what if" game all day long guessing what could have be out there, so it's best to do your due diligence and make the call for a utility locate.
    No dig no whine

If you happen to dig up the cross country fiber optic line it's a cool 1 million minimum to repair it, you probably should call 811 to verify what is and isn't there.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

K&K
    Blue stake called, and survey done. Only one line found. Still have a City-owned watering controller that I need to locate the power to.

K&K

More fun

Added a small hill and 4 new berms.
    https://youtu.be/dQ1EMakP8Yo

K&K
    Damn, that's fun!
    https://youtu.be/OWlLTF62mT0[/VIDEO]