New York...Adirondacks- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

New York...Adirondacks

Hey, I'm just wondering about what IMBA is doing in the Adirondack region of New York. It is the largest Park in the country yet mountain biking is widely restricted. I can't even find an action group in the area in which to get involved with. I am a college student at Plattsburgh State University and I know that the bike club would love to get involved in helping to open up areas in the region. The high peaks section of the park is terribly restricted, but yet is the nicest part. If anyone could fill me in on what is going on in the region (because i have yet to find any active movements going on) it would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

3 letters...ADK

Quote Originally Posted by dkell113
    Hey, I'm just wondering about what IMBA is doing in the Adirondack region of New York. It is the largest Park in the country yet mountain biking is widely restricted. I can't even find an action group in the area in which to get involved with. I am a college student at Plattsburgh State University and I know that the bike club would love to get involved in helping to open up areas in the region. The high peaks section of the park is terribly restricted, but yet is the nicest part. If anyone could fill me in on what is going on in the region (because i have yet to find any active movements going on) it would be much appreciated.

Sorry DK,

You're screwed for two reasons. The first is the ADK club. Consider them "Sierra Club East". You will never meet a group of grumpy old codgers with more time on their hands than them. As long as they're around, you will have a better chance of seeing pigs fly then riding your bike on anything but old logging roads up there. If you want a real laugh, go to an EMS and check out their "ADK Mountain Bike Trail book". It's bascially a PR ploy to show how "open" they are to alternative uses in the park. Alternative being code word for "anything but hiking". The book (in all it's photocopied glory) is full of desolate, sunbaked, logging roads.

Reason two..."Federal Wilderness designation". Many ADK type groups are in favor of NY's plans to designate many acres of the park as "Federal Wilderness". That's code word for no biking...ever.

It's sad. Bush wants to drill for oil in Alaska and we can't get a few miles of trail to ride on.

IMBA is not in the business of going up against groups that oppose our right to trail use. They roll over quicker than dog looking for it's next treat. Your best bet is to try and secure some local (private) land to ride on...or better yet, go to Vermont and ride to your heart's content. Their liability laws are different than in NY. If you get hurt on someone else's land over there, it's your fault...gee...what a concept.

Best of luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0