New Trail System, but the county is skimping...- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

New Trail System, but the county is skimping...

Hey everyone,
    I am writing a paper about our county's new trail system. The main topic is a railroad bridge that is no longer in operation. The county plans to use this bridge to span the Des Moines River, here in SE Iowa, but they are simply going to repair the bridge, rather than rebuild it, as was recommended by an engineering firm, who inspected teh bridge. What reaction do you have? I would really like to put some opinions of bikers in my paper, so lets have them. Thanks for your help!!!

Probably drunk right now

Not enough information...

Quote Originally Posted by jwbradley77
    Hey everyone,
    I am writing a paper about our county's new trail system. The main topic is a railroad bridge that is no longer in operation. The county plans to use this bridge to span the Des Moines River, here in SE Iowa, but they are simply going to repair the bridge, rather than rebuild it, as was recommended by an engineering firm, who inspected teh bridge. What reaction do you have? I would really like to put some opinions of bikers in my paper, so lets have them. Thanks for your help!!!
    We can't really offer any opinions until you provide more information. How about a link to additional sources of information.

My opinion? New trail systems are great!

"I thought you were dead"
    Mar 2005
    I'd have to agree with Ken.... we need more "data".

Retro-fitting a railroad bridge as a pedestrian/bike bridge is great idea. I'd call it "in-situ recycling". If it held million-pound freight trains in the past, there shouldn't be much of a need to rebuild it for the weight of a few dozen users on their bikes or those running with their jogger-stollers. It probably just needs a "safety upgrade" and maybe some paint.

Sep 2006
    http://www.ottumwacourier.com/archiv...search_results

Here is a link to the newspaper articles about this project. Many of them include other information about our County Supervisor meetings, but I hope they help understand what is going on.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a reasonable solution with the three options that were stated.

Repair the existing.....a complete refurbish.....or a complete rebuild, with a couple million dollars in price difference.

If it's simply to be a trail bridge for hiking, biking and equestrians; it does not take much to accomplish this. Converting an existing railroad bridge sound like a pretty frugal solution.

Sep 2006
    I am starting to change my way of thinking. You guys are right. I should be happy that the local government is going ahead with the project at all. I am also beginning to see how they wouldnt have to make drastic improvements for pedestrian traffic. Thanks for your input, and anyone else is more than welcome to help out, as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0