National Trails Day- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

National Trails Day

who's got an activity planned?
    I think we'll do a cleanup of one of our riding areas.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I'll certainly be working on trail then, just not in my home town area. I'm sure our club will have an event or two.

Dewayne

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    We pitch in with another local trail organization who has had a huge NTD event for several years. They're more hiking oriented, but responcible for establishing a 25 mile rustic perimeter trail around the city. We've had great success helping them out with their event. We mix our experienced trail builders with their multitudes of volunteers and good things happen. Bikes have used the trail for years. It's our chance to do our part and give a little back.

beer thief
    We do an annual event here in NH's White Mtns. It's about the worst time of year for those horrendous biting blackflies. I wish they'd move NTD to July.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Our event for the Madison, WI area will also be an REI service project. It is at Blue Mound State Park where over several years the trails have evolved from gravel ski trails to 11+ miles of single track and terrain unlike anything in the area.

REI has been very generous, and we often have more non-bikers than bikers working on our single track.

Don't worry, be happy!
    No kidding about REI. Our local has been a great supporter.
    My only beef about National Trails day is that all the promotional stuff is geared towards hikers.

Feeling a little taller
    We're putting in 2 new miles of shared use singletrack in Martinez, CA with V-O-Cal (Volunteers for Outdoor California).

BTW, neat article found: Study Refutes MTB Erosion Impact
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No kidding about REI. Our local has been a great supporter.
    My only beef about National Trails day is that all the promotional stuff is geared towards hikers.
    That's true, but I take it. We have had non-bikers outnumber bikers at our club's biggest project and what has become the best and biggest single track around here so it's all good, and in a few cases some of them have tried a bike. Trail runners have not obviously (as in announced themselves) joined us, but some do support the park friends group that in turn supports us.

I do not know about other areas, but around here most bikers are sadly pathetic in the realm of giving. It's hard to believe that these people complain about lack of trails and about the trails, but do not realize or do the very little it would take to make big change.

I have not done any trail riding in a year due to the time spent working and having 3 mini kids so I do hike the trails too. If my kids become riders I'll have plenty of trail for them when it happens... Right now one of my 3 y.o. twins wants a real bike and no more trike.

Oh well, I'll keep my hopes that many show up tomorrow and that we get a lot done.
    Last edited by bitflogger; 06-01-2007 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member

Good outcome

I was at the same Trails Day as Bitflogger. We had a good turnout despite the rain. There was even a decent number of MTBers there.

We were able to make a massive rock stream crossing and finish filling in a switchback, plus finish the bench cut on a small section.

Bitflogger is being modest about his contributions. We single-handedly
    (double-handedly?) built 3 miles of new singletrack last year. Thanks to REI and the BMSP Friends for the cash to make it happen.

It has been difficult to keep the trail maintenance going. On the plus side we have two guys who are very active this season. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a lot of difference.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    That's true, but I take it. We have had non-bikers outnumber bikers at our club's biggest project and what has become the best and biggest single track around here so it's all good, and in a few cases some of them have tried a bike. Trail runners have not obviously (as in announced themselves) joined us, but some do support the park friends group that in turn supports us.

I do not know about other areas, but around here most bikers are sadly pathetic in the realm of giving. It's hard to believe that these people complain about lack of trails and about the trails, but do not realize or do the very little it would take to make big change.

I have not done any trail riding in a year due to the time spent working and having 3 mini kids so I do hike the trails too. If my kids become riders I'll have plenty of trail for them when it happens... Right now one of my 3 y.o. twins wants a real bike and no more trike.

Oh well, I'll keep my hopes that many show up tomorrow and that we get a lot done.

Members who have read this thread: 0