Munising trails -- update and a photo- Mtbr.com
    Enthusiast

Munising trails -- update and a photo

Just thought I'd post an update on our trail project. We now have 1.5 miles (by my GPS) of rideable trail. Put quotes around "rideable", because some sections you really have to have some "want to". We're slowly working on getting those smoothed out and bench cut where it's needed--especially the abrupt transitions that want to send you OTB. But there is a treadway that is pretty much clear of saplings and stumps -- a mile and a half's worth.

Photo below of a difficult corner the kids and I worked over yesterday. I did not think to grab a before photo, but the thing was a mess. Humpy ground, tree in the middle of the treadway, off camber turns, and underneath the humps we discovered old stumps and a seemingly endless collection of bits of wood and half-rotted branches. I thought I'd gotten in over my head at first, but the kids and I managed to get all the old wood dug out. What a job.

We've had some recent rains. Those have reduced my worries over the sandy soil.

Munising trails -- update and a photo-trail20120607.jpg

mtbr member
    difficult turn? maybe berm it. This little berm worked wonders on a steep, tight turn. It took 3 of us about 4 hours to install, the lighter colored stuff isn't sand, we had to dig deep for any usable soil. It packed in quite nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Munising trails -- update and a photo-sphias-berm.jpg  

Munising trails -- update and a photo-berm-riding.jpg  

Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Enthusiast
    Nice trail Pascale. I had begun to berm. Hard to see in my photo, but there is a slight slope at top near my bike tire, and you can see where I had begun to pile up some sand.

Lost me nerve though. Was late. I was tired. Was afraid I'd make a mistake. I decided to leave any berming for another day. Did not want open up anything I couldn't finish that same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

Unpredictable
    It's always hard to tell from photos, but where does water get off the trails in those pics? It has to somewhere or there will be trouble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    It's always hard to tell from photos, but where does water get off the trails in those pics? It has to somewhere or there will be trouble.
    The 1st post or the berm?
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Unpredictable
    Both actually Pascale.

Enthusiast
    @ridn, I'll be coming back to that corner in a couple of weeks. I left it rideable, but there are still some finishing touches needed. For example, I may want to slope the tread some more, to aid the bike in making the turns. We've had some good rain lately too, so I'll be looking to see what effect it's had.

Traveling for work right now, else I'd be out there today and looking things over.

I am open to suggestions on drainage, btw, if you have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Both actually Pascale.
    It hard to tell from the pic bit the berm is on a steep grade. Run off is at the bottom, just out of frame of the first pic. We gotten several drenching rains over the last 3 months and couple of 2+ inch rainfalls with no issues. No erosion. There's a "nick" just past the berm and the water seems to be a non issue so far
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Members who have read this thread: 0