MTB and Equestrians together?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

MTB and Equestrians together?

There is an opportunity for mountain bikers to access and maintain trails on a very large tract of land that is owned by an equestrian center. They are viewing this as an opportunity for "labor" to maintain the trails, generate revenue with any races/events that can take place on site, generally be "good neighbors" to the rest of the community.

There will be a Meeting of the board in aweek or so to determine if this will move forward. I need to find documented instances of Equestrians and mountain bikers working TOGETHER to provide positive trail experience for both user groups. Best would be any state or local government owned tracts of land, But anything private would support

I do know of Scheaffer Farms in Maryland and Fair Hill in Maryland, where MTBers Built the trails and welcomed equestrians as well. Of course there is the Georgia International Horse Park in GA.

Thanks - Rob

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'll direct you to post #11 in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=323237
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe talk to the guys at CORC, here in Australia. They use STROMLO State Forest where the World MTB championships will be run next year, the forest is used in conjunction with the horsey set.

http://www.corc.asn.au/

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Here in Ontario, Canada (Niagara Region) we have a system of trails on Government owned land called the Short Hills Provincial Park.
    https://www.ontarioparks.com/english/shor.html

The trails are maintained by a the Provincial Government and by a group called "Friends of Short Hills Park" which I am told are mostly Equestrian types.
    https://www.friendsofshorthillspark.ca/

Some of the local MTB Races use sections of the Park for annual races like Liberty!'s annual Offroad Squeezer.
    https://www.libertybicycles.com/squeezer/

These multi-use trails are used by hikers, bikers and horseback riders.
    Generally it operates fairly smoothly with all groups using the area.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Rod
    mtbr member
    I believe, although I'm not 100% sure, that the trails in pisgah n.c. are multi use and everyone gets along well. I haven't been there myself, but I read it somewhere. Double check my info just to be sure.

Jul 2007
    http://www.friendsofpandapas.blogspot.com/

Generally the bikers do all of the trail work and the horses do a good job of fertilization. Overall though, horses and bikers get along really well at Pandapas.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder
    There is an opportunity for mountain bikers to access and maintain trails on a very large tract of land that is owned by an equestrian center. They are viewing this as an opportunity for "labor" to maintain the trails, generate revenue with any races/events that can take place on site, generally be "good neighbors" to the rest of the community.

There will be a Meeting of the board in aweek or so to determine if this will move forward. I need to find documented instances of Equestrians and mountain bikers working TOGETHER to provide positive trail experience for both user groups. Best would be any state or local government owned tracts of land, But anything private would support

I do know of Scheaffer Farms in Maryland and Fair Hill in Maryland, where MTBers Built the trails and welcomed equestrians as well. Of course there is the Georgia International Horse Park in GA.

Thanks - Rob
    It can work great as long as both users get to know the other and know what to expect. I have gone on many rides with horses and bikes together (both on the horse and on a bike) and it can be a lot of fun. The horses are generally faster on the steep ups--and will stop and wait for the bikes at the top without rider input--and they will try to keep up with the bikes on the flats/slight downhills. Just do not crash in front of the herd!

Getting to know each other as individuals makes all the difference. "Us" vs "Them" is never constructive.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TiRyder

Thanks - Rob
    Battling the same here in Georgia-not sure exactly how much interaction occurs at the Ga. Intl. Horse Park as I think the horse trails only cross the MTB trails. Property is shared but trails are completely separate-I think. SSinGA would know.
    A couple of websites with contact info that might help you.
    www.AERC.org
    www.SERAonline.org

The equestrian community is equally as passionate about trail systems as we are and eager to create arrangements that will work for both passions. In my experience, ongoing in fact both on a public trail that currently bans horses and a private for-profit trail that we've got a proposal pending on, the equestrians will bend over backwards for the opportunity.

The equestrian endurance events are growing in popularity from my research and would provide you with phenomenal support.

Where are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Where I ride, there are occasional riffs with horsemen. The main problem is the horsemen going out when the trails are muddy. There are parts of our trails that still haven't recovered (that's since last winter). However, there are a few of the horsemen who will come out and help maintain the trails. Another major issue is that it's difficult to get mtn bikers to show up for work days. It's difficult to maintain trails with just a handful of people.

*Contents Under Pressure
    In IL, CAMBR takes care of palos and horses are out there all the time....palos is seen as a model of equestrians and mtbrs enjoying the the same trails...
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

aka Jesse Palmer

Mdo

www.cccmb.org and montana de oro:

http://www.newtimesslo.com/index.php...rticle&id=2259

"We have a long history of working cooperatively with various equestrian groups as well as the Sierra Club hikers and many other trail users," Bettencourt said. "Because of our 20-year history of working cooperatively with other user groups, SLO County is free from the strife that [has] plagued many other parts of the state and nation. Representatives from different user groups all sit on the same government committees and participate in making decisions and moving things forward to everyone's best interest. This Feb. 4th, I would guess that we'll have two-thirds bikers and one third other trail users. We get 75-year-olds doing it for exercise and 15-year-olds doing it for community service. CCCMB provides crew leaders to make sure work gets done to standards and to instruct volunteers (because many have little or no experience) on how to do maintenance correctly."

mtbr member
    I'm late to the party, but if you still need info on good interactions:

There is a large urban park in Memphis, TN (Shelby Farms) where the equestrian and MTB groups work very well together to maintain the trails (www.midsouthtrails.com, www.shelbyfarmspark.org/sfpc/front). It started off as a "user group" including local MTB, equestrian, and runners groups. Unfortunately, the runners groups have not contributed as much as the other two groups.

Anyway, contact Brad through the midsouthtrails website and he could provide more details. Good luck!
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Pa Equine Council

Here's some great info and very helpful peolpe:

http://pennsylvaniaequinecouncil.com/

Gwen and Bud are great people and upon all the info to promote and maintain trails in PA. It might be different in your areas.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I have to chime in here. We are very fortunate here in Eastern WA to have a minimum of user conflict between wheels and hooves. Two guys are responsible for this, Ken C of the Backcountry Horsemen, and Mike Brixey our IMBA rep.

Many years ago on Mt. Spokane on some trail projects, someone with foresight made sure that the volunteer crews were NOT segregated by user type. Each crew had a hiker, horseman and mountain biker on them, and in this way some new relationships and understanding were formed about different user's desires and needs for the trail experience.

Fast forward to last week when I was at a State Parks round table open house, and Ken from the Backcountry Horsemen spent a lot of time talking about IMBA's standards for trail building as the gold standard for trail work. I thought that was pretty cool.

formica

Members who have read this thread: 0