MTB Club Membership Software- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

MTB Club Membership Software

Looking to get new membership software for our club.

What kind of software are other clubs using?

Thanx!

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB/IMBA

Don't worry, be happy!
    lol, Excel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanx... we are looking for software that can help with:

alpabetizing
    expiration notices
    search function to admit members to members only website forum
    mailing labels featuring renewal info
    sorting zip codes for mailings
    etc.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I hope you know I was being totally facetious. My club is miniscule and we aren't near to that level yet.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sick4surf

Thanx!

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB/IMBA
    MS Access.

Make your own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Formica, no problemo...I figured it was a joke! Great job on the power point you guys created a while back.

Dave54, thanx...I'll have our membership guy check it out.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    MS Access.

If I was looking to get new software though... would look at Openoffice or Staroffice. Much cheaper than Micro$oft and should be able to do everything that MS Access, Excel, and Word can do.

Good luck,

JmZ

Thanx!

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB/IMBA
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

May 2004
    We have not found a decent software solution.

We were running on an old customized DOS-based database. It worked okay.

Last November I ported our data to aMember, which is a web-based solution. It's free for the basic version and relatively inexpensive for the full-featured version. After using it for a couple months, I've found it to be mediocre. Some parts work okay while others are horribly incomplete (e.g. reporting, handling mailed in payments). The supposed phpbb interface is flat-out broken.

Even though we have the aMember source code, it is not well written and not easy to modify.

I do a lot of work in Access and I imagine there are even free configurations available for membership processing. However, I wanted the benefits of a web-based solution.

What are those benefits? People can sign up with aMember and their information goes automatically into our database while their payments go directly into our PayPal account. Easy. The software is configured to automatically send renewal emails out 30 days before a membership ends.

Our members can also go on-line and check their membership status, update their address or email, and change their chapter affiliation. We're also working on creating member-only "premium" portions of our web site, but that hasn't been completed yet.

Having a web-based solution means our chapter presidents can login as admins and check their membership numbers, export a memberlist, and send mass chapter emails. Our nominating committee can check membership status of candidates running for our state board. Our newsletter editor can simply go to a web page and copy the current members at the higher-paying levels.

Basically, having a web-based solution empowers members and volunteers to access and manipulate the data and not rely on a central staff person or volunteer.

I also modified our phpbb forum software so you can click on a user's profile and see if they're an MMBA member or not.

We also could use better integration with our accounting software (QuickBooks.)
    Last edited by Fishtoes2000; 01-13-2006 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's exactly what we are looking for...we want the members to be able to check their staus online and make updates themselves...the less work the membership guy has to do.

I am also thinking about creating seperate chapters since our membership is spread out over a large area.

MMBA rocks! I often go to your website for education and inspiration.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanx

May 2004
    --> MMBA rocks! I often go to your website for education and inspiration.
    Thanks!

I made the suggestion at a prior IMBA strategy session that we look at developing an open source member software solution. It could be limited to membership or it could include a complete mountain bike advocacy web site-in-a-box. The first step would be defining what such a beast would look like and what it would do. The second step would be finding the money to get it developed. My guess is both steps would make attractive grant recipients.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Here is a good source for learning about non profit databases:

http://www.techsoup.org/howto/articl...ases/index.cfm

There are an amazing number of affordable web-based products out there these days that come with all sorts of cool features.

Are any clubs using this type of product?

Pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imba_pete
    Here is a good source for learning about non profit databases:

http://www.techsoup.org/howto/articl...ases/index.cfm

There are an amazing number of affordable web-based products out there these days that come with all sorts of cool features.

Are any clubs using this type of product?

Pete
    Thanx again Pete!

Is anyone familiar with this software: http://www.amember.com/ ?

May 2004
    Thanx again Pete!

Is anyone familiar with this software: http://www.amember.com/ ?
    That's what we're trying to use now. After using it for a few months, I can no longer recommend it as a decent solution. It's probably easier than rolling your own with Access, but it's a very incomplete piece of software. It's mainly targetted towards web subscriptions.

I have a laundry list of aMembers issues that I can email you if you wish.

Before we purchased this software I did a bit of research but didn't find much that fit our needs. I didn't want to get stuck using Access because we wanted a web-based solution that ran on our Linux host. I went with aMember because it was mySQL based and supposedly interfaced with our forum software, phpbb (which turned out to be a very misleading claim.)

We use TechSoup and appreciate what they provide, but be forewarned that some of their articles are outdated (e.g. "Choosing a Membership Database That Works For You" is from 2000.)
    Last edited by Fishtoes2000; 01-18-2006 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishtoes2000
    I have a laundry list of aMembers issues that I can email you if you wish.
    Thanx, I'd love to see that laundry list, I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.

May 2004
    Thanx, I'd love to see that laundry list, I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.
    Amember problems

Manual (mailed-in) payment processing
    Doesn’t default payment based on product selection
    Defaults to invalid subscription end date
    Want: Default new start/end dates based on prior product expiration

Complementary memberships
    Not supported unless fake payments are added which corrupts active member counts

Code concerns
    Hard coded end dates (e.g. 2013-12-31)
    Not written in a clear or readable style

Custom fields
    Very limited data types (e.g. no date fields)
    Cannot change field names
    Interface bug (sometimes values not saved)

Email
    Cannot send multiple expire notifications
    Cannot send emails specifically to recently expired members
    Want: Cannot email based on user record selection (e.g. city, custom field)

Export
    No option to output header record
    Cannot export user status

Membercards
    No support for mailing membership packets/cards

phpBB integration
    Requires phpbb users no longer change their name
    Breaks phpbb usergroup functionality
    Does not support multiple phpbb-to-one aMember account

PayPal IPN
    PayPal says payment was complete, aMember says it’s not

Reports
    No renewal rate reporting
    No reports by product
    Difficult to add customized reports

mtbr member
    If you still haven't found a solution that works for ya, let me know if you'd be interested in working on a custom app to do what you need. Been building stand-alone and web-based apps for years, and maybe I can help out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'd be Interesed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoloHiker
    If you still haven't found a solution that works for ya, let me know if you'd be interested in working on a custom app to do what you need. Been building stand-alone and web-based apps for years, and maybe I can help out.
    [email protected], I'm current president of a small club and I could really see this as a big benefit to membership. I'd be interested in helping out, though I haven't programmed in many years.

Daniel

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hi SoloHiker,

We still haven't found a soluntion. If your willing to create a custom application, that would be great. I'm sure IMBA would most likely be interested in having this type of software availible for their affiliated MTB clubs too...seems like everyone will need this sooner or later.

How do you propose we start this rolling?

Thanks,

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    http://www.climbonline.org
    Last edited by sick4surf; 02-02-2006 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    How do you propose we start this rolling?
    I'm more than willing.

First step: define what the application needs to do in its most basic form (ie, features)
    Second: define whether this is to be a web app, a stand-alone app (ie, PC), or whether the app should be stand-alone with the capability of talking to a web-based application (something running under Windows IIS, for example; with apps that communicate with web-based data there is inevitable security issues that arise that must be dealt with)
    Third: define whether the app needs to import data from another application (or applications)

That's enough to get going on...

Steve

May 2004
    I'm sure IMBA would most likely be interested in having this type of software availible for their affiliated MTB clubs too...seems like everyone will need this sooner or later.
    Hi guys,

IMBA is actually about to run a trial program with a couple of clubs using a new eCRM provider we are teaming up with for a number of services. I'm sure we'll be publishing more about this in an upcoming newsletter. I'm not yet directly involved with it, but probably will be drawn into it soon enough. We're trying to provide additional services we know our affiliated clubs need and membership management, including online member management and payment processing, is at the top of the list. I'll post more as i know it.

James Buratti,
    IMBA web lackey

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm more than willing.

First step: define what the application needs to do in its most basic form (ie, features)
    Second: define whether this is to be a web app, a stand-alone app (ie, PC), or whether the app should be stand-alone with the capability of talking to a web-based application (something running under Windows IIS, for example; with apps that communicate with web-based data there is inevitable security issues that arise that must be dealt with)
    Third: define whether the app needs to import data from another application (or applications)

That's enough to get going on...

Steve
    Hey Steve,

Thanks for the offer...at our next meeting we'll go over the features needed and go from there.

I'll also wait for additional info from IMBA's web lackey

In the meantime...we may use Amember software.

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB
    http://www.climbonline.org

Members who have read this thread: 0