memorandum of understanding- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

memorandum of understanding

our local land manager wants our club to develop a 'memorandum of understanding' for existing trail maintenance and future trail building. i think it's also for liability issues. since this is the only local trail (so far) our club probably needs to look at it seriously instead of blowing it like we do so many things . do any of you have any suggestions or examples for us to follow? right now they want it just between our club and them but there are also other trail users that we might need to consider even if they aren't invited into the mix. thanks.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    IMBA has some great resources on their web site: Check here and scroll down toward the bottom for sample MOUs.

D

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    An MOU is just an agreement that spells out each parties responsibilities. It's actually quite common for parks to request this of "friends" groups. You could probably consider it an "adopt a trail" agreement. The liability should be covered by a volunteer waiver for each person who works on the trail. I doubt an MOU would cover that.

The Voice of Reason
    thanks. i guess i was thinking it was more complicated than it really is. is this one of those documents that could affect our club insurance? i guess i need to do more research.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer
    thanks. i guess i was thinking it was more complicated than it really is. is this one of those documents that could affect our club insurance? i guess i need to do more research.
    You're insurance shouldn't go up. Its just a semi formalization of verbal or implied agreements you already have in place. It is not "binding" on either party. We didn't agree to do "all" trailwork and we specifically put existing bridge maintenance on parks and rec. That IMO may even lower our liability, if we even have any as authorized volunteers. Send me a PM with you're email, I'll send you a copy of what we have with our local parks and rec.

Members who have read this thread: 0